Page 63 of 98 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Well, someone is gonna get signed to be the starter. But Roberts is gonna have to get minutes at some point soon. He was already one of the better keepers in USL last season and at some point you run the risk of stunting his progress.
    honest question

which do young keepers need more, game time or a quality league ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sincerely hope Rollins is just speculating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    honest question

which do young keepers need more, game time or a quality league ?

It's not as simple as that, but for all intents and purposes I'd say a quality environment. I played at a relatively high level as a 'keeper and had to deal with this a couple times over my youth. playing at a level beneath you both in terms of opposition and day-to-day training environment can seriously stunt your progress if you're a young player. In my opinion, if the kid show's he's ready, give 'em games. I improved the most as a player when my coaches threw me into the deep end, putting me up against the older guys or picking me to take to a showcase with foreign and college scouts. sky's the limit if you're a young player and you know your coach trust's you to compete with the big boys.

Anyway. I guess that's just a long-winded way of saying that inexperience shouldn't be the only reason you keep a young guy from getting a chance. Roberts has done more than enough to be at least given the spot as the back up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is management focusing on Borjan in the first place.. ?? Likely they though they could get him for cheap.. but sure enough, with him being Canadian he likely is asking for more just because of that fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Why is management focusing on Borjan in the first place.. ?? Likely they though they could get him for cheap.. but sure enough, with him being Canadian he likely is asking for more just because of that fact.
    or he's in the middle of a bidding war between a couple club's and is looking to get the best deal for himself. Just because he's not doing hurdles to sign a contract here doesn't make him a bad guy.

as for why management would go after him in the first place? he ticks all the boxes. Canadian (and therefore potential fan favorite)? check. Accomplished career in Europe? check. Available? check. Affordable under the right circumstances? Seemingly, check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or he's in the middle of a bidding war between a couple club's and is looking to get the best deal for himself. Just because he's not doing hurdles to sign a contract here doesn't make him a bad guy.

as for why management would go after him in the first place? he ticks all the boxes. Canadian (and therefore potential fan favorite)? check. Accomplished career in Europe? check. Available? check. Affordable under the right circumstances? Seemingly, check.
    I'm not suggesting that he's a bad guy.. I just don't understand our constant pursuit of Canadians, when we don't do anything with the academy grads that we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Borjan is decent but it would be criminally stupid for them not to have several options.

No offense, but this is not a guy you wait in line for. If this is the quality of keeper you're looking for cast a wide net and first guy to put his name on a deal wins.

Roberts should not be hung out to dry by not having someone else experienced on the roster as well. Being thrown in the deep in is great - until you drown. Coaches can give you time but the point is you're pushing yourself to keep standards high - if that breaks down you need to take a step back. Think early days of TFC - it's not like we got the most out of those players who were in over their heads. We just played them through repeated failures and they lost all confidence. It wasn't good for us or their careers.

First team minutes could make sense for Roberta but I'd leave us another option at the very least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I'm not suggesting that he's a bad guy.. I just don't understand our constant pursuit of Canadians, when we don't do anything with the academy grads that we have.
    1)we go after canadians because Canadians like playing for a pro-team in their home country. For better or worse we've been one of the top choices for Canadian internationals since about year 3 of TFC.

2) How do we not do anything with our academy grads? one of them is our leader in all-time appearances. Another one of them was sold for over a million pounds to a PL club last year. Another is an integral part of our team and one of the best young(ish) players in the league who grows by leaps and bounds every year. All three are important pieces in the future of the NT program. We're hardly failing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Real. I was on the boards that night when the guy said he was near BMO and he could grab his rollerblades and swing by to see if Forlan was there signing a contract. Haha...legend was born.
    This is the origination of it right?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...on-etc/page137

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)we go after canadians because Canadians like playing for a pro-team in their home country. For better or worse we've been one of the top choices for Canadian internationals since about year 3 of TFC.
    I am of the opinion that most Canadian players like playing for pro teams in Canada because they get paid more due to recognition than they do elsewhere, based on skill set. I am also of the opinion that they choose TFC more so than the others because we were willing to pay top dollar for mid range players based on nationality for nothing more than PR purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

I always wondered about this

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

Haha...awesome, you found it. Ahh the memories...

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I am of the opinion that most Canadian players like playing for pro teams in Canada because they get paid more due to recognition than they do elsewhere, based on skill set. I am also of the opinion that they choose TFC more so than the others because we were willing to pay top dollar for mid range players based on nationality for nothing more than PR purposes.
    I'd lean more toward this, with a sprinkling of the hometown factor thrown in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) How do we not do anything with our academy grads? one of them is our leader in all-time appearances. Another one of them was sold for over a million pounds to a PL club last year. Another is an integral part of our team and one of the best young(ish) players in the league who grows by leaps and bounds every year. All three are important pieces in the future of the NT program. We're hardly failing.
    News flash...."over a million pounds" is a joke in the international transfer market for players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    News flash...."over a million pounds" is a joke in the international transfer market for players.
    How many other MLS teams have produced academy products good enough to be sold to a team in one of the big European leagues?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many other MLS teams have produced academy products good enough to be sold to a team in one of the big European leagues?
    This^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC management is in talks with a ex tfc/mls goalkeeper...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manager87 View Post
    Well I'm sure a lot of us were thinking Julio Cesar would be nice but he's playing Champions League this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way its Stefan Frei.

Milos Kosic? Retired now but was a solid player keeper who wasn't given the chance when Winter left.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-07-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did this come from

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No way its Stefan Frei.

Milos Kosic? Retired now but was a solid player keeper who wasn't given the chance when Winter left.

I would think Stamatopolos would be the most likely ... though talks between Tromso and AIK did breakdown, so he may require a bit of a transferfee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gezzz...plz no he is not any better then what they had.does this club have any scouts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    gezzz...plz no he is not any better then what they had.does this club have any scouts.

Disagree, think hes definitely better than what we had. Always liked him and thought he caught way too much flack. Do not expect him to be at a premium

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure they do and that guy obviously read my tongue in cheek post from last page and ran with it as a deep scouting session.

So I see you've read our mandate. But there are still keepers to try for. We still have Kenny S. & Hirschfeld to make offers to. Then we're back to Konopka until we trade away Roberts, let him develop to be good, then make him an offer in few years time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if its STAMA...it goes to show that BEZ has no clue.he is average over the hill dime a doz keeper...i rather play the young guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Reg, I'll disagree with you on this too. I've been vocal about my desire to see Kenny at TFC. I think he's been exemplary with the CMNT and while he isn't young, he's got two or three good years left in him and, as we all know, GK's often play up to and beyond 40.

We need one vet to mentor the rookies and I think Kenny could be it.

Who knows though, maybe it is Milos. He did come out of retirement to play in Hungary this past season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He came out of retirement to play in Hungary last season. Did he retire again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Sorry Reg, I'll disagree with you on this too. I've been vocal about my desire to see Kenny at TFC. I think he's been exemplary with the CMNT and while he isn't young, he's got two or three good years left in him and, as we all know, GK's often play up to and beyond 40.

We need one vet to mentor the rookies and I think Kenny could be it.

Who knows though, maybe it is Milos. He did come out of retirement to play in Hungary this past season.
    I think Stamma is an admirable guy but he has never looked particularly impressive.

Barring this is all wild speculation - these developments are disappointing. Borjan is better than Bednik and marginally worth shaking things up over. Stamma is not worth the instability. It seems stupid to splash on WJ then have a low-mid range keeper in the back.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-07-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting discussion but...

What's your source for this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milos Kocic and TFC are in negotiations-as im good friends with him.....he(milos)informed that tfc could not up to a agrrement with borjan