Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    well, NYRB had couple of chances but I think Vanney outcoached Marsch for the win. Delgado for Lovitz was a genius sub.

didn't think we'd get a result, but blanking defending SS winner 2-0 away is a good start.

pretty much everyone had a good game except Lovitz. even Bradley stayed composed and disciplined as DM.
    Yeah they did and mid-season they probably put them away, but mid-season we probably will be a bit tighter in the back, as well (one would hope). Anyway, I'm not going to pick it apart too hard because there are a lot of positives to beating New York on the road to start the season.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start the car!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good game.

Endoh may be a solution. Or at least a capable squad rotation player at this level. This game will be a boost for his confidence. Nice surprise indeed.

Giovinco starts of where he left off.

Lovitz was not good and when Delgado came in we looked better.

The back line was organized and very improved. Moor the organizer, Perquis the monster. He was great. The whole back 4 won us that game.

Make that the back 5. Irwin was solid. 8 clean sheets last year I believe? He can distribute the ball to our team. Big improvement over Bendik. Big improvement.

Overall we have back line and with Giovinco we can score.

The midfield was a mess. This will need some major tweaking. 37 % possession. 58 % Passing accuracy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That'll do me.

Great away performance from the boys. Wasnt pretty for long stretches of the game, but a couple of moments of genius from our Italian maestro was enough to grab the points. Cudos to Vanney on his gameplan, it worked to perfection. I was impressed by how solid our back four was they looked liked they had been playing together for years not their first 90 minutes together. Will Johnston's energy was another plus. His workrate was very impressive and there were glimpses that he can form a useful partnership with Bradley in midfield. Finally, young Endoh did just fine in his professional debut for me. Yes there were a couple of giveaways, but there were also some glimpses of brilliance from the lad, particularly his ability to find space, not least of all his run that produced the penalty. I think he'll be a useful attacking option as we go forward and the team get more comfortable playing with each other. All in all a good opening day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really curious what we look like with Altidore up too and Giovinco on the left. I was too harsh earlier; we weren't creating much offensively but that wasn't exactly the plan either. Just frustrating to watch defneisve counter play on the road, but it was executed perfectly. Perquis was a monster in the air, Moor very good positionally, Beitashour and Morrow both solid and Irwin looks like he can command a back line. The midfield was disciplined as well, and Johnson has an amazing engine.

Endoh had a rookie's performance: some good and some bad. But the guy runs forever and is pretty good defensively; didn't see him as a liability by any means. Lovitz looked worse by comparison.

Vanney passes the first test with flying colours.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Genius not so much. It was obvious. Good sub I give him credit.
    genius that Delgado never played left mid IIRC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good one Alonso!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    genius that Delgado never played left mid IIRC
    Yeah, that's true. I think he switched before the end with Johnson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great defensive game from TFC! Also, TFC did a great job with their high press which cause issues for NYRB.

I wonder if we're going to see same line up (assuming Jozy is out) next week in NYC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious about NYCFC are they a really good team or is Chicago Fire not so good, lets go to the next game, and congrats on the first of many good results to come

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Great defensive game from TFC! Also, TFC did a great job with their high press which cause issues for NYRB.

I wonder if we're going to see same line up (assuming Jozy is out) next week in NYC.
    If Lovitz starts next week; I may be leading the #fireVanney charge the 2nd week of the season. That would not be okay in my view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good performance, but still lots of work. Giovinco is just brilliant with the ball. That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We outshot them 5-1 on target; New York had 11 shots overall but only 1 on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our side won in the Jersey swamp for the first time. EVAH!!! Major! Accomplishment!!! I take that as a sign that our side will go a long, long way this season. As in, the MLS Cup on home turf (yes, I will dream large and in charge!!!).

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!
    Last edited by Redcoe15; 03-06-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic result to start the season. I thought our defensive shape was solid throughout the match with the exception of only a couple of miscues. I thought Irwin would have had to steal a point for us today, but he really didn't have to make any difficult stops which is a testament to Vanney's strategy for this match. Credit where credit is due. Our offense didn't generate much, but we capitalized when we had the opportunities.

The only negative that stood out to me was the play of Lovitz. He was responsible for several turnovers and our possession died whenever he touched the ball in the offensive third of the pitch. When Altidore is back, he needs to play in the middle so Seba can shift to the left in place of Lovitz.

Endoh was the biggest surprise of the day in my opinion. He was remarkably poised for a rookie, and had several creative touches to keep our possession fluid. I think he has the tools to be our starting right winger.

Our off season acquisitions all acquitted themselves very well defensively as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great win. It was difficult but to me the team looks more "compact" in defense compared with last year.

Happy for Seba of course, even if it's obvious that, just like last year at the same point, he isn't in a perfect athletic condition yet. His miss in the last minutes confirmed that, that's a goal he would usually score. He will definitely grow in the next few weeks
    Last edited by Juventino; 03-06-2016 at 04:01 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only reason to start Lovitz was to keep pressure on their RB. Worked ok for the first 20 minutes and then Lovitz ran out of gas.

Don't need that approach when playing NYCFC in a baseball stadium. If Alitdore isn't able to go, I'd put Babouli up left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Delgado too. The guy has an odd knack for scoring goals. Such a great pick up when we plucked him from Chivas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great result..had to watch second half on over due to parental duties. Was screaming at the tv to get Lovitz off from 60 minutes on - he was close to a red card and playing shite. After the sub - it was magic. Endoh did well drawing the penalty..Gio opened them up after that. That is as strong a defense as there is in MLS. Our back 4 and keeper look head and shoulders above last year. WJ looking like the player pre-injury - great debut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just won on the Road against one of the strongest sides in MLS. Both of teams were rusty. Only good things to come if we can get the passing accuracy up. Lots of little things to worry about, and it is a long season.. but that is a good way to start

The clean sheet particularly.. though.. last season we beat Vancouver in the opener... then lost 5 straight. As we said last year 8 points for these first 8 games is good. 16 is great.. 24 is booking the parade for December.

14 points from the first 8 games would be on pace for a 60 point season. Those on the road would be insane.
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-06-2016 at 04:22 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was very pleased with WJ's play and Bradley was quiet in a very good way. Getting the job done without trying to do too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    We just won on the Road against one of the strongest sides in MLS. Both of teams were rusty. Only good things to come if we can get the passing accuracy up. Lots of little things to worry about, and it is a long season.. but that is a good way to start

The clean sheet particularly.. though.. last season we beat Vancouver in the opener... then lost 5 straight. As we said last year 8 points for these first 8 games is good. 16 is great.. 24 is booking the parade for December.
    Averaging 2 ppg from road games is practically unheard of in MLS. If we came out with 16 points after 8 games I'd be planning the parade parade route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Averaging 2 ppg from road games is practically unheard of in MLS. If we came out with 16 points after 8 games I'd be planning the parade parade route.
    Back four was crazy solid. I think two mistakes all game, one from Perquis early and then he settled and the other a bad Morrow giveaway. But for the most part, absolutely top notch. Moore's positioning is just exceptional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post

14 points from the first 8 games would be on pace for a 60 point season. Those on the road would be insane.
    We won't repeat that 5 game losing streak. We didn't have a identity then and we were still trying to figure out the best position for Seba.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We started last season with a road win and we came home at about a point per game at the end of the road trip. I am keeping my expectations at that level. What I would like for us to do is put more points in the bank than we did last year. We will need them later in the season when we have injuries and international games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS article states that we were dominated for 80 minutes. I must have been watching a different game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way I'm going to pick apart a 2-0 win on the road, on opening day, in a stadium we've never won at...other than Lovitz should not be starting next week, lol.

It wasn't pretty, or smooth, or flowing but it got the job done.

Endoh already has a fan in me, he's a little beast of a machine out there.

Mission accomplished, now take a couple days to rest, re group and look ahead to next Sunday at Yankee stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Start the car!!!!!
    A perfect comment. I howled with laughter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am happy with the outcome solidw defense, minus the set pieces.

Endoh earned his pk, gio continued with his mvp form.

BUT WHY WERE THE TFC ROAD WARRIORS NOT SHOWN ON TV....... did this have to do with the sanction these guys deserve to be mentioned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    We won't repeat that 5 game losing streak. We didn't have a identity then and we were still trying to figure out the best position for Seba.
    I realize but at the same time.. no one should be overly confident.

Last season we had 9 points from 7 games. If we finish with 10 points from 8 we should be fine. a few ties a loss or two and a win or two.. and we will be there.. I really don't think given the schedule that 14 points is unachievable.

Just a matter of realistic expectations.

Rate now.. really happy

Actually looking at it. The bigger measure of success will be goals against. 11 in 7 games last year. If we can keep that number under 10.. in our away journey, that will be the big indicator this season.
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-06-2016 at 04:54 PM.