Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read this about the new MLS stadiums coming. Well thought out designs, excellent supporters sections etc. Too bad for us:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015...innesota-miami

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red100 View Post
    Read this about the new MLS stadiums coming. Well thought out designs, excellent supporters sections etc. Too bad for us:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015...innesota-miami

In a few years, BMO Field will be one of the shittiest stadiums in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder of what we were supposed to get if the Argos did not join

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound box stadiums are always best hands down. Unfortunately we won't have one. Now that Bmo is Argos house and other events venue, is there a chance they plan to build another soccer specific stadium somewhere in GTA? Could be a possibility. A long shot but you never know

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    Sound box stadiums are always best hands down. Unfortunately we won't have one. Now that Bmo is Argos house and other events venue, is there a chance they plan to build another soccer specific stadium somewhere in GTA? Could be a possibility. A long shot but you never know
    Isn't there another thread for this sort of speculation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE are going to have put 200+ mil into BMO, unless someone else is building the thing we won't be moving any time soon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^But perfect for the CFL!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    Also, is the roof in the south end really gonna be that high? No way will the acoustics be taken advantage of.
    I was told they are putting it that high to accommodate temp south end seating for the bigger events above the current south end. Not sure if that is still the plan though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFAIK, the roof on the west side will also be very high, and not closed at the back. That's because they're not changing or connecting anything. The new roof will float above the press boxes and above the existing mini-roof. How often does rain fall straight down at BMO Field? Not often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    How often does rain fall straight down at BMO Field? Not often.
    see the big wigs that make the $$ make decisions to continue to make $$ and not spend $$.
    Its embarrassing to be honest that we are controlled by owners who are completely football (soccer) dumb. Its almost like they make decisions on a whim after thinking about it for a day or two.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    see the big wigs that make the $$ make decisions to continue to make $$ and not spend $$.
    Its embarrassing to be honest that we are controlled by owners who are completely football (soccer) dumb. Its almost like they make decisions on a whim after thinking about it for a day or two.
    As much as I'm not happy about the Argos coming in, saying that the owners don't spend money is crazy... Unfortunately I feel like most of the time they throw money at their problems, rather than actually fix them.
    The plus side, no body complained when BMO was first built without a north stand. Also, those 7 or so thousands SSH will be offered seats in other places in the stadium, so it'll appear fuller for those that are obsessed with how the stands look on TV.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    As much as I'm not happy about the Argos coming in, saying that the owners don't spend money is crazy... Unfortunately I feel like most of the time they throw money at their problems, rather than actually fix them.
    The plus side, no body complained when BMO was first built without a north stand. Also, those 7 or so thousands SSH will be offered seats in other places in the stadium, so it'll appear fuller for those that are obsessed with how the stands look on TV.
    I agree that MLSE & TFC usually don't have a problem spending crazy money. I think the problem here though is the Argos, owned by Tanenbaum & Bell, but not by Rogers or MLSE. The Argos are worth very little as we found out in the past few years. I always thought it was nuts, when the idea of a BMO Field reno for the Argos first came up, that the cost of just the renos for their benefit, seemed to be much higher than the total value of the franchise.

So when they really started planning the details of the Argo reno, they probably decided to go as cheap as possible on that part of the overall reno. More is just not worth it for the Argos. The attendance won't increase that much for them. I don't think you can charge crazy ticket prices for CFL either. Plus they only have a small number of home games per season. There is value for TSN/Bell as a broadcaster to keep the Argos alive, but for broadcast purposes they don't really care about stadium details.

So we end up with a cheap reno: no hybrid grass; cross your fingers the grass holds up; only minimally retractable south end; huge northward shift for Argos games; one plastic & one grass endzone; field length shorter than CFL standard; and probably a bunch of other corners cut.

RE people saying, perhaps they can replace the North Stand later: there will be very little space left in the north, due to the northward shift of the Argo's field. I don't think there is any room left for a permanent structure there. Things will be especially tight during the Ex., when the area in front of the Food Building is not available for BMO Field usage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    saying that the owners don't spend money is crazy....
    I am not saying they don't spend money...its how they spend the money. My comment was about how the rain falls. In my opinion MLSE can spend millions on new players and "renovating the stadium", but then don't think about things like how the rain falls. Its one band-aid fix after another when it comes to this stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    I am not saying they don't spend money...its how they spend the money. My comment was about how the rain falls. In my opinion MLSE can spend millions on new players and "renovating the stadium", but then don't think about things like how the rain falls. Its one band-aid fix after another when it comes to this stadium.
    Toronto mgmt/cost effective school of design .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    AFAIK, the roof on the west side will also be very high, and not closed at the back. That's because they're not changing or connecting anything. The new roof will float above the press boxes and above the existing mini-roof. How often does rain fall straight down at BMO Field? Not often.
    Yeah, that sucks. At least have a rain/wind screen in the gap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Yeah, that sucks. At least have a rain/wind screen in the gap.

at minimum some sort of screen to cover the gap in the south end as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really curious to see what the deal is with the season ticket holders wall, my family is definitely on there and has been a point of pride for us over teh last decade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if the south stands are going to be retracting anymore? I read that all they are going to do now is just configure the field differently at least for CFL football from what I read. Therefore , they are really changing the original plan to save money it seems.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 11-06-2015 at 03:41 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a video I stumbled on. Around the 5 minute mark the north looks to be updated:

https://vimeo.com/113660049
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Here is a video I stumbled on. Around the 5 minute mark the north looks to be updated:

So Just thinking about the patio and how it'll factor in during the games.

If it's sunny, people will go there. Not sure why - but people seem to love to sit on a patio and not pay attention to the match. we saw it the first few seasons at BMO
    However, when it rains, people will end up staying in their seats. Currently the North end was the only place with cover to watch the match. Now your seats are the only things covered. lol

So I guess that's a bonus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

I hate to break it you but this video is 11 months old and was the previous renovation rendering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I hate to break it you but this video is 11 months old and was the previous renovation rendering.
    Correct, however, contrast the end of the video to the end of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfXwBxqu4M

And you'll see where Phil is coming from.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Correct, however, contrast the end of the video to the end of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfXwBxqu4M

And you'll see where Phil is coming from.
    Aaaahhhhh. What the hell! Illuminati!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the video Phil posted...

Patio

What looks like and extra tier of temp seating in the south

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last i heard the front 6-8 rows would be removable for the other thing. Will not retract but would be taken out of the stadium, my info is a few months old now so who knows what the plan is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is there any construction actually going on right now? I see a crane there but it's not even close to the stadium. don't see any workers either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is there any construction actually going on right now? I see a crane there but it's not even close to the stadium. don't see any workers either.
    They have to bring in all their trailers, machines, and fence off the area before they start. They're also going to bring in a lot of the materials needed first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Construction my not actually start going full tilt til tomorrow or Monday. I'll give a report as I will be in bmo tonight picking up the kings drums from storage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My home team in England, Oxford - has a 3 sided stadium. BMO is going to be much the same, albeit bigger. Trust me, guys, a 3 sided stadium is not fun, even with a roof. You always lose a bunch of atmosphere without that fourth end. Plus we are staring at the Gardiner which isn't exactly beautiful!

The Oxford stadium, for reference and comparison:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    My home team in England, Oxford - has a 3 sided stadium. BMO is going to be much the same, albeit bigger. Trust me, guys, a 3 sided stadium is not fun, even with a roof. You always lose a bunch of atmosphere without that fourth end. Plus we are staring at the Gardiner which isn't exactly beautiful!

The Oxford stadium, for reference and comparison:

Hmm....I suppose in Oxford you stare at your car hoping somebody isn't kicking a ball onto the roof?