Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Williams doesnt have the pace to play RB,
    Or the skill and intelligence to play center back. He's a career backup-level player, nothing more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    They were bang on about the player assessment stuff.

The "Drogba shook my hand and the TFC players didn't" is your usual shite.
    Total nonsense; no context to his use of it, no acknowledgment that Giovinco is exactly the same way. DeVos just isn't very bright. He might have a larger point about the dressing room, but his analogy is laughable.

EDIT: Having said that, he's dead on about our front office. "There are five players, big players on big tickets who should not be anywhere near" the first team elswhere in MLS, he says of Kantari, Perquis, Gomes, Moore, Findley.

"I think that the deployment of the resources they have at their disposal... they made unwise choices in that respect."
    Last edited by jloome; 11-05-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Great analysis by Jason Devos and Kristian Jack on the state of TFC:

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-fc/tsn-fc...inish-and-more
    JUST UPVOTING this as everyone should listen to it. The TFC stuff is at the end. As much as I rag Devos for his biases, his analysis here (and KJs) is absolutely, one hundred percent dead on. This should be played over a loudspeaker at MLSE until they can all recite it by heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also agree completely with Jason Devos and Kristian Jack on their analysis of TFC. There's just no way anyone can listen to that and not walk away feeling very worried about the state of TFC right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Super's sentiments. So then do we give up on next season already and just go along resignedly for the ride? What do we tie our slim hopes up to that things will get better? Or will this be as good as it gets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I agree with Super's sentiments. So then do we give up on next season already and just go along resignedly for the ride? What do we tie our slim hopes up to that things will get better? Or will this be as good as it gets?
    Basically, we need a defensive midfielder, two wingers, two center halfs who are value for money and will fight, a right back.

Then we need to stick Bradley at the top of a diamond or next to competent partners in a 4-1-3-2. Either way, without a really solid defensive midfielder, we have to plan around using an anchor (or signing more than one).

Obviously have to shed a ton of salary; but Vanney has already said he doesn't think he needs player turnover.

Is he fucking doomed, or is it just me? I think Manning's statement might last as long as it takes to find a better manager. I sort of hope so. Think Bez has to go, too. They've just ignored balance in favor of throwing money at the spine, and it hasn't worked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who do we use our one buyout on? Easy answer is Findley ($250,000) or Kantari ($345,000). However we need a a new keeper and not sure when Bendik's contract ends (Thought it was this January but not certain). If Bendik has another year do we buy him out?

Problem is as DeVos said we have 5 players that we need to get rid of. We can buyout 1 for sure, the rest would have to be transfers or trades. Don't want to go through the old way of retaining big salaries (too many to list) just to get a large chunk off the books. Gomez or Moore may be trade bait idk.

Think Perquis next to a #1 with Williams as the 3rd and Zavaleta as a 4th is a good enough CB lineup.
    Last edited by pdubs; 11-05-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

The "Drogba shook my hand and the TFC players didn't" is your usual shite.
    Im at this point in the show, christ its trite

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do think we need to shed some of these larger salaries of players that have been less than satisfactory, Findlay being one of them. Going to be an interesting off season for sure, Bez' job is definitely on the line if he doesnt see what seems to be obvious to most of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lovitz is probably worth something to trade for depth, no point keeping him if he is on the bench

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think he's past it. At the start of the season he was effective but the more we asked him to play two ways, or just defend, the less he could do for us. He's a great passer and obviously a good presence, but at his money he doesn't offer nearly enough and isn't consistent enough, due to age.
    Now the question for us might be: could we reduce his salary and tweak the formation enough to get use of that passing range? Unfortunately I think Bradley + Cheyrou is a complete non starter on any level. You simply can't put both these guys on at the same time.

On an unrelated note: time to bring Manella into the first team and pencil him in as a 2/3rd option at DM. Kid has all the tools.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-05-2015 at 02:37 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Now the question for us might be: could we reduce his salary and tweak the formation enough to get use of that passing range? Unfortunately I think Bradley + Cheyrou is a complete non starter on any level. You simply can't put both these guys on at the same time.

On an unrelated note: time to bring Manella into the first team and pencil him in as a 2/3rd option at DM. Kid has all the tools.
    I have no idea if has all the tools since he has not played a single minute in the MLS yet, but looking forward to seeing him get a chance. Always like to see if the Kids can step up.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I have basically given up on us doing any better than this year next season. I am also resigned to the fact that the squad will go boom come summer when we name our new manager.

My biggest hope for next year is that the roof is good and the Argos don't totally fuck up the pitch but I think they will.

2016 is not shaping up to be a good one at this point but a lot can happen between now and spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    Who do we use our one buyout on? Easy answer is Findley ($250,000) or Kantari ($345,000). However we need a a new keeper and not sure when Bendik's contract ends (Thought it was this January but not certain). If Bendik has another year do we buy him out?

Problem is as DeVos said we have 5 players that we need to get rid of. We can buyout 1 for sure, the rest would have to be transfers or trades. Don't want to go through the old way of retaining big salaries (too many to list) just to get a large chunk off the books. Gomez or Moore may be trade bait idk.

Think Perquis next to a #1 with Williams as the 3rd and Zavaleta as a 4th is a good enough CB lineup.
    Well Findley is out of contract for sure so thats one.
    Kantari can be bought out, that's two.
    Bendik can be dumped in the re-entry draft as it's an option year for him, so that's three.

I have massive doubts that our FO will do any of that though.

Perquis we are stuck with I think and has probably shown the bare minimum to be given another go.

Herc I have no idea but i'd wager it's a guaranteed deal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listened to the TSN FC podcast and its more or less what we can all agree on re: Players needed etc/lack of certain formation/direction.
    Plenty of time and place for us to dump some unneeded inflated players and bring in some talent in positions that need filling.
    Big question will be whether Bez is up to the job and whether Vanney is able to communicate what he wants/needs going forward as opposed to whats shiny and new.
    Think next season is dependent entirely upon this, as well as Vanney and Bez' jobs.
    Concerned but not ready to throw in the towel as there is plenty of time and they have made some good purchases/learned from mistakes in the past.
    Question is whether they can do so going forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More i think about it i wonder whether there is a lack of communication between Bez and Vanney, whether Vanney cant identify what he needs/doesnt know his tactics, whether Bez is or isnt able to identify players to accomodate Vanney or if its a bit of all of it. Good thing is these are all easily dealt with. Question is whether it will happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this a player rumour thread, but still interesting to share:

As the MLS coaching carousel begins to spin, some familiar names are beginning to surface. Sources tell Goal USA that former Toronto FC and Newcastle United manager John Carver is interested in a return to MLS. Carver coached Toronto FC in 2008 before resigning in early 2009. Carver then spent four years as an assistant coach with English Premier League side Newcastle United, most recently serving as caretaker manager to close out the 2014-2015 season.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/...l?ICID=HP_BN_1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    I know this a player rumour thread, but still interesting to share:

As the MLS coaching carousel begins to spin, some familiar names are beginning to surface. Sources tell Goal USA that former Toronto FC and Newcastle United manager John Carver is interested in a return to MLS. Carver coached Toronto FC in 2008 before resigning in early 2009. Carver then spent four years as an assistant coach with English Premier League side Newcastle United, most recently serving as caretaker manager to close out the 2014-2015 season.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/...l?ICID=HP_BN_1
    Hes up there with Owen Coyle (whos done more imo)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Moore was very good depth, in my view. I think the real issue is that we have not built the right midfield pieces around Bradley. We either do that, or trade him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go back to Nelsen's last game in charge and watch our midfield play. Bradley was culpable on all three goals - mistakes, and too aggressive with no one stepping in when that aggressiveness caused a problem. Then watch Columbus and the two Montreal games at the end of this season. similar issues. Not necessarily blaming him, but if we are going to use his strength - those aggressive runs - we have to protect against his weakness - being out of position because of those aggressive runs. When it counted the most, we didn't. Other mistakes versus Montreal - hello Kantari - but this was a structural one we didn't fix, except the diamond for a while, and when he didn't play and we used the 4-2-3-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might be chastised for saying this, but I think Bradley might be the worst use of a DP slot among our existing DPs.

Giovinco is the best DP in the history of the league.

Altidore, despite his flaws, put up numbers that are DP worthy relative to his playing time (13 goals in 22 games). He is possibly the most clinical finisher we have ever had, and they are hard to come by at this level.

Bradley scored 5 goals and 3 assists in 26 games. For a supposed all star box to box midfielder, those numbers are underwhelming, and he wasn't exactly a defensive anchor either. In my opinion, he should be prime trade bait while his perceived value is still high around the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ I think I agree with you.

I'm not so sure a box to box midfielder can work in this league when the general IQ level is so low, and especially when Bradley feels like he can do whatever he wants roaming all over the place.

You need some really aware players to fill in the holes that a box to box midfielder creates, and I don't think the trade off is worth it considering Bradley is like a jack of all trades.

That's about the worst use of a DP in MLS, its better to have a designated player in a defined role because you are just not going to tactically get the best out of a box guy in MLS.
    Last edited by Richard; 11-05-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^^^ I think I agree with you.

I'm not so sure a box to box midfielder can work in this league when the general IQ level is so low, and especially when Bradley feels like he can do whatever he wants roaming all over the place.

You need some really aware players to fill in the holes that a box to box midfielder creates, and I don't think the trade off is worth it considering Bradley is like a jack of all trades.

That's about the worst use of a DP in MLS, its better to have a designated player in a defined role because you are just not going to tactically get the best out of a box guy in MLS.
    Again, I can't believe I'm so in agreement with Devos for a change, but Bradley always looks better going forward. He scored eighteen goals in the eredivisie and he'll set up both strikers more often if we put him in a position to cause problems.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a DM and get a couple of decent CD's and a keeper and a RB and we are fine.

5 players.

But given Cheyrou is shown in the off season marketing already, I think he's staying.

Serious question - would Cheyrou make a decent CD now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheyrou is quality, but at his age, he lacks the pace to be counted on as a defensive anchor in the midfield. To be effective, he needs to be insulated by a destroyer with pace (in the mold of Laba) so he can use his strengths, which are maintaining possession and distributing the ball to our forwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in agreement re: Bradley. I just think he's a poor use of a DP in MLS. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. Furthermore, I think he has hard time finding balance in his role because as Richard alluded to, I think he's always worried about the weaknesses in defense and feels like he needs to do everything. Ultimately he often ends up doing nothing or getting way too stretched.

I've felt like that before playing with less talented teammates on a losing team (obviously nowhere near at this level, but I think the mentality is similar), you get stuck wanting to do everything - especially defensively - because you can't trust them to play their positions correctly.

I could see Bradley being better playing forward with a destroyer CDM and a leader of men, dominant CB. Though we really have to ask ourselves if Bradley is really worth it if he needs all that to find the correct influence on the game? I don't know.

I also would get rid of Altidore as he and Giovinco do not seem to mix well and an unconfident Jozy is unbearable at times. No touch, no hold up play, no pulling defenders with runs, nothing.

I know I'm likely asking too much and it will not happen, but politics and optics aside, its probably what should happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingvikingstad View Post
    I'm in agreement re: Bradley. I just think he's a poor use of a DP in MLS. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. Furthermore, I think he has hard time finding balance in his role because as Richard alluded to, I think he's always worried about the weaknesses in defense and feels like he needs to do everything. Ultimately he often ends up doing nothing or getting way too stretched.

I've felt like that before playing with less talented teammates on a losing team (obviously nowhere near at this level, but I think the mentality is similar), you get stuck wanting to do everything - especially defensively - because you can't trust them to play their positions correctly.

I could see Bradley being better playing forward with a destroyer CDM and a leader of men, dominant CB. Though we really have to ask ourselves if Bradley is really worth it if he needs all that to find the correct influence on the game? I don't know.

I also would get rid of Altidore as he and Giovinco do not seem to mix well and an unconfident Jozy is unbearable at times. No touch, no hold up play, no pulling defenders with runs, nothing.

I know I'm likely asking too much and it will not happen, but politics and optics aside, its probably what should happen.
    If Luke Moore would commit to tracking back he'd be a perfectly good hold up 9 beside Giovinco. And way cheaper. We could trade Jozy for a CB allowing Perquis to be number two and Willaims three. Bradley could thrive in that IF and only if there was a Laba type behind him. 4-1-3-2 sounds about right. With no other changes, I'd take that team - alternatively trade Jozy for the DCM (Dax?).

lots of other alternatives - trade Bradley - get a new RB, CDM, CB, CB, etc but trading one of the two for the right price solves our balance problem.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 11-05-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It won't be the first transfer request for Giovinco we reject this winter, but it might be the biggest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't mean they won't come back with another bid.