Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy No Streetcars to Exhibition for 2016

http://stevemunro.ca/2015/12/04/ttc-...anuary-3-2016/

Due to construction at the Go Station at the Ex, the streetcar loop into the Ex will be closed all season, except for during the Ex.

Streetcars will be turning back at the Fleet Loop, with shuttle buses from there going into the grounds.

So anybody wanting to go to Bathurst or Union will either be walking to Fleet or waiting for a bunch of buses (and don't be surprised if the TTC doesn't lay on enough shuttle buses for that bit to handle the flow after games)

Well, at least we got one year of being able to take 2 streetcars straight to games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    http://stevemunro.ca/2015/12/04/ttc-...anuary-3-2016/

Due to construction at the Go Station at the Ex, the streetcar loop into the Ex will be closed all season, except for during the Ex.

Streetcars will be turning back at the Fleet Loop, with shuttle buses from there going into the grounds.

So anybody wanting to go to Bathurst or Union will either be walking to Fleet or waiting for a bunch of buses (and don't be surprised if the TTC doesn't lay on enough shuttle buses for that bit to handle the flow after games)

Well, at least we got one year of being able to take 2 streetcars straight to games.
    Should we start a bike group? Red Pedal Boys? We can talk to FO and make sure they have enough racks for parking and start a cycling revolution!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Should we start a bike group? Red Pedal Boys? We can talk to FO and make sure they have enough racks for parking and start a cycling revolution!
    No joke, if we could somehow convince them to put in more bike racks, it would be a huge & easy help. For lots of people within Toronto like me, bike is the easiest way to get to & from the games -- by far. You see us trying to lock the bikes all over the place at BMO: gates, trees, light posts, construction fences etc. I just bought a new bike after my old one got stolen. No way I can continue locking it up as badly at TFC games as I did with my old one.

If more of us could take a bike & safely lock up, it would free up more capacity for people less mobile, or from farther away, who need to drive or take transit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    No joke, if we could somehow convince them to put in more bike racks, it would be a huge & easy help. For lots of people within Toronto like me, bike is the easiest way to get to & from the games -- by far. You see us trying to lock the bikes all over the place at BMO: gates, trees, light posts, construction fences etc. I just bought a new bike after my old one got stolen. No way I can continue locking it up as badly at TFC games as I did with my old one.

If more of us could take a bike & safely lock up, it would free up more capacity for people less mobile, or from farther away, who need to drive or take transit.

I've had to lock my bike up to the gate along the south end. More racks would be nice, but I think that's a city thing. no?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I've had to lock my bike up to the gate along the south end. More racks would be nice, but I think that's a city thing. no?
    Normally you can get the City to put in the post & ring things wherever you ask on city sidewalks. However this is within the Ex and not normal public city land, would have to be a special arrangement. Plus larger racks are usually installed by property owners. I'm sure something is doable if somebody made it a priority, specially as part of the current stadium reno/upgrade. There's tons of dead space around BMO where this could be done w/o a hassle to anyone.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally you can get the City to put in the post & ring things wherever you ask on city sidewalks. However this is within the Ex and not normal public city land, would have to be a special arrangement. Plus larger racks are usually installed by property owners. I'm sure something is doable if somebody made it a priority, specially as part of the current stadium reno/upgrade. There's tons of dead space around BMO where this could be done w/o a hassle to anyone.

During and after construction this past season there was a shortage. Mid season there were only the rings and rack at the GO station but by August they had the racks back in the South. I don't take issue with the amount of spots as much as the racks needed to be drilled into the ground. Remind me after the first home game and I'll make the phone call to whomever to make sure we are taken care of on our self powered 2 wheels. If it isn't taken care of already.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea. I would like MLSE to erect a fenced-in secure bike station, within the stadium. Would they remove a consession or two to make rhis happen?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Good idea. I would like MLSE to erect a fenced-in secure bike station, within the stadium. Would they remove a consession or two to make rhis happen?
    Well that's possible. But even easier, there's lots of unused land, around the Food Building & elsewhere, that would be good for a bunch of bike racks or ring & posts. I'm not asking for much.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    What are you riding to the match? A gold plated Pinarello?

When they finally put the bike racks back in last end-of-summer they were never full 10 mins from kickoff. I check even if I park around Joe's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When they finally put the bike racks back in last end-of-summer they were never full 10 mins from kickoff. I check even if I park around Joe's.
    No, but i do ride an $2k road bike often from Mississauga to Toronto, would love to lock it up securely for game day. A bike station like at city hall mississauga or like the one in Toronot would really be beneficial

Pan am games had a sort of bike Valet / parking service at some of the locations. That was service!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stadium is too far for most people to ride their beaters, and only a dimwit would risk locking an expensive bike around that place, at any time. The few times I did that, I spent more time checking my bike, than watching the game....but alas, back in the early days, that was often the most exciting part of the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which racks are those, near the Ex GO station?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO/ the Ex should really put in a bike station like Mississauga city centre has. I think toronto city hall has it too. paid Showers, enclosed bike spots, security cams, lockers and a tune up station

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    BMO/ the Ex should really put in a bike station like Mississauga city centre has. I think toronto city hall has it too. paid Showers, enclosed bike spots, security cams, lockers and a tune up station
    You got my vote. It makes sense even outside a TFC mindset.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty crappy about the streetcars. Always gotta keep the 'hassle quota' up.

Red Pedal Boys? amazing. Surprised you haven't started that already

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFizik View Post
    Pretty crappy about the streetcars. Always gotta keep the 'hassle quota' up.
    Yeah, that sucks. One alternative is the Ossington bus from Liberty/Atlantic to Ossington station. It's faster than the Bathurst streetcar to Bathurst station - but it can't handle the same number of people. But after a decade, few seem to take it, and it remains the best kept secret on how to take TTC away from BMO Field after a game.

Also, it's not that bad of a walk to the King streetcar at King/Atlantic (certainly faster than walking to Fleet loop!). There's the Dufferin bus. And sometime next year, with any luck they'll add the new 514 streetcar from Dufferin Loop, that runs along King to Cherry Loop.

Personally, I'll be taking GO. Shame with the streetcar missing, they don't offer free GO rides with a TTC transfer, between Union and Exhibition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UBER FC anyone?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MotherF#%^@#s , not again. In season 8 the shuttle buses were torture. I got off and walked most of the time.

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would imagine the best alternatives are the king street car to shoeless or taking transit to union and hoping on the lakeshore west like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all the more reason for subways, subways, subways.

or smart track, that would actually fix this problem

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This city/Province never cease to amaze me.

Now, there is a proposed tax on HOV lanes… for the privilege of driving on roads already paid for with tax dollars and with gasoline taxes… and I'm supposed to be able to take transit… which isn't available… as an alternative.

Fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re HOV lanes, oh c'mon. It's not a tax. Nobody is forced to pay it. If you wish to pay extra for the opportunity of utilizing the HOV / HOT lanes, that is totally up to you. If you want to pay it, knock yourself out.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Re HOV lanes, oh c'mon. It's not a tax. Nobody is forced to pay it. If you wish to pay extra for the opportunity of utilizing the HOV / HOT lanes, that is totally up to you. If you want to pay it, knock yourself out.
    It's a lane on the road that we already paid for by taxes and ongoing gas and other taxes that is being singled out and charged a premium to drive in it. Yes, it's a cash grab that will have no impact on traffic flow.

And it's an ill advised cash grab in that the toll will be self reported so I guess we will devote policing resources to this. Good use of their time there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It's a lane on the road that we already paid for by taxes and ongoing gas and other taxes that is being singled out and charged a premium to drive in it. Yes, it's a cash grab that will have no impact on traffic flow.

And it's an ill advised cash grab in that the toll will be self reported so I guess we will devote policing resources to this. Good use of their time there.
    It may or it may not have an effect on traffic flow, that remains to be seen which is why there is a trail run on one short stretch of highway.

Call it a cash grab if you like but it's optional. It's not a tax as was previously implied. You only pay it if you choose to!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, there is a proposed tax on HOV lanes… for the privilege of driving on roads already paid for with tax dollars and with gasoline taxes… and I'm supposed to be able to take transit… which isn't available… as an alternative.
    There's still replacement buses; and it a short walk from Fleet Loop to Princess Gates. And there's buses to Dufferin loop (and even streetcars, when the 514 service starts). And it's a short walk to the Ossington bus, or even the King streetcar. And there's also a GO Train that takes only 6-7 minutes to Union.

I'll be there frequently next season and I've only driven once in 10 years.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I broke another spoke on the weekend. It cost me almost $2 to replace.

(We're talking about transportation woes, right?)

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ think about it from the perspective of carpooling.

If the HOV lane is meant to encourage carpoolers, what is the impact of a toll on the HOV lane for those already carpooling?

if I take 2-3 people to work already and use existing HOV lanes where available right now, why should Inpay a premium to drive the same lane? Most likely, I am going to say screw it and drive the non toll lane and force congestion into that.

Ive got my UK Osyter card. I've toured England without renting a car or taking a black cab thanks to the BritRail pass. A well connected transit system is awesome. But we don't have one here. The perception that drivers are gas guzzling, SUV drivers burning money and not caring about the environment is just wrong.

Quite a lot of people live in bedroom communities to be able to afford a mortgage and have no convenient transit option. Eg. To get from a place like Barrie to Mississauga is an hour by car or 3.5 hrs by TTC. To throw a tax on a single lane within a public highway, that is already set up to reward carpoolers, and then require policing resources to be devoted to it is just ridiculous IMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ think about it from the perspective of carpooling.

If the HOV lane is meant to encourage carpoolers, what is the impact of a toll on the HOV lane for those already carpooling?

if I take 2-3 people to work already and use existing HOV lanes where available right now, why should Inpay a premium to drive the same lane? Most likely, I am going to say screw it and drive the non toll lane and force congestion into that.

Ive got my UK Osyter card. I've toured England without renting a car or taking a black cab thanks to the BritRail pass. A well connected transit system is awesome. But we don't have one here. The perception that drivers are gas guzzling, SUV drivers burning money and not caring about the environment is just wrong.

Quite a lot of people live in bedroom communities to be able to afford a mortgage and have no convenient transit option. Eg. To get from a place like Barrie to Mississauga is an hour by car or 3.5 hrs by TTC. To throw a tax on a single lane within a public highway, that is already set up to reward carpoolers, and then require policing resources to be devoted to it is just ridiculous IMO.
    Bottom line, if I'm willing to pay for something and you aren't, I should be able to get to my destination before you do.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
    Bottom line, if I'm willing to pay for something and you aren't, I should be able to get to my destination before you do.
    Not that I disagree but, dude, 3 months ago? Well at least you quoted Pook.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really want to get into discussing general transportation policy here?

The HOT lanes will still be free for carpoolers. Why should there be extra policing requirements for HOT lanes compared with regular HOV lanes? In any case, it might be interesting to hear about the implementation details before passing judgement on them.

Single-occupant vehicles will have a choice to pay extra to use the HOT lanes. Generally, they would be priced so the traffic in that lane will remain free-flowing, to avoid discouraging HOV'ers (who can still travel for free, as mentioned).

Unlike many of the temporary PanAm HOV lanes, HOV and HOT lanes in Ontario are generally not converted general traffic lanes, they are additional lanes. Therefore it's hard to say "they've already been paid for by tax dollars." And existing commuters won't really be disadvantaged by them as a result.

HOT lanes have a ton of research behind them, and are in place in many jurisdictions. There is lots to read about if one is interested. Plus if we don't raise funds, how will we ever improve transit significantly? Anyway, the GTA has started with the largest transit expansion in at least a generation. The GO Transit train improvements that are planned are good examples. It's only a start, but at least it's that.