Page 52 of 86 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    I wonder what the extended catwalk on the east side is used for
    Maybe to hang a promotional banner possibly. You never know.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    It will be extended on the other side too. You can see the bracing for it. They seem to be focusing work on the west side for now, and will do the east side. You can actually see the mounts for the lights on the extended scaffold.
    Aaaa...so, more lighting for the South End then, and on the patio? (Hey, gotta make lemonade out of the lemons)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Aaaa...so, more lighting for the South End then, and on the patio? (Hey, gotta make lemonade out of the lemons)

I think you have your directions a little mixed up.. the extended catwalks are on the North End. Not the South End :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    If only I could take a Go Train. I live in Newmarket. There are no trains on the weekend and during the week trains only travel southbound early in the morning and northbound in the evening.
    Along the Lakeshore the GO train use to come every hour, 7 days a week 5am - 12;43 am, at least from the west side anyways, that was just maybe 3 years ago...I remember how awful I thought that was, (I think back in the 90's or 80's Lakeshore only had service during rush hour times, tho I am not certain). A few years ago they made it every half hour service with extra trains in rush hour service, every day of the week. Its much better now, I still think 15 minute service would be ideal tho...I can't believe how bad the service is on the other GO lines....its like the dark ages. Makes me realize how shit transit is in the North of the lake, it sounds like anything North, outside of the Subway reach..good luck getting around without a car!!!
    Last edited by james; 03-19-2016 at 03:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    If only I could take a Go Train. I live in Newmarket. There are no trains on the weekend and during the week trains only travel southbound early in the morning and northbound in the evening.
    GO train to Union, then every half hour along the Lakeshore heading west is a GO train (takes 5-7 minutes train ride to Exhibition) It can work well if the timing is right or you can be screwed and stuck waiting like 25 minutes for the next one. I think you could also take streetcar 509 to Exhibition from Union...tho its obviously slower, and takes longer then 5-7 minutes, but probably more often, like every 10 minutes, but might not save you time in the end, Im not the best person to ask on that one. Or even you can take the King streetcar (near Liberty Villiage if having beers after the game or heading for beers before the game) to University (at St.Andrews station, in which tho then would have to walk maybe 10 minutes to or from Union to King and University at St. Andrews station, but streetcars to come often on that line). A Few options available, but the GO train is probably most simple from Union to Exhibtion to follow.
    Last edited by james; 03-19-2016 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roof just seems absurdly high.

I fear that the decision to add the roof and the upper deck for $120M, rather than knock the whole thing down and start over, may have been penny wise but pound foolish. But can't say for sure until they're done.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roof also doesn't cover the concourse behind the south side seats..

The roof over the south side shouldn't exist. Of course if they said it isn't feasible to put a roof over the south because they want to have temporary seating or big events there the supporters (you know the people that complain about fairweather fans) would have screamed murder and well know that.

And of course the West side roof has to be high because "supporters" were complaining about it looking lopsided so it is designed to be even. This is the stadium people have been asking for.

I do agree though the south roof seems silly. It shouldn't be there at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And of course the West side roof has to be high because "supporters" were complaining about it looking lopsided so it is designed to be even.

Never once heard that. More likely they built them the same height because

a) potential to revamp the top of the West to add boxes

b) engineers in this country seem to like symmetry and this job looks it was designed by an engineer, not an architect.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roof over the south side shouldn't exist. Of course if they said it isn't feasible to put a roof over the south because they want to have temporary seating or big events there the supporters (you know the people that complain about fairweather fans) would have screamed murder and well know that.

And of course the West side roof has to be high because "supporters" were complaining about it looking lopsided so it is designed to be even. This is the stadium people have been asking for.

The supporters didn't want this reno. Why would you think some supporter input would've changed the height of a roof? Where are you getting this?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b) engineers in this country seem to like symmetry and this job looks it was designed by an engineer, not an architect.
    As an engineer, I take offence to this statement. Engineers design to whatever is requested by the customer. Also, depending on what is requested by the customer, the cost will vary. Maybe MLSE requested asymmetrical heights but did not like the potential difference in cost? Maybe MLSE made the choice that the equal height roofs will look better from a distance?

Engineers can design pretty much anything you want if you are willing to pay for it. If MLSE didn't like any aspect of the design, they would have said so. This design looks more like something built on the cheap, not practicality (engineer's input), not aesthetics (combo of engineering and architecture).

Lastly if the engineers liked symmetry, and they have all the say in the design, why was the new east stand built taller than the west?
    Last edited by PAOK17; 03-19-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The supporters didn't want this reno. Why would you think some supporter input would've changed the height of a roof? Where are you getting this?
    I had written a response but the site deletes everything I write if it is more than two lines without logging back in using a second window and it really isn't important enough to waste time re-writing it all.

Basically, since the plans were released various forms of Ugly, Penny pinching etc. all manner of things have been said, and the stadium eventually ended up looking as it does now. It is a Stadium that is a perfect metaphor for the City of Toronto.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    As an engineer, I take offence to this statement.

My Dad was an engineer for what its worth, but I understand the offence. I apologise. That wasn't fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    supporters wanted a roof. Be careful what you wish for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    supporters wanted a roof. Be careful what you wish for.
    Having said that, most of my non TFC type friends think the roof is really cool. We may be too close to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roof also doesn't cover the concourse behind the south side seats...
    You're quite right. Even Discovery Channel documentaries lie to us.

(Sorry, had to.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone is judging the way the stadium looks before its done renovations. Sure at first glance it looks ridiculous to some but you don't know what they will do to it. According to my calendar there is still two months left to finish the reno. Give MLSE time they are not going to let $120 million go to waste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love what theyre doing with the stadium. In 10 years when were selling out 30,000 seats week in week out come rain or shine theyll be easily able to scale up the seats to 40,000 permanent. Theres sufficient space under the roof and on the north side to make this feasible. If that doesnt get all your juices pumping i dont know what will!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are there plans for a "back" or wall behind the stands or is the design for it to be open like that?

It rains sideways along the lakeshore.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    GO train to Union, then every half hour along the Lakeshore heading west is a GO train (takes 5-7 minutes train ride to Exhibition) It can work well if the timing is right or you can be screwed and stuck waiting like 25 minutes for the next one. I think you could also take streetcar 509 to Exhibition from Union...tho its obviously slower, and takes longer then 5-7 minutes, but probably more often, like every 10 minutes, but might not save you time in the end, Im not the best person to ask on that one. Or even you can take the King streetcar (near Liberty Villiage if having beers after the game or heading for beers before the game) to University (at St.Andrews station, in which tho then would have to walk maybe 10 minutes to or from Union to King and University at St. Andrews station, but streetcars to come often on that line). A Few options available, but the GO train is probably most simple from Union to Exhibtion to follow.
    Thorough options but his main challenge is the first ride. GO to Union.

He's got to drive to Yorkdale or some place and take a subway down. Then cross his fingers on the timing.

If you partake of beverages, it makes the point of taking transit moot as you've got to drive home.

It's also moot if you like the idea of a less than 2 HR transit time.

Driving really is the best option for the northern folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uber is boss and cheap if you live downtown.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an engineer, I think it's absolutely true. If you want artistry to be part of the design, you start with an architect, not an engineer. Those who end up as engineers - particularly design engineers, don't tend to be the artistic type. Of course there are exceptions ... but that's my experience of dealing with design engineers over the years.

That said, I think the new stadium looks fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Dad was an engineer for what its worth, but I understand the offence. I apologise. That wasn't fair.
    Thanks! And now that I look at it, I did come off a little defensive there. So I apologize for that too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! And now that I look at it, I did come off a little defensive there. So I apologize for that too.
    You guys are gonna make me cry.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Are there plans for a "back" or wall behind the stands or is the design for it to be open like that?

It rains sideways along the lakeshore.
    They are putting up a temporary mural that will span from the top of the roof to the floor of the concourse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    They are putting up a temporary mural that will span from the top of the roof to the floor of the concourse.
    Like the idea but likely I'm going to hate the execution. Someone at MLSE will see it as another thing to sell sponsorship space for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did someone from MLSE say this or the FO say this?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Journos were told.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess functionality would enable the image and ads to be changed depending on the renter.

Seems like canvas, wind and rain don't really belong together in the same sentence though.

I guess we'll see how it works out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson just mentioned a mural was something they were thinking about. Has it ever been confirmed to be happening?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see the mural going to the floor of the concourse as there's handicap seacting on the concourse.....and doesn't the roof end where the concourse starts?

Dom