Page 54 of 86 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yes good point. I wonder about rust or discolouration.

Mostly I still wonder though: what the hell are they going to do with the snow & ice on the "canopy"?
    I know that there is a drainage pipe for the rain but for snow might be another issue. Maybe they have heaters at the top... All I know is that they are well made and are able to withstand Canadian winters and summers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Well, looks like this thread has been completely derailed. Anyone have anything related to the topic of this thread? BMO Field Construction? Photos? Anything related at all?
    I took a group of them last week.. people made two comments and went back to talking about everything else.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yes good point. I wonder about rust or discolouration.

Mostly I still wonder though: what the hell are they going to do with the snow & ice on the "canopy"?
    The structure will be able to hold the weight of the ice and snow and is built to drain to the middle of the canopy then off to the sides. There won't be an issue with snow and ice or when it melts off.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    The structure will be able to hold the weight of the ice and snow and is built to drain to the middle of the canopy then off to the sides. There won't be an issue with snow and ice or when it melts off.
    I dunno, I'm thinking of winters like the past two, where it was hellish cold, and the snow & ice accumulated for months. Or even worse, the brutal amounts of snow they had in New England one of the past two winters. We can get that much as well. In those cases, even roofs that are designed to hold the weight of the snow in normal years, had to be cleared off.

Or, chunks of ice flying off if we get a sunny windy game day early in the season.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally it was to be Canada's Football Stadium, which was cool, but forever reason, there was no cohesive expansion policy.

The place was a cheap tin can to start, with bolts falling off due to us stamping our feet.
    The new canopies will always look like the awkward piece-meal afterthoughts they are.

Will we be louder & less wet? Possibly. Will it be a state of the art football stadium? Nope.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    The roof also doesn't cover the concourse behind the south side seats..

The roof over the south side shouldn't exist. Of course if they said it isn't feasible to put a roof over the south because they want to have temporary seating or big events there the supporters (you know the people that complain about fairweather fans) would have screamed murder and well know that.

And of course the West side roof has to be high because "supporters" were complaining about it looking lopsided so it is designed to be even. This is the stadium people have been asking for.

I do agree though the south roof seems silly. It shouldn't be there at all.

Ok. Something has been really bothering me whenever I see shots of the south end canopy. Is it just me, or does the roof hanging from the two towers seem rather precarious? I mean, there's going to be pillars running vertically up the back and attached for extra support, right? There has to be, yes? Because that canopy just does not look safe suspended from only those two points on the sides. I certainly can't think of a stadium with a similar design I've visited.

It can't be just me, but that roof is going to be collecting a lot of snow and rainwater, as well as being subjected to rather strong winds. They HAVE to provide additional support yes?
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 03-23-2016 at 06:43 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Ok. Something has been really bothering me whenever I see shots of the south end canopy. Is it just me, or does the roof hanging from the two towers seem rather precarious? I mean, there's going to be pillars running vertically up the back and attached for extra support, right? There has to be, yes? Because that canopy just does not look safe suspended from only those two points on the sides. I certainly can't think of a stadium with a similar design I've visited.

It can't be just me, but that roof is going to be collecting a lot of snow and rainwater, as well as being subjected to rather strong winds. They HAVE to provide additional support yes?
    Modern technology, dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure the structural engineers know what they are doing with the roof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    I'm pretty sure the structural engineers know what they are doing with the roof
    See Elliot Lake parking Structure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    While that would be a great idea in theory, it would have to be a small footprint with quite a few levels, unless they are considering reducing the CNE's available space even more. Frankly, the CNE has just become an overpriced cash-grab, so personally, a large parking structure would be definitely of interest to me. Edit: REASONABLY PRICED parking structure. Last game I drive to, it was $30 for parking, which is ridiculous.

I pay $3 for parking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so based on what I can see and what I have read.

The South canopy is connected to the tower at two points on each side. plus the support beam which runs along the length which it is also connected at multiple points. The Canopy it self is angled up so the lowest point is directly under the the main support beam. The Angle of the Canopy is designed to cause the greatest stress along the greatest areas of support and a drainage system is in place on all three roofs.

The East and West are supported from the Top and Back not really from the sides. As such I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Points of support, and angling of the roof should handle any stress from Wind, rain, and snow fall. If it does get to a point of concern I'm sure they can get up with shovels as a last resort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a group of them last week.. people made two comments and went back to talking about everything else.
    I, personally, appreciate(d) your contribution! I was there Saturday night, but unfortunately (and surprisingly) there were no lights on within the "bowl" area. Surprisingly, because it's an active construction site and there's usually some minimal lighting for safety/security.

Bottom line, it's looking awesome, and cannot wait for May 7th to get here! They lowered the roof weeks ago, soon it will be the fan's turn to try and raise it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an Engineering Technologist, I'm more than confident you have nothing to worry about.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIs the roof not going to extend out to cover the light greys in 111 on the east stand?

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's cool. My only concern was that:

A) It's not a design I've ever seen before.

And:

B) I'm standing right below it.

Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    IIs the roof not going to extend out to cover the light greys in 111 on the east stand?

The last Beams are not in yet on the East stands it will extend all the way cover 111

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Modern technology, dude.
    LMAO!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    A subway along the lake shore would be a great idea. During the summer around CNE the subway would be packed with people. It will always be used depending on where the stations are put.
    well there is already train tracks that run from Aldershot all the way to Oshawa, with a lot of that track on the west side of Torotto already running near the Lakeshore. What would would be a better idea, and more likely to happen would just be adding more transit along the line, there is currently train service every 30 minutes all day...with sometimes extra service in rush hours (tho mind you extra rush hour service trains are often more express trains and often skip Exhibition stop ). What would be more likely to happen is adding service to every 15 minutes along these tracks all day, while also making the rail electrified. As far as Subway goes...the only thing you might get close to underground rail near Exhibition might be if they ever build that relief line, and more importantly in this case build a line running on the west side of Toronto, maybe you would have some sort of rail running from Bloor down Dufferine, turning at King Street heading East, running by Liberty Villiage and heading east to connect at some point with the University/Younge Subway line, most likely then heading to the East side of Toronto and up to Bloor East somewhere. Last option is the Smart Track Line they speak of building (which again is using current rail tracks) and being electrified and more intercity, like above ground Light Rail system with more short distance stops..they could add another station at exhibition/Liberty Villiage, then stop at Spadina (maybe Bathurst as well) and it would connect to Union station, heading North as it approaches Liberty Villiage and head North up to Bloor, and maybe continue further North from there. again kind of would be like a subway in the area. And they have talked about it for years, using current rail in the neighbourhood.
    Last edited by james; 03-23-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last Beams are not in yet on the East stands it will extend all the way cover 111
    you will actually be covered by both roofs if you sit mid-111 or lower, same with lower 119

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any rollerblader's with camera's on site?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Any rollerblader's with camera's on site?
    Of all the days...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send in some of these people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Of all the days...
    haha.. I take it the weather's bad? Edmonton here, wasn't paying attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so based on what I can see and what I have read.

The South canopy is connected to the tower at two points on each side. plus the support beam which runs along the length which it is also connected at multiple points. The Canopy it self is angled up so the lowest point is directly under the the main support beam. The Angle of the Canopy is designed to cause the greatest stress along the greatest areas of support and a drainage system is in place on all three roofs.
    This picture might help show the connection points you're talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need my fix. Anyone got new photos >.>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, which one of you posted this.

Can`t we just give this up already?!?

https://m.reddit.com/r/toronto/comme...t_be_the_same/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post

You'd think people would be happy.

Apparently in Toronto people like looking at a Giant Erection, in most places you would want to hide it behind some stands.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post

Which one of who? People in here? You're in here.

And why would you spill it into here? Especially if you don't agree with the sentiment? Are you trying to troll intentionally?

I thought people who liked the construction wanted to keep this thread about pics? Lemme know if that's changed.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-28-2016 at 01:44 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd think people would be happy.

Apparently in Toronto people like looking at a Giant Erection, in most places you would want to hide it behind some stands.
    So people on reddit care about the view more than the Argos moving in. I don't participate in that realm at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stadium's looking great. I agree with the earlier comments that BMO Field isn't going to be a 'world class' or even 'top class' football stadium, but it's a very good nonetheless. The roof will help a lot and adds to the aesthetics as well as it now starts to look like a real football (soccer) pitch. Sadly, the North end's looking a bit desolate, for now at least. Still, it's going to be a big improvement. And there should be no concerns about the roof. They will have structurally tested those beams and supports for something just short of King Kong sitting on it. It's going nowhere no matter what the snow. Besides, we haven't had that much snow the past few years with some small exceptions here and there.