Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if the south stands are going to be retracting anymore? I read that all they are going to do now is just configure the field differently at least for CFL football from what I read. Therefore , they are really changing the original plan to save money it seems.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 11-06-2015 at 03:41 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a video I stumbled on. Around the 5 minute mark the north looks to be updated:

https://vimeo.com/113660049
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    Sound box stadiums are always best hands down. Unfortunately we won't have one. Now that Bmo is Argos house and other events venue, is there a chance they plan to build another soccer specific stadium somewhere in GTA? Could be a possibility. A long shot but you never know
    MLSE are going to have put 200+ mil into BMO, unless someone else is building the thing we won't be moving any time soon.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Tim Horton's field is actually quite a nice stadium, good sight lines and amenities.

I saw the Pan Am Soccer finals there. Nothing intimate about it. The open ends really kill that vibe. It draws your focus outside the stadium.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Here is a video I stumbled on. Around the 5 minute mark the north looks to be updated:

So Just thinking about the patio and how it'll factor in during the games.

If it's sunny, people will go there. Not sure why - but people seem to love to sit on a patio and not pay attention to the match. we saw it the first few seasons at BMO
    However, when it rains, people will end up staying in their seats. Currently the North end was the only place with cover to watch the match. Now your seats are the only things covered. lol

So I guess that's a bonus.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh I'd like to add a suggestion here - not that MSLE reads the boards anymore, but

- In the concession area, when the 12 minute intermission is up, there should be some sort of audible notification to tell people to go back to their seats. They did it in a few stadium I went to in England and they also do it at the opera house in Toronto. Really works well IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the video Phil posted...

Patio

What looks like and extra tier of temp seating in the south

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The supports were being worked on before the season ended.
    Exactly. I'm not sure why people are doubting that construction of the roofs will happen, given that it's already started!

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I'm wondering if the south stands are going to be retracting anymore? I read that all they are going to do now is just configure the field differently at least for CFL football from what I read. Therefore , they are really changing the original plan to save money it seems.
    Good question. We haven't heard much about the first 6 or 8 rows of the south being modified since they made the Argo deal, somehow cutting the renovation costs, and the CFL agreeing to play on a somewhat shorter field than usual.

It's my theory that changing to the shorter field, has made it possible to leave the south stands alone, thus saving money. But there's been little communication.
    Last edited by nfitz; 11-06-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last i heard the front 6-8 rows would be removable for the other thing. Will not retract but would be taken out of the stadium, my info is a few months old now so who knows what the plan is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is there any construction actually going on right now? I see a crane there but it's not even close to the stadium. don't see any workers either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Construction my not actually start going full tilt til tomorrow or Monday. I'll give a report as I will be in bmo tonight picking up the kings drums from storage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    So is there any construction actually going on right now? I see a crane there but it's not even close to the stadium. don't see any workers either.
    They have to bring in all their trailers, machines, and fence off the area before they start. They're also going to bring in a lot of the materials needed first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    Can't they just do some kind of temporary seating in the north end instead of leaving it looking like a piece of shit?

Also, is the roof in the south end really gonna be that high? No way will the acoustics be taken advantage of.

Well if BMO was a Soccer stadium both those point would have been addressed but BMO is now a multi purpose stadium so the canopy is that high on the south end for extra seating for the Grey cup and outdoor hockey games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My home team in England, Oxford - has a 3 sided stadium. BMO is going to be much the same, albeit bigger. Trust me, guys, a 3 sided stadium is not fun, even with a roof. You always lose a bunch of atmosphere without that fourth end. Plus we are staring at the Gardiner which isn't exactly beautiful!

The Oxford stadium, for reference and comparison:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

I hate to break it you but this video is 11 months old and was the previous renovation rendering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Oh I'd like to add a suggestion here - not that MSLE reads the boards anymore, but

- In the concession area, when the 12 minute intermission is up, there should be some sort of audible notification to tell people to go back to their seats. They did it in a few stadium I went to in England and they also do it at the opera house in Toronto. Really works well IMO
    This is a great idea.

But my cynical side says I doubt they do it, because it would mean a few less people buying from concessions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I hate to break it you but this video is 11 months old and was the previous renovation rendering.
    Correct, however, contrast the end of the video to the end of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfXwBxqu4M

And you'll see where Phil is coming from.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Correct, however, contrast the end of the video to the end of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfXwBxqu4M

And you'll see where Phil is coming from.
    Aaaahhhhh. What the hell! Illuminati!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard North Patio to be a hosting area, but have now heard they may charge admission to this Standing only section to make up for lost funds from North Stands.

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcp-ip View Post
    I heard North Patio to be a hosting area, but have now heard they may charge admission to this Standing only section to make up for lost funds from North Stands.
    Don't doubt you but the lost rev from the north stand should be coming from the entity that forced them to take down the north end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the F O waiting for..typical mlse treating the fan base like shite.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Don't doubt you but the lost rev from the north stand should be coming from the entity that forced them to take down the north end.
    I agree 100% with you, but that entity A. Makes no money B. Spends no money.

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roofs would be much better if they at least closed in the backs, when it rains it usually comes sideways. With the huge gap between the south end and the roof means people could still maybe getting wet, and the wind will still rip through the stadium. Closing in the back will help a lot.

Now say we have no North Stand next year, and a big open gap between roofs and the actual stands, this may not mean renovations and such can not be added after this year. I know a lot of people are mad that we don't have everything we want right away, but things like closing in the gaps between the roofs and the stands could probably be easily renovated in the future, and maybe a new North Stand in the future could be added a few years down the road to accomodate the new size of the fields. I know there is a lot of complaints, but this stadium is a big improvement from 2007 years as we never had any kind of roof and no North Stand, the stadium was so much more flimsy then it is today. Sometimes I find a bit to much complaining on here. We like to come up with ideas how to improve the stadium, but by no means will BMO be the worst stadium in MLS next year. Maybe a bit of a exaggeration here guys on how shitty the stadium is going to be. It won't be no Red Bull Stadium but its not bad either. The main worry I have is just make sure we don't get any dam CFL lines on are field and hope the grass can with stand the abuse, (but thats another forum). Other renovations and improvements lets hope maybe more renovations can be added.

If anyone knows England stadiums back in the 80's up till about 94 (massive renovations started around the country in 1994 for majority of the top few division clubs, many stadiums today are unrecognizable from pre date 1994), many, many stadiums had open air stadiums, odd shaped stands, uneven stands, even 2 and 3 stand stadiums. And yet some of those stadiums were louder and better atmosphere then today (tho that has more to do with fact many hardcore fans have been priced out of stadiums like Old Trafford and Emrites.) You still see some stands across Europe that are ugly and worn down, have bad site lines (some countries most stadiums have a running track around the field) but still have electric atmosphere. Lets all just see how this plays out.
    Last edited by james; 11-06-2015 at 01:55 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    My home team in England, Oxford - has a 3 sided stadium. BMO is going to be much the same, albeit bigger. Trust me, guys, a 3 sided stadium is not fun, even with a roof. You always lose a bunch of atmosphere without that fourth end. Plus we are staring at the Gardiner which isn't exactly beautiful!

The Oxford stadium, for reference and comparison:

Hmm....I suppose in Oxford you stare at your car hoping somebody isn't kicking a ball onto the roof?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a new stadium in Ireland, Like a horse shoe stadium but they managed to build it so it has a closed in feeling. They do have a tiny stand at the one end. The big roof tho makes the stadium feel kind of complete even tho the one stand is no more then a few rows. Would of been good of BMO could of invested in something like that. But that's a pipe dream.

Last edited by james; 11-06-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Here is a new stadium in Ireland, a 3 tier stadium but they managed to build it so it has a closed in feeling, Would of been good of BMO could of invested in something like that. But that's a pipe dream.

That looks nice but they don't have the Argos.
    If they did they would have to knock out one end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    That looks nice but they don't have the Argos.
    If they did they would have to knock out one end.
    depends how many yards you need. You can adjust construction and drawings depending on the size of the field you need. They may just have needed to trim a few rows of seats on the big stand, doesn't mean you couldnt of built something similar to what they built, doesn't mean they still couldn't of had a horse show shaped stadium with a roof like that, the sizes would just had to be adjusted. Issue with BMO is the stadium was already built to fit a soccer field not a CFL field. The situation with the Ireland stadium is it is surrounded by houses, you have this stadium right in some people's backyard....only issue as far as surounding structures with BMO field is you have a road behind the North Stand (well North Stand now gone) maybe causing a bit of trouble. But who is to say you can not adjust that, its not exactly a main busy road, not to mention there was quite a lot of room even behind that North Stand before you reached the road. Who says they can not still construct some sort of stand even if it is 15 yards further back? or back to the original idea maybe a movable stand? I know it might never happen, but we have to remember this is not a forever done deal stadium as if construction goes.

BC Place is not my ideal stadium as its to big for MLS. The site lines are not perfect, but I have seen much worse, even in South America and Europe, the site lines at BC Place are not that bad. Now we are dealing with the same kind of size field here, I know there are some different issues at BMO field, but who says it can never be solved?

Last edited by james; 11-06-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a new stadium in Ireland, Like a horse shoe stadium but they managed to build it so it has a closed in feeling. They do have a tiny stand at the one end. The big roof tho makes the stadium feel kind of complete even tho the one stand is no more then a few rows. Would of been good of BMO could of invested in something like that. But that's a pipe dream.

thats sooo prettyy!
    look at those viewing angles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few MLS stadiums that also have some weird 3 stand stadiums and they are not bad. I think the difference however between these stadiums and BMO field is the stadiums are still closed in. With the wide open gaps under the roofs or a wide open North Stand is what I don't like about BMO field. If they could close in the gaps with something it would make a world of difference at BMO field.

Best part about San Jose new stadium might be that they actually have a Germany like safe standing terrace behind the net on the lower deck. It is small but it look pretty cool. Could always install something like that at BMO field??? Removable standing terrace?

Portland Stadium is weird, but anyone who has seem them on TV knows the atmosphere is electric and the stadium odd stands give it character. And behind the one net they have small stands now, with a massive building behind that. Its feels and looks closed in.
    Last edited by james; 11-06-2015 at 04:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went the US Ireland match at Aviva last November and my seats were in the small end. They had to do this because of the houses across the street. The stadium is in a residential area. A very cool stadium to come upon when walking down the street, like a space ship coming down from the sky.

Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 11-06-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!