Page 75 of 86 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2556
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    It's the way it is in order to keep BMO Field expandable for big events. No choice, really. That is, unless you don't want BMO to be expandable.
    K...When I find the time I'll try...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Uh, it did keep the sound in. As for dry, we'll see.

The noise is WAY more then in the past. Maybe you didn't heat it in 113 but its significantly louder for people in the east and west.
    I would argue that the actual crowd were much louder yesterday than we have heard in quite a few years. I guess we will see when the initial early season enthusiasm wears off a little to see if the roof itself is making a difference to keeping noise in.

I was actually in 110 yesterday and not my usual 113, but I did try and go around to each side a little to see the difference. I didn't spend significant time in the west though, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, despite the undeniable improvement, I'm rather underwhelmed at the 150m investment. If anything, the sound system is worse, I couldn't even understand the announcer at times which seemed to be a reverb issue, not a crowd noise issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Those custom high back seats are new, purposely chosen in 'blue' seats . Hence the touch of blue maybe forever in our uniforms . East side stands simply are best 'roofed' and helped capture all the atmosphere . I could actually here the supporters on the second level chanting above us lower . The others sides would presume that may not be the case .
    No they are not new. I have seats in 110, 5 rows from the bottom. Those seats were there last year and possibly even the year before. Also the tables that were there before them were also BMO blue. Blue at field leave on the east side has been there for years.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta say that I was underwhelmed looking at it physically, but it does a great job of keeping the sound in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Ok, after seeing the reno in the flesh, I join the chorus of those very pleased with the look, feel and sound of the place last night.

HOWEVER
    I was very, very dismayed with the north patio beer section. I looked at it when I first got into the stadium and the warm-ups had not yet started, so must have been prior to 7. I will be very happy to be proven wrong about the situation - to have somebody tell me that security and safety precautions were just delayed being put in place last night.

There seems to be no way of closing off the beer patio if it has too many patrons in it.
    There seems to be nobody counting the number of ins and outs to determine number of patrons (my music festival experience, Hillside outside of Guelph every summer, has a number of festival staff people in the entrance/exit areas of the beer garden/stage tent area, sitting on picnic tables counting ins and outs all day. They can close an area when capacity has been reached).
    There seems to be nothing within the beer patio to prevent surges of people harming other people. I don't know how the beer tables are anchored - safety concern if they topple?
    There seems to be no awareness of "safe standing", as if anyone going into that area has pledged to not watch the game.
    I did not go down the steps. Is it flat or does it rise to allow those at the back a view of the game??

Every soccer fan worth their salt has been aware of the Hillsborough tragedy for decades. Recent news out of the UK brought back a lot of memories for me. I think the constant theme within this RPB forum has been that non-soccer people dominate MLSE (and the CNE board too) and that soccer stadium decisions are made by the wrong folks...
    Hillsborough had big fences that kept fans locked in like a animal loading pen with only 1 way in and out. We do not have anything like that, the area is very open with nothing stopping fans from escaping many different ways out of the area if there was ever a emergency. Its not worth comparing the 2. Its probably more like an outdoor music festival, free to walk around as you please and densely busy near the front stage.
    Last edited by james; 05-08-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what we were told to expect, so expectations in check, the only "complaint" I have is with the new sound system. From 116 we could not make out what the announcer was saying for most of the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Ok so I got my answer about the roof coverage in the accessible row at the top of the south end now. The roof does absolutely nothing. Got rained on today even though it was just a little. Any real rainfall will soak us still. What a load of shit. Biggest accessible section in the stadium and they leave it exposed. Sucks. Whoever planned that part are asses.
    The rain yesterday was blowing south to north. I was near and right at the back for some of it, and I felt it (very light though).

But later on I was up front, and they weren't even aware that there'd been any rain. So it seemed to keep from the middle to the front dry.

Usually though the wind is blowing from the west or northwest - not the south.

So I suspect that the accessible at the back will be try more often than not.

As for all the drama for the last few months - well that was a big mountain out of a molehill. The new rows at the front were barely perceptible if you weren't standing on them. And even then, it was only the brand new metal, and slightly lower elevation that gave it away.

A job well done I'd say, given the constraints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was row 10, 112, I didn't notice it rained at all until we came out after the game, but it was more of a light misty rain. So hard to tell how well the roof in the south end would protect us in a windy downpour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 111 we definitely felt the light rain. Speaker system is way better where we are. In past years I had trouble understanding the announcer, not anymore. One thing I noticed was that the entire back wall of the west concourse was BMO blue. I usually don't go there so maybe it was like that last year but I don't believe so. Before the game I did a full tour (forgot what a workout going to the last row of the east is) and there are things still to finish but overall its nothing like last year. I assume the rest will be wrapped up before the ex happens or even the Indy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in 114. Thought the stadium looked awesome. Really helped with it being full at kick-off. National anthem gave my goosebumps. The canopy over the south end did not look that bad at all with the stands full and the east stand is very impressive and looks huge. Probably one of the best atmospheres at a game in a long time, great to see both the east and west side getting into it at times, felt like there was a real buzz back at BMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Based on what we were told to expect, so expectations in check, the only "complaint" I have is with the new sound system. From 116 we could not make out what the announcer was saying for most of the game.
    Back of 114 we could not hear the announcer at all almost all game either. They need to add a couple speakers in the south I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the speakers sounded super loud in 112....but people were chanting and talking during most of the announcements so I didn't know what they were saying because of all the noise around me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what I noticed most was when Toronto FC came close to scoring or a play was building up, the roar from the East Side was great, I think part of it was having a sold out stadium but also the new grand East Stand kept the noise in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The better test of the sound will be in a mid week game that is not as busy, like a Voyageurs game. They keep saying the next few weeks are near sell out so who's knows when we'll find out what happens when there are only 18K there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I noticed is that the place was full and there were still a lot of people watching the game from the south concourse and from the patio, like usual. That place was legitimately packed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our national anthem brought tears to my eyes. The roof definitely made a difference with the sound of the crowd. It was a night to remember, and I can't wait till next week-end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    In 111 we definitely felt the light rain. Speaker system is way better where we are. In past years I had trouble understanding the announcer, not anymore. One thing I noticed was that the entire back wall of the west concourse was BMO blue. I usually don't go there so maybe it was like that last year but I don't believe so. Before the game I did a full tour (forgot what a workout going to the last row of the east is) and there are things still to finish but overall its nothing like last year. I assume the rest will be wrapped up before the ex happens or even the Indy.
    rain ... isn't 111 under two roofs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the way it is in order to keep BMO Field expandable for big events. No choice, really. That is, unless you don't want BMO to be expandable.
    So youd rather worry about adding seats than keeping people in wheelchairs dry.... Wow

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see no reason why they can't add a bus shelter sort of thing at the top of the south end for those whose mobility is impaired.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to be so presumptuous, it isnt a zero sum game. Kurt makes a valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by mook-life View Post
    So youd rather worry about adding seats than keeping people in wheelchairs dry.... Wow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    rain ... isn't 111 under two roofs
    I'm row 21 seats 4 and 5 - looking up there's a bit of a gap between the two roofs. We felt a bit of weather but there wasn't enough to really compare what it'll be like. It'll definitely depend on what direction the wind is blowing.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that in every capital project there are trade-offs between what is wanted and what can be done. The canopies are a big improvement. But it is simply confounding to me that the south canopy doesn't cover the entire concourse, especially when the canopy was built to provide clearance for expanded temporary seating. I guess this counts as a complaint.

The north end changes don't bother me too much. In fact by clearing out all those facilities around the north end, flow of traffic is much better.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Here you go
    That's great news Gab but could you add the link next time for reference? Appreciate it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    What's been left out is how much the argos paid for the reno. MLSE does not own the Argos. How do these renos improve TFC?
    We opened 2 straight seasons with long road trips.
    The atmosphere may be less with an open north end.
    The field may be torn up, leading to injury or possible turf talk.
    The lighting is no longer based in the corners, but along the sidelines like a CFL stadium.
    What will happen in the postseason, with playoff dates, and possible field damage? Repair may be more difficult in late fall when the playing surface is most important.
    How do the renos help TFC at all?
    1) How will the atmosphere be less with 8,000 more people and roofing on the east and west stands that will undoubtedly keep sound in?
    2) So now we're worried about grass injuring players? Which is it? Also, there have been so many stories addressing how the grass will be maintained in the best way possible.
    3) Lighting in the corners previously had a negative impact on goalkeeping. Not anymore. The stadium is properly lit now.
    4) We don't know what will happen in the post-season.
    5) How do they help Toronto FC? Put it this way: An MLSE executive this week told me that without future revenue projections generated by the renovations, they would not have brought in Giovinco.

Anything else?
    The North End was not a great atmosphere. I'm sure the few people there had a good time watching the game at the rail but unless one was taller than the person in front one couldn't see the pitch. So behind 2 rows of people there were tables for people who just wanted to chat over a beer.

We have always been concerned over injuries from poor grass conditions caused from gridiron. It's not new. We've read the stories and have mixed opinions on the optimistic expectations of a new standard.

The lighting was better in every way as far as I could see.

Thanks for your input, Kurt. Seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in section 111 and for sure could feel the rain drops, if it rains hard with some wind it would be wet there. The east side canopy stops right at the edge of the stands and with the wind blowing it comes right into the section. The canopy over the south side may cover the first couple rows of 111 but doesn't help at all with the rest of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    That's great news Gab but could you add the link next time for reference? Appreciate it.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...-at-bmo-field/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deltron View Post
    I am in section 111 and for sure could feel the rain drops, if it rains hard with some wind it would be wet there. The east side canopy stops right at the edge of the stands and with the wind blowing it comes right into the section. The canopy over the south side may cover the first couple rows of 111 but doesn't help at all with the rest of it.
    I felt a few drops in 111 row 16. I looked up and it was a few drops coming from the edge of the south awning, perhaps the scaffolding, blown off from the wind most likely.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHA awesome! We need to add that emoticon toute suite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the rain on the south stands could be mitigated by adding some lugnuts along the roof edge and string up enough canvas awning to provide some additional cover yet still allow the wind to flow underneath it. Or maybe a really long RV awning that could be winched out.