Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BMO Field, last stadium with FakeTurf?

I was just thinking about this. Carl Robinson said on the Soccer Show last night that BMO's turf was miles better than the surface in New York or Real Salt Lake.

However what was not said was that Salt Lake is moving into a new stadium with real grass in October and New York is moving into a stadium with real grass in 2009. Philadelphia is going to have real grass in 2010 and there is talk of possibly bringing in real grass to Seattle's Qwest field in the 2010 season. Houston's stadium has been confirmed to have real grass as well. Montreal has real grass. New England is looking to build a stadium closer to Boston with real grass in the 2010-2012 time frame. Portland's plans would include laying down real grass at PGE park once the baseball team moves out and it is converted to a Soccer Specific Stadium.

What this means is that come 2010 perhaps only Toronto FC and New England will have the fake stuff and come 2012 BMO may be the only MLS stadium that has it.

Just an observation.
    Last edited by footyfan; 05-16-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Make it stop

Enough of this argument. Please go back to the last board to rehash all the old arguments for and against.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope it comes to the point where we are the only team with it.

Something has got to give here. The stadium situation as it stands now simply is not going to last.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    I hope it comes to the point where we are the only team with it.

Something has got to give here. The stadium situation as it stands now simply is not going to last.
    Nothing has to give or is going to give. Man I hope we are the last and only satdium with turf. Why do we have to be like everyone else.

Our environment suits a turf. Fuck I man I turne don the LA vs Vancouver game the other night in Edmonton. Well they were plying on grass and dirt. They looked like kangaroos out there with the ball bouncing all over the place. I couldn't watch the game and after 5 minutes I had to to change the channel. It looked so bush league with the field and all.. I also remember watching a Monday night NFL game last year between the Stealers and Dolphins on natural grass. With all the rain and mud the players looked like pigs playing in mud.

Keep the turf and end this bullshit discussion.

Rather than worry about if we will be the only team with grass you should worry whether the MLS will even last another 5-10 years. You talk about city's and stadiums that are putting in grass well that grass won't last long when only 3-4 thousand fans showing up for some of the matches????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you're listening to our podcasts now huh, we know you love TFC, might be time switch your allegiance. As for the turf, MLSE has to pony up and buy out BMO for that to even have a chance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    So you're listening to our podcasts now huh, we know you love TFC, might be time switch your allegiance. As for the turf, MLSE has to pony up and buy out BMO for that to even have a chance.
    From my understanding its not possible as BMO is part of exhibition place which by law cant be sold (i think it takes something extreme like parliament to strike against it).

Essentially what would have to happen is the CSA would have to pressure local/provincial/national gov to fund grass.
    So basically we are fucked.
    Fuck you CSA cunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By 2012 we will install the NEW Generation 7 FieldTurf, which will be even better then what we have now! Our turf right now is TOP of the line!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    Nothing has to give or is going to give. Man I hope we are the last and only satdium with turf. Why do we have to be like everyone else.

I never said anything of the sort. I think it is perfectly justified to say that BMO Field will probably see some signifficant changes in the next five years.

By the stadium situation I wasnt even referring specifically to the grass/turf issue. I was referring mainly to the real issue that comes before anything dealing with grass/turf or the Argos; that of ownership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    By the stadium situation I wasnt even referring specifically to the grass/turf issue. I was referring mainly to the real issue that comes before anything dealing with grass/turf or the Argos; that of ownership.
    And you're right things will change because now there's proof that there are profits to be made off soccer in Toronto and in this city nothing stands in the way of profits (that can be good and bad).

The MLS is looking good for five years from now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather than worry about if we will be the only team with grass you should worry whether the MLS will even last another 5-10 years. You talk about city's and stadiums that are putting in grass well that grass won't last long when only 3-4 thousand fans showing up for some of the matches????

Clearly you don't have clue about MLS.

The league is actually more stable now than it ever has been and ceased being in 'danger' in 2004.

And I can't think off hand of any team drawing an average of 3-4,000 fans.

You're ignorant.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post

I've been a listener to the Soccer Show on FAN590 since last year and I listen to the footyshow podcast cause the shows are entertaining. I also listen to Screaming Eagles podcast, The Soccer Show on WJFK and other United radio shows, TV shows, podcasts.

I see you guys as our future greatest rival, New York will always be shit but you guys have the support and ambition to be a force someday so I like to keep an eye on the enemy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post
    The league is actually more stable now than it ever has been and ceased being in 'danger' in 2004.
    You're ignorant.
    Agree with all your points, especially the last one.

I do think the grass will come in time at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJamboTFC View Post

I wouldnt be so sure about that...maybe only for important matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are we bringing up this arguement again. The turf/grass situation is not going to change as long as the city owns any part for the stadium. If MLSE decide to buy out BMO them we'll talk. Until then all the bitching in the world will not change the pitch. Let it die people.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope so. Champions deserve grass and someday soon, you will be Champions (Canada Cup).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget the vastly more important Trillium Cup

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dozitwin View Post
    Why are we bringing up this arguement again. The turf/grass situation is not going to change as long as the city owns any part for the stadium. If MLSE decide to buy out BMO them we'll talk. Until then all the bitching in the world will not change the pitch. Let it die people.
    You know, both our fans joke about Red Bull being shit(e) but one thing I have to respect is the fact that their fans put pressure on their new owners (Red Bull) to buy out AEG's share of the stadium, meaning they would not have a dorky stage on one end and actually have a world class european-style soccer specific stadium.

Here was the original "MetroStars" stadium" plan
    Cookie cutter, high school stadium with a partial roof and a stage ala Toyota Park...

and here is Red Bull Park (now under construction)

We all can learn something from them.

Perhaps when the Argos protest is over, it is time to kick it up a notch to pressure your owners to buy out the city's share of the stadium.

If it can happen in NY with their shit fan base it should be possible in T-dot.
    Last edited by footyfan; 05-16-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a listener to the Soccer Show on FAN590 since last year and I listen to the footyshow podcast cause the shows are entertaining. I also listen to Screaming Eagles podcast, The Soccer Show on WJFK and other United radio shows, TV shows, podcasts.

I see you guys as our future greatest rival, New York will always be shit but you guys have the support and ambition to be a force someday so I like to keep an eye on the enemy

I seriously think you live and work here!! Or you have family here that you visit ALL the time! Hopefully you'll be a TFC fan come the end of may when we beat you like a red headed step-child!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're ignorant.
    I'd bet you that there are at least 5 teams in the league with less than 2,000 Season tickets sold. Another 5 probaly with leas than 5,000 season ticket sold. The base isn't good for these teams. Hopefully with new stadiums it will increaase their season ticket base.

TFC is the exception to the rule

Look up the #'s and then you will see who is ignorant.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, both our fans joke about Red Bull being shit(e) but one thing I have to respect is the fact that their fans put pressure on their new owners to buy out AEG's share of the stadium, meaning they would not have a dorky stage on one end and actually have a world class european-style soccer specific stadium.

We all can learn something from them.

Perhaps when the Argos protest is over, it is time to kick it up a notch to pressure your owners to buy out the city's share of the stadium.

If it can happen in NY with their shit fan base it should be possible in T-dot.
    The stadium being on the Exhibition grounds complicates things.

I think I may have even read in this thread that the City simply cant sell the facility, whether they want to or not.

I really hope that isnt the case. We all know MLSE could pay the city more than it cost to build the thing.

Problem is it is a public facility that seems to be generating revenue for the city.

No sports fan on earth is going to put up a succesful argument for privatization of money making venture by a cash strapped city. The politicians will have none of it, and like it or not, the majority of their constituents could not care less about Toronto FC, soccer, or a 'gameday experience'.

I wish we were in a better situation, but for the time being, the stadium's future as a SSS/city facility/multi-purpose facility is completely up in the air.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wouldn't let this hope die just yet.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd bet you that there are at least 5 teams in the league with less than 2,000 Season tickets sold. Another 5 probaly with leas than 5,000 season ticket sold. The base isn't good for these teams. Hopefully with new stadiums it will increaase their season ticket base.

TFC is the exception to the rule

Look up the #'s and then you will see who is ignorant.

Ignorant, is discounting the fact that 30% of MLS's fan base IN THE USA are hispanic/latino. Culturally they do not buy season tickets but account for large walk-up sales which puts all the averages well over 10,000.

Ignorant is believing TFC is a one-size-fits-all approach to MLS.

Ignorant is believing that season ticket sales are the sole arbiter of profitability of MLS clubs. Would you believe me if I told you that tickets (season or otherwise) account for only 50% of profitability?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you coming to my house to stab me in the chest? Because when I'm fucking dead is when I will stop going on about the grass at BMO. You get passion, right? Why would you continue to be happy about almost-real football when you could actually have the real stuff. When BMO has grass, or I'm pushing up daisies, that's when I'll stop pushing for grass at our stadium.

Okay with you?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    I seriously think you live and work here!! Or you have family here that you visit ALL the time! Hopefully you'll be a TFC fan come the end of may when we beat you like a red headed step-child!!

Ok. When I was a kid, my parents used to take me to summer vacation in Toronto every year. So I am very familiar with the city and surroundings. Its a lovely place. I think Canada and Toronto gets a bad rep from a lot of my countrymen who never have been there.

In the 90s I used to drive up there for parties and had some friends who live up there. They may even be TFC fans (not sure, haven't heard from them in ages).

I get CBC on my digital box (just found out last week) and so I can watch your news and programs.

I like Toronto but initially looked at your team with bemusement.

Regardless, I am a DC fan for ages now. If your team becomes a force we will be rivals.
    Last edited by footyfan; 05-16-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you coming to my house to stab me in the chest? Because when I'm fucking dead is when I will stop going on about the grass at BMO. You get passion, right? Why would you continue to be happy about almost-real football when you could actually have the real stuff. When BMO has grass, or I'm pushing up daisies, that's when I'll stop pushing for grass at our stadium.

Okay with you?
    Well I hope you enjoy your sad and miserable life then. This arguement has absoluely nothing to do with passion and I at no point did said that I was happy with almost-real football; although the football is real enough, it's the turf that's the issue. This topic has been debated and redebated over and over again and the arguements on each side haven't changed. TFC knows we want real grass and the City of Toronto doesn't care if we want real grass so, as I said, until MLSE buys BMO out right the debate is pointless. Hey man it's your life, if you want to spend the rest of it shouting at a brick wall, have at 'er.
    Last edited by Dozitwin; 05-16-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the pleasure of playing on the BMO field turf and IMO its not all that bad. I've played on natural turfs that were certainly less forgiving. I think that the key is maintenance. Stadium officials cannot allow the field to get compacted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all TFC fans are for the grass. I am for the turf and community use of the fields.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who picked off the scab on this topic? There is NOTHING new to discuss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I hope you enjoy you're sad and miserable life then. This arguement has absoluely nothing to do with passion and I at no point did said that I was happy with almost-real football; although the football is real enough, it's the turf that's the issue. This topic has been debated and redebated over and over again and the arguements on each side haven't changed. TFC knows we want real grass and the City of Toronto doesn't care if we want real grass so, as I said, until MLSE buys BMO out right the debate is pointless. Hey man it's your life, if you want to spend the rest of it shouting at a brick wall, have at 'er.
    There's nothing sad and miserable about my life, well done jumping to a completely clueless conclusion. I have plenty of energy for the things that matter to me. Your facile summary doesn't touch on all the complexities of the issue, and I grasp all of them, but the pressure will not go away.

Brick walls crumble. See: Berlin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brick walls crumble. See: Berlin.

Alternately, see China, subsection: Great Wall of.

If we get Grass we need to do it right with the proper installation and care taking. i.e. looks like Anfield as opposed Commonwelath.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid