Page 14 of 86 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Richard, what makes you think it's ugly?
    That its not symmetrical, one side is incredibly bigger than the other and the roof could make the design look worse.

I like the roof and the upgrades I just wish they could have figured a way to make the stadium look a little more balanced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of like the unbalanced look - it reminds me of Frankenstein's monster and I'm hoping it will scare opposing teams, especially if the noise reverberates.

I'm assuming that the construction is ahead of schedule due to the balmy December weather. Is there any change to the estimated completion date?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took like the unbalanced look, even the South end roof is lower than the others, so I think it'll give us a nice unique park to play in.

Construction is ahead of where they expected to be, but of course weather can fuck that right up so cross your fingers. We're expecting to play our home opener May 8-10th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also like the unbalanced quirky look. Thats what gives the stadium character and hopefully great atmosphere- sort of like old UK stadiums. If everything is symmetrical or with corners filled, then we end up with a sterile environment. - sort of a SkyDome 2.0. Granted the second tier in the south will help reduce some of the quirkiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the expansion/roof/upgrades/etc...but that will not take away my jealousy of full/complete/proper stadiums like Red Bull Arena & BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red Bull Arena and Sporting Park (or what ever the official name is now) changed the equation for soccer stadiums in N. America. Even stadiums built on limited budgets like Avaya in San Jose ($100M) have amenities and design elements that just weren't prioritized when BMOF was designed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest I'm ok with the design at this point. I thought about it and realized during the game I'm not really looking at the stands. Either watching the game or the stuff that happens in the south end lol. Both of which were awesome this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went by today and I was blown away by the actual size of the construction. The pictures don't do it justice. Strange seeing the north stands gone but it's all pretty impressive. I know it's not symmetrical and it's not full enclosed but it's ours. It's what we have and it is a massive upgrade from 2007. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya whatever, how the stadium could have looked if you know who would have stayed out, but because this is Toronto we get this half ass reno going, it just reminds me of the old mistake by the lake that was exhibition stadium, the new renovated BMO Field is the mistake by the lake 2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the expansion/roof/upgrades/etc...but that will not take away my jealousy of full/complete/proper stadiums like Red Bull Arena & BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston.
    I am holding judgement until it's done but I am hopeful that it will be open enough to feel like an outdoor park. I've been to a few in Europe, nice ones like Aviva, and for sure they are fantastic but I just couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't outdoors. I didn't really like that feeling. I am hoping the high roofs and open corners keep some of the 'I'm outdoors' feeling alive.

Also, anyone know what the roof itself is made of? Metal or something opaque or something see through like some of the modern stadiums? Renderings look metal or something I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with you here. It's one thing to have an old building with history; another to build an inferior structure to start with and continually make changes to it.

Considering the weather in this city we should have a proper enclosed stadium. Issue is once you do that you can't easily rip down stands and add extra seats.

Long term (like a decade away or more) I would dream of a 40k SSS somewhere in the city on the subway line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have a running tally of the overall cost of BMO Field so far?

i.e. initial building cost in 06/07, grass installation in 09/10, and the current expansion/renovation for 14/15/16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roof over the west side canopy is going to look so bush league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    The roof over the west side canopy is going to look so bush league

good thing camera's don't face that way

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    good thing camera's don't face that way
    Strange design. Will that roof on the west and south keep out the rain, snow or gale force cold winds from the lake? I doubt it. Should have enclosed the thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Strange design. Will that roof on the west and south keep out the rain, snow or gale force cold winds from the lake? I doubt it. Should have enclosed the thing.
    at very least hang wind screens at back gaps and part of the sides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they replacing the North Stand at all? Like, with a smaller one further back? Or is it going to remain 3-sided permanently?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Are they replacing the North Stand at all? Like, with a smaller one further back? Or is it going to remain 3-sided permanently?
    Nope. Not in the plans for this season or the near future.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have a running tally of the overall cost of BMO Field so far?

i.e. initial building cost in 06/07, grass installation in 09/10, and the current expansion/renovation for 14/15/16
    Indeed, someone does. You can find all the numbers you seek at this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMO_Field

Be a dove, won't you, and tally up the numbers for us.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Nope. Not in the plans for this season or the near future.
    You sure?, I seem some renderings with a north end ... Albeit small about 5-10 rows I believe but I'm only going off of pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wind and rain

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Yes, It`s inexplicable that there are no sides. It`s standard in the UK, and great for keeping in the noise too.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    Yes, It`s inexplicable that there are no sides. It`s standard in the UK, and great for keeping in the noise too.
    I do believe that the east stands will have it enclosed but as for the west I'm not sure there's a probability and the south won't unfortunately which is a bit of a joke as that's where a majority of the noise

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Indeed, someone does. You can find all the numbers you seek at this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMO_Field

Be a dove, won't you, and tally up the numbers for us.
    Jeeze, you actually read that wiki page? Looks like the Argo fans have been working overtime with the edits. You'd think the stadium was costum-built from scratch just for their team going by how the entry reads.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    at very least hang wind screens at back gaps and part of the sides
    Those gaps will funnell the winds and rain, making it much worse than having no canopy at all.

My favorite place to watch a game at BMO, is in the north stand, where my last seasons tickets were. You can observe the entire pitch, and not have to constantly move your head side to side to follow the play. Makes me wonder if the architects assumed what is good for hockey, must be good for soccer too. Idiotic decision, in my opinion, to reduce, or remove the end zone seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drove past BMO recently. The west side roof looks like it's going to cover about 60% of seats on that side. Pretty bizarre looking to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam1001 View Post
    Drove past BMO recently. The west side roof looks like it's going to cover about 60% of seats on that side. Pretty bizarre looking to be honest.

Physics says is covers all the seats.

See if the supporting structures are in front of the seats, and the roof is resting on the Supporting structures... then the roof must be covering all the seats. If it were covering only 60% then the support structures would be in the middle of the lower stands at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went for a run down by the lakeshore yesterday morning and got a great look at the construction. I think it's going to look so different once the roof is finished and I get the feeling it will make the stadium appear way bigger. It was pretty cool to see first hand and I'm excited to see the finished product.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Physics says is covers all the seats.

See if the supporting structures are in front of the seats, and the roof is resting on the Supporting structures... then the roof must be covering all the seats. If it were covering only 60% then the support structures would be in the middle of the lower stands at best.
    With the rioof as high as it is , the rain will enter the lower seats don't believe there is much rain / wind coming from the east . It comes off the lake or in really bad storms from the north ...id say approx 10 to 20 rows up . Surprised no one has mentioned the turnaround on turf at the sky dome . If that is so then why did the Aholes have to leave ? Conspiracy . Was know all the time .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the white towers are way outside the two grandstands, if the roof comes to the white towers like the mock up. those outside sections should be protected from the rain ... wind is another story.

The blue supports look to be on the edge of the field so the roof will cover to the field edge, however, i believe the first 10 rows is lower deck will still get rained in some instances due to the height of the roof and wind will blow the rain on those areas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That its not symmetrical, one side is incredibly bigger than the other and the roof could make the design look worse.

I like the roof and the upgrades I just wish they could have figured a way to make the stadium look a little more balanced.

ahaaaaa!! another person who shares my asymmetrical concerns / dislike!!
    i freaked out when i realized the western stand was sloped on a different angle, and at a different height than the east.

i couldn't tell during gameday, and that's the main thing.
    i'm anal about the roofs now but it's not the end of the world.