Page 95 of 98 FirstFirst ... 45859192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 2915
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Whadddya mean finally? She was covering the team last season.
    Me bad....never saw her retweeted by anybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Last season he was free to roam from side to side and picked up possession centrally. I seem to remember him having a pretty good season. If he stays out left at all this season, he'll score less. That's my opinion. A good example would be last Sunday's match against Orlando City. I was there. He was exclusively on the left and had little impact.
    You're doing a good job dude.

Disagree about Giovinco, though; he played wide and central at Parma and was effective in both. Like Oso, as an inverted wing forward. Really, I think he can burn from all over the pitch in MLS; it depends who's in the middle to clean up anything he doesn't pot.

If he's getting double-teamed centrally and muscled away from the play, they can always push him wide and put Hamilton in the middle.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco is a 2nd striker, not as effective as the point man. He needs to be able to run at defenders and he gets space from his striker partner creating space for him to drop back a little to receive the ball.

As point man, he gets tied up and don't have the room to maneuver around.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warner to Dynamo for a 2nd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Collen Warner Traded to Houston for a draft pick

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...depth at CM now bringing Chapman and Manella into the picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hmmm...depth at CM now bringing Chapman and Manella into the picture.
    Does seem like a bit of a youth movement going on, whether by choice or necessity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes sense. In a 4-3-3 we have an extra starting caliber midfielder on the bench (odd man out of Bradley, Johnson, Cheyrou and Osorio), Delgado is more suited to it because of how much ground he can cover, and then there's Chapman and Mannella who's close to taking the next step.

Warner is a good bench player and should be able to help Houston. Trading Issey for him is one of TFC's better moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Makes sense. In a 4-3-3 we have an extra starting caliber midfielder on the bench (odd man out of Bradley, Johnson, Cheyrou and Osorio), Delgado is more suited to it because of how much ground he can cover, and then there's Chapman and Mannella who's close to taking the next step.

Warner is a good bench player and should be able to help Houston. Trading Issey for him is one of TFC's better moves.
    This

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We also got a bit of bite in the midfield with Johnson. I like Warner. A starter in much of the league. Just not with this midfield.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone explain to me how we have cut the three top substitutes on our team in return for NOTHING?? We are so thin after our starting lineup it is embarrassing. This has nothing to do with our salary cap as it looks like we have shed over $500,000 in comparison to last year despite being given $875,000 in allocation along with a 5% cap raise. Did we give everyone except the DP's a 50% raise from last year??

I can't see us making the playoffs this year let alone winning MLS Cup, this is just absurd we have 13 MLS caliber players left on the roster by my count

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltfc91 View Post
    Can someone explain to me how we have cut the three top substitutes on our team in return for NOTHING?? We are so thin after our starting lineup it is embarrassing. This has nothing to do with our salary cap as it looks like we have shed over $500,000 in comparison to last year despite being given $875,000 in allocation along with a 5% cap raise. Did we give everyone except the DP's a 50% raise from last year??

I can't see us making the playoffs this year let alone winning MLS Cup, this is just absurd we have 13 MLS caliber players left on the roster by my count
    Well unless anyone picks up Moore or Gomez off waivers, we didn't clear their cap hit. Although, there are expectations Gomez will clear waivers and be picked up. So Warner is the first official cap dump to get us roster compliant. It also affords us the opportunity to sign Babouli which I rather have than Gomez. As mentioned above, our midfield depth is extensive so losing Warner isn't a big deal. There are also reports of an "international" signing so we'll see what that brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we sign a proper winger/forward, our balance will look a lot better to make a decent go of it.

Delgado is the better backup. If everyone is fit, Cheyrou essentially becomes a bench player.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forwards: Giovinco Altidore
    Mids: Bradley, Osorio, Cheyrou, Osorio, Delgado
    Defenders: Morrow, Moor, Perquis, Beitashour, Morgan
    Keepers: Irwin

Anyone else stepping on the field is not of enough quality to start on an MLS team. I don't know what happened to being 2 deep in every position on the field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair point and it could bite us in the ass. On the other hand, guys getting some first team minutes after doing a stint at TFC II is important too. It may be early for this, but long term I hope we can see our academy and development teams providing more of the talent we need, and relying less on the draft and trades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forwards: Giovinco Altidore
    Mids: Bradley, Osorio, Cheyrou, Osorio, Delgado
    Defenders: Morrow, Moor, Perquis, Beitashour, Morgan
    Keepers: Irwin

Anyone else stepping on the field is not of enough quality to start on an MLS team. I don't know what happened to being 2 deep in every position on the field
    That list is entirely subjective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think that just maybe Vanney believes the younger players are MLS ready? I'm sure a lot of coaches are looking at FC Dallas and Vancouver and how young the teams are (and good). There seems to be a youth movement among the league - the new players coming up through the Academies are all starting to come out better than a lot of the veteran journeymen already. I'm seeing a lot more of these players being picked up by NASL clubs. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He was in the locker room for what? Two months total? I know he has a personality but I'd be hard pressed to call a guy who got into almost no matches and did next to nothing significant in the room. Now, his lack of pitch time isn't necessarily his fault. Vanney didn't rate him and we have thread dedicated to the coaching acumen of Mr. Vanney so maybe it's another thing to add to his epitaph but maybe also, Herc is done. He didn't do much of anything for a couple seasons before coming here and yes I know he was injured a bit but injuries don't let guys like Altidore and Perquis off the hook so Herc should get the same treatment.

I don't like being thin up top either but I honestly had no good expectations for Gomez this year no matter the injuries. For me, I'd rather Mo get a shot and I am far from being a 'Go Canada' homer when it comes to our roster.
    Not really, Herc was here for 7 months, 5 of the 7 months he was with the team. He's been with the team during the most important time of the club, and also for all of the 2016 pre-season. Other players have cited him for his presences and what he brings into the locker room.

Sure, maybe his injury record or contract structure is the reason why this might be the right move, but he was rarely injured during his time with Toronto nor should this be done 4 days prior to the season opener. It might seem like my disappointment on this move is because I don't believe Mo's ready, but don't get me wrong. I think Mo should get a shot this year, but I don't think Herc is the guy to cut, this is a huge gamble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our midfield depth is good. Our defensive depth, well, you can argue about the quality, but the depth is there. If we lose a midfielder or a defender, we're not scrambling.

Offensive depth is worth a bit of concern though. You'd think we're looking a bringing in another proven player. Who knows, maybe Endoh and Babouli get minutes and we find we really have something in them. Or maybe they're just ok. It's going to take a few games to get an idea of exactly what we're working with up top. But if I'm Bez I'm definitely looking at adding another player up top, and it sounds like he is already.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note - Simonin healing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As to our forward depth, I see Osorio and Endoh and Baboulli getting big minutes - hopefully they do good. But, this isn't like last season where we rolled the dice on the defence hoping to get a full season out of Caldwell and for Hagglund to keep going. We went into last season with 2 CD's and a bunch of new kids and a sophomore.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Fair point and it could bite us in the ass. On the other hand, guys getting some first team minutes after doing a stint at TFC II is important too. It may be early for this, but long term I hope we can see our academy and development teams providing more of the talent we need, and relying less on the draft and trades.
    I hope you are right, but I can't see many of them filling in to the quality we want / expect. Hopefully Chapman can step up and Delgado can continue to improve. Endoh has to be an absolute gem for us to improve offensively

I am not sold on Hamilton / Babouli but will bite my tongue as a huge Canada fan

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    That list is entirely subjective.
    Of course, but who else can be listed as a starter that won't make you cringe? After those 13 quality goes way down in my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    On another note - Simonin healing.

oddly enough, that sounds like my cardio regimen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, are our young academy graduates actually going to get to play this year? That's refreshing.

i look at the Whitecaps academy, and their young first team players and I'm extremely envious.

give the kids a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, but who else can be listed as a starter that won't make you cringe? After those 13 quality goes way down in my opinion
    Maybe Williams.

It doesn't matter though because we can't evaluate the quality of new talent unless we're qualified to. Are Endoh or Babouli starter quality? The both looked decent in preseason. Is Babouli better than an aging Gomez? Has Mannella progressed enough to make Warner redundant? It's nuanced unless you've played 150 MLS odd games and contributed.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 03-02-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Maybe Williams.

It doesn't matter though because we can't evaluate the quality of new talent unless we're qualified to. Are Endoh or Babouli starter quality? The both looked decent in preseason. Has Mannella progressed enough to make Warner redundant? It's nuanced unless you've played 150 MLS odd games and contributed.
    Will Johnson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get how we haven't shifted a centreback, Zavaleta makes over 100k the difference in salary between Warner and him is like 35-45k and we can afford to let a young centreback go we have lots of them, what we don't have lots of is veteran MLS midfielders

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    oddly enough, that sounds like my cardio regimen
    Once every 5 months?
    Sounds about right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I don't get how we haven't shifted a centreback, Zavaleta makes over 100k the difference in salary between Warner and him is like 35-45k and we can afford to let a young centreback go we have lots of them, what we don't have lots of is veteran MLS midfielders
    My assumption is that these CB's don't have any trade value. We picked Williams up on waivers, Zavaleta as through trade but I'm not sure who would want him to be honest. And Hagglund hasn't proven to be a solid cb at all yet. Warner has experience, and has value, hence he was moved.