Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19596566676869
Results 2,041 to 2,069 of 2069
  1. #2041
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...en-to-mls-move

    Zlatan already bored at Man U. I'd say he's in LA or NY this winter or next summer.
    He's also been, generally, crap.

  2. #2042
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    914
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...en-to-mls-move

    Zlatan already bored at Man U. I'd say he's in LA or NY this winter or next summer.



    http://www.espnfc.us/manchester-unit...y-ive-lived-in

    he changed his mind quickly, 2 weeks ago it was the best city ever lol

    all joking aside, he's being smart. He knows at his age he has to plan for the future. He has found the jump from france to Pl a lot more difficult than maybe he anticapted. You don't win the league at a canter and you don't score a goal a game ratio in pl whereas in France he did. A lot of fans are getting frustrated at the amount of playing time that Jose is giving to Ibra, and that's not something he'd be used to hearing, he is normally the golden boy. He's a great player but age catching up, he had a poor showing for Sweden at Euros also. Plus the pace of the pl has really exposed his lack of. He was suspended for the last match v Arsenal and Utd probably played their best game of the season without him. He'll see out this season with Utd, there was talk they had an option for another season, but I don't see it.

  3. #2043
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    He's also been, generally, crap.
    Watching drogba last year ... if Zlatan has anything left in the tank he'll be a handful for MLS defenders. That kind of size and skill is simply too much to deal with for most guys.

    I know that's a typical cliche for every past-it guy we talk about playing in MLS but I think good target men in this league have proven to be a handful for defenders in general.

  4. #2044
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    914
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    he's changed his mind again possibly, from today

    Mourinho said: "We are going to execute the option of a second season. After that he can do what he wants."
    Ibrahimovic said: "I feel in shape, feel fresh and good. If I feel like I do now, it will be a second year."

  5. #2045
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.mlssoccer.com/transaction...window-tracker

    MLS transfers and rumours tracker

    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

  6. #2046
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

    Even though our concentration is on the final (which it should be), MLS offseason moves kick in days after the final.
    Starting to think about roster changes over the summer and what we need to do to stay atop the league....

    Offseason Needs:
    - Get Cooper full time (he is fantastic)
    - Get reinforcement/s for the CB position (if we stick to the 3 in the back)
    - Upgrade Right-Wingback? Beit hasn't been great. He's not the attacking threat he use to be back in San Jose.
    - Get Backup DM for Bradley (When he was away, our midfield was unbalanced. We need a reserve DM)

  7. #2047
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Even though our concentration is on the final (which it should be), MLS offseason moves kick in days after the final.
    Starting to think about roster changes over the summer and what we need to do to stay atop the league....

    Offseason Needs:
    - Get Cooper full time (he is fantastic)
    - Get reinforcement/s for the CB position (if we stick to the 3 in the back)
    - Upgrade Right-Wingback? Beit hasn't been great. He's not the attacking threat he use to be back in San Jose.
    - Get Backup DM for Bradley (When he was away, our midfield was unbalanced. We need a reserve DM)
    Cooper for sure needs to be made permanent. Simonin and Williams are our current backup CBs, if one of them leaves we should find a replacement but otherwise 2 backups is enough. Beitashour doesn't need to be replaced, he was signed primarily to solidify our defense, which he has. Morrow is the fullback with more license to go forward. Beitashour does ok when he goes forward, and he has his moments (like the cross to Cheyrou on Wednesday night). If Johnson leaves (which I increasingly suspect he will) then signing another CM/DM type would probably be smart, but even there we're in decent shape with Cheyrou and Delgado. Hell, I'll even give Mannella a mention, with the way Vanney has developed our young guys this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him start contributing next season.

    This is gonna be the first offseason where all we're really gonna be talking about are luxury signings. We barely have any missing pieces. The only real concern is going to be replacing whoever we lose by the expansion draft.

  8. #2048
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We also have to start using TAM this offseason. It's burning a whole in our pocket. We'll see a significant signing to our starting 11. It'll be interesting to see where they use it. I figure it'll be a CB.

  9. #2049
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC formerly from Hamilton
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just watched the MTL game on PVR again...

    Uncertain about Beitashour...found wanting defensively quite a few times..a journeyman at best...but that cross to Cheyrou ... it was perfect. Morgan returning to fitness in 2017 lets see what happens.

    I would really be disappointed if Johnson leaves - the guy is a winner... next week is his 3rd MLS Cup Final - Canadian International from Toronto. Really he should be playing here. Please find a way to keep him - he brings chemistry...bite...heart..and he is a winner.

    Benoit Cheyrou - what a shift the man performed coming on for Gio. 100% class - reminds me of Lubomir Moravcik. Might have played the best 24 minutes anyone has played for TFC.

    Altidore - the guy has grown in stature game by game this year. The heart he shows..passion.. I questioned him as a DP a lot...he has proven himself 100%. What a player.

    Montreal - they were very good. Oduro...Piatti...Bernier...Bush (played for them since NASL)...Mauro Bielo...only Canadian born coach...they were a great adversary. The players that showed class when Giovinco went off were impressive. Tip of the hat.

    We've got Delgado..Bono...Chapman...and Hamilton all showing promise and depth they all could become starters and/or key players in the next year or two.

    Osario has played more games for TFC than anyone -he personifies this team.

    Ricketts - what an addition to the team. Loved watching Giovinco give him a few tips in the 2nd half of extra time.

    Cooper - keep. Love to see him in a second year.

    The key to success is keeping this squad together. As few changes as possible - 1-2 departures and signings is ll that is needed. There are players that will grow...I'd expect to see Haglund to be called up to the USMNT after Arena watched that performance.

    Keeping a squad together for two+ years that is the biggest difference. Vanney has done well and is growing as a coach.. I will enjoy watching it develop now over the next few years.

  10. #2050
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We're going to need to think about a replacement for Will Johnson. Now that he can be a free agent, I doubt TFC will spring the cap space for him, instead they will bring in a replacement or make do with what they have.

    I expect him to be unprotected in the draft. He might go then but I think most likely some team will sign him as a free agent.

  11. #2051
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would be careful about any pronouncements we're suddenly going to replace Beitashour. That's what Vancouver thought too - they did not end up any better off.

    As a defensive unit this group works - I would not mess with that.

  12. #2052
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd really like Johnson to stick around, especially considering the fact that we'll have CCL to worry about too. Plenty of games where he could start.

  13. #2053
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Your daughter's bedroom
    Posts
    828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Cooper for sure needs to be made permanent. Simonin and Williams are our current backup CBs, if one of them leaves we should find a replacement but otherwise 2 backups is enough. Beitashour doesn't need to be replaced, he was signed primarily to solidify our defense, which he has. Morrow is the fullback with more license to go forward. Beitashour does ok when he goes forward, and he has his moments (like the cross to Cheyrou on Wednesday night). If Johnson leaves (which I increasingly suspect he will) then signing another CM/DM type would probably be smart, but even there we're in decent shape with Cheyrou and Delgado. Hell, I'll even give Mannella a mention, with the way Vanney has developed our young guys this year I wouldn't be surprised to see him start contributing next season.

    This is gonna be the first offseason where all we're really gonna be talking about are luxury signings. We barely have any missing pieces. The only real concern is going to be replacing whoever we lose by the expansion draft.
    This. Delgado is an adequate backup CDM, we may need another option for Cheyrou though as the man is financially pricey.

  14. #2054
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,606
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I would be careful about any pronouncements we're suddenly going to replace Beitashour. That's what Vancouver thought too - they did not end up any better off.

    As a defensive unit this group works - I would not mess with that.
    agreed, we got one of the best GA records, he's part of that. Good fullbacks are hard to come by in this league

  15. #2055
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,606
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    I'd really like Johnson to stick around, especially considering the fact that we'll have CCL to worry about too. Plenty of games where he could start.
    yeah I too hope they sort something out, he's fantastic to have and I think he'd be hard to replace. Unfortunately not sure how we'd afford him. Love Cheyrou but he's too old and too expensive for the amount he plays. Would love for him to stay, maybe as semi coach semi player? He'd offer a lot to the kids

  16. #2056
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think Johnson is gone regardless, he wants to be starting and unless Bradley is injured or away with the US nats I really don't see Vanney featuring him that often. Will strikes me as a prideful man that won't take to the subs, when he believes he should be starting.

    I just don't see him being ready to accept a supporting role with the club at this point in time, good player on a ever growing team of good players.

  17. #2057
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    113 survivor
    Posts
    2,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As our roster stands today, a first-team CB would be ideal and allow us to have one of Zavaleta/Hagglund as first option off the bench. They've both performed admirably down the stretch, but TFC could use another stud who has the qualities to play in a back three. Williams can go, Simonin should be ready to be a depth option.

    Assuming the club decides to move forward with the 3-5-2, I'd like a backup RWB who is better suited to the role than Bloom (despite his decent ability to cross).

    Not sure what Cooper will command, but unless its preposterous, I see him here full-time as he brings his own dimension to the club. Essentially, I see him taking Cheyrou's salary. Delgado and Chapman should emerge one year better, so I'm fine with Johnson leaving so long as Bez can bring in a solid CDM who can take over for Bradley when he's away, or even possibly start and give Bradley a little more freedom to roam.

    In a perfect world I'd like another forward with some technical ability that could play with either Seba or Jozy, but I think Ricketts/Hamilton will suffice.

  18. #2058
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think people are getting ahead of themselves with the idea of Cooper being here next season. I haven't read anywhere that he'd be out of contract, so we'd almost definitely have to pay a transfer fee that goes against his already enormous contract. I don't think it's gonna happen. Not now anyway.

  19. #2059
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I think people are getting ahead of themselves with the idea of Cooper being here next season. I haven't read anywhere that he'd be out of contract, so we'd almost definitely have to pay a transfer fee that goes against his already enormous contract. I don't think it's gonna happen. Not now anyway.
    Huh? Cooper's contract is enormous?

  20. #2060
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Huh? Cooper's contract is enormous?

    Just less than 200k for a 4 month loan? If we're assuming that that is reduced % wise due to it being a half season loan, that's not looking good. It's not a given that it's reduced, this being MLS and all, but precedent suggests it is. Add say a 500k transfer fee on top of that and it's looking a little heavy. He'd have to be a TAM player, and I'm not sure that he's the best we could do with that money.

  21. #2061
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Just less than 200k for a 4 month loan? If we're assuming that that is reduced % wise due to it being a half season loan, that's not looking good. It's not a given that it's reduced, this being MLS and all, but precedent suggests it is. Add say a 500k transfer fee on top of that and it's looking a little heavy. He'd have to be a TAM player, and I'm not sure that he's the best we could do with that money.
    Doesn't precedent suggest the opposite? For example, when we signed Kantari mid-season last year his salary was listed at 345k. There's simply no way Bez signed a player like him for 600k, that would be insane. Same with Cooper, he spent his whole career in Panama or small European sides, he's not commanding a large salary. It doesn't fit with our cap situation last year either. If we're assuming that the union numbers for mid-season signings are reduced, that means last year when we were right up against the cap Bez was not only able to fit in 606k in salary (Kantari + Gomez's numbers), but twice (or thereabouts) that amount?

    It makes more sense to assume the numbers are full salary amounts, and the budget charge for mid-season signings is reduced from that. Otherwise for any player signed mid-season that stays in the league the following year you'd see a jump in salary, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I can see. Off the top of my head for mid-season moves last year, besides us I just remember Drogba, and his salary number this year barely changed. Going back a few years, Alvaro Rey and Maxi Urruti were both mid-season signings we made, and their salary numbers were identical the following year.

    Nobody really knows how the players union numbers work, but we do know they aren't budget charges. Cooper is earning whatever he's earning, the amount that is charged to our cap for having him is different and so I don't think that would be reflected in his union salary number.

    As for actually getting to keep him, I say pay any transfer fee required as long as it's not ridiculous. He's been great, just what we were missing in a 3-5-2, and most importantly he's immediately adapted to the league. He's a bit of a rare breed as a foreign player that required no time to get his feet under him here. Bodes well for the future.
    Last edited by notthesun; 12-04-2016 at 10:48 PM.

  22. #2062
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A bunch of Spanish language blogs saying Giovinco is heavily linked to Cruz Azul this winter. I would imagine this is coming from Mexico, probably agents or the club drumming up something out of thin air to leverage negotiations elsewhere.

    Kinda laughable. Never gonna happen.

  23. #2063
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MLS has more high-earning players than Italy's Serie A, report finds
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...-serie-a-italy

  24. #2064
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,870
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As this thread is inching towards its end, being laid to rest come Sunday morning, it will be interesting to see, speculate, wonder what the overall makeup of this team is come the first game of the 2017 season. It will be interesting as I think it will some tweaks here and there, a few changes but the core is a here to stay. What made this season amazing what roster stability. There were only two in season roster additions and both have played a big part in Cooper and Rickets.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  25. #2065
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    As this thread is inching towards its end, being laid to rest come Sunday morning, it will be interesting to see, speculate, wonder what the overall makeup of this team is come the first game of the 2017 season. It will be interesting as I think it will some tweaks here and there, a few changes but the core is a here to stay. What made this season amazing what roster stability. There were only two in season roster additions and both have played a big part in Cooper and Rickets.
    This is the longest lasting RPB in-season thread in TFC history. Other teams are already talking roster changes, we still have the big game to go. I like it!!!!
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  26. #2066
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,870
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This is the longest lasting RPB in-season thread in TFC history. Other teams are already talking roster changes, we still have the big game to go. I like it!!!!
    I agree ( :, as much as only two players being brought in during the season leaves a lot less to be talked about here as opposed to the seasons where faces were coming and going each week I like this much better to say the least LOL. It has meant not another October finish, heck that seems so long ago.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  27. #2067
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,803
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No matter the outcome of Saturday - it's gonna be an interesting few days post cup final. Cuts, options, expansion drafts etc.

  28. #2068
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    5,403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    A bunch of Spanish language blogs saying Giovinco is heavily linked to Cruz Azul this winter. I would imagine this is coming from Mexico, probably agents or the club drumming up something out of thin air to leverage negotiations elsewhere.

    Kinda laughable. Never gonna happen.
    100% absurd rumor, full stop. But thinking about how SG would do in Liga MX, on one hand he would get a level of service he only gets on the best days at TFC and convert a lot of them, but on the other, typical Liga MX defenders would wreck him over and over.
    No one likes us, we don't care.
    You saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own.
    Louis Van Gaal, philosopher. "What is this world twisted?"
    Need more nonsense in your life? Follow me on the twitter @MrTuktoyaktuk

  29. #2069
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    New off-season thread now started.

    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...lation-rumours
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-10-2016 at 11:44 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •