Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC visiting Portland Timbers

This is Ray Gill (from Portland, OR...actually moved out here 3 years ago). I have met several of you guys when I travel up to Seattle and Vancouver. If you guys are planning on coming to Portland to catch our Reds play let me know and we can setup a place to meet and have fun. I can recommend great bars/food/hotels as well.

As for a meeting spot before the game, I would recommend either RiverPig Saloon (I know the owner so we can perhaps take over a section there) which is a great soccer bar! or North 45 on NW 21st which is a Timbers Army Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks dude that's an awesome gesture. I know personally attending a Portland game is pretty high on my list so if I ever make it out ill give you a shout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to get down for this game, the Sunday isn't the greatest for a weekend road trip. I would really like to check out a game in Portland, and seeing as this is the only game in Cascadia (voyagers cup notwithstanding), I will do my best to get down for this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ramangill, I hope we can get the West support out for this. Sunday PM game is not the best timing but I hope to be there with a few folk. Now looking at hostel accommodation as $1USD is like a gazillion $CDN by May 1. ( Blame Harper!!, I do )
    Heard a lot about Portland ; fast fact - it has the most and the most varied street food in North America as well as awesome craft beer types !!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The low value of the CDN$ alone is stopping me from any possibility of roadtrips this upcoming year....in the US anyway. Too bad. Friend of mine has a son going on a soccer trip to the US soon and exchanged $700 CDN for spending money and whatnot and only got $480 US. No thanks. The cost of things is not that much cheaper in the US to make it worth it at that steep rate (sometimes not at all cheaper in the bigger cities). Nice offer though. Portland has a good rep for that kind of thing. Pretty sure we do too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if we should turn this into an all things west coast road trip or not.

I'm going to be heading to the game in SJ as my brother lives in SF and I was going to visit him this summer anyway. If anyone else is thinking of going let me know, we are debating getting away section seats vs getting premium seats.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning on being in Portland for the game and so would definitely be into meeting up with fellow TFCers beforehand!

In terms of tickets, does anyone know if they have an away section? My original plan was to just grab some random tickets off stubhub, but if there will actually be a group of us, it would be cool to all be together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in definitely..planning to go to Portland. Will ride down on my motorbike along the coast from Port Angeles-Victoria if the weather looks OK. Will drive if not - could carpool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm.... round trip flight to Kelowna for $308 and a week's car rental at $268 puts this into consideration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Hmmm.... round trip flight to Kelowna for $308 and a week's car rental at $268 puts this into consideration.
    Oh snap!!! Do it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    Oh snap!!! Do it!
    I'll have to see how my bank account is doing after I get back from Europe. I get back 8 weeks before that New Leaf flight to Kelowna leaves so hopefully I can swing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PDX does have all the food and craft beers!
    Yes there is a supporting section. Can't remember the section # but when SJ/SEA/VAN/LA come up, they block off a whole 2 sections.

As the date gets closer let me know who is in. If you guys need recommendations on places to stay let me know and I can help. Just remember the city is small and the stadium is in the city so everything is walkable plus the LRT and Streetcars are really good in the city and get you to all 4 corners. Depending on how many people coming down, I can get a spot for us to meet beforehand and grab some good food and craft beers as I mentioned above.

Timbers Fans are amazing and very friendly as well. They will welcome us with open arms! They will ensure we have a good experience!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Already planning on heading down from Vancouver for this. Don't care that it's a Sunday. Probably travelling on Saturday and leaving Sunday afternoon. Can't wait to see everyone!!! I will contact the Timbers FO once we get closer to the date to arrange something. We can use this thread for all info pertaining to the trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland is the best beer city in the world. It is simply ridiculous the selection of craft beer. Bonkers.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Ray! Good to hear from you around these parts man! That was a good time in Seattle.
    Hope you and the wife are well.

We'll be in touch closer to the day - My sister actually moved 'back east' very recently, which is a crazy thing on its own, but perhaps she'll be wanting to visit the ol' west coast digs again and join in on the trip too.

Thanks for posting

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Not sure if we should turn this into an all things west coast road trip or not.

I'm going to be heading to the game in SJ as my brother lives in SF and I was going to visit him this summer anyway. If anyone else is thinking of going let me know, we are debating getting away section seats vs getting premium seats.
    Pint I could defo be interested in something like this, given the money and work sched works in my favour haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like 2 of us will be going ... travelling down Sat from Abbotsford, then back Monday. Any info on reasonable accommodation for 2 nights from anyone would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Portland is the best beer city in the world.
    except any city in Belgium...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ray - any suggestions on hotels for the game? Near Providence Park or closer to downtown?

My son might be looking for a ride down from Vancouver (SFU) for the game if anyone has extra space in their car.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Ray - any suggestions on hotels for the game?
    I heard theres a sweet ass government wildlife building somewhere in Oregon. You can stay for free apparently.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hotel room booked. Ended up booking through Hotwire and got a room that is a 10 minute walk down the road from the field. Heading down Saturday to enjoy some of that beer everyone is talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which hotel KidA ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the delay. Have not heard of the wildlife hotel. Can't say much about it. Not hotels around the stadium worth staying. I would say stay in downtown. Its like a 15 min walk or 1 stop ride on the LRT ($2.50 for a one way or $5 for a day pass on all Public transit).
    I would pick hotels in downtown and try and stay central around Pioneer Square. Some good hotels are The Benson, either Kimpton Hotel, Either Marriotts, The Sentinel and Hote De Luxe. All are good locations with plenty to do around it.

Who will be contacting Timbers FO? I called and said usually someone from the Supporting team members organizing it so let me know! I can setup the meetup at a bar. I have already contacted 2 places and they are more than happy to accomodate us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staying at the Paramount Hotel. I'll get in contact with Timbers FO to see when tickets will go on sale. At least this should helps us organize a section for anyone travelling down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh nice hotel and excellent location! Super close to the MAX and if the day is nice you can walk to the staudium or even wherever we end up pregame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also the The Nines Hotel is nice. Its a boutique hotel but dead central downtown and across from the square (and if your a lady then across all the shopping)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not going but I know Portland a bit.

If you want to save a bit of dough, there is an above average Holiday Inn at the top of NW 23rd St. This is the north end of a cool neighbourhood (known by the street name, NW 23rd), and you can walk to the game right through the heart of the area (it's a 30-40 minute walk) or take a bus (the number 15) almost from the front door right to the Park.

This hotel is probably half the price of the ones around Pioneer Square, and is as good from a "cool pub nearby" POV (there's a McMenamins almost outside the front door)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking at cheap but decent Hostel (HI) that is only 5 -7 min walk from stadium. Hotel prices + exchange rate is far too much. Did the Hostel thing in Seattle and it was brilliant location next to field and pubs. The Hostels provide double private rooms , usually with breakfast and are basic but clean in a great location. Looking at Sat / Sun stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If you want to save a bit of dough, there is an above average Holiday Inn at the top of NW 23rd St. This is the north end of a cool neighbourhood (known by the street name, NW 23rd), and you can walk to the game right through the heart of the area (it's a 30-40 minute walk) or take a bus (the number 15) almost from the front door right to the Park.

This hotel is probably half the price of the ones around Pioneer Square, and is as good from a "cool pub nearby" POV (there's a McMenamins almost outside the front door)
    True, but not as nice. Also Not many bars along NW 23rd and McMennamins is not cool though its a bar. I am saying as a person who lives 2 blocks behind it lol. NW 21st has a lot more bars and places to get some good food/drinks. But nonetheless, its still a good location and probably cheap. I just mentioned downtown cause how often do you come to Portland right? Might as well stay somewhere nice and be central. Another option is AirBnB as I looked and many options around and pretty good price as well.

End of the day, up to you guys. I just want to play a good host to everyone! Let me know how I can help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramangill View Post
    True, but not as nice. Also Not many bars along NW 23rd and McMennamins is not cool though its a bar. I am saying as a person who lives 2 blocks behind it lol. NW 21st has a lot more bars and places to get some good food/drinks. But nonetheless, its still a good location and probably cheap. I just mentioned downtown cause how often do you come to Portland right? Might as well stay somewhere nice and be central. Another option is AirBnB as I looked and many options around and pretty good price as well.

End of the day, up to you guys. I just want to play a good host to everyone! Let me know how I can help!
    I don't know PDX that well! I defer to Ray.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”