Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 468692939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 2915
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I don't get how we haven't shifted a centreback, Zavaleta makes over 100k the difference in salary between Warner and him is like 35-45k and we can afford to let a young centreback go we have lots of them, what we don't have lots of is veteran MLS midfielders

It is a bit odd that which we all said we have a lot of is the one thing that hasn't been touched, so far.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    My assumption is that these CB's don't have any trade value. We picked Williams up on waivers, Zavaleta as through trade but I'm not sure who would want him to be honest. And Hagglund hasn't proven to be a solid cb at all yet. Warner has experience, and has value, hence he was moved.

We were able to trade Creavalle. Value might go up as the season progresses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be willing to wager that after moving on Warner and Gomez there is enough wiggle room to add a TAM player. Probably in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im disappointed weve let Warner go. He would have provided valuable cover in midfield. A league ready journeyman, who could have been particularly useful come the Euros/Copa America

We seem a little thin in midfield now, especially if the 4-3-3 is dumped, which i think might well be the case as we get a month or so into the season. Gio has to play as second striker imo, and not as wide man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gomez and Warner were two of our best options off the bench. We just lost some valuable depth.

I hope the kids are ready to step up.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 03-02-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Thanks for coming on here. It's a detail worth knowing. Did your editors chop it out of your story?

So I'll amend my comment - did Bez not know that when he signed Gomez? The club did a lot of things last year that are causing problems this year.
    Hasn't this always been the case with Toronto FC though? Making bad signings one year, which in turn affects how the club can run the following year.
    Last edited by spe18; 03-02-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little disappointed to see Warner go. Was a good pro that gave a solid effort.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'd be willing to wager that after moving on Warner and Gomez there is enough wiggle room to add a TAM player. Probably in the summer.
    So why are we not moving these players in the summer? Because we can't.

We could use them, in fact we will sorely miss them in June.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow this is not looking very good just days before the season starts, two good experienced pros and good depth players gone, with a nice 8 game road trip to start, they sure kept it late, but then again this does not surprise me at all classic TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys realize we're not the only team still making moves right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAG released Gargan yesterday, fwiw. No, I wouldn't want him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So why are we not moving these players in the summer? Because we can't.

We could use them, in fact we will sorely miss them in June.
    We can't? So you're saying they can get a pick for Warner today but not in the summer?

Bez says in the interview with Totera there is a potential international signing. Then they trade Warner who has a budget charge equal to the minimum amount you can buy down a player with TAM. Yea, i'm not sure it's all cap/roster crunch related and they are using roster compliance as an excuse to move some parts out to create some flexibility for a future move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    LAG released Gargan yesterday, fwiw. No, I wouldn't want him.
    you meant to say they....

RELEASED THE GARGAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    A little disappointed to see Warner go. Was a good pro that gave a solid effort.
    My feelings exactly. Warner, Gomez and Moore were the kind of depth we have never had and in a year with big international tournaments were pretty important to consider keeping. Along with Findley, we've lost four players of this caliber. That's a big loss and we may come to regret it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Findley is not a big loss lol. We became a better team the second he was cut.

Gomez and Moore being dropped (I do mean *and* ... didn't mind moving one, but moving both leaves us short-handed up top) is cause for some concern, but I don't know why anyone is batting an eye about Warner. He's a decent player but he's very replaceable. And like I said we'll have one of our usual starting midfielders on the bench in a 4-3-3, and Delgado is better than Warner anyways as well.

I often see people bemoan the fact that we don't give young players enough of a chance. Now we're worried about moving a veteran player that usually won't make the game day 18 when we have a kid in Mannella who's a similar type of player and looks ready to take the next step? Come on people. This is a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Gomez and Moore being dropped (I do mean *and* ... didn't mind moving one, but moving both leaves us short-handed up top) is cause for some concern, but I don't know why anyone is batting an eye about Warner. He's a decent player but he's very replaceable. And like I said we'll have one of our usual starting midfielders on the bench in a 4-3-3, and Delgado is better than Warner anyways as well.

I often see people bemoan the fact that we don't give young players enough of a chance. Now we're worried about moving a veteran player that usually won't make the game day 18 when we have a kid in Mannella who's a similar type of player and looks ready to take the next step? Come on people. This is a good thing.
    Have to agree. We have multiple young kids coming up who have the potential but will never get a chance if we stock the roster with journeymen for depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry to see Warner go, I liked his style and he offered a lot off the bench. I guess we will see what our youth is made of this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 years ago when we got rid of Issy, people were upset and wondering who this guy was. Well, at the time, people pointed out that he was something we didn't have - MLS quality depth.

I think it speaks to the development of young talent in this team that they are now MLS quality depth.

This is something we havn't done before but that is also necessary to succeed - have MLS quality depth with either experience or youth.

Assuming Osorio plays midfield, we now have 4 starting level MLS quality midfielders in Cheyrou, Bradley, Osorio, Johnson + 4 depth players in Lovitz, Delgado, Chapman and Manella. Playing a 4-3-3, that should be enough.

My issue with our midfield isn't the depth - its the lack of a nailed on DM. Warner was the closest to that but he really played more like Johnson does. And, with Johnson here, Warner wasn't needed anymore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 years ago when we got rid of Issy, people were upset and wondering who this guy was. Well, at the time, people pointed out that he was something we didn't have - MLS quality depth.

I think it speaks to the development of young talent in this team that they are now MLS quality depth.

This is something we havn't done before but that is also necessary to succeed - have MLS quality depth with either experience or youth.

Assuming Osorio plays midfield, we now have 4 starting level MLS quality midfielders in Cheyrou, Bradley, Osorio, Johnson + 4 depth players in Lovitz, Delgado, Chapman and Manella. Playing a 4-3-3, that should be enough.

My issue with our midfield isn't the depth - its the lack of a nailed on DM. Warner was the closest to that but he really played more like Johnson does. And, with Johnson here, Warner wasn't needed anymore.
    I think that Houston did us a favour, Warner out with hamstring injury.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbh, I forgot that Warner was still here. I don't think he played a single minute in pre-season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too concerned about the loss of Moore, Gomez, and Warner... More concerned they did things with little foresight and created a lot of shuffling right before the season starts.

When your every day MLS guys earning minimal money feel unsettled (which happens on occasion when there's lots of turnover within the team) the performance on the field often slides.

I'll trust that they've done things the right way here and the academy guys are ready, for now....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Have to agree. We have multiple young kids coming up who have the potential but will never get a chance if we stock the roster with journeymen for depth.

All valid points. The main cause for concern is that although the kids have potential, we are going to be asking a lot of them with all of our international absences coming up. It would have been nice to have some experience off the bench to shelter our kids while they adjust to MLS in a more pragmatic manner as opposed to rushing them into significant roles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not too concerned about the loss of Moore, Gomez, and Warner... More concerned they did things with little foresight and created a lot of shuffling right before the season starts.

When your every day MLS guys earning minimal money feel unsettled (which happens on occasion when there's lots of turnover within the team) the performance on the field often slides.

I'll trust that they've done things the right way here and the academy guys are ready, for now....
    thats the problem, they need to be ready now!!

Looks like they are okay with picking up points through ties (defence) and later in the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ We'll see how that goes. At face value they seem like a reasonably talented group. And hey, Babouli scored more goals in preseason than a lot of other people did so that's a good sign.

If it's minimal minutes (which it could be if people stay healthy) I think it could work out. If it's more than that, we might be biting off more than we can chew.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Gomez and Warner were two of our best options off the bench. We just lost some valuable depth.

I hope the kids are ready to step up.
    That's all I've been thinking. I'm not too worried, but those are kinda big shoes to fill. Kinda shocked to see Warner out when I read the news this morning. He was a pretty solid starter.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess he knew alraedy back in the fall when he put out that tweet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    what I meant by my post was that we should not have let all four of them go at once. we need at least one of Findley Gomez or Moore for the summer due to the tournaments. if it wasn't a year with the Euros and the Copa, I would agree with your point.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-04-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    All valid points. The main cause for concern is that although the kids have potential, we are going to be asking a lot of them with all of our international absences coming up. It would have been nice to have some experience off the bench to shelter our kids while they adjust to MLS in a more pragmatic manner as opposed to rushing them into significant roles.
    that's where I am at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed re lack of nailed on DM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe that the players signed a collective agreement that allows the league to treat them like this. It's time they showed a little backbone FFS. Trading a player..ok...waiving them/dumping their contracts.. 3 days before the season starts is crap.