Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 2556
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe they should keep it there and protect my seats from the wind at my back. The south end roof was already a joke for coverage and now it will look even stranger. Whatever. I honestly don't care what they do. None of the stadium changes has made any difference to my seats on game day. Keeping a strong wind off my back may actually do something different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Maybe they should keep it there and protect my seats from the wind at my back. The south end roof was already a joke for coverage and now it will look even stranger. Whatever. I honestly don't care what they do. None of the stadium changes has made any difference to my seats on game day. Keeping a strong wind off my back may actually do something different.
    ... Or you could repurpose that large carnival tifo, put it behind the sections as a wind break!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is another pic. Credit goes to @aeKirts on twitter!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what there is within this pic to be so celebratory about. A bunch of scaffolding that might not even need seats placed on it until late December sitting almost beneath one of the modern world's most useless stadium architectural features - The Canopy of Irrelevance.

Hard to imagine a more poorly designed or more utterly non-functional feature in any modern sports venue. What a waste of hype, steel and CAD-CAM resources.

Once, there was a time when such structures had form and function. For exhibit A, I give you Jim Hall's Chapparal

For exhibit B, I give you Bobby Isaac's Dodge Daytona:

Lord forquing knows what the south end canopy is supposed to represent.

Any idea what the stimp reading was from the greenskeeper's measurements?
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 10-22-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure they will lower that roof after the Grey Cup fails to create a more proper supporters end.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Pretty sure they will lower that roof after the Grey Cup fails to create a more proper supporters end.
    Doubtful - they used a couple of cranes brought in from Europe via boat to lift it up. Its stuck there.

South end looks fine - the canopy keeps some noise in.

And if they want to expand TFC crowds with those really bad sight lines, well, can't be any worse then the top of 211 or 203. Or at the corners of the 500 level at Skydome.

If/when they make those seats semi permanent, those tickets will go cheap. They could do a family zone and also put the groups up there.

Give it 5 years - worst MLS crowd this season was 22K. Lets see what happens today but that's up significantly from the past. If the trajectory keeps going, the place will be full every game in 3 seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on that canopy looks weird you know it and I know it, the only way it makes any sense if they put in permanent seats that go up to the ceiling of the canopy but not the way they built up those temporary seats now, if they put in permanent seats in the south end the way they put in those temporary ones then that would still look strange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hearing they are also putting temporary seating in the north open area of the stadium for the hockey outdoor game but not for the Grey Cup because they need that open space for the end zone.However, if TFC were to make it to the MLS Cup and host it I'm wondering if they would put the temporary stands in the north end sooner and sell them for the MLS CUP and just leave them there for the outdoor hockey game. If that happened we would finally see what a fully enclosed BMO would be and feel like for soccer and for a TFC game and of course the championship final with TFC in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though this may be off topic, on the official promo for the Centennial Classic it says the stadium is 'Exhibition Statdium". Could this be a name change due to sponsorship issues or can it be a permanent name change since this takes place in 2017 also the year BMO'S contract ends with TFC and the stadium itself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    Even though this may be off topic, on the official promo for the Centennial Classic it says the stadium is 'Exhibition Statdium". Could this be a name change due to sponsorship issues or can it be a permanent name change since this takes place in 2017 also the year BMO'S contract ends with TFC and the stadium itself.
    Since the Centennial Classic is a NHL event it likely has to do not being a corporate sponsor. Along the same lines as the PanAm games, U20 World Cup etc.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Since the Centennial Classic is a NHL event it likely has to do not being a corporate sponsor. Along the same lines as the PanAm games, U20 World Cup etc.
    because its the scotiabank centennial outdoor game??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    bmo extended for another 10 years, matching term of the 20yr deal MLSE has with the city. it was a little after the argos deal happened. Haven't seen anything on direct club sponsorship other than talk that BMO is moving most of their sponsorship $ to raptors and speculation on here that when MLSE couldn't find a shirt sponsor last year that BMO came back for a free year. The leafs have a conflicting bank sponsor .. scotiabank IIRC
    Last edited by Onyx; 11-14-2016 at 12:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's so stupid. I want to hold an event at the Air Canada Centre just to ask them to rename it for the event.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Naw, that is where the rigging goes, the TIFOs hang directly off of that when we're able to raise them. All the motors and so forth are up there. That is likely the only purpose for it - it does hold SOME sound in, but not a lot.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch the videos again when the south canopy was nstalled. It isnt going anywhere soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, we don't have a paying sponsor for our shirts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC confirm that tickets for the temp stand will go on sale to the public next Tuesday. Kurt Larson states that season ticket holders get first dibs this Friday. Majority of tickets at $55 with a few at $45 due to slight site obstruction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    TFC confirm that tickets for the temp stand will go on sale to the public next Tuesday. Kurt Larson states that season ticket holders get first dibs this Friday. Majority of tickets at $55 with a few at $45 due to slight site obstruction.
    Surprised -that is kinda cutting it close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    ...Once, there was a time when such structures had form and function. For exhibit A, I give you Jim Hall's Chapparal
    Not all of his Chaparrals looked good and worked well.
    Last edited by Heepster; 11-23-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That one was Surtees' fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    That one was Surtees' fault.
    He was hired to try to drive it, but he did not design and build it.
    Last edited by Heepster; 11-24-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heepster View Post
    He was hired to try to drive it, but he did not design and build it.
    Surtees demanded to sit higher in the car rather than low, because he didn't trust the sight lines provided by the windshield and the side blanks. It unbalanced the car, forced significant changes to the structure, and killed the aerodynamics. The car was an experiment in low frontal area (narrow and low) and the changes basically invalidated the base principles being explored.

http://www.thechaparralfiles.com/2h_mystery.php

I loved Big John but he was the wrong choice for Jim's experiment.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys have clearly taken my whimsical take and driven this thread well off course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you saying late 1960s Can-Am racing has nothing to do with BMO Field construction?
    I suppose not much. Roger Penske may have to start taking his racing team to Mosport again if no one wants to pay to repave the streets of Exhibition Place when the existing IndyCar race contract expires after the 2017 race.
    http://racingnorth.ca/2016/07/18/is-...s-expiry-date/
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/raceline...-pave-promote/

But getting back to BMO Field -- are those scaffolding seats definitely being taken down after the outdoor hockey game in January, or is there any chance they could leave them there for TFC home-opener in March?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you saying late 1960s Can-Am racing has nothing to do with BMO Field construction?
    I suppose not much. Roger Penske may have to start taking his racing team to Mosport again if no one wants to pay to repave the streets of Exhibition Place when the existing IndyCar race contract expires after the 2017 race.
    One thing we want to avoid is running the race track *through* BMO, though, like they do through the baseball stadium at Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But getting back to BMO Field -- are those scaffolding seats definitely being taken down after the outdoor hockey game in January, or is there any chance they could leave them there for TFC home-opener in March?
    I think they will be taken down for sure. Looks ok from the pitch but looking at the ugly scaffolding mess on the outside of the stadium to keep it there I don't see how that would be wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    One thing we want to avoid is running the race track *through* BMO, though, like they do through the baseball stadium at Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez...
    Hey -- don't give them any ideas!
    It was before my time, but apparently in 1968 John F. Bassett proposed CNE street races for F1 and IndyCars with the layout actually running in front of the CNE Grandstand. Similarly in 1977 Labatt wanted to move the F1 race from Mosport to there, but by then the baseball part of Exhibition Stadium had been built and their proposal had largely the same layout except it ran behind the Grandstand.
    Through the 1990s, when Exhibition Stadium was largely unused before eventually being demolished, I always wondered why they did not consider tearing down some or all of the baseball part of it and rerouting the Indy track in front of the Grandstand, perhaps avoiding the need to build about 20,000 temporary seats every year.
    Last edited by Heepster; 11-27-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So glad I didn't opt for a South End group hang gliding metaphor:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice barf strainer under the people. o_O

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey -- don't give them any ideas!
    It was before my time, but apparently in 1968 John F. Bassett proposed CNE street races for F1 and IndyCars with the layout actually running in front of the CNE Grandstand. Similarly in 1977 Labatt wanted to move the F1 race from Mosport to there, but by then the baseball part of Exhibition Stadium had been built and their proposal had largely the same layout except it ran behind the Grandstand.
    Though the 1990s, when Exhibition Stadium was largely unused before eventually being demolished, I always wondered why they did not consider tearing down some or all of the baseball part of it and rerouting the Indy track in front of the Grandstand, perhaps avoiding the need to build about 20,000 temporary seats every year.
    There were lots of stock car races, and monster truck events, at the Ex when I was a kid.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”