Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Nothing wrong with Joe Bendik as a person. He'll always be welcome at BMO. Anyone here would stand him a pint anytime.

But he had too many games like this one. I'd wager he would agree.
    http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/mat...ls/video/35305
    Oh god. The goal tending. And Toronto defenders repeatedly forward way too far despite facing speedy forwards. Among other things. Even Giovinco magic (and a bit of luck) not enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Nothing wrong with Joe Bendik as a person. He'll always be welcome at BMO. Anyone here would stand him a pint anytime.

But he had too many games like this one. I'd wager he would agree.
    http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/mat...ls/video/35305
    my god, this team was so defesively bad. And that formation too....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNCHKt0NB40

Irwin analyzes one of his saves. Interesting.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNCHKt0NB40

Irwin analyzes one of his saves. Interesting.
    Pretty good, shows he reads the game well, thanks for sharing.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in FIFA 16 on my PS4 I decided to take the guys we got rid of off the roster and added Moor, Beitashour, Johnson and Irwin and the team rating went up 1/2 a star...woohoo. Irwin made some pretty awesome saves in the games I played and defensively TFC were solid. I know, just a video game, but was fun to see how much better the defense worked in the games with the new guys versus the ones they replaced. Hopefully the real thing happens this year as well for us. Looking forward to this year. The more I read about Irwin the more I like him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So in FIFA 16 on my PS4 I decided to take the guys we got rid of off the roster and added Moor, Beitashour, Johnson and Irwin and the team rating went up 1/2 a star...woohoo. Irwin made some pretty awesome saves in the games I played and defensively TFC were solid. I know, just a video game, but was fun to see how much better the defense worked in the games with the new guys versus the ones they replaced. Hopefully the real thing happens this year as well for us. Looking forward to this year. The more I read about Irwin the more I like him.
    I actually did the same thing yesterday on Xbox and at the end of the season TFC was the best defensive team in the league (knock on wood). 3.5 star rating was awesome to see. Made us top 3 in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those FIFA video game simulations are pretty accurate, so here's hoping LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Count me in as another person that did the same thing.. I didn't sim a season or anything but just fiddled around with the teams lineup.. We have Depth!

Also, we have a core group that has been with this team for some time now and hasn't been shifted out.. I love that. Can't wait to see how everything plays out this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Midfield depth - check
    upgrade at centre back and at fullback - check
    upgrade at keeper - check

Training camp in two days.

Have to say that Bez and Manning have done a decent job this off season.

Now we have to see if Greg Vanney can improve enough as a manager to make it all work or not. He's out of excuses now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our most glaring needs have been addressed with high calibre players that are established at this level.

Is it a well balanced squad? Not yet, as our lack of width and the absence of a natural DM is going to limit our options. However, our starting eleven is probably the strongest it's ever been to start the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Our most glaring needs have been addressed with high calibre players that are established at this level.

Is it a well balanced squad? Not yet, as our lack of width and the absence of a natural DM is going to limit our options. However, our starting eleven is probably the strongest it's ever been to start the season.
    Well I mean last year we had a difficult time scoring, teams figured us out I mean we only tied for second in the league for goals scored. Without a wide player we are going to have like no options and it will be difficult offensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with an increased cap and with new concepts like TAM coming into play it should on paper at least be getting easier to develop that vaunted 'balanced' side. However the cap STILL seriously hamstrings GM's in this league. Virtually no one has a right back of any note (with a few exceptions) for example - And its fair to say that no team (Not even the big spenders like ourselves, TFC, NYCFC, Sounders, LAG for example) have the depth to withstand serious injuries.

You do what you can with what you have. And in TFC's case 'what you have' was some bad contracts (players being grossly overpaid by previous regimes relative to their abilities or return) and a number of under-performing players who had to be moved on.

Balance is the ideal, but damned hard in MLS. And sometimes its not even needed if you have enough strength in certain parts of your squad.

If you recall last season Columbus who scored roughly the same as us and who conceded just a few less than us got to the final. If our defense was mediocre last season (not terrible - just average or even below average) there was no reason why we could not have gone much deeper into the playoffs than we actually did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Well I mean last year we had a difficult time scoring, teams figured us out I mean we only tied for second in the league for goals scored. Without a wide player we are going to have like no options and it will be difficult offensively.
    I never stated that our lack of width and a DM was an issue offensively, I stated that it limits our options, from a tactical perspective. I'm not worried about our offensive prowess, but we might be vulnerable defensively due to our lack of speed out wide and in front of the backline.

Hopefully, the off season acquisitions will be able to compensate.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 01-20-2016 at 09:51 PM.