Page 44 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 2556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWJH88 View Post
    Ok back to construction... Any updated Pics or status of whats going on now that the South roof is up??
    I might pop by later on and see if there is anything new.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Was just reading about Minnesota United's new stadium plans and noticed they are wrapping the openings between the stands/roof with "Translucent PTFE building skin to protect fans from the elements".
    http://www.mnunitedfc.com/news/2016/...stadium-design

Wondering if something like this can be feasibly used for BMO as well.
    Nice find .....if it actually goes ahead , Well though out and engineered . Someone actually thought of the fans game day experience and comfort . What a concept . Hopefully their politicians and accountants don't ruin it .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    That would be awesome.
    Stands on the roof of the Food Building? Awesome? There's a rather large scoreboard in the way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Stands on the roof of the Food Building? Awesome? There's a rather large scoreboard in the way.
    Pushaw...if you can sit behind flags, surely a static object is no problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would make it similar to the new Wrigley Field rooftop experience - their new boards have messed up the views of many rooftop operators.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was there last night . They have smartly used coloured backlighting in the stands , which always works , last night it was red . It's easy to change to blue for the Argos and changes the stadiums identity .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Pushaw...if you can sit behind flags, surely a static object is no problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they can (though rarely do) show the game on the back of the screen. Think of it as a large drive-in movie - but without cars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Was just reading about Minnesota United's new stadium plans and noticed they are wrapping the openings between the stands/roof with "Translucent PTFE building skin to protect fans from the elements".
    http://www.mnunitedfc.com/news/2016/...stadium-design

Wondering if something like this can be feasibly used for BMO as well.
    Look at the gaps in the sides and corners - sound will escape!!! And the roof doesn't even cover all the seats, fans will still get wet. Typical front office BS. That stadium is a failure before anyone even has set foot in it.

</sarcasm>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't see any major updates today but found a few things to explain some ideas that have come up here. Stayed for about 2 hours but most of the pics were while the workers were on lunch. :P

First....THE TREE HAS MOVED!!:P

As for the last bits of the east/west roofs sticking out, I was wrong. My feeling is that they had waited to install those so that the cranes had space to install the south roof. The highlighted part in this picture matches the connection point for the beam in the next one. This is the southeast end.

As for those "things" sticking out on the northeast end that we thought may have been for lights or netting rigging, fairly sure that they are the final roof supports for the north side. There were quite a few beams (like in the last shot) left to go up. Once lunch ended, there were guys on lifts working at all these connection points.

The reason the northwest side doesn't have the matching parts is because they are still on the ground.

Although the virtual tour had a roof with a cream colour, it looks like it will all be the same as the south end roof. There were stacks
    of this everywhere.

As for the south roof covering the concourse, I couldn't find an angle any different/better than those others have posted. It obviously doesn't cover the entire area but from the ground, it's impossible to see if it at least covers the section for those in mobility devices. What we need is someone with a west facing condo nearby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Was there last night . They have smartly used coloured backlighting in the stands , which always works , last night it was red . It's easy to change to blue for the Argos and changes the stadiums identity .
    That is quite interesting, could be spectacular if they do it right.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy416 View Post
    Couldn't see any major updates today but found a few things to explain some ideas that have come up here. Stayed for about 2 hours but most of the pics were while the workers were on lunch. :P

First....THE TREE HAS MOVED!!:P

As for the last bits of the east/west roofs sticking out, I was wrong. My feeling is that they had waited to install those so that the cranes had space to install the south roof. The highlighted part in this picture matches the connection point for the beam in the next one. This is the southeast end.

As for those "things" sticking out on the northeast end that we thought may have been for lights or netting rigging, fairly sure that they are the final roof supports for the north side. There were quite a few beams (like in the last shot) left to go up. Once lunch ended, there were guys on lifts working at all these connection points.

The reason the northwest side doesn't have the matching parts is because they are still on the ground.

Although the virtual tour had a roof with a cream colour, it looks like it will all be the same as the south end roof. There were stacks
    of this everywhere.

As for the south roof covering the concourse, I couldn't find an angle any different/better than those others have posted. It obviously doesn't cover the entire area but from the ground, it's impossible to see if it at least covers the section for those in mobility devices. What we need is someone with a west facing condo nearby.
    THANKS FOR THE PICS MAN.... DEF PLEASED TO SOME MORE

BUT THE sad thing is that pic of the roof over the south makes me wish we didn't get one on our end... it looks ghetto and like it was made without thinking about trying to keep people even a bit safe from the elements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    But they can (though rarely do) show the game on the back of the screen. Think of it as a large drive-in movie - but without cars.

I was joking when i suggested this ... but we might see this in september ... looking at the southend roof i have no idea how they are going to get 13,000 temporary seats for winter classic, maybe 4000-5000 above the southend until they hit the roof
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-26-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mook-life View Post
    BUT THE sad thing is that pic of the roof over the south makes me wish we didn't get one on our end... it looks ghetto and like it was made without thinking about trying to keep people even a bit safe from the elements
    Think of it this way - did it make a difference before? I remember when Toronto played Vancouver in May 2011. The weather turned to complete sh*t in 10 minutes. There was a 30 minute delay tacked on to the break at the half. There was another delay in the second half before the match was officially "rained out". I was in the east stands and what kept me there the entire time, despite being BEYOND soaked, was the fact supporters in the south end were still going bonkers as if the skies were clear and sunny.

Sure it probably won't do the job during crazy storms, but will definitely help during light drizzles, and, provide some shade when the sun is out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are not for lights, net rigging or future northside roof. The are the supports for a catwalk that goes outside the roof coverage. You can see it in the 3D viewer
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-26-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think of it this way - did it make a difference before? I remember when Toronto played Vancouver in May 2011. The weather turned to complete sh*t in 10 minutes. There was a 30 minute delay tacked on to the break at the half. There was another delay in the second half before the match was officially "rained out". I was in the east stands and what kept me there the entire time, despite being BEYOND soaked, was the fact supporters in the south end were still going bonkers as if the skies were clear and sunny.

Sure it probably won't do the job during crazy storms, but will definitely help during light drizzles, and, provide some shade when the sun is out!
    I know where you are coming from, I was just expecting more what we got.... it feels and looks half assed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    These are not for lights or net rigging. The are the supports for a catwalk that goes outside the roof coverage. You can see it in the 3D viewer
    Yup, hence why I said "we thought may have been". Still, guess I was wrong about them supporting the last few roof panel beams on that end. Makes sense though as they go beyond the stands. Saw a few catwalk sections on the ground still to go up. Sorry about the error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, hence why I said "we thought may have been". Still, guess I was wrong about them supporting the last few roof panel beams on that end. Makes sense though as they go beyond the stands. Saw a few catwalk sections on the ground still to go up. Sorry about the error.
    no prob. i thought it was for lighting UNTIL i saw it on the 3D viewer the other day.
    I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to go up there, especially when its windy. i assume its for cleaning or TSN cameras

awesome job on the pictures btw
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-26-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no prob. i thought it was for lighting UNTIL i saw it on the 3D viewer the other day.
    I would want to be the guy that has to go up there, especially when its windy.

awesome job on the pictures btw
    Thanks! Ya, those guys are hardcore. Watching them go up on a lift or casually walk across a beam is nuts.

If I may ask, are we looking at the same virtual tour image? I see the catwalk sticking out but it's not supported by the objects I was referring to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! Ya, those guys are hardcore. Watching them go up on a lift or casually walk across a beam is nuts.

If I may ask, are we looking at the same virtual tour image? I see the catwalk sticking out but it's not supported by the objects I was referring to.
    yeah thats what i saw. I'm no engineer, but i don't think a catwalk can be cantilevered like that, it needs support. Thus, those extra supports on the corner posts. Also, if visualize the catwalk fully built from your picture it runs right to those supports.

I assume its to clean birdshit off the side of the roof and trusses, as the roof will soon be bird magnets.
    Maybe a guy with gun and buckshot (... if you can do that in 2016)
    can't remember how they cleaned the roof at old cne stadium
    Last edited by Onyx; 02-26-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume its to clean birdshit off the side of the roof and trusses, as the roof will soon be bird magnets.
    I thought that was what Bitchy's job was on non-game days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah thats what i saw. I'm no engineer, but i don't think a catwalk can be cantilevered like that, it needs support. Thus, those extra supports on the corner posts. Also, if visualize the catwalk fully built from your picture it runs right to those supports.
    I strongly feel we should not let the 3D virtual tour be the definitive end point. For starters, it presents the roof with a translucent material when we know now it is metal based.

On the other hand, I could be totally wrong. The south ends also have the catwalk extending out in the 3D tour but I have yet to see those similar objects on that side. Here is a pic of the south end from today. It's clear they are going to finish off the covering of the final few sections of seats, but there are no other extending points like the north side.

The blue support tower blocks out the point were talking about compared to the north side so here is shot from the southwest.

Again, I could be totally wrong. I've been lucky via work obligations to take pics and have gone back during personal time. Even paid the $14 parking fee today to be safe. The project is exciting. To be honest, I'm not a SSH but fully support TFC as a team and as an entity that brings TO together. I wish I could be a part of the south end but for years (until recently) my job would not allow that schedule wise.
    Last edited by Billy416; 02-27-2016 at 02:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to hear about your commitment to TFC, Billy.
    Just as food for thought, if you enter the Ex through the main entrance, or the east most entrance on lakeshore, you can follow princess Blvd around BMO and park on the north side, where the box office is. I've parked there for over half an hour and had no problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Glad to hear about your commitment to TFC, Billy.
    Just as food for thought, if you enter the Ex through the main entrance, or the east most entrance on lakeshore, you can follow princess Blvd around BMO and park on the north side, where the box office is. I've parked there for over half an hour and had no problems.
    You can't take Princess Blvd around BMO these days but I get your point. There weren't any collectors but I used a machine. Didn't want to take the risk. Via the ASW events I worked a couple weeks back, I heard some people got tagged. Felt $14 was better than a possible ticket. Saw a security truck a few times as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't take Princess Blvd around BMO these days but I get your point. There weren't any collectors but I used a machine. Didn't want to take the risk. Via the ASW events I worked a couple weeks back, I heard some people got tagged. Felt $14 was better than a possible ticket. Saw a security truck a few times as well.
    You turn right where its
    blocked off, and head towards the entrance of Richo. That street might not be princess Blvd, sorry if that caused confusion.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You turn right where its
    blocked off, and head towards the entrance of Richo. That street might not be princess Blvd, sorry if that caused confusion.
    Prince's Blvd.

It's named after Prince Edward in 1927. The more you know...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Prince's Blvd.

It's named after Prince Edward in 1927. The more you know...
    Technically Princes' named after both Edward and George.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Technically Princes' named after both Edward and George.

All these year's I thought the Princes' Gate was the PRINCESS Gate (after Princess Elizabeth). The educational opportunities that this board offers are endless.

....Often mistakenly called the "Princess Gates", the monumental Princes' Gates were officially opened by Princes Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII), and George (later the Duke of Kent), on August 31, 1927, during that year's CNE. The gates were built in the Beaux-Arts style to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Canadian Confederation and were originally to be called The Diamond Jubilee of Confederation Gates. The name was changed when it was found that the Princes were touring Canada the year of its dedication.[28] First to pass through the gate was a parade of 15,000 veterans in the annual Warriors' Day Parade.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drove by BMO on the Gardiner last night, it looked incredible. The massive roofs look so imposing, can't wait to see what it's like with a packed house on May 7th.