Page 33 of 86 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Devang Desai also has a write up on the pitch.

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02...itch-bmo-field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    So if there was a significant downpour in more than 1 Argos game, we'd be out of reserve pitches? And what if it rains more than that?
    Well, there are scenarios where the pitch will be destroyed. Repeated apocalyptic rain storms every CFL football game will do that.

I don't think it's fair to expect a grounds crew to do the impossible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Hey guys, for those concerned about the grass at BMO Field, I spoke with BMO Field's head groundsman yesterday http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/05...g-the-pressure
    Kurt - was there any discussion about the potential damage to the sideline/touchline area of the field where the CFL coaches and players stand? Because the CFL pitch is narrower that area will be on the soccer pitch. Do you know if they plan to cover this area for Argos games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    Kurt - was there any discussion about the potential damage to the sideline/touchline area of the field where the CFL coaches and players stand? Because the CFL pitch is narrower that area will be on the soccer pitch. Do you know if they plan to cover this area for Argos games?
    I specifically asked Heggie about that. He didn't seem concerned. Said there are plans to tarp the football sideline in a way that will prevent cleats from contacting the grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if there was a significant downpour in more than 1 Argos game, we'd be out of reserve pitches? And what if it rains more than that?
    2 inches is 50mm. Toronto Averages 831mm of precipitation (including snowfall) a year.

So the odds of getting two storms on two separate days the Parasites play dumping 14% of Toronto's total annual rainfall during game play (7% each time)... is fairly unlikely. It happening even once a year isn't overly likely. 2 inches of Rain is a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontofc.ca/gallery/pict...e-2-renovation

Some pictures posted by TFC. A look at the south canopy also.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That includes the first good pic of the south end. Relevant to people in here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I can tell, two inches of rain during an Argos game would essentially signal what Heggie called an emergency. They'd basically bring in an entirely new pitch from Hamilton overnight. That pitch would need 3-4 days to settle. That's why it's key TFC/Argos got the schedules needed.
    What are the chances of that though? Looking through recent rainfall data, there hasn't been a day with anywhere close to 2 inches of rain since July 8 2013, when we got 3.5 inches, and broke the record from 1954 - http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...ronto/15070831

Before that the previous storm with 2 inches was in 2010.

There have been some very intense short storms during games at BMO back in 2011, but they've both also involved lightening, and would have stopped play for a CFL game. The suction system would have pretty much removed all the water by the time it was safe to resume (as we also saw at that game this summer just before kickoff, which was very intense, but by the time they kicked off, the water was gone from the pitch).

So with only two 2-inch storms in the last 5 years, I think we don't have to worry that we've only got 2 backup pitches! If there's really a 3rd event, perhaps they can dig up one of the pitches on the KIA training ground!

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That includes the first good pic of the south end. Relevant to people in here.
    Look at that pitch! We could have played all winter this year!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    2 inches is 50mm. Toronto Averages 831mm of precipitation (including snowfall) a year.

So the odds of getting two storms on two separate days the Parasites play dumping 14% of Toronto's total annual rainfall during game play (7% each time)... is fairly unlikely. It happening even once a year isn't overly likely. 2 inches of Rain is a lot.
    We got 2 game days like that last season. So we've already had our apocalypse.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to watch them raise the roof on the South stand.

Be nice to get some notice as to when they'll do it and then head down to watch.

Could be a lot of rubbernecking by drivers on the Gardiner that day!
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drove by BMO Field on the Gardiner yesterday morning, damn what a sight, it's looking super badass...it's really going to pop from a skyline perspective with the added mass. There's no ignoring it now...we have a major source of advertising just having the thing next to the Gardiner with the TFC logo prominently displayed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurt

was there any wind analysis done?

With the lower south end roof, will taht affect the ball as it rises past it's elevation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We got 2 game days like that last season. So we've already had our apocalypse.
    Well no we had a lot of rain but not 50mm. A storm dropping that much rain is something that happens once every few years.. short of multiple hurricanes it isn't really isn't a thing that should happen even twice in 18 months. It could happen.. it is just not very likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I specifically asked Heggie about that. He didn't seem concerned. Said there are plans to tarp the football sideline in a way that will prevent cleats from contacting the grass.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for reference - June 27th game last season 37.2 mm of rain at Toronto Island.

So, yeah, 50mm not happening very often.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so pumped up for the first Argos game at BMO Field, was at the last Argos game on the EX grounds in 1988, so its coming full cricle.

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin10000 View Post
    Devang Desai also has a write up on the pitch.

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02...itch-bmo-field
    What is going on here?

In this article he starts and ends with Wembley comparisons. Wembley has a different surface. Hybrid Desso. They decided NOT to go with it. People should know this.

I mean I get they are putting their best foot forward in presentation but c'mon. Simply saying "Wembley" over and over shouldn't be good enough for support. Supporters have been chastising Wembleys groundshare qualities for years now.

SO

Either avoid the comparison or fast forward to the bit where they aren't confident in the present schemes durability and call it "the experiment before we switch to Desso next year."

I know they can't present this season as a surface experiment but that's what it is. Every other shared stadium they referenced in that article has had poor groundshare cases.

Ending with a positive I'll say I'm happy for the grounds keeping crew who seems ready for a challenge. They got one.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I am so pumped up for the first Argos game at BMO Field, was at the last Argos game on the EX grounds in 1988, so its coming full cricle.
    I am so pumped for the last game of the Argos at BMO field. I was at the first TFC game at BMO field when they didn't groundshare. It was awesome.

You are TFC's target market CB.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 02-05-2016 at 01:38 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I am so pumped for the last game of the Argos at BMO field. I was at the first TFC game at BMO field when they didn't groundshare. It was awesome.

In general I am looking forward to outdoor football, but in reality after having gone to the Euro qualifer a Wembley a year ago November, man the field looked like crap, NFL logos and all, so only time will tell how the BMO Field will hold up. My fear is if this can happen under the watch of the sacred FA then it can happen anywhere.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is MLSE reached out to Wembley for paint recommendations. In terms of the pitch, Wembley is a hybrid surface, which Heggie (in the story) told me "will always play well" but won't always look pleasing to the eye. Found it interesting that he took that into consideration. He wants the pitch to look good and play good.
    yeah I get that there are differences, but even referring to that disaster that was Wembley last year doesn't inspire confidence
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is going on here?

In this article he starts and ends with Wembley comparisons. Wembley has a different surface. Hybrid Desso. They decided NOT to go with it. People should know this.

I mean I get they are putting their best foot forward in presentation but c'mon. Simply saying "Wembley" over and over shouldn't be good enough for support. Supporters have been chastising Wembleys groundshare qualities for years now.

SO

Either avoid the comparison or fast forward to the bit where they aren't confident in the present schemes durability and call it "the experiment before we switch to Desso next year."

I know they can't present this season as a surface experiment but that's what it is. Every other shared stadium they referenced in that article has had poor groundshare cases.

Ending with a positive I'll say I'm happy for the grounds keeping crew who seems ready for a challenge. They got one.
    The article is about the paint not the turf surface, is it not?

Supaturf is an Australian owned and operated company that develops and distributes line marking machines, accessories and liquids for turf (such as sport fields, courts, and residential lawns) and hard surfaces.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Jesus Christ man, really?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahaha! I love this post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I might go to Argos first game at BMO just to see how much damage they're doing to the pitch and just cry inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely not going to be enjoying it

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't get so hung up about the exactly 2 inches of rain. Damage could happen at lower amounts of rain. E.g., a section of the pitch gets replaced due to bigger damage; then a couple of TFC & Argos games in a row, each with decent rainfall, and before the previous repair has really taken root. We shall see. It's good to read that they seem to be trying hard.

Yeah the Wembley comparison was weird. Yes they mostly asked Wembley for input RE the paint. But the closing statement in the Devang Desai article is:
    “Everyone in Toronto is worried about it, but the head groundskeeper, the guy that should be, isn’t,” he said. “I see us as good as Wembley Stadium now. There’s nothing they haven’t bought me that they would buy for Wembley. It’s game time. Let’s see what we can do.”
    Wembley isn't good enough in terms of ground share with gridiron. It was not just a matter of the pitch not looking good after the NFL game; the surface was literally in bad shape & not well playable for the next footy game. I know they have a different surface there (hybrid) -- but it's just a problematic/useless statement to make, when footy fans know about the actual Wembley problems.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    I think I might go to Argos first game at BMO just to see how much damage they're doing to the pitch and just cry inside.
    That sounds like an incredible waste of time.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    That sounds like an incredible waste of time.
    lol true that... with the price of admission frown in there, that would really be a waste

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    lol true that... with the price of admission frown in there, that would really be a waste
    Yes. Please don't contribute to their kitty. We'll be able to see any issues from the following TFC game. Be it there at the grounds or on tv.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I wouldn't get so hung up about the exactly 2 inches of rain. Damage could happen at lower amounts of rain. E.g., a section of the pitch gets replaced due to bigger damage; then a couple of TFC & Argos games in a row, each with decent rainfall, and before the previous repair has really taken root. We shall see. It's good to read that they seem to be trying hard.

Yeah the Wembley comparison was weird. Yes they mostly asked Wembley for input RE the paint. But the closing statement in the Devang Desai article is:

Wembley isn't good enough in terms of ground share with gridiron. It was not just a matter of the pitch not looking good after the NFL game; the surface was literally in bad shape & not well playable for the next footy game. I know they have a different surface there (hybrid) -- but it's just a problematic/useless statement to make, when footy fans know about the actual Wembley problems.
    Hate to sound like a jackass but do they? Do footy fans know? I really hope so but how many times I had to hear the Real Madrid argument about surface was pretty sad.

If it's good enough for Real Madrid then it's ok by me.
    Except no gridiron is played there.

Now switch RM with Wembeley and here we are. Making references that don't apply to make it sound bigtime. It's not even the fact that THEY ARE COMPARING TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF SURFACES as if they are the same but then using the hours of use as if its comparable.

So Wembley has double or triple the hours of use - what type of use? It sure as hell isn't HALF GRIDIRON.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 02-05-2016 at 03:42 PM.