0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any possible explanation as to why the roof on the West stand is so incredibly high? I don't get it. Couldnt they have made it closer to the mini roof? The west stand roof is actually slightly higher than the east stand roof making the roofs asymmetric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Any possible explanation as to why the roof on the West stand is so incredibly high? I don't get it. Couldnt they have made it closer to the mini roof? The west stand roof is actually slightly higher than the east stand roof making the roofs asymmetric.
    i've always assumed it was room to extend the press box into luxury boxes eventually up to the roofline ... that just my belief when saw the initially drawings and the gap.
    Last edited by Onyx; 12-28-2015 at 01:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike Wendling – ‏@WendlingMike
    ya - they will be retractable. Same distance from the pitch as before when in soccer configuration - Via Twitter South End (Manager of premium services for TFC/Leafs & Raptors)
    Last edited by tfcmanu; 12-28-2015 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTDude82 View Post
    Thats a great picture, which I haven't seen before. It was a great stand with 60 rows ( I know I have sat in the last row). It was also loud and held 21,000 same as the entire BMO Field prior to the renovation. The stand did extend to the back of the end zones so sight lines were good. Except of course those pillars which were standard for stands of the day.
    The sound bounce off the roof was fantastic and it reflected down to field level and into the south stands in a fantastic way. Yes, the pillars were a problem but as you say, that's how it was done in those days. There are still some English grounds with pillars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    You forgot to mention that they used fire hoses to wash it down after events and since most of the rows never saw the sun it always smelled somewhere between rotting wood and wet cement.
    god damn i love the smell of wet cement. I live for sidewalks in april.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    ya - they will be retractable. Same distance from the pitch as before when in soccer configuration - Via Twitter South End (Manager of premium services for TFC/Leafs & Raptors)
    Edit: nvm. Thought this was in reference to the roof.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 12-28-2015 at 05:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I think it's just the angle that makes it appear that way. The West and East roofs are supposed to be symmetrical. It will balance the optics of the stadium when construction is completed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does this mean? South stands? North?

edit: was referring to tweet posted by TFCmanu above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    Some people at mlse don't seam to know what the term retractable means, just use it as a blanket terms that isn't actually reflective of what's going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    What does this mean? South stands? North?

edit: was referring to tweet posted by TFCmanu above.
    South. The north stand is gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    South. The north stand is gone.
    yes, that is clear from the photos, but there have been some suggestions a few rows may be put in for the soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    The sound bounce off the roof was fantastic and it reflected down to field level and into the south stands in a fantastic way. Yes, the pillars were a problem but as you say, that's how it was done in those days. There are still some English grounds with pillars.
    quite a lot of stadiums in England have pillars still today. Queens Park Rangers, Crystal Palace, Everton, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham, Liverpool to name a few on the top of my head (I've bee to most those grounds, Liverpool I just know has a couple pillars in one of there stands). I think the only stadiums in pro sports that i know of still having pillars today in USA/Canada pro leagues might be Red Sox and Chicago Cubs for baseball stadiums and in MLS you have Portland Timbers. I can't think of any in NHL, NFL or NBA.
    Last edited by james; 12-29-2015 at 02:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Would this massive downsview stadium happen before or after we sign Lionell Messi Jr.?
    before, but after the mono rail is complete

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cringed when he said fabricated in Montreal. Yikes!

What's also going to happen to the locker rooms? What was the plan again to support the large number of players for the CFL games?
    Last edited by Richard; 12-29-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol yeah I was like fuuuuuuuuck when they said it was done in montreal lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    cool video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

What's also going to happen to the locker rooms? What was the plan again to support the large number of players for the CFL games?
    I think the Argos will have different change rooms do they not?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    lol yeah I was like fuuuuuuuuck when they said it was done in montreal lol
    thanks for the roof montreal, first good thing you've done in the MLS!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last I heard is that Argos will have separate locker rooms (portable locker rooms?) somewhere under east or south stand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's going to be one of the more unique looking stadiums in the league, with more of a traditional feel to it. Other than the open north end to accommodate a CFL end zone, I like the design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    The last I heard is that Argos will have separate locker rooms (portable locker rooms?) somewhere under east or south stand.
    Argos have a massive dressing room under the eaststand and was built during this last season. I was told they will have a special tunnel out to the field as well.
    Not sure, but I believe the new visitor CFL room is under the weststand
    Last edited by Onyx; 12-29-2015 at 04:06 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

130 days until opening

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just imagine the type of renovation they could have done to BMO if the Argos, Grey Cup and Winter Classics were not coming to BMO, we could have had a nice more intimate not as open proper soccer stadium, even Saputo does not have all the bells and whistles that BMO has, I think it's a better place to watch a game than BMO, I was surprised how closed it is, not very open at all , it has a more or less proper roof, no big crazy gaps, the noise stays in , it has four stands, one of the better places that I haver ever watched a soccer match in Canada for a mainly rinky dink type of stadium, but you can't beat how closed in it is and how intimate it is when your in their watching a game, and it's all that because they don't have to accommodate anything else, no CFL , no outdoor hockey no Grey Cups, I would rather have a nice intimate 20,000 seat stadium than this 30000 seater we have trying to be all things to everyone, in the end it's the soccer experience that will suffer. The Argo fans don't care they are happier than pigs in mud.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 12-29-2015 at 04:38 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Argos have a massive dressing room under the eaststand and was built during this last season. I was told they will have a special tunnel out to the field as well.
    Not sure, but I believe the new visitor CFL room is under the weststand
    Would not be surprised if the away MLS locker room was expanded to also serves as the away one for CFL teams, with some of those community locker rooms, one could be used for expansion.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Just imagine the type of renovation they could have done to BMO if the Argos, Grey Cup and Winter Classics were not coming to BMO, we could have had a nice more intimate not as open proper soccer stadium, even Saputo does not have all the bells and whistles that BMO has, I think it's a better place to watch a game than BMO, I was surprised how closed it is, not very open at all , it has a more or less proper roof, no big crazy gaps, the noise stays in , it has four stands, one of the better places that I haver ever watched a soccer match in Canada for a mainly rinky dink type of stadium, but you can't beat how closed in it is and how intimate it is when your in their watching a game, and it's all that because they don't have to accommodate anything else, no CFL , no outdoor hockey no Grey Cups, I would rather have a nice intimate 20,000 seat stadium than this 30000 seater we have trying to be all things to everyone, in the end it's the soccer experience that will suffer. The Argo fans don't care they are happier than pigs in mud.
    Cool story, bro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe,when all is said and done that the renovation will turn out great. The stadium will have lots of character and be much louder than in the past because of the roof. I also don't think that this is the end of renovations. While this may be so in the foreseeable future, I can also envision a permanent second deck in the south stand with a steep pitch right up the roof line. What would that hold? - another 4-5K. Also something more permanent in the north end that will work together with the cfl field dimensions.

That being said, does anybody know if the south roof will extend over the new concourse there? Wondering if temporary seating is installed on the south concourse - will it then be uncovered?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just imagine the type of renovation they could have done to BMO if the Argos, Grey Cup and Winter Classics were not coming to BMO, we could have had a nice more intimate not as open proper soccer stadium
    There's no way MLSE would've significantly renovated this stadium if the Winter Classic could've been played somewhere else. It would've made no sense to drop $100 million just for TFC. We likely would've been stuck with what we had last year with minor structural repairs as needed.

Yeah this stadium is far from ideal. It sucks that the north stand is gone, sucks that the Argos are gonna play here, and the capacity is about 5000 too high. But after it's done I think we're gonna have a unique stadium better than a lot of others in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that yes there would not be a second deck on the east side if no Argos, Grey Cup and Winter Classic, but the second deck was not needed anyways , they were having problems filling the stands before the second deck on the east side was built. the stadium is too big now for TFC. I think that you would have seen roofs over all four stands eventually even without the new events and Argos. If someone had asked me to choose between no major renovations and no Argos and other events I would chosen no renovations, because as we have seen a lot of compromises have been made with the way the stadium has been renovated to accommodate the new tenants and the new events. I would not have such a big problem with the Argos coming in if the CFL field had the same end zones as the NFL, however because of the massive CFL end zones we have the elimination of the north stand and still don't really know what the final product of the south will look like. Moreover, we are also getting the type of stadium they are creating so that they can leave room for temporary stands for the big events like the Grey Cup and Winter Classics. BMO will look nice and intimate when they host the Grey Cups and Winter Classics when they put in the temporary stands to fill the open spaces, but what about 98 percent of the time those temporary stands are not there, well you will get big open spaces just like you see at that other new Canadian stadium down the QEW in Hamilton THF, because again it was built so open so they can add temporary stands for the Grey Cup and whatever other big events that stadium might hold. I was at Tim Hortons Field this past summer and kept shaking my head in disbelieve that in this day and age that's the best design they could build, incredible. However, I now realize Tim Hortons Field was built the way it was and with no end zones stands so that they could put in those temporary stands once every what 6 years when they host a Grey Cup, but for the majority of time you get this two sided stadium that has no intimacy at all just two big grandstands.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 12-29-2015 at 11:25 PM.