Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    I love how keepers know that Seba is going left with every single PK, yet he still scores. That said, I may have less of a heart attack every time if he'd mix it up a bit more.
    So when he finally mixes it up and it doesn't go in, we all know who caused the jinx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how keepers know that Seba is going left with every single PK, yet he still scores. That said, I may have less of a heart attack every time if he'd mix it up a bit more.
    Totally agreed. Every single PK he's had he's gone low/left (including the one he missed off the post in NYC) and the keeper has guessed correctly EVERY SINGLE TIME. He places them so well that they're tough to stop regardless, but I feel like he needs to mix it up just to keep goalies guessing. All it takes is one or two in a different spot and keepers won't be able to go all in to their right anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see him doing a Pirlo style cucchiaio this season for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah all of this is why I'm an advocate for Jozy on pens, the guy always mixes it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck that. Seba takes ALL the penalties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when and where do you use Cheyrou? Besides when Bradley's missing.

top of the diamond now that MB proves he can stay back?

Marky/Osarion with WJ on the sides? and GIO /Jozy up top

Thats a great talent to have off the bench aswell
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 03-07-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

Don't think we play a diamond ever again. 4-3-3 is how it will be unless there's a coaching change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Don't think we play a diamond ever again. 4-3-3 is how it will be unless there's a coaching change.
    we dont have the depth for that though, do we? lovitz doesnt cut it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wasn't that bad. Not starter quality but he contributed a lot defensively. You'd think he would be 6th in the depth chart behind Altidore, Giovinco, Endoh, Babouli and Delgado.

We've been constructed very much like Sporting Kansas City. A Strong central core with plug-and-play players on the wing.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 03-07-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will be a coaching change if we go back to a diamond midfield!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team of the week for Moor

"Hey, you want that ball? Llet me show you it up close and personal."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Kristian Jack's breakdown of the game - always interesting.

http://www.tsn.ca/tactical-look-at-h...bulls-1.449141

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

Don't like having Cheyrou around at 300k+ if he's going to be coming off the bench. You can find a starting CDM in South America for that price .. but I guess there isn't much we can do with him now.

I agree that we don't have the depth for 4-3-3. You can't expect either Endoh or Lovitz to be starters and we don't have any other natural wingers on the team. Delgado isn't a winger. I guess Mo can play out wide but he's another rookie.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    Endoh played well yesterday but that was his FIRST professional game haha. Let's not get carried away with national team call ups and big European clubs juuuuuust yet.
    Fun game , Endoh was definitely hard worker and didn't wilt after Gio gave him hell . But I did notice he did get pushed off the ball at times and I hope he's up for the rough going over he'll get in MLS after he gets noticed . At least he's a refreshing breath of fresh air from our usual draft picks . Vanney and . Scouts ? Did well . For the first time in years I saw a structured team effort . That's all I can ask . At least we can see where we're weak , cough Lovitz . Is Babouli a replacement ?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I like Kristian Jack's breakdown of the game - always interesting.
    In the world of De Vos, Wileman, Reed, Dobson, etc...KJ is one who I don't ever get tired of, and always value and appreciate his insight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, new RPB member and new to the forum so not sure anyone does this (also - hello everyone!), but I've always liked to do player ratings.
    Find it's a quick/easy way to sum up each player's game and spark some conversation. So feel free to comment or do a rating of your own. I'll try to do these each week. If someone else already does this, let me know.
    (by the way, for anyone who doesn't know how player ratings work - they're on a scale of 0-10. I know a 6 may seem harsh, but it's a good, typical score for anyone who plays a solid game without any glaring errors or spectacular play. Subs that come in late typically don't get rated)
    Here we go:

Irwin - 6 - Fairly quiet game. Looked composed, critical play in pushing the ball of Bradley Wright-Phillips foot when looking like a clear goal.
    Beitashour - 6 - Dribbled his way into some tough spots, but without any real consequence. Positionally sound.
    Perquis - 7 - Shaky, disorganized times for the entire back line - but kept the clean sheet with some critical clearances near the end.
    Moor - 8 - Finally, a centerback. Rock solid at the back with some fine interceptions and clearances.
    Morrow - 6 - Picked up where we left off last year. Should have been better in possession but was largely unnoticeable - which is good news when you're a defender.
    Osorio - 6 - Made some good passes, made some bad ones. Overall, a solid effort in the middle of the park.
    Bradley - 6 - A very quiet game from the captain but the work rate is always there. Look forward to seeing this midfield grow together.
    Johnson - 6 - Another midfielder having trouble stringing together passes - but so was everyone else. Tenacious in pursuit of the ball. Should take some of that work load off Bradley.
    Lovitz - 5 - Had a few good moments, but some poor play early in the second half. Still a talented kid who is usually a great crosser of the ball - shouldn't give up on him after game 1.
    Endoh - 8 (Man of the Match) - Tireless work rate, good in possession, earned the penalty - great first game in the league. Could be stronger on the ball, but he's been playing in NCAA. Will adjust to physical MLS against full grown men.
    Giovinco - 7 - Back at it. Classy cross to create the penalty, slotted it away with ease, and an assist on Delgado's strike. Left isolated and looked disengaged at times - but was receiving poor service with little support from the other 10 on the pitch who sat deep. I think we can expect some more magic this year.

Subs
    Delgado (for Lovitz, 68') - 7 - Looked lively. Cool finish to hammer the nail in the coffin. More performances like that will burry any worries of a sophomore slump.
    Morgan (for Endoh, 83')
    Last edited by JoeM; 03-07-2016 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley finished the opening round of games with the highest number of tackles + interceptions in the league at 11 (4 tackles, 7 interceptions). Just 1 foul committed as well.

Maybe he does have it in him to be a full-time DM after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Bradley finished the opening round of games with the highest number of tackles + interceptions in the league at 11 (4 tackles, 7 interceptions). Just 1 foul committed as well.

I agree. I like when he's basically tasked with just interrupting, pressuring, holding, distributing, etc. Whenever they want him to go forward more, it sometimes works out, but it also sometimes leaves us too exposed at the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I agree. I like when he's basically tasked with just interrupting, pressuring, holding, distributing, etc. Whenever they want him to go forward more, it sometimes works out, but it also sometimes leaves us too exposed at the back.
    That's his best position IMO - he's not a goal scorer. Has a bit of distribution about him - but often passes the ball away. For TFC he needs to be the DM first and foremost.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would point out that if we go down a goal , the Bradley as DM thing would not be able to continue. This is a good plan when holding off teams. Its not the same when trying to get back into the game. At that point, we'd see gaps opening up (as happens with all teams) between the mids and the defence.

And Bradley is our best passing middie by a long way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I would point out that if we go down a goal , the Bradley as DM thing would not be able to continue. This is a good plan when holding off teams. Its not the same when trying to get back into the game. At that point, we'd see gaps opening up (as happens with all teams) between the mids and the defence.

And Bradley is our best passing middie by a long way.
    Might be best for him to be the main distributor at the base of the midfield then, no? Dictate the game or whatever.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Might be best for him to be the main distributor at the base of the midfield then, no? Dictate the game or whatever.
    I think that doesn't take advantage of his ability to drive forward. One of the things he does well with his driving runs is open things up for his passes. I think he's good enough to be played in a specific role depending on the opponent. Whatever is asked of him, he does seem to do it at least well, if not superbly. Sunday he was tasked with sitting in front of the back four and he was superb. The "quiet" game he had is exactly what was needed in that role. And as we saw from the defensive stats, he wasn't actually quiet, it's just not the most glamorous role.
    Last edited by Jack; 03-08-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think that doesn't take advantage of his ability to drive forward. One of the things he does well with his driving runs is open things up for his passes. I think he's good enough to be played in a specific role depending on the opponent. Whatever is asked of him, he does seem to do it at least well, if not superbly. Sunday he was takes with sitting in front of the back four and he was superb. The "quiet" game he had is exactly what was needed in that role. And as we saw from the defensive stats, he wasn't actually quiet, it's just not the most glamorous role.
    That "quiet" game garnered much praise from The Armchair Analyst

Third and most important, though, is that Michael Bradley looked very comfortable playing as the deepest man in a three-man midfield. Bradley has always seen himself as a No. 6, and he has many of the skills associated with that spot.
    He also has a propensity to go chasing, which can leave the area in front of the central defense wide open. That is the ultimate no-no for any d-mid, and every piece I've written this offseason has sounded that particular note of caution. I trust Bradley's effort and skill and commitment, but I don't always trust his patience.
    Then he did this:

https://streamable.com/1xbm?t=15.9

Bradley could have gone charging into that play and tried to blow up both RBNY players who were contesting that 50/50 ball. I really, honestly expected him to.

The fact that he instead held his ground, protected the pocket and eventually chose his spot to step in -- then released a perfectly-weighted through-ball to the league's best player -- tells a different and better story for the Reds. If they're going to compete for a title, they need that from Bradley more than full-field coverage. It's a tough concept to internalize, but an important one.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...eatness-week-1
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco made Team of the Week and Budweiser Man of the match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that pass was magic, didnt appreciate it till it now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love seeing things like this post game. It's the kind of thing you might miss in real time when caught up in the excitement. What a great interception and fantastic ball played forward by Bradley.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I love seeing things like this post game. It's the kind of thing you might miss in real time when caught up in the excitement. What a great interception and fantastic ball played forward by Bradley.
    Yup, that was quite something. Having him and Perquis, who can also thread a long, well-weighted pass through, should help us keep teams guessing. If they press up too high, they can get opened up by plays like that, but if they sit back, our midfield and Giovinco should have enough talent to make things happen. I'm quite pleased with how our squad is shaping up and if we continue to use Bradley in that deep-lying role, I think he will shine there. Of course, having Johnson and his ability to switch it up with Bradley will also help if Bradley get's the opportunity to push forward. But yeah, winning games will make a believer out of most players, but especially one like MB. If he plays that role and we win, I'm sure he'll be happy.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    Huge fan of Bradley. The guy puts in a shift every single game, and these little moments are what makes him stand out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    I agree, though for the most part I think people were happy/excited to have him, just unsure about how he'd fit in to the lineup with Bradley/Cheyrou seemingly ingrained in those CM roles. I guess it's understandable since every other move we made was a clear-cut "addressing" of our glaring weaknesses, ie. not much downside (Irwin for Bendik/Konops, Beitashour for RB black hole, Moor for Kantari), whereas Johnson kind of seemed like a luxury at that point... maybe even a hindrance to some people (cap and roster/formation wise).
    That was it, really. I know I was and still am elated to have WJ on, with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Having Bradley and Johnson in mid is going to drive many teams nuts. Both relentless in closing down the opposition and can makes passes and jump into on offense.
    Oh, man. Really hope they can keep it going and grow their understanding, and it's also nice to hear they're good listeners, as Moor tells it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    So when he finally mixes it up and it doesn't go in, we all know who caused the jinx.
    hahahha I still think one or two different pens, taken with the confidence of having worked on it in training, wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Don't like having Cheyrou around at 300k+ if he's going to be coming off the bench. You can find a starting CDM in South America for that price .. but I guess there isn't much we can do with him now.

I agree that we don't have the depth for 4-3-3. You can't expect either Endoh or Lovitz to be starters and we don't have any other natural wingers on the team. Delgado isn't a winger. I guess Mo can play out wide but he's another rookie.
    I think in MLS, ironically enough, most teams have that one player probably getting a little too much for their role—a symptom, perhaps of our relatively small squads/cap. With this year being a big tournament year (Euro, Copa, etc.), we'll be desperately glad to have Cheyrou as cover. I think, with his reduced role in the side this season (still important, mind), it will make it easier on the club to renegotiate his contract for next season or part ways, if it comes down to it. Hope he sticks around; top, top player.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    At least we can see where we're weak , cough Lovitz . Is Babouli a replacement ?
    I agree that Lovitz was the weakest link, but you get what you pay for. I think he did reasonably well, and just looks to be lacking in confidence. I remember when we drafted him, he looked such a tricky player, on the wing—we were all hoping he'd be a reliable solution (left-footed, to boot). Alas, he's just not developed into that guy, and probably lacks a fair bit of belief, after sitting in limbo for so long (not quite hit rock bottom, a la Clint Irwin, for example, so lacking that sort of desire/hunger).

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

A part of it, I think, is he has more confidence in his supporting cast. After this last game, he certainly looks most comfortable there, still able to pop up and have his few moments in games, where he threads a wonderful pass through to Seba and co. I think him taking a few more chances, when we're chasing games, is okay, as he has a knack for making a good driving run.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think that doesn't take advantage of his ability to drive forward. One of the things he does well with his driving runs is open things up for his passes. I think he's good enough to be played in a specific role depending on the opponent. Whatever is asked of him, he does seem to do it at least well, if not superbly. Sunday he was tasked with sitting in front of the back four and he was superb. The "quiet" game he had is exactly what was needed in that role. And as we saw from the defensive stats, he wasn't actually quiet, it's just not the most glamorous role.
    Sums it up, perfectly.