Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Drogba Returns to IMFC

It appears Drogba will be back for the Impact this season.

Noel Butler: https://twitter.com/TheSoccerNoel/st...80254145536000

@didierdrogba will indeed be suited and booted in @impactmontreal Blue this season. More details to come

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be so quick on this... we've seen reports saying he had retired already as well. I'm waiting for something official.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to a release from Montreal on their camp roster he's going to join the team in mid-February.

This is one of the most interesting player situations I've ever seen... it really just looks like it was too difficult for him to get out of his contract (assuming he has in fact given up on that). What is he going to say to the media when he comes back? Will he be as dedicated? Is 3 weeks of pre-season enough for him to be ready to start the year? What an odd situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's their Defoe..except they're stuck with him.
    Sucks..he looked like he was enjoying it here last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is he going to Qatar to prepare for preseason and then join the team for second half of pre-season?
    Why wouldn't he join the team this weekend for the start of preseason?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with him coming back next season you can't shake the fact that he tried to ditch the team, that's gotta have some sort of residual effect on team morale

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe was rehabbing in London.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for the league.

As for us:

One season more and he's done.

Let's see how he does through a full season.

Over under on goals? 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurt larsen s mtl groupies are trolling that DD is better then SEBA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Good for the league.

As for us:

One season more and he's done.

Let's see how he does through a full season.

Over under on goals? 10
    10? He scored 11 goals in 11 games last season. The only way he won't set a new MLS record is if he is limited by injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    10? He scored 11 goals in 11 games last season. The only way he won't set a new MLS record is if he is limited by injuries.
    Or significantly regresses, which is entirely possible seeing as he's at least 39.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ya he's one of those players that has a decent soccer iq - so as he aged he was able to continue to contribute. I say he gets 18. And that's with injuries.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kantari is out of the league now - Goal a game ain't gonna continue.

Injuries, turf, travel, heat . He'll play 25 and score 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see him hovering around the 25 appearances mark, so I'll give him 15-20 goals. The guy is straight up unstoppable in the box in this league, let's be honest.

I think he's going to be slowed down by nagging injuries at his age. Montreal is boned if he picks up a long term injury. And with him joining pre-season late, wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't score until a few games in either.
    Last edited by notthesun; 01-24-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Even with him coming back next season you can't shake the fact that he tried to ditch the team, that's gotta have some sort of residual effect on team morale
    I wouldn't really call it ditching, he is an older player who is being offered a job in management where he is a legend and I don't think many would turn down an offer like that. He could have simply retired as no one can really stop you from doing so.

I think he will be pretty good this year again, he would want to go out with a bang.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still don't think he's coming back. I'll eat my words if he does.

This is is a season ticket push by the Impact. Why would he be in Qatar, training away from the team?

@IAmJermainDefoe: Rehab has gone well !Back to Toronto Monday, and ready for playoff push# goals .
    Last edited by Ivy; 01-24-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    He could have simply retired as no one can really stop you from doing so.
    If he could have done this, he would have. But if he retired he would not be able to take another job (within anything FIFA-sanctioned) until the length of time for which his contract would have applied passes. That's why Chelsea and Montreal/MLS were in talks; Chelsea wanted to strike a deal to compensate Montreal for prying Drogba while he was still under contract. It seems as though Montreal/MLS played hardball and Chelsea has backed off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Or significantly regresses, which is entirely possible seeing as he's at least 39.
    He is 37. Younger than Brady and Manning and the 82 players who have played in the NHL who have been 40 plus. Why is his age a negative to you but no one talked about the old geasers who faced each other in the pointy ballgame today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    He is 37. Younger than Brady and Manning and the 82 players who have played in the NHL who have been 40 plus. Why is his age a negative to you but no one talked about the old geasers who faced each other in the pointy ballgame today?
    Along with Jaromír Jágr who is 43 haha.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-24-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    If he could have done this, he would have. But if he retired he would not be able to take another job (within anything FIFA-sanctioned) until the length of time for which his contract would have applied passes. That's why Chelsea and Montreal/MLS were in talks; Chelsea wanted to strike a deal to compensate Montreal for prying Drogba while he was still under contract. It seems as though Montreal/MLS played hardball and Chelsea has backed off.
    That's a good point.

I never thought of that actually but didn't Nelsen join us when he was with QPR still? Announced his retirement to become our manager and I don't think TFC paid any compensation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apples and oranges.
    Drogba was / is good, but I'm certain he won't perform like he did last year.
    See Marco Di Viao.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pointy ball and hockey puck anomalies don't prove anything but that anomalies exist.

Drogba is slowing down

AND, well, just read this by Doyle from that CBus series finale:

You can’t win in the playoffs if your stars don’t play like stars. Kei Kamara, Ethan Finlay and Wil Trapp played like stars. Didier Drogba, Ignacio Piatti and Laurent Ciman decidedly did not.

Drogba’s disappearance was particularly shocking given his well-earned reputation as a big-game player, and the fact that he’d basically stomped a hole into the rest of MLS since his arrival. But Gregg Berhalter made a calculated risk, pulling right back Harrison Afful inside a step or two to help out Michael Parkhurst, and it worked:

Coaches are going to adjust around Drogba.

Now, lets look at who he played last season in his 11 games.

1. Union - 0 goals 31 minutes

2. Chicago - 3 goals

3. LAG - 0 goals

4. NER - 1 goal, 1 assist

5. Chicago - 1 goal

6. DC United - 2 goals

7. Orlando - 0 goals 31 minutes played

8. NYRB - 1 goal (lost 2-1)

9. Colorado - 1 goal

10. NER - 0 goals

11. TFC - 2 goals

Apart from the NYRB and the Rapids game, he scored goals against inept defensive teams.

First 5 games for Montreal

Vancouver away (Drogba might not go)

NYRB home (in the Dome)

Dallas away

Seattle away

Columbus home (Dome)

Lets see how he does in a 5 game stretch, 3 of those away, 4 on turf, 2 cross country games and against some decent coaches and defenders. He scores 4 or more in those games, then he'll get 18+. Until I see him beat up on people other then DCU, TFC defence last season and the Fire, I remain unconvinced of his unstopability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That's a good point.

I never thought of that actually but didn't Nelsen join us when he was with QPR still? Announced his retirement to become our manager and I don't think TFC paid any compensation.
    He did, but QPR let him go (released him from his contract). They allowed him to leave after they brought in 2 central defenders to replace him in the January window, plus his knees had the structural integrity of a house of cards at that point. The salient point here is that there wasn't any disagreement between Nelsen and QPR, but there is between Drogba and Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he as good as Mama Sidibe? I doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Kurt larsen s mtl groupies are trolling that DD is better then SEBA.
    If Limpact fans didn't have their delusions, they wouldn't have anything at all. Let's leave them in their happy place.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be he's only with MLS until the summer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh give me a break Ya I know he plays for the our hated rivals but unless he gets injured he will score goals at a good rate, and he was asked by Chelsea to go into management and of course he would consider it nothing to do with ditching the team and pulling a Defoe no comparison. He will be a force to be reckon with whichever team plays him and he will cause us problems like during the last two games TFC played against him last season, the Impact and the MLS our much better for the simple fact that he is coming back no matter how many ways people try to analyse it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Oh give me a break Ya I know he plays for the our hated rivals but unless he gets injured he will score goals at a good rate, and he was asked by Chelsea to go into management and of course he would consider it nothing to do with ditching the team and pulling a Defoe no comparison. He will be a force to be reckon with whichever team plays him and he will cause us problems like during the last two games TFC played against him last season, the Impact and the MLS our much better for the simple fact that he is coming back no matter how many ways people try to analyse it.
    Right. People think he's going to get injured.

And yes MLS has another star player if he stays fit.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    again, regression at age (at least) 37 is more a likelihood than anything else.