Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been pretty anti-Bez but he is addressing needs in a way that isn't experimental. This team has never done that.

Historically we have always addressed needs by paying up for expensive Europeans - we've rarely done much that the other teams do, inside MLS, or in South America. At least we are doing the former, for once.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Actually we still had the initial 500k of TAM available to us. I would bet after these two trades we still haven't touched (or barely touched) the second round of TAM investment of $1.6 million.
    second round of TAM was 800k over two years, not per year. before the trades we had 800k to spend by december 2017 + another 500k to spend by December 2020.

We can also assume that in December 2017 every team will get another hefty chunk of TAM to tide them over until CBA talks in 2020.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    second round of TAM was 800k over two years, not per year. before the trades we had 800k to spend by december 2017 + another 500k to spend by December 2020.

We can also assume that in December 2017 every team will get another hefty chunk of TAM to tide them over until CBA talks in 2020.
    No, it actually was $1.6 million. 800k for this year, 800k for next year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...n-player-funds

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Terrible move. He looks too much like Kocic. Bez out.
    I think he looks like Rob Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it actually was $1.6 million. 800k for this year, 800k for next year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...n-player-funds
    Wow. I totally blew by that. My bad.

That's insane though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I have been pretty anti-Bez but he is addressing needs in a way that isn't experimental. This team has never done that.

Historically we have always addressed needs by paying up for expensive Europeans - we've rarely done much that the other teams do, inside MLS, or in South America. At least we are doing the former, for once.
    I posted this in the off-season moves thread, but do you think Leiweke's influence extended beyond just the DP signings?

Manning has stepped in and immediately we've avoided Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this in the off-season moves thread, but do you think Leiweke's influence extended beyond just the DP signings?

If Manning is wielding influence on this side then i'd expect signings from Latin America too. He, Kries and Lagerway shopped there frequently at RSL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do believe that, absolutely.

Everything Leiweke did involved (i) trying to make a marketing impact (which mostly involved mistakes, ex the spectacular success with Gio) and (ii) making himself personally a player in the global agent/star$%&-er community (he was just using us as a means to an end there)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what about the fact that we went after Borjan before settling for Irwin? The deals for Johnson, Beitashour and Moor all have precedents from Bez's tenure that preceded Manning. If anything, Manning focused us in a certain direction that Bez and Co dabbled in frequently before. It's really a stretch to say it was Leiweke's mandate to go out and get the Kantari's and the Cheyrou's of the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what about the fact that we went after Borjan before settling for Irwin? The deals for Johnson, Beitashour and Moor all have precedents from Bez's tenure that preceded Manning. If anything, Manning focused us in a certain direction that Bez and Co dabbled in frequently before. It's really a stretch to say it was Leiweke's mandate to go out and get the Kantari's and the Cheyrou's of the world.
    Agreed. Cheyrou, Kantari & Perquis have Vanney written all over them from his France connections more so than Leiweke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The European players seems to me like a Vanney thing

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what about the fact that we went after Borjan before settling for Irwin? ...
    What proof do we have we went after Borjan?

Regardless, I think Bez and co knew exactly what they wanted - either an MLS vet or a quality overseas option with experience. They identified this option as soon as they heard Colorado wanted to go a different way with their keeper. Deal got done likely before the draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Regardless, I think Bez and co knew exactly what they wanted - either an MLS vet or a quality overseas option with experience. They identified this option as soon as they heard Colorado wanted to go a different way with their keeper. Deal got done likely before the draft.
    Well, Rumblings. You know how it is. Even if it wasn't specifically Borjan, the game plan was loud and clear: get an expensive goalie from Europe.

My point was that that kind of thinking (excluding dp's) didn't come in with Leiweke and it didn't stop with Manning's arrival. Bez has shown time and again an aptitude for doing things inside the league when the right player is available. You've got to think that in the cases he's gone for the Perquis'and the Cheyrou's and whoever else outside the league it was because we needed a stop gap in a position where our FO wasn't satisfied with that was available inside the league.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 01-18-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

So I've read a lot of positive things about this guy both here and through various other media individuals... If Irwin is such a decent GK, and at such a inexpensive salary why would Colorado a team that generally doesn't spend much money want to go a different direction?

Looking at his numbers there he's vastly superior to Joe Bendik. He's capable of keeping a clean sheet and on top of that his gaa is MUCH better.. which is impressive too considering the team he played on.

Hope he works out.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    And scored!

Goooooooooooarn!
    I was at that game haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    So I've read a lot of positive things about this guy both here and through various other media individuals... If Irwin is such a decent GK, and at such a inexpensive salary why would Colorado a team that generally doesn't spend much money want to go a different direction?
    Because they either:
    A) Want to go after Howard to re-energize their fanbase
    or B) Like MacMath better and thought trading Irwin was worth it for what they could get for him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a place a lot of us here are familar with, from Lamport to BMO Field for Clint with a few stops in between.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good citizen in the dressing room and on the practice pitch by everything I have read and heard

The keeper for one of MLS's most stingy defense units last season - and the role of a keeper marshalling his defenders is grossly under-rated

The relationship he has developed with Drew Moor over previous seasons

Relatively young AND Experienced

On a better wage packet by 50k than Bendik was in his time with TFC

Have to say this on the second or third look looks an excellent acquisition.

Kudos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Seems like they are doing an old school us move and going for some PR flash with Howard and dumping an all star to get him for beans. They seemed to be on a full press to get a USMNT member and after Bedoya failed then it was on to the next one which from the start was rumored to be Howard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great signing, the signals from their fans suggest he was their best player. I look forward to and hope for a well integrated backline when the season begins.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like some Rapids fans are rightly pissed they traded Irwin away.

http://www.burgundywave.com/2016/1/1...amn-kidding-me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not necessarily something to do with TFC but:

http://www.psmag.com/business-econom...-athlete-63770

A piece Irwin did a while back on what it was like living on the average NASL player's budget. Fascinating read, and one that I've kept in my bookmarks for years and come back to periodically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not a fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    This is not a fact.
    Which part exactly do you object to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which part exactly do you object to?
    No one ever confirmed they went after Borjan; it was just rumored by the usual collection of inaccurate bloggers, if I recall. If it didn't come from Neil Davidson or John Molinaro, it's a toss up. Kurt's usually accurate, too, but I know the boundaries the Sun is willing to push on bullshit, so I wouldn't even call that a lock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 26, his best years are still ahead of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.burgundywave.com/2016/1/1...amn-kidding-me

This isn't about Irwin so much as it is about the Rapids... still, thought this was worth a link. Dark times over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I a bad person for thinking I'm glad it's not TFC for once? We pretty much went through 7 years of dark times. It wasn't until Payne came along that we started imagining there was light at the end of the tunnel.