Page 72 of 86 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2556
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Wow. That's praise. I though Rio Tinto would be there for how much I hear its name.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    ^Wow. That's praise. I though Rio Tinto would be there for how much I hear its name.
    I've never been, but it strikes me as a pretty boring, cookie-cutter MLS stadium. Much like Chicago's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RBNY, SJ, KC are all clearly ahead of BMO... hell SJ actually has safe standing for supporters.

Orlando is going to be awesome when it is built so within 2 years we may be borderline 5th in MLS while giving up the title of soccer specific.

Congrats TL at least it worked out better than KC's hockey arena.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    RBNY, SJ, KC are all clearly ahead of BMO... hell SJ actually has safe standing for supporters.

Orlando is going to be awesome when it is built so within 2 years we may be borderline 5th in MLS while giving up the title of soccer specific.

Congrats TL at least it worked out better than KC's hockey arena.

San Jose? I don't know, man. Is that even made of concrete? Looks very MLS 2.0.

In terms of the "soccer specific" thing. I still believe BMO is specific to soccer. I mean, they play football games at Children's Mercy, too. Almost every stadium in North America is multi-purpose with a principle tenant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    San Jose? I don't know, man. Is that even made of concrete? Looks very MLS 2.0.

In terms of the "soccer specific" thing. I still believe BMO is specific to soccer. I mean, they play football games at Children's Mercy, too. Almost every stadium in North America is multi-purpose with a principle tenant.
    They have a full roof on 3 sides and the fact that MLSE has looked to them for what to do on the north end says, for a stadium with an open side they have set the standard for what to do. I wouldn't expect you to get it but safe standing is a huge asset for supporters and something that has been an ask from us all along the way with the renovation but clearly those asks fell on deaf ears. With the back of the south open the rigging going in will be extremely hard to use and potentially very cost restrictive for supporters to do a large tifo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I found it funny that in the Kurt Larson interview with Hunter that Hunter says because they were in the top 5 for money spent on the stadium then that makes our stadium in the top 5 for venues in MLS. Just because you spent the money doesn't guarantee you that accolade.
    That was based on the full reno and I believe that money number. They must have spent a ton of cash on those 3 fancy new 'clubs' in BMO. Those were not cheap. Of course the canopies and sound system too but they did spend a lot on back room stuff and on cosmetic trinkets.

I agree it's a Frankenstadium but anyone who expected anything else wasn't paying attention. Like what did you expect? To do a full "English" enclosed stadium you would have had to demo the north, south, and west sides and basically start from scratch. We'd have been playing this season and probably most of the next one in the Dome. Like I said before, if I stay dry in typical BMO rain, if my skull doesn't fry in July, and if my season ticket doesn't start jumping up 35% a year in costs then I am not complaining about the actual stadium. The Argos are a different story but there will hundreds of posts covering dozens of pages about that for the next foreseeable forever.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds pretty special to have had a stadium with no gridiron in it. I'll remember it fondly.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

principle tenant.
    I'm gonna be that guy. Sorry. But I noticed it in your article, too - principal, not principle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have a full roof on 3 sides and the fact that MLSE has looked to them for what to do on the north end says, for a stadium with an open side they have set the standard for what to do. I wouldn't expect you to get it but safe standing is a huge asset for supporters and something that has been an ask from us all along the way with the renovation but clearly those asks fell on deaf ears. With the back of the south open the rigging going in will be extremely hard to use and potentially very cost restrictive for supporters to do a large tifo.
    My understanding is they've sorted the Tifo stuff for June.

In terms of "safe standing" ... It's not something I've looked into, but I'm guessing they'd rather sell seats rather than GA.

In terms of the north end, MLSE admits they ran out of time to improve it. I expect it to look much different in the coming years with party decks and outdoor bars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just flat out don't like San Jose's design, with expensive suites lining the touch line. Looks bad on TV, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 5 cents (sorry, no more pennies in Canada!), I am happy to know that MLSE has shown their dedication to the growth of soccer in Toronto. This project didn't have to happen. They don't owe us jack. Many fail to accept that much like going to a play, or a movie, we are paying to attend a sporting performance event. We are not owed anything, just as those who didn't like the latest Star Wars film are not "owed" anything by LucasFilm (Disney).

This is the stadium we have, and it has come a hell of a long way. A fully surrounded stadium would not be possible without knocking down what's there. The footings required simply could not be put in place, unless someone simply wants to build a fortress over and around the existing structure. Depending how the wind blows, yeah, some will still get a bit wet, and some will still get some sun.

I love it, my girl loves it. I'm thrilled to know soccer is firmly here to stay. Pat me down, grab my balls, just let me through the gates; it's game time!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This tweet by Rollins bugs the shit out of me

The concrete all over has significant water damage.

There was so much water pooling on the East side they used pictures of that for 3 seasons in the "why call stadium services" thing before the game.

The canopies attempt to remedy that and thus are objectively a good thing.

The South concourse is objectively a good thing.

The East concourse is objectively a good thing.

The canopies, imperfect as they are, are objectively better then the situation before and thus a good thing..

Having more seats is objectively a good thing.

Of course that brings in more revenue. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

But, hey, its not as pure as the first years and the money could have been spent somewhere else so therefore its not what should be. Damned if I know where they'd spend $140 million given how much money they are throwing around the academy and up at KIA but that's beside the point. Its not 2007 for some therefore it can't be good.

Nobody is happy about the potential for the field to be torn up by the Argos. And I would much prefer this stadium not have them as a tenant.

But this whole trying to get back to what was thing has to stop.

2007 - 2010 Great years. Lots of fun. Lot of shit happened then and between then and now. Shouldn't be forgotten.

Its not then anymore.

2016 is here and we got a decent MLS stadium. And that has value to the fans.

Stop moaning about the existence of this reno. It happened. Criticise the result. But don't tell me that what has been built has no freaking value to the fans.

The upgrade to BMO V2.1 rolls out tomorrow

I suggest people download it and figure out the bugs and features themselves
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-06-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is they've sorted the Tifo stuff for June.

In terms of "safe standing" ... It's not something I've looked into, but I'm guessing they'd rather sell seats rather than GA.

In terms of the north end, MLSE admits they ran out of time to improve it. I expect it to look much different in the coming years with party decks and outdoor bars.
    They have sorted the rigging... the stadium design makes the entire thing extremely complicated, costly and risky. i.e. we do a tifo for a particular game that really wouldn't work vs another opponent or on a different day but the wind is too high making the load that the rigging or material exceed capabilities, well SG's would then have spent 1,000's of dollars and hundreds of hours for nothing.

Still sell "Seats" but they don't need to be used, provides more space and can still be used for other events.

I'm sure the north end will end up being a fun time for the crowd that would gravitate to that kind of atmosphere, much like the bud patio before the game it isn't for the supporters.

Maybe my opinion of Avaya will change after I see it live in july but for now it has more supporter and soccer specific features than BMO and I would take it over BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This tweet by Rollins bugs the shit out of me

I don't get the comment really. These decisions generate more revenue, while they are taking their profits (omg noes how dare they!), we have a pretty nice fucking roster these days no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, clearly a lack of logic with that one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I don't get the comment really. These decisions generate more revenue, while they are taking their profits (omg noes how dare they!), we have a pretty nice fucking roster these days no?
    Completely agree, everything they have done is based on increasing revnue streams, which in the long run is better for everyone.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill defend Duane for a second... what have we gained in the southend? a canopy that may keep a little sound in but provides little protection.

The upgrades were done to increase top end revenue streams and allow for other events, cool i don't mind that as long as they are the ones that pay for the upgrades but lets not pretend that these upgrades were for your average TFC supporter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill defend Duane for a second... what have we gained in the southend? a canopy that may keep a little sound in but provides little protection.

The upgrades were done to increase top end revenue streams and allow for other events, cool i don't mind that as long as they are the ones that pay for the upgrades but lets not pretend that these upgrades were for your average TFC supporter.
    so we've gained a little here and a little there. Now two littles may not add up to being a lot, but it is still something. Ie, a gain is a gain is a gain.

we have to recognize that the stadium is still work in progress and will be for some time. It's still incomplete but it's more complete than it was last year and we are seeing provisions made for future success and ergo, future expansion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeciTFC View Post
    so we've gained a little here and a little there. Now two littles may not add up to being a lot, but it is still something. Ie, a gain is a gain is a gain.

we have to recognize that the stadium is still work in progress and will be for some time. It's still incomplete but it's more complete than it was last year and we are seeing provisions made for future success and ergo, future expansion.
    We have had a couple small gains and a couple set backs. It is what it is but the major additions to the stadium were made for others, not for us and describing it any other way would be disingenuous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What has the south end gained?

-The roof that you claim provides little protection will cover at least half the seats IMO, I've stood under it many times already. I think your assessment isn't accurate.
    -This same roof will provide us rigging for banners in the near future, something we've wanted
    -A concourse to help with congestion
    -New lighting and sound system stadium wide
    -If we want to talk the whole reno project, the 8000 fans that now sit in the upper east side are something I don't mind having. More fans more noise. More fans more revenue. More revenue, more MVP caliber players.

Are we being cynical, ignorant or what? You can cry about what the intentions for these items were, but we're benefiting from having them, cannot be denied.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But at the end of the day it gives us a team that includes Seba, The General and Jozy. Anyone who thinks we would have such a squad if things were still like they were a few years back is nuts. At the end of the day, it is what it is. As far as I am concerend as long as the grass is green and in good shape all is good. Sports and the 21st century is all about producing as much renenue as you can, simple as that.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have had a couple small gains and a couple set backs. It is what it is but the major additions to the stadium were made for others, not for us and describing it any other way would be disingenuous.
    i have to disagree. I generally like the appearance of the latest upgrade and have a positive outlook for it's and our future. I can see where there is a lot of room for improvement but in general, I see the upgrade as a good thing with positives that outweigh the negatives.

The major upgrades are canopies on three sides, the only reason for which is to provide a degree of protection from the elements for those that sit beneath it. If, over the course of a season, more TFC fans sit beneath it and enjoy that degree of cover or increased atmosphere than any other set of fans, then the improvements have catered mainly for TFC fans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-The roof that you claim provides little protection will cover at least half the seats IMO, I've stood under it many times already. I think your assessment isn't accurate.
    -This same roof will provide us rigging for banners in the near future, something we've wanted
    -A concourse to help with congestion
    -New lighting and sound system stadium wide
    -If we want to talk the whole reno project, the 8000 fans that now sit in the upper east side are something I don't mind having. More fans more noise. More fans more revenue. More revenue, more MVP caliber players.

Are we being cynical, ignorant or what? You can cry about what the intentions for these items were, but we're benefiting from having them, cannot be denied.
    We would not have the pleasure of enjoying Seba week in, week out if it were not for this renovation, simple as that. Just walking around it the other day has gotten me excited for tomorrow to see BMO full,loud and rocking under these new lights.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BMO Field re-opening ceremony will be broadcast on Sportsnet 360 and on Sportsnet.ca

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/watch...ing-bmo-field/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-The roof that you claim provides little protection will cover at least half the seats IMO, I've stood under it many times already. I think your assessment isn't accurate. So have I, it won't protect us in the rain or wind
    -This same roof will provide us rigging for banners in the near future, something we've wanted. Due to the roof the rigging will be very tough to use
    -A concourse to help with congestion Sure but i still see most go to the main level, that concourse in underutilized and any suggestions for it have been ignored.
    -New lighting and sound system stadium wide Cool, but really who cares about the sound system
    -If we want to talk the whole reno project, the 8000 fans that now sit in the upper east side are something I don't mind having. More fans more noise. More fans more revenue. More revenue, more MVP caliber players. New fans are nice and if they had made the upper east deck cheap enough to attract the next gen of fans i would agree with this statement more.

I don't believe i'm "crying" about anything thanks for taking a shot though next time come up with something better. I'm stating an opinion about the renovation and what has really been done, my statement of the renovations are more tailored to higher end revenue streams doesn't appear to be incorrect? I also stated i'm not against anyone making money, but i do fear we will end up paying much higher prices for very little upgrade.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people are annoyed because the stadium is still a work in progress for other reasons not related to TFC and soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe i'm "crying" about anything thanks for taking a shot though next time come up with something better. I'm stating an opinion about the renovation and what has really been done, my statement of the renovations are more tailored to higher end revenue streams doesn't appear to be incorrect? I also stated i'm not against anyone making money, but i do fear we will end up paying much higher prices for very little upgrade.
    So your response is, cool but I don't care.

Right, moving on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a posative note on the Friday lets flash back to the old darling, in her original beauty, so innocent and new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    I think people are annoyed because the stadium is still a work in progress for other reasons not related to TFC and soccer.
    i get that but the stadium would still be a work in progress project regardless of whether the Argos were moving in or not. there is clear progress at BMO - it's a better stadium than it was ten years ago and a better stadium than it was one year ago and I for one, welcome it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i get that but the stadium would still be a work in progress project regardless of whether the Argos were moving in or not. there is clear progress at BMO - it's a better stadium than it was ten years ago and a better stadium than it was one year ago and I for one, welcome it.
    It wouldn't be Toronto sports talk if we weren't hating fucking everything now would it?