Page 50 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 2556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    So...No puckheads feel cheated out of the ACTUAL first classic being Leafs/Habs? I wonder if they'll have to do 3 of these games all vs Detroit to equal the event at the Big House(?).
    Oh, don't worry, they'll do plenty of these games...

And Toronto is moving past the Montreal rivalry (finally). Which is a good thing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Oh, don't worry, they'll do plenty of these games...

And Toronto is moving past the Montreal rivalry (finally). Which is a good thing.
    Huh? "moving past" rivalry? Okay. It's the only rivalry I consider that has any significance past sport, for me.

The only rivalry with Detroit is proximity plus border. I couldn't stand the split allegiance where I grew up in S Ontario.

Do you think these plenty of games will all be against the Red Wings or are different math ups more likely?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once they see a drop in attendance, they'll do a Buffalo one. Then Montreal. Then Ottawa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Huh? "moving past" rivalry? Okay. It's the only rivalry I consider that has any significance past sport, for me.

The only rivalry with Detroit is proximity plus border. I couldn't stand the split allegiance where I grew up in S Ontario.

Do you think these plenty of games will all be against the Red Wings or are different math ups more likely?
    I think Og is right (he usually is) there will be other teams. Besides the New Year's Day game on American TV there will be games for Canadian tv ratings against Calgary and Edmonton. Sure there'll be a game against the Habs but the hype will be far more media-driven than we want to admit.

Of all cities in Canada, Montreal is probably the one that has changed the most in the past forty years. Sure, Toronto has become a lot more international and Vancouver has changed a lot, but the Montreal we usually think of, certainly in terms of this rivalry, no longer exists. We just haven't come to grips with the fact that Quebec really did get its sovereignty-association and no longer cares about us. The Montreal of today doesn't see any difference between Toronto and Calgary.

That split allegiance you refer to in Ontario drives the rivalry with Detroit, and it helps that there's also a rivalry there in baseball and there could be one in basketball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Og is right (he usually is) there will be other teams. Besides the New Year's Day game on American TV there will be games for Canadian tv ratings against Calgary and Edmonton. Sure there'll be a game against the Habs but the hype will be far more media-driven than we want to admit.

Of all cities in Canada, Montreal is probably the one that has changed the most in the past forty years. Sure, Toronto has become a lot more international and Vancouver has changed a lot, but the Montreal we usually think of, certainly in terms of this rivalry, no longer exists. We just haven't come to grips with the fact that Quebec really did get its sovereignty-association and no longer cares about us. The Montreal of today doesn't see any difference between Toronto and Calgary.

That split allegiance you refer to in Ontario drives the rivalry with Detroit, and it helps that there's also a rivalry there in baseball and there could be one in basketball.
    The funniest part of this is that I think the same of Montreal as I do the rest of Canada - small town, nice place to visit.

Montrealers (still) think they are "big time".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also aside from that, nearly every Canadiens fan (that I know at least) does not even consider Toronto to be the main rival.....sure they want to beat the Leafs, but mostly its to do with the fact that they won't have to hear the Leaf fans after a Toronto win.....Montreal's rival is Boston....that is the team every Canadiens fan that I know HATES.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, any new pictures or construction info available?

I was in the area on the weekend, but we were on a very tight timeline so I couldn't get closer or take any pictures. BMO Field is really quite the sight on the horizon now though, all the way up to Liberty Village, King St., and beyond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    The funniest part of this is that I think the same of Montreal as I do the rest of Canada - small town, nice place to visit.

not that it really matters, but just curious why do you see Montreal as small town? they do have the 2nd biggest population in Canada still by far with 1.6 million people in its city base population, with 4.2 million including surrounding suburbs. In comparison to cities like Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg...it dwarfs them in population as cities like Calgary and Edmonton have under 1 million people in the city population and almost a non exsisting surrounding suburb population. Even compared to many cities in America, Montreal has a bigger and more densely built city base then many other cities in America that have a small city with medium to low density population but rather with a very big spread out suburban surrounding population. The city of Montreal is bigger then most in USA and Canada.

Or was I missing something and this was just meant to be a jab at Montreal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't actually use the term "ROC" though, do you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know of a link or way to watch the Discovery channel video of PCL's BMO reno's?

Unless it's the same 5min video on torontofc.com
    Last edited by aajking; 03-14-2016 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    not that it really matters, but just curious why do you see Montreal as small town? they do have the 2nd biggest population in Canada still by far with 1.6 million people in its city base population, with 4.2 million including surrounding suburbs. In comparison to cities like Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg...it dwarfs them in population as cities like Calgary and Edmonton have under 1 million people in the city population and almost a non exsisting surrounding suburb population. Even compared to many cities in America, Montreal has a bigger and more densely built city base then many other cities in America that have a small city with medium to low density population but rather with a very big spread out suburban surrounding population. The city of Montreal is bigger then most in USA and Canada.

Or was I missing something and this was just meant to be a jab at Montreal?
    Not a jab, the truth. Cities draw their borders wherever they want hence why some people disputed Toronto over taking Chicago. To me Montreal is way smaller than Toronto but I can't tell the difference b/t MTL and say Calgary.

There is Toronto and then there is the ROC (rest of Canada)

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aajking View Post
    Anyone know of a link or way to watch the Discovery channel video of PCL's BMO reno's?

Unless it's the same 5min video on torontofc.com
    Daily Planet - Supersize This week. http://www.discovery.ca/dailyplanet

You have to log in to view the content. March 11th episode, S03E251. Starts about 7:37
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for Toronto ... Montreal moved past it in hockey by the mid-1970s. I always thought the big rivalry was with Philadelphia or possibly the Islanders, when I lived in Montreal. Toronto wasn't really on anyone's radar, in the perennial basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...united.html#g1

Interesting to see the mock ups for DC's stadium right now compared to initial renders. Comparing their roof to ours, I honestly prefer our look. It's more imposing and it has a big presence on the community. Even with the huge gap in the south end, there's a uniqueness to it all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how the one official in DC compared the new renderings curb appeal to a prison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...united.html#g1

Interesting to see the mock ups for DC's stadium right now compared to initial renders. Comparing their roof to ours, I honestly prefer our look. It's more imposing and it has a big presence on the community. Even with the huge gap in the south end, there's a uniqueness to it all.
    Holy shit is that an ugly stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a jab, the truth. Cities draw their borders wherever they want hence why some people disputed Toronto over taking Chicago. To me Montreal is way smaller than Toronto but I can't tell the difference b/t MTL and say Calgary.

There is Toronto and then there is the ROC (rest of Canada)
    a city can draw a line wherever it wants and says this is the city borders. It is why cities like Phoenix claims to be bigger city with 1.5 million then San Francisco at only 850,000, but actually San Francisco only counts 122 km area compared to Phoenix 1,300 km area of land..hardly fare in comparison when San Francisco is very heavily densely built vs Phoenix mostly low density. San Francisco isn't counting its densely and medium densely built surrounding areas, because if they did, they would be much more populated then the city of Phoenix, if San Francisco counted its surrounding area of 1,300km like Phoenix did then I don't think Phoenix would be even close to San Francisco city population.

Montreal is older city (often older cities were built more densely), with a more densely built city then most cities in USA and America. Many cities in America have a small city base population (some older rust belt cities lost half there population and some even more then that to the suburb flight) while other newer cities have often been built more like a medium to low density suburban life with a small downtown city population (Houston, Phoenix, Dallas) . Calgary is not like Montreal, example Calgary is counting 825 km as the city with 1,096,000 people and density of 1,555 people per km compared to Montreal at 1.6 million people in 431 km area with a density of over 4,500 people per km area. (Montreal's density is very similar to Toronto, Toronto has 2.6 million people, but in a larger area of over 600 km area of land, but still containing a densely built population of over 4,000 people per km area). Toronto's original old city (not counting the boroughs like North York, Scarbrough, exc) probably isn't much different then Montreal's original inner city (not counting its newer surrounding boroughs) Toronto only has passed Montreal because of fast growth to the North Boroughs and surrounding suburbs. They cities main core tho probably aren't that much different. Now these facts could still be a bit misleadin about Calgary's population, as Calgary may not need to count 825km to reach 1 million people, they could be counting lots of empty land that could be future development, which could mean Calgary density would be higher if they just didn't count so much empty land as Calgary city, but main point is Montreal actually contains a densely built city that stretches a further a field then most cities in USA and Canada, it also has a big suburban population (Calgary has pretty much no suburban population) there isn't that many cities that contain over 1 and a half million people with density over 4,500 people in an area of over 400 km, meaning the city actually stretches out pretty far before it becomes suburban living.

This is all off topic and a long reply, but for some reason I like stats and stuff on cities, but Montreal surprisingly as a city base, it is one of the bigger cities in USA and Canada, many others are misleading because they include so much suburban and metro populations as if that's the main city, but they often aren't.
    Last edited by james; 03-15-2016 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Holy shit is that an ugly stadium
    The multiple times the design has been scaled back is nothing short of a bait and switch, and some DC administrators and politicians are figuring it out. I'd be irate if I was a DCU supporter. However, I'm sure their FO would say anything is better than RFK, and it would be hard to argue with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a city can draw a line wherever it wants and says this is the city borders. It is why cities like Phoenix claims to be bigger city with 1.5 million then San Francisco at only 850,000, but actually San Francisco only counts 122 km area compared to Phoenix 1,300 km area of land..hardly fare in comparison when San Francisco is very heavily densely built vs Phoenix mostly low density. San Francisco isn't counting its densely and medium densely built surrounding areas, because if they did, they would be much more populated then the city of Phoenix, if San Francisco counted its surrounding area of 1,300km like Phoenix did then I don't think Phoenix would be even close to San Francisco city population.

Montreal is older city (often older cities were built more densely), with a more densely built city then most cities in USA and America. Many cities in America have a small city base population (some older rust belt cities lost half there population and some even more then that to the suburb flight) while other newer cities have often been built more like a medium to low density suburban life with a small downtown city population (Houston, Phoenix, Dallas) . Calgary is not like Montreal, example Calgary is counting 825 km as the city with 1,096,000 people and density of 1,555 people per km compared to Montreal at 1.6 million people in 431 km area with a density of over 4,500 people per km area. (Montreal's density is very similar to Toronto, Toronto has 2.6 million people, but in a larger area of over 600 km area of land, but still containing a densely built population of over 4,000 people per km area). Toronto's original old city (not counting the boroughs like North York, Scarbrough, exc) probably isn't much different then Montreal's original inner city (not counting its newer surrounding boroughs) Toronto only has passed Montreal because of fast growth to the North Boroughs and surrounding suburbs. They cities main core tho probably aren't that much different. Now these facts could still be a bit misleadin about Calgary's population, as Calgary may not need to count 825km to reach 1 million people, they could be counting lots of empty land that could be future development, which could mean Calgary density would be higher if they just didn't count so much empty land as Calgary city, but main point is Montreal actually contains a densely built city that stretches a further a field then most cities in USA and Canada, it also has a big suburban population (Calgary has pretty much no suburban population) there isn't that many cities that contain over 1 and a half million people with density over 4,500 people in an area of over 400 km, meaning the city actually stretches out pretty far before it becomes suburban living.

This is all off topic and a long reply, but for some reason I like stats and stuff on cities, but Montreal surprisingly as a city base, it is one of the bigger cities in USA and Canada, many others are misleading because they include so much suburban and metro populations as if that's the main city, but they often aren't.
    I know Montreal very well. The density you speak of is funny b/c of all the empty lots in the DT core.

Maybe everyone is "underground" in their "Path" system as locals tell me when I remark there's no one on the streets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Montreal very well. The density you speak of is funny b/c of all the empty lots in the DT core.

Maybe everyone is "underground" in their "Path" system as locals tell me when I remark there's no one on the streets.
    My original comment wasn't really about the size of Montreal but about its significance - it doesn't have any. Which is the way the current Montreal wants it, which is quite different from the Montreal that once dominated Canada and was much much more a part of North America. But it's changed. And the propping up of this Montreal-Toronto rivalry is part of the way things were, not the way they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive been many times and usually see lots of people around...but I think the downtown core of business has suffered over the decades, the time when Quebec almost became a seperate country really had a big effect on the city as lots of businesses flead, and many never came back. While Toronto business and downtown core has been booming with skyscrapers and major condo serge (I last herd Toronto is the fastest growing city in North America), which is why Toronto if continues will really pass anything Montreal is . I think Montreal's main population tho is in the old neighbourhoods, just outside the core business area, the old neighbourhoods are actually very densely built, not tall, but compacted in small space, probably more so then Toronto's older neighbourhoods. And one interesting fact, out of subways in USA and Canada, Montreal has the 2nd most daily ridership only behind NYC, Toronto is 3rd, and Chicago is 4th (very surprising since Chicago system is much bigger then Toronto and Montreal, in fact there is quite a few cities with bigger systems then Montreal and Toronto). So Montreal does have a busy subway system because it is about the same size as Toronto's, (however that will all change once the expansion to the North of the Subway and the new Eglington LRT line that will be added into the subway system) Usually subway systems work well in densely built areas rather then low density. Anyways ya good chat
    Last edited by james; 03-16-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was down at BMO today, took a few photos. The wind was wicked, so I gave up early. I have posted proper photos one page over but I'll have to wait till I get home tomorrow night to actually post it. Not travelling with a computer
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-18-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Homes better photos now posted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I was down at BMO today, took a few photos. The wind was wicked, so I gave up early. I have one more ( a proper pano) but I'll have to wait till I get home tomorrow night to actually post it. Not travelling with a computer
    Awesome! Thank you for both the pictures and bringing the thread back on topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My original comment wasn't really about the size of Montreal but about its significance - it doesn't have any. Which is the way the current Montreal wants it, which is quite different from the Montreal that once dominated Canada and was much much more a part of North America. But it's changed. And the propping up of this Montreal-Toronto rivalry is part of the way things were, not the way they are.
    well that all said, I would say TFC's biggest rivialry is with Montreal, every dam time I go to Montreal Impact away I see fights breaking out and people getting harassed, just seems a bit more of a hatred atmosphere vs travelling to other away cities. I wouldn't say the rivalry is dead. It may have died down a bit in Hockey (partly due to both teams have a very historic history, but Toronto really has drifted off over the years because they haven't won anything since 67 and they have been dreadful for the passed decade, Montreal hasn't been much better in the passed decade). If both teams could have some good winning seasons and ended up playing each other in the playoffs...I bet the rivalry would be awaken very fast, it would be a huge, atmosphere would be electric and fans might get angry. It would really be quite something!
    Last edited by james; 03-16-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant we just keep this to the Construction Thread comments and pics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be a bit off topic but it would be cool to have the different stands named after players or coaches like at old trafford. Or if not players something else. It would be cool to make our stadium unique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    This may be a bit off topic but it would be cool to have the different stands named after players or coaches like at old trafford. Or if not players something else. It would be cool to make our stadium unique.
    In England most stands are named after the street it is on or previous players, managers and owners. Stadiums were often named after the main road it is on, the borough it is in or narrow it down to even the little neighbourhood it is in (like calling it old Trafford, which is a neighbourhood). Names of teams usually went to the name of the city/town it is in or the borough of the city it is in (example Birmingham City FC named after the city, Aston Villa is named after Aston the borough inside Birmingham City.) Or the same reason no club is called London, all are named after the boroughs and towns within London.

In our case are streets are a little oddly curving around our stadium, but we pretty much have Nova Scotia Ave, Prince Edward Island and Princes' Blvd and if there ever was a new North Stand its by Quebec Street (oh the horror of a stand named after that one).....we seem to young in history to have any stands currently named after previous players, managers or owners....maybe in the not to far future if he continues to play for us long enough we could have Sebastian Giovinco!!!
    Last edited by james; 03-16-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In England most stands are named after the street it is on or previous players, managers and owners. Stadiums were often named after the main road it is on, the borough it is in or narrow it down to even the little neighbourhood it is in (like calling it old Trafford, which is a neighbourhood). Names of teams usually went to the name of the city/town it is in or the borough of the city it is in (example Birmingham City FC named after the city, Aston Villa is named after Aston the borough inside Birmingham City.) Or the same reason no club is called London, all are named after the boroughs and towns within London.

In our case are streets are a little oddly curving around our stadium, but we pretty much have Nova Scotia Ave, Prince Edward Island and Princes' Blvd and if there ever was a new North Stand its by Quebec Street (oh the horror of a stand named after that one).....we seem to young in history to have any stands currently named after previous players, managers or owners....maybe in the not to far future if he continues to play for us long enough we could have Sebastian Giovinco!!!
    Even an updated wall of honour would be a great idea. Only Dichio and Brennen are there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even an updated wall of honour would be a great idea. Only Dichio and Brennen are there.
    We don't have any other retired players who did enough in their time here to deserve to up there. On merit neither do Brennan or Dichio but I guess the first player signed and the first goal scorer count for something.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions on that feature of BMO are....mixed shall we say.

As for stand names, success will eventually bring those, as will a sense of history. If things keep going, I suspect in 10 years they might call the West or the East stand the Seba.

Dollars to donuts, if we ever got taken over by Rogers alone, they'd call one stand the Rogers stand. And don't be surprised in 10 years if they think of calling one after Tanenbaum.