Page 37 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 2556
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My god... Some of the biggest downers post here. Most of you haven't stepped foot in or around BMO field since since October 2015. How about you guys wait before throwing MLSE to the sharks?
    Wait until the first home game to see if the roof helps with the sound, and wait until the first rain to see if you get wet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My god... Some of the biggest downers post here. Most of you haven't stepped foot in or around BMO field since since October 2015. How about you guys wait before throwing MLSE to the sharks?
    Wait until the first home game to see if the roof helps with the sound, and wait until the first rain to see if you get wet.
    Completely agree. until any of us have been in the stadium we don't know Shit !!!

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    As I said you have people here that will never be satisfied no matter what. They could literally work with the engineers to design the thing.. and they will complain that they used paint instead of chrome or gold plating. You just have to ignore them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it has nothing to do with satisfaction or never being satisfied it's having a chance to renovate it right and not doing it the way it should be done. I hate stadiums that are too open, I like them more enclosed, with the taking down of the stands , the big gaps between the roofs and the stands, this stadium remains to open for my liking and I think more could have been done to rectify the openess look of this stadium. The roof over the east stand is great, it's a proper roof why not the same type of roof on the west side? Why not retractable stands in the north end like was sold to us in the beginning? It's not about not ever being satisfied it's about what the stadium could have looked like if a few of the above mentioned things were done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took this one on Sunday. Not that exciting but as you can see, the south roof has been built and resting on the ground. Guess it will go up later on.
    I'll be back in the area on Tuesday. If anyone is looking for a picture of something specific, feel free to let me know. Obviously I can't take anything beyond the fences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    No it has nothing to do with satisfaction or never being satisfied it's having a chance to renovate it right and not doing it the way it should be done. I hate stadiums that are too open, I like them more enclosed, with the taking down of the stands , the big gaps between the roofs and the stands, this stadium remains to open for my liking and I think more could have been done to rectify the openess look of this stadium. The roof over the east stand is great, it's a proper roof why not the same type of roof on the west side? Why not retractable stands in the north end like was sold to us in the beginning? It's not about not ever being satisfied it's about what the stadium could have looked like if a few of the above mentioned things were done.

The gaps are large, but we were never promised a real roof - just a canopy. I also believe that the renderings do not this justice. The stadium will appear "massive" in person. MLSE just sunk a ton of money into players $50M and also into a stadium they don't even own 120M+. It a big risk for them so I believe they renovate the stadium incrementally going forward. Just think where this club was 2.5 years ago in 2013 - announced crowd of 18,000 (tickets sold) and 10,000 bums in seats. We have come along way.

If MLSE can increase attendance by 1500 this year to 25K average as well as have a good product - then I don't see why the increase in attendance can't reach 28 - 30K average in the next 5 years. If this happens I'm sure there will be more investment in BMO Field. Ie. a retractable stand in the North for 2,000 and a permanent second deck in the south (on the concourse) for another 2,500 - 3,000. Putting capacity at 35,000.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the protest last year proved, this stadium will only be as good as 3 things

a) the team

b) the crowd

c) the turf

A seems to be coming along, b is getting louder even before the canopy/roof/umbrella is added.

As most of us have said from the beginning of this, its about the turf - but that's for another thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTDude82 View Post
    The gaps are large, but we were never promised a real roof - just a canopy. I also believe that the renderings do not this justice. The stadium will appear "massive" in person. MLSE just sunk a ton of money into players $50M and also into a stadium they don't even own 120M+. It a big risk for them so I believe they renovate the stadium incrementally going forward. Just think where this club was 2.5 years ago in 2013 - announced crowd of 18,000 (tickets sold) and 10,000 bums in seats. We have come along way.

If MLSE can increase attendance by 1500 this year to 25K average as well as have a good product - then I don't see why the increase in attendance can't reach 28 - 30K average in the next 5 years. If this happens I'm sure there will be more investment in BMO Field. Ie. a retractable stand in the North for 2,000 and a permanent second deck in the south (on the concourse) for another 2,500 - 3,000. Putting capacity at 35,000.
    That would put us on par with mid table EPL clubs. If the stars align I could actually see TFC becoming a big club one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the beat View Post
    That would put us on par with mid table EPL clubs. If the stars align I could actually see TFC becoming a big club one day.

Attendance is a poor indicator of stature. Even 25k-30k average we'd still be getting outdrawn by one or two dozen african and asian clubs. It just means we're big in our own market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Attendance is a poor indicator of stature. Even 25k-30k average we'd still be getting outdrawn by one or two dozen african and asian clubs. It just means we're big in our own market.
    True but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. MLS is becoming a bigger league on the world stage, our stadium is getting to be respectable, we're starting to attract top players. The whole environment surrounding TFC is starting to change. Still a long way to go to becoming a big club but we're on the right path at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could have been Leiweke's showmanship (but i like to think the reasoning was sound), one of the reasons for the roof was protecting the concourses so the repair work would be minimized going forward. Looking at the rendering and even judging by the above pic of the south roof, it doesn't look like it will actually cover the concourse/temporary seating. Feels like a missed opportunity to get that part out of the way now for the perhaps eventual expansion of the south. Given that the rain usually comes off the lake, it seems an extended south roof would actually keep the current south stand dry (even if it is pretty high above).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really only care about the roof for sound. East side is going to sound awesome.

South? Enh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a walkway along the edge of the roof. Now there's a good view ... and a great place to hang banners!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if it was on the west than you would complain it is lopsided, and someone would complain about it being bush league.

Nothing is ever good enough for Toronto Sports fans.. if not you someone else would complain.. it doesn't matter.

The issues with the retractable stands.. that is totally justifiable.. but complaints about the roof I think is less so. Those stands can still be added in as they were always supposed to be a Phase 3 but the Argos are coming in a year early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of off topic but I remember reading the south end would include a tifo rigging system.. is anything being orchestrated for the season opener?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of off topic but I remember reading the south end would include a tifo rigging system.. is anything being orchestrated for the season opener?
    As far as I know, not yet.
    Still waiting for details and measurements about the rigging system from FO.

I hope they give the SG time and opportunity to go into BMO and see how the system works, and how wind from the gap affects it, so it doesn't end up being a complete disaster on opening day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I understand that the canopy or roof over the south stands was built like that because of future expansion or because of the temporary seating for the Grey Cups and outdoor classic hockey I get it. However, why are they not doing the same type of roof that the east side has on the west side? Why the big gap on the west side? Is it because it was not possible to put in the same type of roof on the west side so the only way to build it was with the gap? What about closing the gap on the west side with some sort of material is that still possible? I don't know I'm not an engineer, anybody know the answer has MLSE told us why the west side roof or canopy was built like that?
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 02-15-2016 at 01:53 PM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a meeting this week with front office and hopefully this will be on the agenda. I would suspect relocation will be big item for this meeting too.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually your post is more on topic to this thread than many other posts, thanks for that -- and let it set an example for others!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely not off topic, was wondering same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I understand that the canopy or roof over the south stands was built like that because of future expansion or because of the temporary seating for the Grey Cups and outdoor classic hockey I get it. However, why are they not doing the same type of roof that the east side has on the west side? Why the big gap on the west side? Is it because it was not possible to put in the same type of roof on the west side so the only way to build it was with the gap? What about closing the gap on the west side with some sort of material is that still possible? I don't know I'm not an engineer, anybody know the answer has MLSE told us why the west side roof or canopy was built like that?
    west side gap will eventually be filled with luxury boxes (imagine the pressbox triple deckered end to end) They might do this in a few years when they reno the westside suites and update the westside depending on demand. Most new stadiums have this design feature now (levis and ford field being the prime examples)
    south gap for for temporary seating
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-15-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    west side gap will eventually be filled with luxury boxes (imagine the pressbox triple deckered end to end) They might do this in a few years when they reno the westside suites and update the westside depending on demand. Most new stadiums have this design feature now (levis and ford field being the prime examples)
    south gap for for temporary seating
    It's been talked about and I expect this reno to happen. New press box, another concourse and more luxury boxes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    west side gap will eventually be filled with luxury boxes (imagine the pressbox triple deckered end to end) They might do this in a few years when they reno the westside suites and update the westside depending on demand. Most new stadiums have this design feature now (levis and ford field being the prime examples) south gap for for temporary seating
    Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    It's been talked about and I expect this reno to happen. New press box, another concourse and more luxury boxes.
    Very interesting! I had never heard anything about a possible west side reno & expansion up until now (other than possibly some repairs/basic upgrades such as bathroom heat & hot water; insulated pipes; fixing drainage problems on the west concourse).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Very interesting! I had never heard anything about a possible west side reno & expansion up until now (other than possibly some repairs/basic upgrades such as bathroom heat & hot water; insulated pipes; fixing drainage problems on the west concourse).
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/03...ion-in-toronto

THE NEXT PHASE

There’s already talk of a Phase 3 over the next few years. MLSE executive Bob Hunter mentioned the suites along the west stand as needing something of a facelift seeing as they’re going on 10 years old. He added that other original (2007) amenities might need to be updated in the coming years.
    Read between the lines there but I think the facelift will be extensive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

West side is going to need some structural work - that concrete has issues. I suspect they will also cover the West concourse over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Looking at the rendering and even judging by the above pic of the south roof, it doesn't look like it will actually cover the concourse/temporary seating. Feels like a missed opportunity to get that part out of the way now for the perhaps eventual expansion of the south. Given that the rain usually comes off the lake, it seems an extended south roof would actually keep the current south stand dry (even if it is pretty high above).
    It does look a bit short length wise but if you read the Sun article PopePouri posted, apparently it goes quite far back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gap has me concerned about the tifo rigging. The wind blowing through that area could turn anything put up into a massive sail (with thousands of pounds of tension put on whatever connecting points it would have).

Logistics of anything that goes up will need to be worked on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your're right of course . And reasonable . Unfortunately most decisions , (especially) in building design and concepts get compromised in this fair city . It started at day one going for the bare minimum and now we keep trying to rectify minimalist builds with layers of icing . Whatever , will everyone here be just as pleased when they increase our seating prices 20% to 45% every year as they are this year . Check out Argos pricing for those close to the action . We'll be paying for this design and that is all right with me , but when our ticket prices rival much better stadiums , or at least enclosed entities , it will be interesting to hear everyone's opinion .
    Hopefully as some have said here, there will be design changes or uses made to the fly through north end . PS no matter whose opinion is given , TFC is slowly losing its hold on this stadium no matter what BS is given . And we're paying for it . Simply I go to enjoy soccer , until they price me out . Stadium is secondary , I enjoy the outdoors , just hate the roof leaks and poor plumbing , ( still there? ) pitch more important .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    The gap has me concerned about the tifo rigging. The wind blowing through that area could turn anything put up into a massive sail (with thousands of pounds of tension put on whatever connecting points it would have).

Logistics of anything that goes up will need to be worked on.
    Yes x10000.
    Mark my words, the logistics of this + training people + people having authority about when and how to deploy TIFO is going to make this a big headache in the future.

They need to install at least 8-10 pullies over the south, otherwise this won't work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Your're right of course . And reasonable . Unfortunately most decisions , (especially) in building design and concepts get compromised in this fair city . It started at day one going for the bare minimum and now we keep trying to rectify minimalist builds with layers of icing . Whatever , will everyone here be just as pleased when they increase our seating prices 20% to 45% every year as they are this year . Check out Argos pricing for those close to the action . We'll be paying for this design and that is all right with me , but when our ticket prices rival much better stadiums , or at least enclosed entities , it will be interesting to hear everyone's opinion .
    Hopefully as some have said here, there will be design changes or uses made to the fly through north end . PS no matter whose opinion is given , TFC is slowly losing its hold on this stadium no matter what BS is given . And we're paying for it . Simply I go to enjoy soccer , until they price me out . Stadium is secondary , I enjoy the outdoors , just hate the roof leaks and poor plumbing , ( still there? ) pitch more important .
    You had no problems paying insane prices for that rubbish in 2012, but now you're getting priced out? Comon... A TFC ticket has to be one of the cheapest forms of entertainment in Toronto. My one ticket price is roughly the same as a ticket to an IMAX movie.