Page 6 of 98 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Cheyrou was likely on a one-year deal plus team option for year 2.
    If we only got him a couple of years ago...

Would like him back on a lower $$$ more in a backup role. He is not the destroyer DM we are looking for tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope he re-signs. He was great and calm on the ball.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I hope he re-signs. He was great and calm on the ball.
    He doesn't balance Bradley enough. I love him to death with his ball control but his defensive mind isn't there anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small bit of news: MLS apparently looking into taking a break in schedule during the Copa America Centenario according to Bez. Would be great for us since Bradley and Altidore wouldn't miss games, and Giovinco would avoid missing some as well assuming he makes the Italian Euro squad since that will be going on at the time as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who are some legitimate targets for TFC this off-season?

I hate how convoluted and secretive MLS player status' are, in that it's tough to see who's contracts are up and who could be available.

I've heard Jeff Larentowicz could become a "free-agent" if the fire don't pick up his option... could be a stabilizing addition to our back line, although at 32 turning 33 next season, he could start on the down-slope.

There's also rumours that Omar Gonzalez could be out at LAG.

Any other proven MLS-ers that could be available?
    Last edited by gdg_9; 11-03-2015 at 04:00 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post

I hate how convoluted and secretive MLS player status' are, in that it's tough to see who's contracts are up and who could be available.

I've heard Jeff Larentowicz could become a "free-agent" if the fire don't pick up his option... could be a stabilizing addition to our back line, although at 32 turning 33 next season, he could start on the down-slope.

probably best speculated after re entry draft in dec
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Small bit of news: MLS apparently looking into taking a break in schedule during the Copa America Centenario according to Bez. Would be great for us since Bradley and Altidore wouldn't miss games, and Giovinco would avoid missing some as well assuming he makes the Italian Euro squad since that will be going on at the time as well.
    It will be interesting to see how they do that, and finish the season earlier -- which was the impression we got from a couple of places, incl. playoff timing related to the Argos groundshare. Way more mid-week games I guess? That's really tough, also compared with European leagues -- when you consider MLS travel extremes, heat/altitude etc., small roster sizes, and salary cap leading to weak team depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Was it effective? Did we win? We were up 2-0 a good portion of the game. I'd rather dominate a game with less in stats than lose a game with more shots, possession etc
    Goals are a poor predictor of future results. xG is much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    probably best speculated after re entry draft in dec
    Speaking of that, is there a date set yet for the re-entry draft and/or a deadline for when teams must declare who will be eligible for it?

(I'm just anxious to put this season behind and start to see how we're being built/tweaked for next!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all going to depend on what main formation Vanney wants to use this upcoming year. The only thing that we 100 percent need is an actual destroyer DM, and a starting CB. A lot of people talk about how bad our CB's were, but how many times were let out to dry? Huge gaps between the mid and D. I love Cheyrou for what he is, but he can't play next to Bradley. I would love to retain him as he can start with whoever the new DM is within a 2 DM formation, but he's probably going to need a pay cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    This is all going to depend on what main formation Vanney wants to use this upcoming year. The only thing that we 100 percent need is an actual destroyer DM, and a starting CB. A lot of people talk about how bad our CB's were, but how many times were let out to dry? Huge gaps between the mid and D. I love Cheyrou for what he is, but he can't play next to Bradley. I would love to retain him as he can start with whoever the new DM is within a 2 DM formation, but he's probably going to need a pay cut.
    The CBs were pretty bad regardless of coverage. Some of errors we saw through the course of the season were outrageous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The CBs were pretty bad regardless of coverage. Some of errors we saw through the course of the season were outrageous.
    Didn't say they weren't bad, but they didn't give up the most goals in the league just because of our CB's. They aren't the worst the worst Cb pairing in the league. Not even close actually. I did write that I still think it's reasonable and what we need to get a starting CB this offseason. Perquis is good enough to start in an MLS top half CB pairing. I guarantee having a proper DM cover the CB's next season will take a huge load of the CB's back and adding a good starting CB from the start of the season will see that Goals Against go down quite dramatically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well they might not be the worst but they are well below the standards of the teams which are ahead of us in the standings. That's what we're judging against here. We might well have a better pairing than Phily, Orlando, or NYCFC but it's pointless to make that comparison when they were below us in the standings and had considerable defensive breakdowns in their own right.

Perquis was erratic throughout the year. If he settles he could be an asset but I have my doubts.

The coaching could be better, but without roster changes it's still putting lipstick on a pig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warners latest tweet thanking the SG's for the memories sure makes it sound like his option wasn't picked up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warner might be on the way out:

Collen Warner@collenwarner 24m24 minutes ago
    Thank you for the scarf and the moments I will never forget. @inebriatti @U_Sector @KingsInTheNorth @RedPatchBoys

5 retweets10 likes

Retweet

More

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do need a real DM. Cheyrou I like but he is not the destroyer we are looking for. People keep going on about Laba. Well I assume there is a lot of South American talent that we can grab on lesser wages then old Europeans. We have done it multiple times (Laba, Urruti, Gilberto) so lets do it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post

I would say we need a true, everyday starter at RB as well.

That position was an experiment all season, where we consistently tried to turn someone into a RB by playing them there out of their natural position.
    (Creavalle, Morrow, Delgado, Jackson... none of them are natural RB's).

Bloom returning should help, but at this point he's a backup. I don't think we can rely on him as an everyday starter after missing an entire year.

Jackson is a utility player. Always has been in this league, and at 27 that's not going to suddenly change now.
    That's not to say he can't be valuable to the team, but he shouldn't be relied on to be your everyday starting RB.

Williams could move back to RB if we bring in a steady CB, but again, he's only ever been a depth-type player in this league, and on a true contending team, that's all he should be.

The RB position was in a constant state of flux all season. It's something that needs to be addressed to help create a steady, cohesive backline for 2016.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Warner might be on the way out:

Collen Warner@collenwarner 24m24 minutes ago
    Thank you for the scarf and the moments I will never forget. @inebriatti @U_Sector @KingsInTheNorth @RedPatchBoys

5 retweets10 likes

Retweet

More

Warner wasn't a problem this season. He was valuable MF depth on a decent salary (150k-ish), so not really happy to see him go (if that's the case).

But if he is in fact leaving, that tells me they are planning on acquiring a new DM, hopefully a true destroyer, which is a good thing.
    Last edited by gdg_9; 11-04-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great analysis by Jason Devos and Kristian Jack on the state of TFC:

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-fc/tsn-fc...inish-and-more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warner wasn't a problem this season. He was valuable MF depth on a decent salary (150k-ish), so not really happy to see him go (if that's the case).

But if he is in fact leaving, that tells me they are planning on acquiring a new DM, hopefully a true destroyer, which is a good thing.
    Agreed. He was one of the few players we had on a good contract

What other players have contracts expiring this year? I think I read that Cheyrou was on a 1 year deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Devos is still rankled over the hire of Nelsen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think Devos is still rankled over the hire of Nelsen.
    Amongst other things. I can't stand him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ not the biggest fan, he has some issues he never seems to drop but I agree with him 100% in his assessment here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't listened yet but worried my bias will decide for me. Suspect I already know what he's said, been singing the same tune for a minute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They were bang on about the player assessment stuff.

The "Drogba shook my hand and the TFC players didn't" is your usual shite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say we need a true, everyday starter at RB as well.

That position was an experiment all season, where we consistently tried to turn someone into a RB by playing them there out of their natural position.
    (Creavalle, Morrow, Delgado, Jackson... none of them are natural RB's).

Bloom returning should help, but at this point he's a backup. I don't think we can rely on him as an everyday starter after missing an entire year.

Jackson is a utility player. Always has been in this league, and at 27 that's not going to suddenly change now.
    That's not to say he can't be valuable to the team, but he shouldn't be relied on to be your everyday starting RB.

Williams could move back to RB if we bring in a steady CB, but again, he's only ever been a depth-type player in this league, and on a true contending team, that's all he should be.

The RB position was in a constant state of flux all season. It's something that needs to be addressed to help create a steady, cohesive backline for 2016.

Williams doesnt have the pace to play RB,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    They were bang on about the player assessment stuff.

The "Drogba shook my hand and the TFC players didn't" is your usual shite.
    Yeah he's always got something to pick at. But IMO leadership is a bit of a problem around here. There is definitely something that needs to be tweaked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Williams doesnt have the pace to play RB,
    Agreed. Especially with the way Vanney seems to want the team to play.

That's why I said he should only be a depth player on a contending team. He can be a backup CB, with the ability to fill in at RB in emergency situations only (ie. if our new starting RB and Bloom both aren't available).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He doesn't balance Bradley enough. I love him to death with his ball control but his defensive mind isn't there anymore.
    I think he's past it. At the start of the season he was effective but the more we asked him to play two ways, or just defend, the less he could do for us. He's a great passer and obviously a good presence, but at his money he doesn't offer nearly enough and isn't consistent enough, due to age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larentowicz isn't a natural defender; he played his whole career as a midfielder wrecker, then Yallop moved him when his backline kept failing.