Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The mystery of Osorio and the CMNT

Hope this is the correct part of the forum to post this...

Is Floro incompetent? Idiot? Did Osorio/TFC do something personally against Floro? I haven't seen the line-up being called up but for the qualifiers it obviously has to be our best who are healthy and playing regular soccer.

This has been an issue all year. Osorio not getting call ups. I saw a interview with Osorio saying he had no idea why he wasn't getting selected. In terms of form, I thought Osorio improved greatly this season.

In terms of depth our old friend Bekker has been called up all year, not sure if he has been selected for the qualifier however. Until we have that list it is difficult to tell.

What is going on in the CMNT camp?
    Last edited by pdubs; 11-03-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio either looked at Floro the wrong way during the Gold Cup or Floro thinks he doesn't fit in whatever midfield shape he wants.

Either way it's pure lunacy on Floro's part. There's no defending him on this. We're going to be missing one of our best players for games that actually really matter. Ridiculous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally don't understand it either, it the current state the the Canadian national team is in, how could he be so picky and ommit a good young Canadian like Jonathan but he has a hard on for Kyle Bekker for some reason.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think oso starts for Canada yet (hutch and Johnson in the middle) but I don't really see who we have that's a better CM with an attacking mind to come off the bench?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Oso threw a bit of a fit after being subbed off at the Gold Cup. That's the only reason I can see for him not being included in the squad - an exile from the team as punishment (for how long who knows?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    I think Oso threw a bit of a fit after being subbed off at the Gold Cup. That's the only reason I can see for him not being included in the squad - an exile from the team as punishment (for how long who knows?)
    Surely we want that type of passion playing for the national team? If a player is subbed and doesn't give a hoot, then we shouldn't be picking him.

Oso has the quality to be playing. He's better than Bekker in all fronts. It's a mystery to me that he isn't even in the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He gets regular, important, first team minutes and is only 23 years old. 84 or so MLS games under his belt.

Really curious on that roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As noted above, I attribute it entirely to the fit that he threw after getting subbed off. Pure speculation, of course, but perhaps he had a few words for Floro over the team's performance at the Gold Cup, which was simply atrocious. Much of that was attributable to the bizarre decisions Floro made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My take is that it's an attitude problem with Oso all the way.

I conclude this from 2 experiences I had this summer. I had run into Oso down on Bloor street and upon approaching him we only exchanged a few words and he continued walking on wanting none of it. My girlfriend who works in PR was with me and was particularly appalled at how he handled it given she deals with people like this all the time and at the end of the day he's Jonathan Osorio and not Brad Pitt. It was far from professional. Frankly, I was surprised by this encounter. I had bumped into him before at Mississauga Soccer Club and he seemed like a decent young man.

I didn't think too much of this interaction UNTIL I ran into Steven Caldwell at a social gathering. He took time out from the suits he was with to have a genuine conversation with my girlfriend and I and even minutes later when he was being pulled away he made a point to come back over and send us off with a proper goodbye. It was the true picture of class and that night I gained all the respect in the world for him and it was such a contrast from my encounter with Oso. That was the picture of a true professional and it was that night I realized how much of a boy Oso really was.

Don't get me wrong I was surprised because it would at least appear that Oso tries to be involved with SGs which lead me to believe he was a personable guy but from my experience he was anything but. The CR game seems to corroborate this to a certain degree.

I am very critical of Oso on field. I feel he lacks all the confidence in the final 3rd and that he cost this team points all season long because of that and in the playoff game vs MTL too. He is a good young player but he has a ways to go in his development. Being excluded from the NT doesn't bother me as much as the majority here. He'll get there again but to me it's clear that there's growth needed both on and off field for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm inclined to agree it's an attitude thing. Not saying it's the right call, but it makes sense from that perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

I conclude this from 2 experiences I had this summer. I had run into Oso down on Bloor street and upon approaching him we only exchanged a few words and he continued walking on wanting none of it. My girlfriend who works in PR was with me and was particularly appalled at how he handled it given she deals with people like this all the time and at the end of the day he's Jonathan Osorio and not Brad Pitt. It was far from professional. Frankly, I was surprised by this encounter. I had bumped into him before at Mississauga Soccer Club and he seemed like a decent young man.

I didn't think too much of this interaction UNTIL I ran into Steven Caldwell at a social gathering. He took time out from the suits he was with to have a genuine conversation with my girlfriend and I and even minutes later when he was being pulled away he made a point to come back over and send us off with a proper goodbye. It was the true picture of class and that night I gained all the respect in the world for him and it was such a contrast from my encounter with Oso. That was the picture of a true professional and it was that night I realized how much of a boy Oso really was.

Don't get me wrong I was surprised because it would at least appear that Oso tries to be involved with SGs which lead me to believe he was a personable guy but from my experience he was anything but. The CR game seems to corroborate this to a certain degree.

I am very critical of Oso on field. I feel he lacks all the confidence in the final 3rd and that he cost this team points all season long because of that and in the playoff game vs MTL too. He is a good young player but he has a ways to go in his development. Being excluded from the NT doesn't bother me as much as the majority here. He'll get there again but to me it's clear that there's growth needed both on and off field for him.

2 different scenarios - one is a person that just retired and is a TFC Amabassador and 1 is a much younger person on their personal time - give him some respect and let him enjoy his day
    -admittedly, you are critical of him and why do a 20 questions on the street to someone -it wold rub anyone the wrong way -shake his hand, take a pic and thank him for his efforts

I have nothing but good conversations and encounters at ACC, BMO Field and walking around Toronto when I meet up with Osorio.

As for the Cdn Men's Call ups - he belongs there - when it comet time I am confident Osorio will be there.

Osorio - lots of playing time, alongside Bradley and Giovinco with Altidore and Cheyrou around him
    Bekker - got nowhere near as much playing time

So if we are to have some depth in the Cdn Men's Squad, Bekker needs the playing time now to be able to be counted on when we need him.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, "social gathering" and "on the street" couldn't be more dissimilar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he could be the biggest dick, but his on fielf performance deserves a call up

by that logic bekker must be Jesus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've met Osorio a few times in all different situations (social event, work, on the street), and he was great guy, down to earth, and really respect/appreciative of the supporters - and his place playing professional soccer for a living...

The negative situation above I'm sure, based on my experience with him, was just a bad day. We all have them.

As for keeping a player off the roster b/c of a momentary tantrum, or even maybe being bitter is STUPID. You need your best players on the roster. If you want to punish said player for that - do it physically with wind sprints, long drills, footwork, b/c at the end of the day everyone wins. The best players are on the roster, and young player works hard at his craft.

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeGuy View Post
    2 different scenarios - one is a person that just retired and is a TFC Amabassador and 1 is a much younger person on their personal time - give him some respect and let him enjoy his day
    -admittedly, you are critical of him and why do a 20 questions on the street to someone -it wold rub anyone the wrong way -shake his hand, take a pic and thank him for his efforts
    I get what you're saying, however, it was far from a game of 20 questions. My interaction was "Hey Oso, congrats on the big win last night and the sweep of Orlando" (TFC had just beat Orlando for the 3rd time the night before). I was hardly pandering him or going about like some preteen HEY OSO CAN I HAVE A SELFIE WITH YOU!! Frankly I'm a shy person and for whatever reason, be it that I'm shy or whatnot I feel silly asking players to take pictures. At that point I would feel like a nuisance. My only expectation from an encounter like this was to at the very least stop and take a second to show some gratitude although admittedly he at least acknowledged what I had said. Like you said though, would it really kill to stop and shake a supporters hand? Regardless of on the street or not these people are athletes and no matter where they go they are ALWAYS ambassadors of the club. It comes with the job. They're normal people too, I get it, but the public eye comes with being an athlete. Period.
    Last edited by Smokecell; 11-03-2015 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    he could be the biggest dick, but his on fielf performance deserves a call up

by that logic bekker must be Jesus
    This is my crux right here. Osorio might not be ready idk but he is light years ahead of Bekker. All year Bekker got called up ahead of Osorio.

Very curious to see final roster for the qualifiers. If Bekker is called up... I just don't know.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floro will take us down the road to obscurity .....typically Canadian mgmt enjoying the money and useless . I guess I'll be dead before we get serious . Talent before hurt egos . Just once in this country with mans team , even TFC I'd like to see some emotionally killer instinct and coaches who realize you can't win without it .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thing with Osario, is while much more skilled, and with a much better sense of the game then Bekker, is that he is not a defensive mid, and he is not even solid enough defensively to be a true two way mid, he is a cm with more attacking ability but is not quite the offensive player to be an AM/SS, which I think does make him a hard fit for many teams. With our squad he is usefull, because we can pair him with more defensive minded mids, and he can help the attack but does not have to be the focus of finish or creativity.

Having said all of that I still think that tallent wise he is too good not to be on the national team.
    Last edited by trane; 11-04-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    My thing with Osario, is while much more skilled, and with a much better sense of the game then Bekker, is that he is not a defensive mid, and he is not even solid enough defensively to be a true way mid, he is a cm with more attacking ability but is not quite the offensive player to be an AM/SS, which I think does make him a hard fit for many teams. With our squad he is usefull, because we can pair him with more defensive minded mids, and he can help the attack but does not have to be the focus of finish or creativity.

Having said all of that I still think that tallent wise he is too good not to be on the national team.
    if that was the case, Floro will just tell us, or tell Osario taht what he needs to work out

leaving him off for no apparent reason isnt helping anyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no mystery here. Floro is an idiot and this isn't the first young player he's had run-ins with.

He is basically Aron Winter operating under the guise of being an un-questionable expert (who achieves nothing).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    My thing with Osario
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    if that was the case, Floro will just tell us, or tell Osario
    He's a regular in our starting XI, come on guys, we can do this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    He's a regular in our starting XI, come on guys, we can do this!
    one day one day, damn row 11 seats i cant see their jerseys anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.. Regardless of on the street or not these people are athletes and no matter where they go they are ALWAYS ambassadors of the club. It comes with the job. They're normal people too, I get it, but the public eye comes with being an athlete. Period.
    Thks for clarifying - you are correct as well.

---and that line above applies to all

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you ran into the guy and he didn't want to talk to you, and somehow in your brain that translates into "he cost the team points." Man, did you ever just consider he was having a bad day? Because collectively he was probably our second-best player this season.

Floro is an idiot. This isn't Europe; when a guy gets pissed for being pulled here, you take it as a sign of passion, not poor discipline. That he calls up Kyle Bekker and leaves Oso off the squad just convinces me he's past it and should go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a couple of personal observations.

I've spoken with Oso many times and always found him to be okay. The scenario above makes me think bad day but it is also somewhat indicative of play on the field.

Since his injury last year (I think) he has changed his style a bit. Over the last 18 or so months, I've noticed that he's tried harder to be a difference maker on the field. The focus of attention. He's tried a bunch of nifty little moves to get free in right areas. And then makes a high risk pass that blows the play. He's also tried to take on 4 guys and ends up losing the ball and causing the transition rush, often poorly timed, leaving the defensive minded mids hung out to dry.

For the first few weeks of this season I thought he was amongst our poorest performers, which was reflected in his playing time. He improved over the course of the year.

At times, he's a serviceable player. When he tried to do too much, which is happening too frequently, he becomes an "I" guy. I'm not sure if this approach came from an inflated role on the CMNT or at TFC, but it has appeared to have happened.

We've got Giovinco, Altidore and Bradley to be our main guys. Oso is a decent player, but he needs to work with those guys, not in isolation. Just watch Giovinco's reactions to him during games - the look is more of contempt than anything else.

Ultimately I don't think he's been a good team guy, and Canada needs a solid team approach to win. We don't know what he's like in the locker room and what influence, if any, he has on others, especially younger guys. I don't blame Floro for taking that approach when he's been using a younger team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So you ran into the guy and he didn't want to talk to you, and somehow in your brain that translates into "he cost the team points." Man, did you ever just consider he was having a bad day? Because collectively he was probably our second-best player this season.
    In exactly what way did I relate my run in to his on field performance? Not sure where you're pulling that from.

Oso was definitely not the second best player this season. If you watch games carefully it's painfully obvious that the kid has no confidence in his abilities. In probably 30 of the 34 games you'll see at least once per game that he gets himself into an excellent position to crack one on net and instead hesitates for a few seconds (which is an eternity in football) and continues to lay the ball off to Seba or Bradley who are never in a more advantageous position than he. Kills the attack every time and wastes valuable possession. I recall saying this in a game thread earlier and clearly I'm not the only one who sees this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Been saying that all year.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubr View Post
    He should have shot that one for sure instead of passing to Giovinco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He's done that same thing at least a dozen times this year.

I swear if his passport was a U.S one people would be calling him shite and to get off the field like they do for everyone else.

That last quote there from Ultra brings up an excellent point too. If he wasn't Canadian I highly doubt there would be many here jumping to his defence. I'm not saying he's a bad player or that I dislike the guy, I'm saying he needs a lot of work and I don't lose any sleep having him not selected for the NT as some here seem to. I get the argument that Canada doesn't exactly have a wealth of talent so regardless of the above he should get the call. It's valid but it's like everyone assumes he'll never get called which I highly doubt will be the case. Maybe giving him more time is a good thing.

EDIT: After reading your post Coach, hammer meet nail. Right on the head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    Just a couple of personal observations.

I've spoken with Oso many times and always found him to be okay. The scenario above makes me think bad day but it is also somewhat indicative of play on the field.

Since his injury last year (I think) he has changed his style a bit. Over the last 18 or so months, I've noticed that he's tried harder to be a difference maker on the field. The focus of attention. He's tried a bunch of nifty little moves to get free in right areas. And then makes a high risk pass that blows the play. He's also tried to take on 4 guys and ends up losing the ball and causing the transition rush, often poorly timed, leaving the defensive minded mids hung out to dry.

For the first few weeks of this season I thought he was amongst our poorest performers, which was reflected in his playing time. He improved over the course of the year.

At times, he's a serviceable player. When he tried to do too much, which is happening too frequently, he becomes an "I" guy. I'm not sure if this approach came from an inflated role on the CMNT or at TFC, but it has appeared to have happened.

We've got Giovinco, Altidore and Bradley to be our main guys. Oso is a decent player, but he needs to work with those guys, not in isolation. Just watch Giovinco's reactions to him during games - the look is more of contempt than anything else.

Ultimately I don't think he's been a good team guy, and Canada needs a solid team approach to win. We don't know what he's like in the locker room and what influence, if any, he has on others, especially younger guys. I don't blame Floro for taking that approach when he's been using a younger team.
    You are only seeing the negative here. He's been a big asset this year to say the least. The observation on his passing is way off base - he's close to league leading in several categories for his position.

Giovinco chews out quite a few guys with regularity.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-05-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you watch games carefully it's painfully obvious that the kid has no confidence in his abilities.
    https://streamable.com/pb7m

Just look at that obvious lack of confidence...

Sorry but these comments are just laughable to me. He is 5th in the entire league in passing percentage and that's all the more impressive when you consider he plays an advanced role on the pitch (the top 20 in passing percentage is littered with defensive mids and defenders). 7 assists on the year is nothing to sneeze at and he's been involved in the build up on a bunch of other goals. Someone called him a "sponge" in a game thread recently on here, and that's exactly what he is: he takes care of the ball and is rarely wasteful. After Giovinco and Cheyrou there's no one on our roster I would trust more to maintain possession in a tough spot. That's a valuable trait to have in midfield. He's a legitimate starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what do we think? Could he of fit into this team?

1- GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / Strømmen IF
    2- FB- Fraser Aird | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
    3- FB- Samuel Adekugbe | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    4- CB- André Hainault | GER / 1. FC Magdeburg
    5- CB- David Edgar | ENG / Sheffield United
    6- M- Julian de Guzman | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
    7- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    8- M- Will Johnson | USA / Portland Timbers
    9- F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / CA Fénix
    10- M- David Hoilett | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
    11- M- Tosaint Ricketts | TUR / Boluspor FC
    12- CB- Dejan Jaković | JPN / Shimizu S-Pulse
    13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
    14- M- Samuel Piette | ESP / Deportivo La Coruña
    15- M / CB- Adam Straith | NOR / Fredrikstad FK
    16- M- Kianz Froese | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    17- FB / M- Marcel De Jong | USA / Sporting Kansas City
    18- GK- Milan Borjan | BUL / PFK Ludogorets Razgrad
    19- CB- Wandrille Lefèvre | CAN / Impact Montréal
    20- FB- Karl W. Ouimette | USA / New York Red Bulls
    21- F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC
    22- GK- Kenny Stamatopoulos | SWE / AIK Fotbol
    23- M- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-s...couver-p158805

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    https://streamable.com/pb7m

Just look at that obvious lack of confidence...

Sorry but these comments are just laughable to me. He is 5th in the entire league in passing percentage and that's all the more impressive when you consider he plays an advanced role on the pitch (the top 20 in passing percentage is littered with defensive mids and defenders). 7 assists on the year is nothing to sneeze at and he's been involved in the build up on a bunch of other goals. Someone called him a "sponge" in a game thread recently on here, and that's exactly what he is: he takes care of the ball and is rarely wasteful. After Giovinco and Cheyrou there's no one on our roster I would trust more to maintain possession in a tough spot. That's a valuable trait to have in midfield. He's a legitimate starter.
    A clip from one home game against one of the worst teams in the east proves what exactly? I didn't see any of those end in a goal. Nutmegs are great and all but if the possession goes nowhere then...?

7 assists is nothing to sneeze at, you're absolutely right. However, I think we both know that number is significantly closer to 0 than it is 7 if Giovinco isn't on this team. Let's be real you could have gotten assist number 7 if you were on the field to hand Seba the ball to undress the Shite Bulls. Conversely if stats matter to you then how do you explain his goal production that has dried up year over year for the past 2 years?

Again, not saying I hate the guy or have anything against him. I just think he's still a boy in a man's game and that it's not a bad thing to give him time.

pdubs - This may be a controversial pick but if I'm Floro I might be compelled to actually select Oso over Tesho at this point. Tesho has had an awful year and lost his spot for FCD. I don't believe one should be selected based off potential. This would then put Oso playing wide which doesn't necessarily play to his strengths but anyway just my $0.02 if I HAD to fit Oso on that list somehow. Pretty content with the list as it is however.