RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Changes For 2016

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...duling-updates

Highlights:

So no more Lampard and Gerrard being injured and playing 90 3 days later.

Another 2 week break in June.

28 teams by 2020? Minnesota, Miami, Sacramento, & ?

And more TAM is coming cause, you know, LAG needs something in exchange for Gerrard having to play an extra midweek game in San Jose.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the 4th team you're thinking of is LAFC. Their inaugural season will be 2017. If I were a betting man, I'd say Miami will be the last of the four clubs to start operations. Things are moving along down in south Florida, but somewhat slowly. Also, is Sacramento confirmed? I recall someone mentioning on here a while back that the league wants LAFC well-established first before considering another team in California.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Highlights:

And more TAM is coming cause, you know, LAG needs something in exchange for Gerrard having to play an extra midweek game in San Jose.
    Thanks for posting this, very interesting. I had forgotten that MLS Live was only a one-year extension. I'm afraid cord cutters like me are going to be screwed starting next season. Perhaps there won't be any way to watch the away games. I suppose I'll be giving my local bartender extra business if that's the case.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Thanks for posting this, very interesting. I had forgotten that MLS Live was only a one-year extension. I'm afraid cord cutters like me are going to be screwed starting next season. Perhaps there won't be any way to watch the away games. I suppose I'll be giving my local bartender extra business if that's the case.
    Where is there mention of MLS Live?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Where is there mention of MLS Live?
    Interesting, I believe there was something about the broadcast & streaming situation in the original article when OgtheDim first posted it...? Now I can't see anything, so I'm not sure. However, I did notice that the date on the article at http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...duling-updates is December 6, 2015, 3:05 PM EST.

OgtheDim's original post, which contained this link, was actually earlier than that: 12-05-2015, 06:24 PM. So maybe MLS edited the article later after posting it...???

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, I believe there was something about the broadcast & streaming situation in the original article when OgtheDim first posted it...? Now I can't see anything, so I'm not sure. However, I did notice that the date on the article at http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...duling-updates is December 6, 2015, 3:05 PM EST.

OgtheDim's original post, which contained this link, was actually earlier than that: 12-05-2015, 06:24 PM. So maybe MLS edited the article later after posting it...???
    The article I posted was put out by a Philly based soccer reporter who analyses the game as a whole.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quite possible.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was already counting LAFC and Atlanta.

Sacremento has big money, lots of corporate support, a fan base and a SSS deal in place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlights:

Surprised there was no mention in that article about potential changes to the timing of the start and finish of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlights:

I think I saw something on Twitter about a Canadian market as team 28, Calgary mentioned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think I saw something on Twitter about a Canadian market as team 28, Calgary mentioned
    no chance for calgary, it has really struggled to support teams in the past at other levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having 28 teams is madness, once the expansion money goes poof what then? Incredibly ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Having 28 teams is madness, once the expansion money goes poof what then? Incredibly ridiculous.
    Completely agree. Without a major overhaul in the salary structure the talent quality will be diluted to shit.

They might want to look at the NHL's experience as well. Just because you can drop franchises on a map that theoretically allows for a better TV deal doesn't mean anyone wants to watch your product.

The state of the game in North America today by no means justifies the number of teams they are proposing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Completely agree. Without a major overhaul in the salary structure the talent quality will be diluted to shit.

They might want to look at the NHL's experience as well. Just because you can drop franchises on a map that theoretically allows for a better TV deal doesn't mean anyone wants to watch your product.

The state of the game in North America today by no means justifies the number of teams they are proposing.

Then you're really going to hate it when there's 32 teams because that's where the league is going (minimum) and the salary budget will radically change.

And to Richard: The expansion money has nothing to do with the day-to-day operations of MLS. The fees go to the owners because as new teams enter it dilutes the current owners' share.

I think it's funny reading all the negative comments on expansion on a site of an expansion team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post

I think it's funny reading all the negative comments on expansion on a site of an expansion team.
    Eventually you have to stop. What's so funny?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Talent quality

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

This is soccer (football) where almost every country on the planet plays the sport. A little scouting and there are more than enough quality players to fill up 28 teams. This is not American football, baseball or hockey where there is a shortage of talent because only a handful of countries play the sport and 40+ year old are still playing. The funny thing is that the haters call MLS a retirement league but their sport has many more retirement aged players. This is fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Garber stated that there would be no further MLS expansion into Canada, otherwise I think Ottawa would be up there for discussion.

I'm thinking that after Miami and LAFC, the next teams in order would be Sacremento and San Antonio. I'm pretty sure they want another southern team in either Charlotte or Nashville to make a rival for Atlanta. Which leaves St Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, Cincinnati, and whatever other teams want that last spot. If there are enough teams fighting for that last spot, I could easily see MLS announcing plans for expansion to 32 teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really don't like the expansion idea. The only way this works and the quality remains good is if the salary cap is at least tripled. NHL is a perfect example of a diluted talent pool with too many teams and too long of a season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There has been a lot of chatter about a salary cap increase coming. TAM is in essence a salary cap increase. But, to me the bigger way to drive quality of players is through the academy systems and USL.

There is talk of 4 divisions of 7 each with the top 2 in each division getting a playoff spot while the next 4 in each conference get into the playoffs. You'd play each team in your division 2 times (12 games) and each other team in the league once (21). That's a manageable season but it will cut down on rivalries.

I think they would split the east this way

NER, NYCFC, NYRB, DCU, Toronto, Montreal, Philly

Columbus, Chicago, Minnesota, RSL, Colorado, SKC, (expansion team)

Miami, Orlando, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, (expansion team), (expansion team)

Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, LAG, LAFC, Sacramento, San Jose

Of course MLS will go where the money is for the expansion teams so this could be tweaked.

I expect the 25th team to be Sacramento. The other 3 will be be whichever town has a lot of corporate support and a big money backer. In this economic climate, no way that's any Canadian team.

Indy, San Antonio & one of St. Louis or Cincy or North Carolina.

But, Indy, San Antonio & North Carolina would fit well into that system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect the 25th team to be Sacramento. The other 3 will be be whichever town has a lot of corporate support and a big money backer. In this economic climate, no way that's any Canadian team.

Indy, San Antonio & one of St. Louis or Cincy or North Carolina.

But, Indy, San Antonio & North Carolina would fit well into that system.
    I expect four 7-team divisions, but i think they'll increase the number of games to 38 per season, with home and away games played against in-division teams and 5 of 7 teams in it's sister-division in conference. There would only be alternating home or away series against teams in the opposing conference. There would also be more mid-week games to balance the owners desire for games on weekends for gate receipts and network desires for mid-week games for TV ratings. I think they would look at adding teams in a geographical/time-zone grouping, North to South so that scheduling can take advantage of climates at different times of the year. Such as:

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Atlantic: Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, NYRB, DCU, Philly, (Charlotte/Nashville)
    Northeast: Columbus, Chicago, NER, Toronto, Montreal, NYCFC, (Indianapolis/St Louis/Cincinnati)
    (the reason for splitting up the two NY teams is to make sure that market gets at least one home game from every team in the league once every season)
    WESTERN CONFERENCE:
    Central: RSL, Colorado, Houston, Dallas, SKC, Minnesota, (San Antonio/St Louis)
    Pacific: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, LAG, LAFC, Sacramento, San Jose

They would then break these groups up into eight 4-team divisions when they expand to 32 teams and schedule intra-conference games by shuffling divsions annually, like they do in the NFL without needing to add additional games to make the numbers work out better.
    Last edited by Initial B; 12-07-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I expect four 7-team divisions, but i think they'll increase the number of games to 38 per season, with home and away games played against in-division teams and 5 of 7 teams in it's sister-division in conference. There would only be alternating home or away series against teams in the opposing conference. There would also be more mid-week games to balance the owners desire for games on weekends for gate receipts and network desires for mid-week games for TV ratings. I think they would look at adding teams in a geographical/time-zone grouping, North to South so that scheduling can take advantage of climates at different times of the year. Such as:

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Atlantic: Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, NYRB, DCU, Philly, (Charlotte/Nashville)
    Northeast: Columbus, Chicago, NER, Toronto, Montreal, NYCFC, (Indianapolis/St Louis/Cincinnati)
    (the reason for splitting up the two NY teams is to make sure that market gets at least one home game from every team in the league once every season)
    WESTERN CONFERENCE:
    Central: RSL, Colorado, Houston, Dallas, SKC, Minnesota, (San Antonio/St Louis)
    Pacific: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, LAG, LAFC, Sacramento, San Jose

They would then break these groups up into eight 4-team divisions when they expand to 32 teams and schedule intra-conference games by shuffling divsions annually, like they do in the NFL without needing to add additional games to make the numbers work out better.
    I think if it got to 30 or more clubs just make it simple, 1 League table for East and 1 League table for the West. East Division play East teams 1 home/1 Away. West teams play each other 1 Home/ 1 Away. Example :

East League
    .............................GP..........PTS
    1) **Toronto.......... 30..........68
    2) *NYRB.................30..........59
    3) *DC United...........30..........55
    4) *Columbus...........30..........54
    5) * Kansas City.......30..........52
    6) * Montreal...........30..........50
    7) Philadelphia..........30...........49
    8) NYC....................30...........47
    9) Orlando...............30...........45
    10) Atlanta..............30...........43
    11) New England.......30...........41
    12) Chicago..............30...........38
    13) Miami..................30..........38
    14) St.Louis..............30...........35
    15) Cinncinati............30...........31
    16) Ottawa...............30............28

** League Champions
    * Playoff Birth

West League

...............................GP...............PT S
    1)** Portland.............28...............60
    2) * Seattle...............28...............57
    3) *Vancouver............28...............55
    4) * LA Galaxy.............28...............53
    5) * Dallas..................28...............53
    6) * San Jose.............28................50
    7) Houston..................28...............49
    8) San Antonio.............28...............46
    9) Colorado.................28...............46
    10) Minnesota.............28................43
    11) RSL......................28................39
    12) LA 2......................28...............36
    13) Edmonton...............28...............33
    14) Sacramneto............28................31
    15) San Diego...............28................28

** League Champions
    * Playoff Birth Spot

Playoffs=
    1st place and 2nd place East teams get a bye
    1st place and 2nd place West teams get a bye.

3rd East vs 6th West
    4th East vs 5th West
    3rd West vs 6th East
    4th West vs 5th East

and playoffs continue from there forward exc. in which after the 1st round East teams can play East teams and west teams can play West teams after the first round of playoffs depending on the draws. (OR just have East play East and West play West all the way until the MLS CUp final)

Season East and West Clubs do not play each other. However Concacaf Champions League, US Open Cup and MLS playoffs West and East teams can play each other depending on what draw they get.

This would make the League format way less confusing and a more balanced schedule. Even if you had 15 clubs in West and 16 in the East it would not matter as they are competing during the season in different League tables. It would create the single league table we all want with a home and away schedule (Relegation/promotion will not happen in MLS). It creates less costs on taveling from east cost to west coast and it creates an even table unlike the confusing North East, North West, Central exc divisions where some teams play each other 2 times, others 1 time while other teams they don't play at all.

This also balances the amount of season games played well. MLS has a very busy schedule with Euro and World Cups. Concacaf Champions League, US Open Cup and MLS Playoff games. And then you have cities with awful winters. It really makes the ideal amount of season games played probably between 28-34 games. 30-32 being best options. And it maintains a simple League table, home and away.

The only thing I could see MLS reject such a simple format as this is they would not have a season LA vs NY game that they seem to crave for because they are the 2 biggest markets in the country even tho reality can be more people might watch Seattle vs Portland or Toronto vs Montreal then this imaginary LA/NY high ratings market Derby, or the fact that say LA Galaxy was to get another Beckham player, what if he couldn't play teams in the East during the schedule??? me personally I wouldn't care. This would just be more simple.
    Last edited by james; 12-09-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like how fast the league is growing in Club numbers. To begin with you never see more then 24 teams in 1 division (in the UK they have Championship, League 1 and League 2 all have 24 clubs, at least that is the most I have ever herd of in 1 division, all other countries I have herd of 20,18,16,12 and 10 clubs). But more worry is just teams are not having much time to grow, to much clubs entering at to fast of a rate and that dilutes the league quality. Also I really think clubs should "HAVE TO" have a specific Soccer stadium under construction before they can enter the league. I hate how it looks in NY right now, emberasing playing at the oddly shaped Yankee stadium, and when are they actually going to get there own stadium? will they ever? Or Vancouver (it looks ok but a 20k stadium would be better) and even Seattle Sounders ( great fans, stadium looks decent, but still to big, and more importantly the Seahawks are still the main tenants, Sounders even played on a NFL covered grid iron field just a couple months back ). Slow down the league, slowly add teams if you must, make sure the team has the proper stadium in line before jumping the gun and adding more teams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is room for 128 clubs at MLS' talent level.

But if we have to win a 28 team league, it'll be 128 years I fear before we hoist the cup.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-07-2015 at 07:51 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it going to be standard now that the ball is not out of play unless it is kicked into the crowd and no one can get to it quick enough to score while the opposing team wait to take a throw in !! :@)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate this the most:

• New policy for All-Star players unable to compete in game - If a player is unable to play in the AT&T MLS All-Star Game, that player will be prohibited from playing in his next MLS match. In the event a player is declared medically fit for his match immediately following the All-Star Game, he will be precluded from playing in such match, but will receive "credit" for playing in such match for bonuses and option triggers.

So Seba this year would need to skip a vital match after the break. Not liking that idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    I hate this the most:

• New policy for All-Star players unable to compete in game - If a player is unable to play in the AT&T MLS All-Star Game, that player will be prohibited from playing in his next MLS match. In the event a player is declared medically fit for his match immediately following the All-Star Game, he will be precluded from playing in such match, but will receive "credit" for playing in such match for bonuses and option triggers.

So Seba this year would need to skip a vital match after the break. Not liking that idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell is that!

there has to be labour laws for this, how can this possibly fly through the players union as okay?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    I hate this the most:

He did. He didn't play vs Seattle.
    But I agree, this is stupid... Are players contractually obligated to play the all star game if chosen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Real rotten rule. Garber during the Cup HT show says: "If a player is injured, then he's injured." Thanks Doc. Apparently he's never heard of players picking up slight knocks. If players are trying that hard to avoid the all-star game then maybe that is saying something. The league shouldn't just extort its best players. But then again, MLS owns the contracts so they can get away with it. Poor form though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lampard and Gerrard were picked by Garber.

They both baled and then played.

Garber don't like being stood up.

New rule.