Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    When we beat someone's ass 5-nil then opinions on the colour blue will change!
    No! It will still be a loss because blue!

Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Red and blue make Magenta.

Oh when the Magenta… go marching in…

?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    So much angst over a little bit of blue.

First world problems...

Blue!!
    No! It will still be a loss because blue!

Quit trolling Jack. All of commercialized sport is a first world problem. Still, this is where I grew up and I would like to care deeply about the team that represents this area as they play the sport that I like, without feeling like some kind of weirdo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Blue!!

Toronto Argos FC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy, Comon...
    Some of you are ridiculing the idea of people being against the blue - to the point where those people have to defend their opinion.. Daveisonfire is bang on; I don't need to be made a criminal for having pride in red, and wanting nothing to do with blue.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    Quit trolling Jack. All of commercialized sport is a first world problem. Still, this is where I grew up and I would like to care deeply about the team that represents this area as they play the sport that I like, without feeling like some kind of weirdo.
    We're all here, aren't we? I think that qualifies us all as a little bit weird because we care so deeply. There is a touch of insanity to it, no? Especially after all we've seen in the past decade. I know for a fact that I am some kind of weirdo (still trying to figure out exactly which kind). Hell, I've spent more hours of my life than I care to admit worried about every detail of everything to do with TFC, support and all that goes along with that.

I'm just having a little fun because I don't think a little bit of blue in an alternate kit is the end of the TFC universe. There are some big unknowns coming up this season with the pointyball team potentially tearing up our pitch that worry me more than stripes on the kit. Or the fact that some of our fellow supporters got us sanctioned on the road. Or the fact that we barely scraped into the playoffs last season and have a lot to prove this year. Or the fact that we need to bring some fresh energy to BMO Field this summer. Lots of things still get my blood going.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Guy, Comon...
    Some of you are ridiculing the idea of people being against the blue - to the point where those people have to defend their opinion.. Daveisonfire is bang on; I don't need to be made a criminal for having pride in red, and wanting nothing to do with blue.
    I'm ridiculing the hyperbole. I am not particularly fond of the blue, but it's not the end of the world, either. Facebook is especially rich today, is all. And they've done all sorts of things with the alternate jersey. If they added blue to the main red shirt, then you'd see a different reaction from me. I disliked the shit out of the onyx last year, so I didn't buy it.
    Last edited by Jack; 03-01-2016 at 01:14 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I actually thought it looked alright in the picture with Seba because the blue didn't stand out right away very much but looking at the close up picture to me it just doesn't look right. Maybe I need to get used to it....and it is not because it is the colour blue....just doesn't look right as a thick bar at the top of the red. Oh well, will stick with kits I have.
    My immediate reaction, too.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fine. What most of us are railing against is the idea that this is some grand conspiracy concocted by our owners in order to gain favor with a team and a set of fans that they have no actual reason to cater to. It's an irrational idea that doesn't lend itself to any logical dialogue about the merits of having blue as one of our colors, whatever minor form that it might be in (and it will be minor).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're all here, aren't we? I think that qualifies us all as a little bit weird because we care so deeply. There is a touch of insanity to it, no? Especially after all we've seen in the past decade. I know for a fact that I am some kind of weirdo (still trying to figure out exactly which kind). Hell, I've spent more hours of my life than I care to admit worried about every detail of everything to do with TFC, support and all that goes along with that.

I'm just having a little fun because I don't think a little bit of blue in an alternate kit is the end of the TFC universe. There are some big unknowns coming up this season with the pointyball team potentially tearing up our pitch that worry me more than stripes on the kit. Or the fact that some of our fellow supporters got us sanctioned on the road. Or the fact that we barely scraped into the playoffs last season and have a lot to prove this year. Or the fact that we need to bring some fresh energy to BMO Field this summer. Lots of things still get my blood going.

100% with you on this...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Guy, Comon...

Relax guy,

I'm just playing. I'm with you 100% - I won't be caught in anything but red and I don't see how blue connects to TFC.

But it's just an Alt jersey, It's not an away kit. The club should treat it like that - only use it when absolutely necessary. We are the reds. Not The Metro-Croatia/Blizzards

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    What Molinaro is saying

I regret not picking up one of the pink jerseys actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody else notice the new motto at the end of that video?

All together. All on guard. All for one.

Too much thinking going on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Relax guy,

I'm just playing. I'm with you 100% - I won't be caught in anything but red and I don't see how blue connects to TFC.

But it's just an Alt jersey, It's not an away kit. The club should treat it like that - only use it when absolutely necessary. We are the reds. Not The Metro-Croatia/Blizzards
    Dropping Red would be something similar when the Raptors moved away from purple. Purple was their color for years from Damon, Vince etc, heck even the Jays moved away from Blue to Black, so anyone can do it, it happens.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winner.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 03-01-2016 at 01:28 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Dropping Red would be something similar when the Raptors moved away from purple. Purple was their color for years from Damon, Vince etc, heck even the Jays moved away from Blue to Black, so anyone can do it, it happens.
    None of those teams are/were known by their colours: No one used to say, "Come On You Purples."

I'm just saying.

(I don't hate this jersey - but I'm not a fan of the shorts.)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heepster View Post
    It looks more like the early 1980s white Canada jersey than the Blizzard or Metros-Croatia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/canada...7625823331045/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/canada...7625823331045/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn7zFbL-cXc (Canada-Mexico WCQ game at Exhibition Stadium in October 1980-- on that terrible old artificial turf)
    I own one of these. Scored it at Varsity Stadium after a game in the early '80s. So much easier to brazenly mooch stuff when you were a kid.

The blue is on there because of sponsorship from Labatt Breweries. It didn't last long and was gone before we began Marching To Mexico.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if anyone else read the write-up in the Sun talking with MLSE's head of brand marketing (david Freeman) about the new threads, so here it is for those interested:

Once Canada’s MLS team, Toronto FC is going red, white and — wait for it — blue in its away kit this season.That sound you hear is the collective echo of supporters’ heads exploding.
    OK, fine. Enough with the sarcastic humour.

Adding a third colour is serious stuff.

And the club’s top brass is hoping you’ll take pause and consider the explanation.

“When Toronto FC first started, everything was red. Everything was Canada, Canada, Canada,” said David Freeman, MLSE’s head of brand marketing.
    “There were Canadian flags everywhere. Right now, we don’t have the permission to say, ‘We’re Canada’s club.’ ”

Not with Vancouver and Montreal joining the MLS fold.
    Not with Ottawa and Edmonton in the conversation.

“If you want to make an association with a colour in Toronto, it’s going to be blue — it’s Argos, Jays, Leafs, University of Toronto,” Freeman added.
    “It’s the City of Toronto flag, too. Blue makes a lot of sense here.

Hold up, Freeman.
    This isn’t a slow transition toward painting BMO Field blue, is it?

“Never,” he responded. “We’re the Reds.”

Go on ...

“In the storied 10 years of Toronto FC, there’s not a ton to celebrate.”

Uh, not a ton? How about next to nothing, other than a few Canadian Cups?

“All we’re trying to say is there was some soccer history before Toronto FC,” Freeman explained. “They had some blue. We’re going to bring that in.”

Introducing Toronto Metros-Croatia, the former NASL side that eventually turned into the Toronto Blizzard.
    Metros-Croatia wore predominately red and white kits with subtle hints of blue.
    The club’s star player, Portuguese soccer legend Eusebio, scored the game-winning goal in the 1976 Soccer Bowl.
    To honour Toronto’s largely ignored soccer history, the Reds plan to pay tribute to the aforementioned NASL sides multiple times this season.

“Can we focus ourselves on being Toronto’s club first and foremost? What does that mean?” Freeman asked in a one-on-one with the Sun.
    “Let’s look back at the history in this city and garner some inspiration from that.”

The Reds will wear their new whites on the road and four times at home this season. They’ll be red every other weekend of the year.

“Outside of these throwback historical nights, we’re still Toronto FC. We’re the Reds,” Freeman insisted. “We’re red at home.
    “We’ve already landed on our red jersey for the 2017 season. That’s pretty much done. In 2018, we’ll change this one.
    “Hopefully, the plan will be to keep blue in it a little bit, but make it fresh and clean.”

Emphasis on “a little bit.”

But who knows? There’s certainly nothing wrong with adding in a new colour scheme.

World-class clubs do it all the time. Who can forget those audacious lime-green Barcelona jerseys?
    And for all you CFL conspiracy theorists, there’s pretty strong evidence to suggest the Argonauts had nothing to do with this.
    Keep in mind Adidas requires kits to be designed two years in advance.

“The Argos weren’t in the discussion when this got finalized,” Freeman responded when pressed.
    “What we’re going to do is honour Metros-Croatia and honour guys from the Blizzard and talk about the history of professional soccer in this city.”

That’s not to say MLSE isn’t aware of the risks.

The Columbus Crew learned the hard way recently that adding a third colour — sky blue — can have ramifications.

The Eastern Conference champions were mocked and ridiculed when they released their new kits earlier this month.

“Lot's of people said that looked crazy, but it’s rooted in something,” Freeman said. “That’s what the City of Columbus’ flag looks like.”

It’s about taking measured risks.

“If TFC rolls out wearing pink uniforms with no authenticity and no history, we’re going to get destroyed,” Freeman said.

“The south end is going to destroy us.”

To which I replied: “You might get destroyed regardless.”

There’s also a chance, though, that TFC fans will appreciate what Freeman called a “hat tip” to Toronto’s soccer past.
    While the game plays a massive role in shaping portions of this city, Toronto’s soccer landscape remains splintered.
    Efforts to highlight tradition are a step in the right direction to show it’s OK to support the game at every level in this city.
    And one more thing: You’ll notice the tiny blue strip is much smaller than the block of red beneath it.

“It’s not 50-50,” Freeman added.
    “That’s not how blue and red exist in our colour scheme. We didn’t want blue and red to exist in the same proportion.

“Red is a more important colour for us. Red is predominant.”
    So after reading the interview, it does suggest to me that TFC is interested in including blue into the team's identity. It's obvious that Red will remain the predominate colour, of course, but I don't think it's a stretch to say there is some thought being given to using it as they might the light and dark onyx.

It's actually a very mixed message in some ways. Freeman is doubling down on the denial that blue will be used as anything other than a trim - and I do believe him, but there are a lot of positive words being used when he mentions the colour. If any of that strikes someone as the musing of a conspiracy nut, so be it. Personally, none of that strikes me as a particularly outlandish, but again I do believe it gives the club a little wiggle room to appease the incoming Argos and their fans at BMO Field.

As an aside, from a purely aesthetic point-of-view, I kinda like the new top. It's simple, clean, and a little bold to be honest. Not as much a fan of the shorts, though. I think that's been the general consensus so far.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 03-01-2016 at 08:33 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Ta-da.

What have I've been saying in this thread and others like the Stadium thread.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do have one concern: From the sounds of the interview, somebody wanted to introduce a 4th colour into the pallate for our jersey, a colour beyond red, white and onyx, and thought blue would be a good choice.

My understanding is these are the same people who have the 2017 home shirt pretty much designed and in the can. I would hope that any thought of blue in that shirt would be extinguished.

I would suggest that those who are angry/upset/peeved/slightly annoyed at the blue in the alternate make sure they tell TFC in no uncertain terms that the home main kit next kit should have no blue whatsoever.

Because if they put blue in that, that's a travesty.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-01-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcp-ip View Post
    Do they sell Onyx Sharpies?

I like your thinking.

I would have liked to see them take the old Blizzard shirt with the red-blue sleeves and reproduce it substituting our gray for the blue. Simple solution. It would have had the retro look but maintained our colours. The skeptic and cynic in me says they actually planned to use gray but saw an opportune moment to slip in blue.

As for this new outfit - Meh. It needs a collar in the worst way to achieve a proper retro look.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note,

does anybody else think it looks like a glorified t-shirt?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    True, but...

When The Blue jays changed to black didn't they drop the Blue from their name on the uniforms and try to be called "The Jays". That didn't really work and they went back to being the Blue Jays.

The Raptors were never called the purples. So they can change to whatever colour they want.

TFC has no need to change from the Reds - and they are not doing that with this Alt kit change so let's not even go there.
    This is simply the addition of blue to their away kit.

The only connect TFC has to blue is through the City of Toronto flag. And also this kit is a throw-back to the history of soccer in the city, so sure add blue because of the Blizzards/metro croatia.

I personally don't like the addition of the blue.
    I liked that TFC was different from all of the other sports teams in this city by going Red.

For me - adding blue is like adding a big loser sign on themselves similar to the other losers in this city - Leafs, Argos, Jays, Marlies...Shity blue teams with the occasional fluke win streak.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    True, but...

When The Blue jays changed to black didn't they drop the Blue from their name on the uniforms and try to be called "The Jays". That didn't really work and they went back to being the Blue Jays.

The Raptors were never called the purples. So they can change to whatever colour they want.

TFC has no need to change from the Reds - and they are not doing that with this Alt kit change so let's not even go there.
    This is simply the addition of blue to their away kit.

The only connect TFC has to blue is through the City of Toronto flag. And also this kit is a throw-back to the history of soccer in the city, so sure add blue because of the Blizzards/metro croatia.

I personally don't like the addition of the blue.
    I liked that TFC was different from all of the other sports teams in this city by going Red.

For me - adding blue is like adding a big loser sign on themselves similar to the other losers in this city - Leafs, Argos, Jays, Marlies...Shity blue teams with the occasional fluke win streak.
    Hey don't bash the Marlies ( : Best in the American League. Was at their game a few weeka ago at the ACC, had over 10K. but yeh Red is pretty special.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note,

does anybody else think it looks like a glorified t-shirt?
    What I was alluding to above. Nothing sharp about it IMPO.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-01-2016 at 02:37 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys understand that teams and cities don't have monopolies on colors, right? it's a lazy idea. Each city and each team has different colors associated with it for specific reasons, and to say that this team isn't connected to the city, and therefore connected to blue as a color is close-minded. This is supposed to be something for the fans. They're honoring the people of this city and the teams and institutions which bore this color. We should be thankful for that, and I for one appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fricking love the new kit! Based on my personal taste its hands down the best kit of the 2016 season! Second best kit in TFC history after the black onyx kit, imho. The giovinco version looks stunning but the blue shorts are gross. Imagine an onyx kit with red stripes and blue trim....damnnnnn!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    What I was eluding to above. Nothing sharp about it IMPO.
    Alluding.

Anything to help you be the best mod you can be.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    I fricking love the new kit! Based on my personal taste its hands down the best kit of the 2016 season! Second best kit in TFC history after the black onyx kit, imho. The giovinco version looks stunning but the blue shorts are gross. Imagine an onyx kit with red stripes and blue trim....damnnnnn!!
    Uh. No.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, just realised something.

All these teams have an alternate 3rd kit.

We have an alternate 3rd pair of shorts.