Page 74 of 86 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    What's been left out is how much the argos paid for the reno. MLSE does not own the Argos. How do these renos improve TFC?
    We opened 2 straight seasons with long road trips.
    The atmosphere may be less with an open north end.
    The field may be torn up, leading to injury or possible turf talk.
    The lighting is no longer based in the corners, but along the sidelines like a CFL stadium.
    What will happen in the postseason, with playoff dates, and possible field damage? Repair may be more difficult in late fall when the playing surface is most important.
    How do the renos help TFC at all?
    1) How will the atmosphere be less with 8,000 more people and roofing on the east and west stands that will undoubtedly keep sound in?
    2) So now we're worried about grass injuring players? Which is it? Also, there have been so many stories addressing how the grass will be maintained in the best way possible.
    3) Lighting in the corners previously had a negative impact on goalkeeping. Not anymore. The stadium is properly lit now.
    4) We don't know what will happen in the post-season.
    5) How do they help Toronto FC? Put it this way: An MLSE executive this week told me that without future revenue projections generated by the renovations, they would not have brought in Giovinco.

Anything else?
    Last edited by KurtLarSUN; 05-07-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Whatever happens, good or bad, with the stadium going forward, it makes me laugh to remember just how many members of the media were spouting off about how TFC wouldn't last 2 seasons, and they were just a fad, and no one in Toronto cared enough to support a football team ... and now look.

A long way indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watching the Leicester City game would have loved a stadium like Leicester's , simple, fully enclosed and a proper roof no crazy gaps, maybe one day when I'm 90 if I live that long lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well - it does look like the new canopies may make some fans very happy this evening. This the future radar look 45 minutes before kickoff.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like a different place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mon the Reds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: wrong thread but I'm gonna go with it
    Last edited by the beat; 05-07-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rain seems to have passed too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Reddit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I guess we got our answers.

All the changes added absolutely nothing for the common fan. Experience was completely the same as always. I guess those I critized were spot on. Silly me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so I got my answer about the roof coverage in the accessible row at the top of the south end now. The roof does absolutely nothing. Got rained on today even though it was just a little. Any real rainfall will soak us still. What a load of shit. Biggest accessible section in the stadium and they leave it exposed. Sucks. Whoever planned that part are asses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big difference approaching on Atlantic Ave. Can really see it from King now. Anticipation starts a little earlier.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I haven't seen this posted

a Star Article on the Pitch revealed that Supaturf is the paint being used.

here is a video of it being removed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, after seeing the reno in the flesh, I join the chorus of those very pleased with the look, feel and sound of the place last night.

HOWEVER
    I was very, very dismayed with the north patio beer section. I looked at it when I first got into the stadium and the warm-ups had not yet started, so must have been prior to 7. I will be very happy to be proven wrong about the situation - to have somebody tell me that security and safety precautions were just delayed being put in place last night.

There seems to be no way of closing off the beer patio if it has too many patrons in it.
    There seems to be nobody counting the number of ins and outs to determine number of patrons (my music festival experience, Hillside outside of Guelph every summer, has a number of festival staff people in the entrance/exit areas of the beer garden/stage tent area, sitting on picnic tables counting ins and outs all day. They can close an area when capacity has been reached).
    There seems to be nothing within the beer patio to prevent surges of people harming other people. I don't know how the beer tables are anchored - safety concern if they topple?
    There seems to be no awareness of "safe standing", as if anyone going into that area has pledged to not watch the game.
    I did not go down the steps. Is it flat or does it rise to allow those at the back a view of the game??

Every soccer fan worth their salt has been aware of the Hillsborough tragedy for decades. Recent news out of the UK brought back a lot of memories for me. I think the constant theme within this RPB forum has been that non-soccer people dominate MLSE (and the CNE board too) and that soccer stadium decisions are made by the wrong folks...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Ok, after seeing the reno in the flesh, I join the chorus of those very pleased with the look, feel and sound of the place last night.

HOWEVER
    I was very, very dismayed with the north patio beer section. I looked at it when I first got into the stadium and the warm-ups had not yet started, so must have been prior to 7. I will be very happy to be proven wrong about the situation - to have somebody tell me that security and safety precautions were just delayed being put in place last night.

There seems to be no way of closing off the beer patio if it has too many patrons in it.
    There seems to be nobody counting the number of ins and outs to determine number of patrons (my music festival experience, Hillside outside of Guelph every summer, has a number of festival staff people in the entrance/exit areas of the beer garden/stage tent area, sitting on picnic tables counting ins and outs all day. They can close an area when capacity has been reached).
    There seems to be nothing within the beer patio to prevent surges of people harming other people. I don't know how the beer tables are anchored - safety concern if they topple?
    There seems to be no awareness of "safe standing", as if anyone going into that area has pledged to not watch the game.
    I did not go down the steps. Is it flat or does it rise to allow those at the back a view of the game??

Every soccer fan worth their salt has been aware of the Hillsborough tragedy for decades. Recent news out of the UK brought back a lot of memories for me. I think the constant theme within this RPB forum has been that non-soccer people dominate MLSE (and the CNE board too) and that soccer stadium decisions are made by the wrong folks...
    A north end patio in various forms has been there since the first season and they never have controlled it in the manner you describe. It's never had any issues as far I remember.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, given the camera security MLSE has all over the stadium, I'm pretty darn sure they can count how many people are where. These people run venues. They are not amateurs.

Secondly, your use of Hillsborough in this arguement is ill advised. I had a cousin at Hillsborough in the stand above helping pull people up to safety. There is no comparison.

I understand your concerns. Disagree. That part of the venue has a potential to become a good aspect of the night.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-08-2016 at 08:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    First of all, given the camera security MLSE has all over the stadium, I'm pretty darn sure they can count how many people are where. These people run venues. They are not amateurs.

Secondly, your use of Hillsborough in this arguement is ill advised. I had a cousin at Hillsborough in the stand above helping pull people up to safety. There is no comparison.

I understand your concerns. Disagree. That part of the venue has a potential to become a good aspect of the night.
    OgtheDim
    I am a huge fan of interacting with you in this forum, I sit in section 220 and would enjoy meeting you face to face at a game one day.

I do not wish to accuse anyone of amateurism. If our safety is being watched, ok, but then the staff person at the stop of the stairs seems ceremonial - no communication device that I could see and therefore would be just another person in an emergency.
    I respect your feelings and the wisdom you have displayed time and time again. I respect and salute your cousin. I understand your sensitivity on the matter. The recent news has brought back memories for me too. I lived (for a year) in Thatcher's England and attended games at many grounds and felt the crush and the surge and the snarl of the cops. I think my lack of team colours and my shocking (to them) Canadian accent got me out of trouble a few times. I will withdraw my Hillsborough comparison, most respectfully, but it was not made glibly.

Yes, it has the potential to be a good aspect of the night, but so does the beer tent and concert stage at Hillside Festival. I have seen the latter closed due to overcrowding. I stated in my original posting that I am willing to be proven wrong, but first impression was not good....

It is not the only time that I have been puzzled by BMO staffing and security. Staff guarding and preventing folks from using fire exits just steps away from our sections, for example...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really curious to see what the deal is with the season ticket holders wall, my family is definitely on there and has been a point of pride for us over teh last decade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I heard about this wall just recently, where was it located and how did someone get on it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW - there were security guys in the North patio with those little hand held counters counting how many people came in. Well they were there in the second half when I went to see some of the game from there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post

It is not the only time that I have been puzzled by BMO staffing and security. Staff guarding and preventing folks from using fire exits just steps away from our sections, for example...
    Yeah, I wondered about that. Saw a few more stairs open at the end last night.

Fair enough on the rest. Will have to find you one game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very pleased with the new reno. Roof looks intimidating. The speaker system is really good. Sideline lighting is awesome. And the stadium felt much much louder especially in the south. Could clearly hear other sections singing. With each game it's just gonna keep getting louder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys...

Here's our coverage off last night's game. If you scroll to the bottom, there are some pretty cool photos http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/07...-new-bmo-field

Thanks,
    Larson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts haven't changed after seeing the stadium for the first time - and this is based on what Leiwike originally said he wanted the roof for (keeping noise in and keeping people dry):

East stand is impressive and intimidating. The roof is large and did hold some of the noise in, especially higher up. Most in the east will be dry with significant rain.

West stand is way to high, won't keep any sound in and will only keep those in the middle third dry with any significant rain and wind blowing it easterly or westerly.

South is still just bizarre. I didn't hear any more sound and nothing stayed in the south end. I doubt anybody will stay dry unless the rain is falling directly downwards and then only those in, say, rows 10 to 16 might keep dry.

I don't see the roof as doing anything much for the fans, its really more of a marketing ploy and designed based on bottom line than fan enjoyment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by German21 View Post
    field side seating on the east side has been a BMO blue for at least a season if not two now. Nothing new.
    Those custom high back seats are new, purposely chosen in 'blue' seats . Hence the touch of blue maybe forever in our uniforms . East side stands simply are best 'roofed' and helped capture all the atmosphere . I could actually here the supporters on the second level chanting above us lower . The others sides would presume that may not be the case .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. No protection for the accessible section is shameful. They shld allow u to use umbrellas up there.

Thet just had to lowe the roof a few ft and extend a bit. I know it.may be temp until next reno but its Silliness and disrespectful.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post

West stand is way to high, won't keep any sound in and will only keep those in the middle third dry with any significant rain and wind blowing it easterly or westerly.

Uh, it did keep the sound in. As for dry, we'll see.

The noise is WAY more then in the past. Maybe you didn't heat it in 113 but its significantly louder for people in the east and west.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-08-2016 at 11:07 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Those custom high back seats are new, purposely chosen in 'blue' seats ..

No.

Go back and look at the highlights from last season. Blue high backs.

The years before that were blue tables.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Ok so I got my answer about the roof coverage in the accessible row at the top of the south end now. The roof does absolutely nothing. Got rained on today even though it was just a little. Any real rainfall will soak us still. What a load of shit. Biggest accessible section in the stadium and they leave it exposed. Sucks. Whoever planned that part are asses.
    It's the way it is in order to keep BMO Field expandable for big events. No choice, really. That is, unless you don't want BMO to be expandable.