Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nearer the completion date I'll have some work to do at the site, so I'll be able to get some photos from the field. Can't wait to do that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Nearer the completion date I'll have some work to do at the site, so I'll be able to get some photos from the field. Can't wait to do that.
    I've known you for so long... We've slept together... And I don't even know what you do. What is it that you do, Ryan?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I've known you for so long... We've slept together... And I don't even know what you do. What is it that you do, Ryan?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYYnKsNmtw

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concerning North Stand retractable or on rails: based on the diagrams I saw, showing the northward shift of the Argos field, I think there won't be much room left north of the Argos north end zone. There will be a fairly narrow passageway remaining during Argos games. No more walking in the area that was previously underneath the North Stand -- that will be turf for the Argos games.

When the gates are open towards the Food Building (like during most games) that will help a bit. But those gates were always fairly narrow, and further constricted so they could check that nobody was bringing alcohol in that direction. Perhaps those north gates will be wider after the reno, but I don't know if they're changing that at all.

They also have be ready to keep those north gates towards the Food Building closed during the CNE and similar events.

Long story short, I don't think they will have much room available to store or fold any type of structure during Argos games, that could be pulled/expanded over the Argos north end zone during TFC games. I bet that restricts what they can do there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Concerning North Stand retractable or on rails: based on the diagrams I saw, showing the northward shift of the Argos field, I think there won't be much room left north of the Argos north end zone. There will be a fairly narrow passageway remaining during Argos games. No more walking in the area that was previously underneath the North Stand -- that will be turf for the Argos games.

When the gates are open towards the Food Building (like during most games) that will help a bit. But those gates were always fairly narrow, and further constricted so they could check that nobody was bringing alcohol in that direction. Perhaps those north gates will be wider after the reno, but I don't know if they're changing that at all.

They also have be ready to keep those north gates towards the Food Building closed during the CNE and similar events.

Long story short, I don't think they will have much room available to store or fold any type of structure during Argos games, that could be pulled/expanded over the Argos north end zone during TFC games. I bet that restricts what they can do there.
    Being as the original plans involved both the north and South Stands being retractable doing this shift is the only way to make that happen.

if the original "third" phase occurs they would have to take out the South Stands and install retractable stands on both ends. I don't see Telephone Rip Off Company and Mr Christmas tree actually spending money to do that without serious protests from TFC Fans and Argos ummm... wives and family I guess and the Fords.. maybe Grimmes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Being as the original plans involved both the north and South Stands being retractable doing this shift is the only way to make that happen.

if the original "third" phase occurs they would have to take out the South Stands and install retractable stands on both ends. I don't see Telephone Rip Off Company and Mr Christmas tree actually spending money to do that without serious protests from TFC Fans and Argos ummm... wives and family I guess and the Fords.. maybe Grimmes.
    Yes of course the northward shift was due to the South Stands now only being minimally retractable, after the plan was changed. I'm just encouraging folks to have a look at the updated Argos plans (which were posted here at some point, I believe they were discussed by the CNE board). There's just not much room left up there. I suppose they could have something for TFC games which is removed & stored somewhere else, but it will make it more of a pain and less sturdy (compared for example to a structure that moves on rails and is folded up in place).

If you're worried about Bell & Co ripping us off via their phone & other services (I am), you should probably be happy they're not spending a bigger wad of cash on BMO Field. They probably realized the low value and upside of the Argos. Then they saw the high cost of the other renos such as East Side, roof, and especially the things required specifically for the Argos (turf modifications & ongoing maintenance; change rooms; and a bunch of other things). They probably realized some of their original plans & promises were unrealistic. But some of it sucks for TFC of course. Even the change from promised hybrid to natural grass & fingers crossed: it was semi-sold to us as being technically better (it's easier to swap out patches of 100% grass, or even the whole pitch, than if it's hybrid). But it's surely also partly related to cost savings.

EDIT Oh oh going somewhat off track here. Everyone else, do as I say and not as I do!
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-30-2016 at 08:24 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that people demand pics in this thread. Be careful what you ask in here.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Remember that people demand pics in this thread. Be careful what you ask in here.
    Since you asked...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went down today.

The thing is HUGE. Anywhere but downtown Toronto and you'd see it for miles.

A couple of people working on the south support.

Pics to follow when I get home.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you asked...
    Sweet pic! This be the Columbus Road trip? Let's make sure we get pics in NY!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Went down today.

The thing is HUGE. Anywhere but downtown Toronto and you'd see it for miles.

A couple of people working on the south support.

Pics to follow when I get home.

Checking the thread later. - Dont disappoint.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK

They were done on a cell phone, and because of my hand tremor I had to set the manual focus real high. And I've reduced them all by 20% from the original.

But........here goes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, its sideways........just look at like you were looking at how we normally defend.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to say something about this next shot.

You want an idea of how big this sucker is?

Remember how LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG the upper East side is? Now look at this puppy.

See those beams that go across? They are 6 feet high.

This thing is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big thanks for posting these. Been dying for pics as an update. It's going to be massive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great pics. Thanks for the update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Network admin/security/engineer.

Only been with MLSE since start of Nov, but signed on a good deal full time so I'll be there a couple more years at least.

Everything at BMO/ACC/Ricoh/Mastercard Centre/Kia Training Ground/Hershey Centre and now the new Practice Facilty for the Raps is my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great pics..thx.
    are they still missing some of the panels on each grandstand,they dont seem to be all the way to the end?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    great pics..thx.
    are they still missing some of the panels on each grandstand,they dont seem to be all the way to the end?
    I think the south end roof will be put into place first, then they will finish off the end panels on the east and west portions of the roof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    great pics..thx.
    You can see the slots where the last outside truss goes below. I think they are waiting for the large crossbeam to be built first, then they will put it up. The roof goes right to the pillars far outside the stand in the mock-up pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx guys...thats what i was thinking also

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the pictures OtD, those are awesome!

What I find most amazing: the width & depth of the roof sections, all supported by the one support beam across the top, and the triangular columns at the ends of the stadium. No supports at the front edges or front corners of the roof either. Amazing considering wind loads, snow loads, etc.

I wonder what they will do with the snow, since the lowest part of the roof is not at the edge? (Good thing too, you wouldn't want snow & ice sliding off that baby, falling onto the spectators or players below.) Will they send someone up there with a roof rake? Or some kind of heating system in the roof to melt the snow & ice?

BTW I think from now on we can blame Ryan if the WiFi at BMO doesn't work for the journos; if the audio doesn't work during press conferences; and so much more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Network admin/security/engineer.

Only been with MLSE since start of Nov, but signed on a good deal full time so I'll be there a couple more years at least.

Everything at BMO/ACC/Ricoh/Mastercard Centre/Kia Training Ground/Hershey Centre and now the new Practice Facilty for the Raps is my world.
    Is some sort of ruggedized router setup for stadium wifi for the public being installed?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice shooting Og. Those images really give us a strong sense of the scale and size of the roof. The way the roof slopes back from the pitch-side edges, it looks like it's designed to draw rain water or melted snow towards the middle, where there must be drains to remove it. Wonder if they have a water recycling system to use it on the pitch. Or toilets.

After seeing how the Minnesota Vikings are covering one side of the roof on their new indoor stadium with translucent plastic panels, I can't help but wonder if that would be do-able here. It would let light through but not create distinct shadow patterns on the field.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you asked...
    What a great time that was, must have still been sleeping it off in the other room.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!