Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Well that's pretty damning. There's plenty of talk in here about future league expansion and creative salary changes in a young league that has a diverse fan base.

Apparently I need to be even more more moderate in my phrasing.

ProRel may be more interesting to some here yet that has little bearing on how the league is run next year or the near future.

I'm glad you at least showed the 2 differing opinions on this subject (that isn't really what the thread topic is about but seems to be bandied about this time of year).

I wish you'd show the courtesy of refraining from taking very few posts to paint with such a large brush.

And yes we should get back to new rules
    Okay, point taken. As I said, I didn't want to go back to this discussion from previous (every ) years. The off-hand comments about "NA fans" happen in a lot of discussion and I find it symbolic (mataphoric?) of the larger issue of the future of MLS. I understand it's human nature, I'm pretty sure three weeks after my ancestors got here they said, "Well, sure, the potato crop is doing fine here but these people have no idea how to cook them." But it gets a little tiring to be called stupid and the root of the problem all the time (of course, #notallcomments).

you're right, of course, we should get back to new rules. I won't derail the thread again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are pro/rel supporters on twitter that make any discussion of it toxic. Any journo who discusses it in the States gets twitter bombed.

I am proud to say that Ted Westervelt doesn't think I exist.

Yes, back to the subject.

So, anybody got any opinion on the possibility of replay judged calls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The replay would have to be within 10 seconds of the infraction, otherwise play would be too slowed down.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    New DCU crest.

Are you kidding me?! Man, that is a nice tight crest. I like it! Not perfect, but much better than before.

Now all we need is New England to get with the program...
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Interesting, I believe there was something about the broadcast & streaming situation in the original article when OgtheDim first posted it...? Now I can't see anything, so I'm not sure. However, I did notice that the date on the article at http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...duling-updates is December 6, 2015, 3:05 PM EST.

OgtheDim's original post, which contained this link, was actually earlier than that: 12-05-2015, 06:24 PM. So maybe MLS edited the article later after posting it...???
    Quite possible.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the benefit of Pro/Rel for fans?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    What is the benefit of Pro/Rel for fans?
    Inclusivity. There's no reason any team in MLS is inherently more deserving of top division football then a well run club with a good fan base from a smaller, more regional city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Inclusivity. There's no reason any team in MLS is inherently more deserving of top division football then a well run club with a good fan base from a smaller, more regional city.
    What about the multi million dollar buy in for newer teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavierMartini View Post
    What about the multi million dollar buy in for newer teams.
    That's the buy in to start at the top.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give you 2 reasons:

MLS only expands where

a) there is ownership committed to investment
    b) a known fan base with the potential to reach a certain level in the first season and sustain that level
    c) local corporate sponsorship potential

That's why Rochester, no matter how well run, will never get into MLS. There isn't the financial resources locally to support a team to be competitive and to be able to afford the costs of competing in a continental league.f

Secondly, this is a continental league. Unless you are a league based on Oligarchs and local governors who skim off the people (see Russia), then you are not dealing with the costs that a team competing in a league run across 4 time zones requires.

My family comes from a town at the end of the longest cul-de-sac in England. And people in that country complain about having to drive 45 minutes to get to that end of that cul-de-sac to watch a match and this drives down corporate support and player willingness to play in that town.

The ride from Yankee Stadium to Red Bull Arena is slightly longer then 45 minutes. And that's the shortest time between arena's in this league.

Pro Rel was set up in a different world that is simply unsustainable in North America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'll give you 2 reasons:

MLS only expands where

a) there is ownership committed to investment
    b) a known fan base with the potential to reach a certain level in the first season and sustain that level
    c) local corporate sponsorship potential

That's why Rochester, no matter how well run, will never get into MLS. There isn't the financial resources locally to support a team to be competitive and to be able to afford the costs of competing in a continental league.f

Secondly, this is a continental league. Unless you are a league based on Oligarchs and local governors who skim off the people (see Russia), then you are not dealing with the costs that a team competing in a league run across 4 time zones requires.

My family comes from a town at the end of the longest cul-de-sac in England. And people in that country complain about having to drive 45 minutes to get to that end of that cul-de-sac to watch a match and this drives down corporate support and player willingness to play in that town.

The ride from Yankee Stadium to Red Bull Arena is slightly longer then 45 minutes. And that's the shortest time between arena's in this league.

Pro Rel was set up in a different world that is simply unsustainable in North America.
    I think those are all great points. Don't disagree with any of them.

I think pro/rel is a long way down the road if it's there at all. Was just pointing out that there is an obvious value to it for fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS Cup for next season is scheduled to be held in early December, with playoffs scheduled for the month of November.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...-you-need-know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    The MLS Cup for next season is scheduled to be held in early December, with playoffs scheduled for the month of November.

Hopefully it means that MLS will schedule games around FIFA international dates so we don't lose some of our players for few games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post

Wow I thought they would be done earlier next season. How the hell do they know that there won't be scheduling conflicts between possible TFC & Argos playoff dates? Considering that "scheduling conflicts" mean something different on a grass field, than on plastic.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I thought they would be done earlier next season. How the hell do they know that there won't be scheduling conflicts between possible TFC & Argos playoff dates? Considering that "scheduling conflicts" mean something different on a grass field, than on plastic.
    The league doesn't revolve around TFC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Hopefully it means that MLS will schedule games around FIFA international dates so we don't lose some of our players for few games.
    I doubt it. MLS is already taking a break for Copa America
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    +1

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    For sure I know it doesn't, why would it?! With "they" I meant MLSE, not the league. In the fall there were some hints that MLS scheduling would change. There were some people guessing on this board, and elsewhere, that MLS might finish earlier (for other reasons), and that would help with TFC/Argos playoff scheduling.

For a couple of years, I've found the end of the MLS playoffs horribly drawn out, and it kills interest in the final games. Plus the weather in late November/early December is very iffy in many locations, especially now that the final goes to the highest-seeded team.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-03-2016 at 04:52 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure I know it doesn't, why would it?! With "they" I meant MLSE, not the league. In the fall there were some hints that MLS scheduling would change. There were some people guessing on this board, and elsewhere, that MLS might finish earlier (for other reasons), and that would help with TFC/Argos playoff scheduling.

For a couple of years, I've found the end of the MLS playoffs horribly drawn out, and it kills interest in the final games. Plus the weather in late November/early December is very iffy in many locations, especially now that the final goes to the highest-seeded team.
    I know there was no blizzard in early Dec, but freaking Columbus sold out their stadium for MLS Cup final.
    Personally, I found this year's playoffs most compelling than some of previous seasons. Then again, I am a MLS nerd

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the Grey Cup is Sunday Nov. 27th. and the MLS Cup is Dec.4th., so what happens if TFC is scheduled to play a home playoff game the same weekend as the Grey Cup, moreover, they win that game and play in the MLS Cup at home the following weekend Dec.4th. Imagine if the field is ripped up after the Grey Cup and especially after a season long of CFL and MLS on the grass field, would not be a good look having the MLS marquee game played on a ripped up field with faded football markings. I know this is a stretch but it could happen, the one that I would be more curious about is where would TFC play that semi final game if it's at home the same weekend of the Grey Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    So the Grey Cup is Sunday Nov. 27th. and the MLS Cup is Dec.4th., so what happens if TFC is scheduled to play a home playoff game the same weekend as the Grey Cup, moreover, they win that game and play in the MLS Cup at home the following weekend Dec.4th. Imagine if the field is ripped up after the Grey Cup and especially after a season long of CFL and MLS on the grass field, would not be a good look having the MLS marquee game played on a ripped up field with faded football markings. I know this is a stretch but it could happen, the one that I would be more curious about is where would TFC play that semi final game if it's at home the same weekend of the Grey Cup.
    Probably Rogers Centre. I don't think Blue Jays will be using Rogers Centre end of November.

Also, I wouldn't be surprise if TFC play MLS cup final at Rogers Centre instead of BMO field to get a bigger crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I wouldn't be surprise if TFC play MLS cup final at Rogers Centre instead of BMO field to get a bigger crowd.
    I don't think many here would be happy about that. I think it's more likely that they bring in temporary stands to expand capacity if we're playing late into the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think many here would be happy about that. I think it's more likely that they bring in temporary stands to expand capacity if we're playing late into the playoffs.
    What if turf isn't in playable conditions? I highly doubt there's enough time to fix turf after Grey Cup game to get it right for MLS Cup final especially if weather is bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably Rogers Centre. I don't think Blue Jays will be using Rogers Centre end of November.

Shouldn't the Argos game be moved to the Rogers Centre since TFC is the primary tenant

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    Shouldn't the Argos game be moved to the Rogers Centre since TFC is the primary tenant
    The Grey Cup won't be moved.

More likely a 2nd round of the East final played at home would be played on the Saturday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess MLSE lied about doing their homework!

"And when news of the Grey Cup surfaced Wednesday, TFC fans wondered how the stadium could accommodate two events if Toronto qualifies for next year’s MLS Cup.But MLSE exec Dave Hopkinson says TFC fans needn’t worry. Although Major League Soccer hasn’t yet scheduled its 2016 playoffs Hopkinson says a hypothetical title game in Toronto would take place well before the Grey Cup.

“TFC is the primary tenant,” said Hopkinson, MLSE’s chief commercial officer. “You don’t get this far into the process without having done all your homework, and we’ve done all our homework.”"

The quote was taken from:
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...-calendar.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew my signature would come to good use sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More likely a 2nd round of the East final played at home would be played on the Saturday.
    Do you mean a TFC game on the Saturday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, that would be another "bend over and take it moment"
    Primary tennant uh-huh, sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Are the Argos definitely playing next seasons games at BMO or is just the Grey CuP?