Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well probably the most famous football stadium for weird horse shoe like shape stadiums with lack of space would have to be La Bombonera as many of us know. If you can some how make a stadium feel closed in, even if 1 stand is totally off balance to the other stands doesn't mean the stadium can't be kick ass. Just a matter of if MLSE ever invest or come up with something to make BMO fields North End feel more closed in then just a complete open stand.

La Bombonera legend of making the best with the space they got.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no real problem with an open north end. I used to like it when it was like that. Always thought the north stand was just a cheap looking toss in on the stadium. Of course we'll have to see what it really looks like but it'll be full of junk booths selling crap and stuff so it won't look all barren or anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@inebriatti: The construction at @BMOField has begun. A few seats missing. #TFCLive #COYR @torontofc https://t.co/E5R0pZLdhT

I don't know how to post tweets, but there are 3 pictures attached to that tweet. This is so depressing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I saw that. Like first 5 rows of all seats in the south end are gone. Nuts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Collapsible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was only able to take 1 picture. Looks like the supports for the roof are done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    thats sooo prettyy!
    look at those viewing angles
    Look at that rake on the first tier though. That's as bad as Skydome's 100 level. Be happy our lower level has a relatively steep rake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    Yeah I saw that. Like first 5 rows of all seats in the south end are gone. Nuts
    Don't worry about it. They'll be back. They'll probably bounce better now too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    @inebriatti: The construction at @BMOField has begun. A few seats missing. #TFCLive #COYR @torontofc https://t.co/E5R0pZLdhT

I don't know how to post tweets, but there are 3 pictures attached to that tweet. This is so depressing.
    that is weird, it may all be fine and stadium could be great still, the seats may just be replaced again might be nothing to worry about. But at the same time how do they expect us fans and supporters to feel when we are kept in the dark on whats going on at BMO field not knowing what is going on with the renovations, seeing pictures like this even including South End and not knowing what the final plan is come April??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    We're gonna have a 3 sided stadium again? Why are we going backwards? lol.

Oh well.
    typical of MSLE 1 step forward 18 fucking steps back. Sorry for my belligerence but this seriously chaps my ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    How often does rain fall straight down at BMO Field? Not often.
    see the big wigs that make the $$ make decisions to continue to make $$ and not spend $$.
    Its embarrassing to be honest that we are controlled by owners who are completely football (soccer) dumb. Its almost like they make decisions on a whim after thinking about it for a day or two.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    see the big wigs that make the $$ make decisions to continue to make $$ and not spend $$.
    Its embarrassing to be honest that we are controlled by owners who are completely football (soccer) dumb. Its almost like they make decisions on a whim after thinking about it for a day or two.
    As much as I'm not happy about the Argos coming in, saying that the owners don't spend money is crazy... Unfortunately I feel like most of the time they throw money at their problems, rather than actually fix them.
    The plus side, no body complained when BMO was first built without a north stand. Also, those 7 or so thousands SSH will be offered seats in other places in the stadium, so it'll appear fuller for those that are obsessed with how the stands look on TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone is forgetting that BMO reno's were always talked about in 3 phases.
    1st phase happened last year, 2nd phase was always a roof on 3 sides.
    3rd phase was always talked about as optional phase IF the argos moved in.

Well, the Argos are moving in earlier than expected, so part of phase 3 needed to be moved up into phase 2, hence the demolition of the North stands.

I could still see the phase 3 happening where the North stands are rebuilt as retractable. They will still need that seating for all the other events they want to hold, like Winter Classic, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    ... I could still see the phase 3 happening where the North stands are rebuilt as retractable. They will still need that seating for all the other events they want to hold, like Winter Classic, etc.
    Hopefully the safe standing end being installed in Orlando will sway MLSE opinions and a retractable version will be built in BMOs North End.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    AFAIK, the roof on the west side will also be very high, and not closed at the back. That's because they're not changing or connecting anything. The new roof will float above the press boxes and above the existing mini-roof. How often does rain fall straight down at BMO Field? Not often.
    Yeah, that sucks. At least have a rain/wind screen in the gap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Yeah, that sucks. At least have a rain/wind screen in the gap.

at minimum some sort of screen to cover the gap in the south end as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    I think everyone is forgetting that BMO reno's were always talked about in 3 phases.
    1st phase happened last year, 2nd phase was always a roof on 3 sides.
    3rd phase was always talked about as optional phase IF the argos moved in.

Well, the Argos are moving in earlier than expected, so part of phase 3 needed to be moved up into phase 2, hence the demolition of the North stands.

I could still see the phase 3 happening where the North stands are rebuilt as retractable. They will still need that seating for all the other events they want to hold, like Winter Classic, etc.
    that is what I ment in an earlier post. Once this season starts and renos are done come spring that does nt mean more renovations or add on's, new stands exc can not continue the following winter or a few years from now. THe North Stand demolition is not the end of the world, they can still fix it further down the road. And we didn't have a North stand in the beginning, its not the first time we will not have a North Stand.

Biggest worry is the field, and what the hell are they doing in the South Stand with 5 tows of seats gone?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Don't doubt you but the lost rev from the north stand should be coming from the entity that forced them to take down the north end.
    Haha so funny ......there's no place for common sense here . It's apparently coming from light grey's . Not only this year........
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hmm....I suppose in Oxford you stare at your car hoping somebody isn't kicking a ball onto the roof?
    Why get out of it ?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    As much as I'm not happy about the Argos coming in, saying that the owners don't spend money is crazy... Unfortunately I feel like most of the time they throw money at their problems, rather than actually fix them.
    The plus side, no body complained when BMO was first built without a north stand. Also, those 7 or so thousands SSH will be offered seats in other places in the stadium, so it'll appear fuller for those that are obsessed with how the stands look on TV.
    I agree that MLSE & TFC usually don't have a problem spending crazy money. I think the problem here though is the Argos, owned by Tanenbaum & Bell, but not by Rogers or MLSE. The Argos are worth very little as we found out in the past few years. I always thought it was nuts, when the idea of a BMO Field reno for the Argos first came up, that the cost of just the renos for their benefit, seemed to be much higher than the total value of the franchise.

So when they really started planning the details of the Argo reno, they probably decided to go as cheap as possible on that part of the overall reno. More is just not worth it for the Argos. The attendance won't increase that much for them. I don't think you can charge crazy ticket prices for CFL either. Plus they only have a small number of home games per season. There is value for TSN/Bell as a broadcaster to keep the Argos alive, but for broadcast purposes they don't really care about stadium details.

So we end up with a cheap reno: no hybrid grass; cross your fingers the grass holds up; only minimally retractable south end; huge northward shift for Argos games; one plastic & one grass endzone; field length shorter than CFL standard; and probably a bunch of other corners cut.

RE people saying, perhaps they can replace the North Stand later: there will be very little space left in the north, due to the northward shift of the Argo's field. I don't think there is any room left for a permanent structure there. Things will be especially tight during the Ex., when the area in front of the Food Building is not available for BMO Field usage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    Hopefully the safe standing end being installed in Orlando will sway MLSE opinions and a retractable version will be built in BMOs North End.
    at least do one section at bmo.
    My guess the ML$E concern would be all the railings block line of sign when converted to regular seats for other events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    What a joke of a stadium basically looks ugly to accommodate the Argos and the other events the stadium will hosts, so in the end because of it having to be an all purpose stadium you get this ugly looking stadium in the end. The North stands are gone, so Otis now an even more open stadium, the south end roof over the stands is a joke, how much will people be protected from the elements with that big space between the stands and the canopy, the sound will escape so the stadium will not sound more noisy exspecially with the north stands gone, but MLSE still is trying to sell this BMO renovation as a great thing when it's not. The stadium has not improved it has actually been made worse with the removal of the north stand, sorry but Saputo Stadium with all it's warts is way more intimate than this new BMO will be, MLSE really thinks we are all idiots.
    I fully agree with all your views expressed here.
    This is a huge slap in the face to all those who expected after so many years to have a covered stadium with real warm atmosphere and and least a good looking one.
    Fuck you MLSE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    ...No one in their right mind would ever show this stadium as an example of a soccer stadium .
    This expresses the best my feelings about BMO field 2016.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I have no real problem with an open north end. I used to like it when it was like that. Always thought the north stand was just a cheap looking toss in on the stadium. Of course we'll have to see what it really looks like but it'll be full of junk booths selling crap and stuff so it won't look all barren or anything.
    Here are the pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes - with the Argos moving in I can't see how the CSA will keep BMO as the national "soccer" stadium? It's a multi-purpose sports facility leaving Saputo as the only soccer specific stadium at a pro level. Are the Argos in next summer? Seems to me they could be doing a lot more quickly to avoid the 7 away game start next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are actually going backwards with these argos coming in..taking out the North side.. this is ridiculous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe safe standing was ever actually seriously considered during the construction, which sucks because it would have been an olive branch to us supporters who are not really getting anything out of the stadium expansion except for a bunch of blue bullshit shoved down our throats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you look at most of the CFL stadiums you see them built with two main grandstands and with two open end zones with no stands. They were built this way with the wide open end zones on purpose, even the new CFL stadiums in Hamilton and in Ottawa are built this way, the only new CFL stadium that is built without open end zones is the new Winnipeg stadium from what I can see. The reason these CFL stadiums are built with open end zones is so that they can put temporary stands in the end zones when the Grey Cup is played in these stadiums, where capacity of these stadiums can be increases by upwards of more than 10 000 temporary end zone seats, therefore, this is what is happening at BMO with the removal of the north stand and the type of canopy being installed over the south stands, that's why the CFL apart from maybe the new Winnipeg stadium and the new one being built in Regina and of course B.C. Place has some of the ugliest stadiums in the world and now you can put BMO Field in that mix.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 11-08-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone remind me: does the roof go on in the phase or is that another project entirely? Forgive my cynicism but if it's not build into this plan I might suggest they will forget about it at a later date once all the commotion about the football team dies down.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof goes on with this phase. The supports were being worked on during the season past. There were hoardings at all 4 corners during October games.