Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC preseason continues to baffle me. Year after year the team comes out of preseason unprepared for the regular season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Vanney is debating making Wiliams-Moor the main defensive pairing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're all over them suddenly - goal against seems to have woken everybody up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco getting a little more service, but he needs to be a second striker playing off of a partner
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    TFC preseason continues to baffle me. Year after year the team comes out of preseason unprepared for the regular season.
    To be fair, every team looks bad this week in preseason. A lot of poor choice passes. Standard preseason stuff.

Our issue is in the past our defence makes plays like that all season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but how how much better is Williams over Perquis not like he is much of an improvement from what I saw of him last season, but Perquis does not give me confidence with him in there unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Giovinco getting a little more service, but he needs to be a second striker playing off of a partner
    He's starting to roam a lot more in search of the ball. Which I like to see, but then there's a big hole in the middle when he's off somewhere else. In a 4-4-2 variant he can go where he wants without ruining the shape.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

liking Babouli. technique needs a bit more polish, but he'd do well as a wide forward
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hagglund at Right Back will always give me shivers - that Dallas game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome to another 500 season if we are lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post

ffs. you know that across pretty much any sport, pre-season results have absolutely no correlation to regular season success, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it's possible that everything will get sorted out by next Sunday. Also possible we are going to get WRECKED in Harrison next Sunday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree the midfield doesn't look good. TFC have absolutely no chance of moving the ball through the midfield reliably, except sometimes up the wings. (They've also had about 15 minutes spread between the two halves where they had some useful possession of the ball.) However I don't think Cheyrou at DM would be the answer either. Although he would be good at starting the offence from the back, he's much too slow for the defensive work. Opponents would be blowing by him all day.

I don't know what to say. Johnson at DM? Although he's not passing well today either. (I feel we never really replace Laba in DM, nor Guevara in the attacking midfield...)

Obviously the goal was a huge Perquis screw up. There were couple of other defensive & DM turnovers by TFC, that could have been goals against with a better opponent. However alot of that is also due to the difficulty with moving the ball through the midfield. Most of the time the defenders have no useful outlet for the ball. Eventually they try useless long balls, or screw up with a difficult pass in the middle of the park.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-27-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL. Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Result doesn't matter (especially conceding off a terrible individual mistake). Philly created two good chances themselves, the Irwin save off the crossbar and the ball whipped across the box from the right. Otherwise we did well defensively, so that's good (2nd half especially - they got nothing besides the Perquis turnover).

Offensively it was not encouraging stuff. Giovinco shouldn't play in the middle in a 4-3-3, he doesn't touch the ball enough. Bradley is wasted playing as deep as he is. Osorio isn't much of a winger (he did a lot better moving back into midfield in the 2nd half).

I just can't shake the feeling this 4-3-3 is a mistake.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Seba is ready, as is Moor and Irwin. Osorio looks lively. Babouli and Endoh doing some good stuff but a few missed passes, most likely due to not being quite ready for the increase in opposing player quality. Morrow did OK.

Bloom looks like a guy who took a whole year off. Beitashour back please. Perquis did OK, but that brain fart - ugh.

As for the 3 starts in midfield, that just looked messy. Things settled once Cheyrou went off and Johnson could settle.

Roll on the real stuff next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we all agree then this team is a contender then, they will have a much better defensive record, the best defensive record in their history then? They will get a home playoff game then not that whatever you call it preplayoff thing they got their butts handed to them by our friends in Montreal last season? Well let's hope that by the time they come home to the new Argo and Grey Cup stadium and outdoor hockey stadium TFC is still in a playoff position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    ffs. you know that across pretty much any sport, pre-season results have absolutely no correlation to regular season success, right?
    they have sucked every pre season for 10 yrs and they had one ok season last year because of a guy who played out of his mind.
    they look the same has last year so far,hope im wrong.its go to be fun when you have mo,gomez and hamilton in july.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The book is out on TorontoFC, clog the midfield and force game to the wings, same as last year, Vanney didn't adjust, clock starts March 6 for him

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Really last season was that successful with the money spent and all we got was a playin knockout game you think that's progress ? Moreover, that embarrassment in Montreal really ? Losing back to back to Montreal? Still having one of the worst defensive records is progress? Sorry not in my books , I spend my hard earn money on this team, season tickets since day one. Sorry I have high expectation!
    If you feel the need to bring up the entire team history in Pre-season

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Offensively it was not encouraging stuff. Giovinco shouldn't play in the middle in a 4-3-3, he doesn't touch the ball enough. Bradley is wasted playing as deep as he is. Osorio isn't much of a winger (he did a lot better moving back into midfield in the 2nd half).

I just can't shake the feeling this 4-3-3 is a mistake.
    I don't think the 4-3-3 is a mistake, because we have 2 guys that can lead the line in a 4-3-3 in Altidore and Gomez.

BUT, I do wonder why didn't Gomez play? Gomez is the central guy in a 4-3-3. Not Seba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they have sucked every pre season for 10 yrs and they had one ok season last year because of a guy who played out of his mind.
    We went undefeated in preseason the year we started 0-9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

preseason is meaningless ... as long as Seba stay's healthy we will make the play-in round

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we all agree then this team is a contender then, they will have a much better defensive record, the best defensive record in their history then? They will get a home playoff game then not that whatever you call it preplayoff thing they got their butts handed to them by our friends in Montreal last season? Well let's hope that by the time they come home to the new Argo and Grey Cup stadium and outdoor hockey stadium TFC is still in a playoff position.
    You are not enjoying yourself, man.

I wasn't impressed by much today either but taking Pre-season and using it to predict the season is not going to be any more accurate.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I don't think the 4-3-3 is a mistake, because we have 2 guys that can lead the line in a 4-3-3 in Altidore and Gomez.

BUT, I do wonder why didn't Gomez play? Gomez is the central guy in a 4-3-3. Not Seba.
    I would hope Vanney recognized this today and only didn't put Gomez in because that would have meant stealing minutes from Endoh or Babouli since Giovinco would have moved to LW. If we start Giovinco in the middle against RBNY we're setting ourselves up for a frustrating afternoon IMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ping pong soccer at times between our midfield, no composure or confidence going forward. I feel like the additions of Babouli and Endoh are very promising. Let them gel; my major concern lies with Vanney. There is a clear lack of direction and progression.

See everyone next Sunday!
    Tune into the Official Red Patch Boys Podcast on Spotify and Apple Music.

https://open.spotify.com/show/09Tk3GUscsd2ca1wl4mao1?si=vr_u5SdqRvm4HMqKYBE1wQ&d l_branch=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I'm not enjoying myself actually, I will start to enjoy myself when this team is able to have a few good seasons like the Red Bulls have or even like our good friends the Crew have had over the years or a few other teams in the league until then I'm going to be a miserable son of a bitch like I have since day one. Moreover, and now since the beloved Argos have now invaded the stadium I'm in an even more crappier mood if this team does not do much better than the so called successful season that was supposedly last season.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 02-27-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SoccerMom... You stress me out every time you post. Always so negative.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I'm not enjoying myself actually, I will start to enjoy myself when this team is able to have a few good seasons like the Red Bulls have or even like our good friends the Crew have had over the years or a few other teams in the league until then I'm going to be a miserable son of a bitch like I have until day one. Moreover, and now since the beloved Argos have now invaded the stadium I'm in an even more crappier mood if this team does not do much better than the so called successful season that was supposedly last season.

If you can't enjoy a season that had this as part of it, you'll never enjoy this game.

Our defence was crap. Our ending was pathetic.

But its nights like this one why I come back.

Only one team wins it all. We live for the fight, not for the ending.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-27-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry If I stress you out " Ivy", but I hate loosing just can't stand it, lol, I don't know how some of you guys on here are such optimist but that just is not me, but then again that's what makes this world a great and crazy place different people and different personalities makes life interesting.