Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I have a hard time believing that someone who has such obvious disdain for a league would watch it, even on a "semi-routinely" basis......but that's just my opinion.....I sure as hell wouldn't waste 2 hours at a time on something I don't care for......
    I find it more interesting that of the "all three" leagues mentioned, one WASN'T MLS. I'm sure that's to be assumed but it isn't mentioned and yet it's the thread title.

Point being, there is endless talk and comparisons to other foreign leagues. The point of the OP was to make the more difficult comparison. Which was done by some very well.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 02-17-2016 at 12:46 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Isn't there another board for generic MLS discussions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I find it more interesting that of the "all three" leagues mentioned, one WASN'T MLS. I'm sure that's to be assumed but it isn't mentioned and yet it's the thread title.

Point being, there is endless talk and comparisons to other foreign leagues. The point of the OP was to make the more difficult comparison. Which was done by some very well.
    yeah fair enough.....the original debate of MLS v Serie A is not even a discussion yet imo.....and same can be said of MLS v any of the big 4/5 Euro leagues......I'm talking about matching best v best teams, mid v mid teams and bottom v bottom teams of any said leagues, not MLS best v. Serie A/BPL/Liga/Bundes/Ligue 1 bottom feeders.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article was due this year. If we surveyed around the league (OUR league) and asked fans if we thought this year past was only the first and would our league continue "poaching" from Serie A?

Pretty sure most would chuckle. Serie A has been shown to be in an interesting place this past year with different factors that helped MLS snatch some great talent.

It really opened a door but that door ain't wide open nor will it swing entirely shut. MLS is an option for players of any talent level but the league cannot be measured comparatively with any accuracy to the top leagues in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article was due this year. If we surveyed around the league (OUR league) and asked fans if we thought this year past was only the first and would our league continue "poaching" from Serie A?

Pretty sure most would chuckle. Serie A has been shown to be in an interesting place this past year with different factors that helped MLS snatch some great talent.

It really opened a door but that door ain't wide open nor will it swing entirely shut. MLS is an option for players of any talent level but the league cannot be measured comparatively with any accuracy to the top leagues in the world.
    sure I get that.....but unless I'm drawing a blank only Giovinco is in this category......I don't include Pirlo there, because he is more in the "old man" category with Gerrard and Lampard (kinda like Di Vaio and Nesta were, though Di Vaio did quite well).....and even with Seba, I guess it is a matter of perspective really....I mean, certainly no one is talking of MLS poaching La Liga talent, or pointing to it as evidence of a "dying" league with the dos Santos signing....or Villa signing.....and imo Gio and Seba are pretty much the same class of player.....Villa even a class above both....I mean, as much as I LOVE seeing him in our colours and to have an Italian be so successful in MLS, the fact of the matter is that Giovinco was a 4th choice striker with Juve, nothing more.....I guess me and others here though the article was a needless attempt to perhaps trash Serie A......I find that much like MLS, the people who trash Serie A never even watch it (or haven't in years)......

I will say this much though, and agree with you to say that it certainly is something to see these names young and old come to our league in higher volume every year......definitely a treat for us......keep it coming!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure I get that.....but unless I'm drawing a blank only Giovinco is in this category......I don't include Pirlo there, because he is more in the "old man" category with Gerrard and Lampard (kinda like Di Vaio and Nesta were, though Di Vaio did quite well).....and even with Seba, I guess it is a matter of perspective really....I mean, certainly no one is talking of MLS poaching La Liga talent, or pointing to it as evidence of a "dying" league with the dos Santos signing....or Villa signing.....and imo Gio and Seba are pretty much the same class of player.....Villa even a class above both....I mean, as much as I LOVE seeing him in our colours and to have an Italian be so successful in MLS, the fact of the matter is that Giovinco was a 4th choice striker with Juve, nothing more.....I guess me and others here though the article was a needless attempt to perhaps trash Serie A......I find that much like MLS, the people who trash Serie A never even watch it (or haven't in years)......

I will say this much though, and agree with you to say that it certainly is something to see these names young and old come to our league in higher volume every year......definitely a treat for us......keep it coming!
    Well it depends on what you look for. There were very few people trashing Serie A in here and the article is completely tame in pointing out how Serie A is struggling in some very select areas

My point is that people look for what feeds an argument sometimes. You can minimize Serie A's contribution to MLS this past year if it makes you feel better. Some people outside of that POV will latch on to a banner year of aquisitions for MLS. A Serie A "bumber crop" if you will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it depends on what you look for. There were very few people trashing Serie A in here and the article is completely tame in pointing out how Serie A is struggling in some very select areas

My point is that people look for what feeds an argument sometimes. You can minimize Serie A's contribution to MLS this past year if it makes you feel better. Some people outside of that POV will latch on to a banner year of aquisitions for MLS. A Serie A "bumber crop" if you will.
    ok, but to anyone who actually watches the league, their problems are pretty much plain to see and you won't have many of Serie A's supporters trying to deny them.....that is, poor/old stadiums (which are slowly, FINALLY being fixed/built new), and less bankroll to compete with other teams....there's absolutely no arguing that.....and again to those who regularly watch the league, teams still bring up quality players....

I'm not minimizing their contribution to MLS at all.....like I said in my last post, I'm actually very happy to see that Serie A is a place where MLS teams may be looking to more and more for talent.....I just find that their contribution is not much more than any other league....certainly not worth pointing out anyways....

and like I said previously, unless its just not my day to be able to think, who other than Giovinco can be mentioned that makes up this Serie A "bumper crop".....I'm not trying to be thick, just genuinely asking as his name is the only one I can think of.....can Bradley be included there? I don't necessarily think so....his and Seba's roads to MLS are quite different....so who else is there then?....Allan Stefanovic maybe??
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 02-17-2016 at 03:09 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, but to anyone who actually watches the league, their problems are pretty much plain to see and you won't have many of Serie A's supporters trying to deny them.....that is, poor/old stadiums (which are slowly, FINALLY being fixed/built new), and less bankroll to compete with other teams....there's absolutely no arguing that.....and again to those who regularly watch the league, teams still bring up quality players....

I'm not minimizing their contribution to MLS at all.....like I said in my last post, I'm actually very happy to see that Serie A is a place where MLS teams may be looking to more and more for talent.....I just find that their contribution is not much more than any other league....certainly not worth pointing out anyways....

and like I said previously, unless its just not my day to be able to think, who other than Giovinco can be mentioned that makes up this Serie A "bumper crop".....I'm not trying to be thick, just genuinely asking as his name is the only one I can think of.....can Bradley be included there? I don't necessarily think so....his and Seba's roads to MLS are quite different....so who else is there then?....Allan Stefanovic maybe??
    Dude. You can discount whoever you want. Just count the players that've come from Serie A last year or two and what they've meant to the league. THAT's why the article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those that have strong anti-Italian sentiments, I will not name you, Serie A will proof its worth on the field. Let the result be what they may be.

By the way Kucka would be the best mid in the MLS, and most Serie A players who came here, did so because they were DONE, and yet here they are doing great ( Bradley and Giovinco being the exception).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Really? how many playoff teams from last year would struggle in Serie A, and why? Where in say LA's lineup, or Dallas' or even ours come up short against the lower tier serie A lineups?
    Any one of them would struggle in Serie A. You are grossly underestimating the average Serie A team. Balotelli, by the way, has the skills to be a top player in any league, people who got him in are not stupid, the problem is that he is a headcase, and gives little effort, it is the same in Serie A as in any other league. He would have the same problem anywhere her plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to even comment on this MLS versus Serie A debate what's the point that article was ridiculous in so many ways. However, saying that the top teams in Mexico would kick the shit out of the bottom half of Serie A shows me that the poster has no clue of what is that he writes that's all case closed . Give me an MLS team filled with bottom half Serie A team players and I will show you MLS's first CONCACAF Champions League champion.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 02-17-2016 at 09:04 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    For those that have strong anti-Italian sentiments, I will not name you, Serie A will proof its worth on the field. Let the result be what they may be.

By the way Kucka would be the best mid in the MLS, and most Serie A players who came here, did so because they were DONE, and yet here they are doing great ( Bradley and Giovinco being the exception).
    As always, trane, you have a wealth of knowledge and experience of Serie A but can I PLEASE make the distinction between

Anti-Italian

and

Anti-Italian football /Calcio.

The distinction gets blurred WAYYYYYY too fast on footy forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ and as always my spelling is atrocious.

Yes anti Serie A/Calcio.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ and as always my spelling is atrocious.

Yes anti Serie A/Calcio.
    Yeah, but that's our trane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems Tax Relief did help SerieA…

https://football-italia.net/serie-a-...th-decree-law/