Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I wouldn't let this hope die just yet.
    I repeat.

And this topic is not something we should give up on.

It is important to us.

Tempo, should we be allowed to rent the Rogers Centre to play beer league softball? What about men's league hockey down at the ACC. Public money went into those places too.

Last edited by Jack; 05-16-2008 at 03:04 PM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    The stadium being on the Exhibition grounds complicates things.

I think I may have even read in this thread that the City simply cant sell the facility, whether they want to or not.
    This is the truth of the situation.

The Ex Place lands were given by the provincial gov't to the City on the grounds that the City would never sell, and that they could only use the grounds as "public space".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    This is the truth of the situation.

The Ex Place lands were given by the provincial gov't to the City on the grounds that the City would never sell, and that they could only use the grounds as "public space".

If there were a long term exclusive lease (say 30-40 years) and MLSE agreed to keep the stadium for some public use and any and all soccer teams would that be enough to honour the requirements while still putting in grass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fake grass is like having sex with a prostitute, its not the same thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Red Bull park looks amazing...BMO's so shitty and simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    That Red Bull park looks amazing...BMO's so shitty and simple.
    RB park has changed from the original renderings I hear. let's wait til it's built to see if it's any good.

plus, you have to watch the shite bulls there, so that'll make the stadium suck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we move on, It seems like every week someone brings Field Turf, Streamers,Fuck Bill Archer,Reb Bulls are Shiite,The Beer at BMO is expensive. Fuck it is getting boring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJamboTFC View Post
    There's nothing sad and miserable about my life, well done jumping to a completely clueless conclusion. I have plenty of energy for the things that matter to me. Your facile summary doesn't touch on all the complexities of the issue, and I grasp all of them, but the pressure will not go away.

Brick walls crumble. See: Berlin.
    Meaning of facile (adjective)
    expressing yourself readily, clearly, effectively; fluent; silver; silver-tongued; smooth-spoken

I thank you for the compliment sir.

The issues regarding turf vs. grass at BMO aren't complex in the least. They are just made to seem that way to keep a rather pointless debate alive. The thing is I'm bored of it now so I'll concede that you were right and I was wrong. This is a complex issue and if we all shout loud enough and long enough the social injustice that is field turf at BMO field, likened by you to the Berlin wall, will be rectified and the perpetrators of this atrocity will be brought to justice. Until then, enjoy your victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I believe you can rent out the Rogers Centre and the ACC. People might not be able to afford it for softball or hockey. But evangelical, jesus events and monster truck can. BMO is not the ACC and it is not the Rogers Centre and that is what makes it great. I am also very much for the development of Canadian soccer and I see BMO being part of that. There's also varying degrees of turf and they have come along way. We also have harsh conditions here in Toronto, and to be honest I would rather see money spent in other areas before trying to replace the field turf. I also think a lot of people here haven't played on real grass or haven't played on field turf. And yes there is a big difference between the turf at Giants stadium and BMO. Just my thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I repeat.

And this topic is not something we should give up on.

It is important to us.

Tempo, should we be allowed to rent the Rogers Centre to play beer league softball? What about men's league hockey down at the ACC. Public money went into those places too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post
    You know, both our fans joke about Red Bull being shit(e) but one thing I have to respect is the fact that their fans put pressure on their new owners (Red Bull) to buy out AEG's share of the stadium, meaning they would not have a dorky stage on one end and actually have a world class european-style soccer specific stadium.

Here was the original "MetroStars" stadium" plan
    Cookie cutter, high school stadium with a partial roof and a stage ala Toyota Park...

and here is Red Bull Park (now under construction)

We all can learn something from them.

Perhaps when the Argos protest is over, it is time to kick it up a notch to pressure your owners to buy out the city's share of the stadium.

If it can happen in NY with their shit fan base it should be possible in T-dot.

i cant believe the redbull are gettin a stadium like that
    omg....
    that pretty much looks like a european stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing the Vancouver/Galaxy game, I am fine with turf. It reminded me of the soccer pitches I played on in highschool where center and the GK areas were no better than gravel.

I know turf is a bit hard, so I wonder if there is an underpad that can be laid down underneath it to make it a bit softer (kind of like carpet underpad)?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NateDoGG View Post
    i cant believe the redbull are gettin a stadium like that
    omg....
    that pretty much looks like a european stadium

Personally I think most of those European box style stadiums are boring. I prefer some of the newer Asia inspired designs like DC United's proposed stadium.

Which originally was actually a cookie cutter design:

But now is more Asia inspired:

The roof is designed to acoustically funnel the supporter's end's noise around the stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope when MLSE and the city is ready to expand the stadium in like 3 years...That they really put the hammer down on the redesign! and truely make it world class!..Can't wait!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dozitwin View Post
    Meaning of facile (adjective)
    expressing yourself readily, clearly, effectively; fluent; silver; silver-tongued; smooth-spoken

I thank you for the compliment sir.
    Ah, sadly, you missed the definition that was actually being used:

Arrived at without due care, effort, or examination; superficial: proposed a facile solution to a complex problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozy twin
    The issues regarding turf vs. grass at BMO aren't complex in the least. They are just made to seem that way to keep a rather pointless debate alive. The thing is I'm bored of it now so I'll concede that you were right and I was wrong. This is a complex issue and if we all shout loud enough and long enough the social injustice that is field turf at BMO field, likened by you to the Berlin wall, will be rectified and the perpetrators of this atrocity will be brought to justice. Until then, enjoy your victory.
    Superb. I shall revel in my glorious victory over the oppressor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Can we move on, It seems like every week someone brings Field Turf, Streamers,Fuck Bill Archer,Reb Bulls are Shiite,The Beer at BMO is expensive. Fuck it is getting boring.
    But the above things are true!! LOL

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Feel free to start riveting and interesting new topics of discussion at any time.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But fuck Bill Archer is a guaranteed hit post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think most of those European box style stadiums are boring. I prefer some of the newer Asia inspired designs like DC United's proposed stadium.

Which originally was actually a cookie cutter design:

But now is more Asia inspired:

The roof is designed to acoustically funnel the supporter's end's noise around the stadium.

I love that look my self as well my friend. I would love def. to see our stadium looking like that one day, boy wouldnt that be beautiful?! lol plus could you imagine how it would sound?! GEEZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep... some kind of white / fan style roof like above could certainly dress up our (lets face it) bare bones stadium. I like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if the stadium can't be sold due to legal restrictions there's no reason why MLSE can't exclusively lease it for an 'X' amount of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking about this. Carl Robinson said on the Soccer Show last night that BMO's turf was miles better than the surface in New York or Real Salt Lake.

However what was not said was that Salt Lake is moving into a new stadium with real grass in October and New York is moving into a stadium with real grass in 2009. Philadelphia is going to have real grass in 2010 and there is talk of possibly bringing in real grass to Seattle's Qwest field in the 2010 season. Houston's stadium has been confirmed to have real grass as well. Montreal has real grass. New England is looking to build a stadium closer to Boston with real grass in the 2010-2012 time frame. Portland's plans would include laying down real grass at PGE park once the baseball team moves out and it is converted to a Soccer Specific Stadium.

What this means is that come 2010 perhaps only Toronto FC and New England will have the fake stuff and come 2012 BMO may be the only MLS stadium that has it.

Just an observation.
    I have to bring up the first post because I just have to add to it.

It makes me LAUGH SO HARD that the Government built BMO field for the country to have a "NATIONAL SOCCER STADIUM" yet our National Soccer team doesn't want to play in Toronto because of the Crappy Turf.

Also here is another food for thought. I know its another sport but check this out:

When Minnesota and Tampa get their new baseball parks The Toronto Blue Jays will be the only team to play on artificial turf.

Now if anyone says Toronto can't have grass because of climate PLEASE Minnesota is having grass and last I check Commmonwealth Stadium in Edmonton has grass