Page 53 of 98 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Your right pal. Perquis and Kantari are class. If they weren't playing for us they'd probably be at real or bayern. We don't need any more central defenders.
    Right, because those are the only three CBs we'd have to choose from...

If it were somehow possible to move Perquis, I'd hope we'd be able to find someone better than O'Dea for the money. Lots of other MLS teams do.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odea more effective then Perquis?

Go back and watch some of those games. Or read some of the threads from those games.

He's not good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh Williams has appeared on our roster from the MLS website page: http://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2016

As I suspected it looks like it was just a mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Odea more effective then Perquis?

Go back and watch some of those games. Or read some of the threads from those games.

He's not good enough.
    Over the course of a season in which Perquis misses a third of? Yes, definitely. Something is a lot better than an injured nothing. Especially when that nothing is costing you almost 400k.

And it's much easier to just go back to threads from last season to recall all the aggressive bone head plays Perquis made that wound up costing the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Curious, what do you think Perquis is worth?375k for 2/3s of a season? Personally, I think O'Dea even at 320k is much better bang for the buck.

Are there better CBs out there in world football? Obviously. Can Bez and Vanney spot them and sign them? Not likely. I don't think we're in a position to scoff at any MLS-level player who actually wants to play here.

This is a rather senseless argument. Look at that whole team, top to bottom.
    I think Perquis, fit, is worth 315-350k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh my gosh..its the annual bring O DEA back thread.im hoping the jays bring back john mcdonald and the leafs bring back clark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    oh my gosh..its the annual bring O DEA back thread.im hoping the jays bring back john mcdonald and the leafs bring back clark.
    O'Dea = Perquis with both > Kantari. Grade 'c', grade 'c', grade 'd'.

I think O'Dea is perhaps a slightly better player than Perquis because he can play wide quite effectively and although he makes occasional rash decisions, he's less consistently aggressive. But I don't see him as any great upgrade. If he came for 150-250K and we had a spare slot, sure, he's a decent second- or third-string CB at this level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THe one thing I wonder is why the only type of English player (or Italian, or Croatian, or...) we never sign is the one you can find most easily there and adapt cheapily to here, which is a DM. It's tough to find great anchors in NA because they need to read and react ahead of the ball delivery and close off open channels, which is why Laba is so good, and Alonso. But in Europe, even when leagues lack for physical skill or technical ability, most kids are taught to read the game at a much higher level from younger. Same with going to Italy or the Balkans. There's likely a great anchor there for not a ton of money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Dea is nothing, there's been an Iain Hume discussion every year of TFC's existence.

Let me get that underway this year with this highlight.
    http://talksport.com/football/video-...ng-goal-indian
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    O'Dea is nothing, there's been an Iain Hume discussion every year of TFC's existence.

Let me get that underway this year with this highlight.
    http://talksport.com/football/video-...ng-goal-indian
    honestly, I'd rather have Iain Hume than Herc Gomez :P
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/201...ampaign=Unpaid

Toronto FC
    ROSTERED PLAYERS (27 of 28 spots filled):
    GK (2): Alex Bono (GA), Quillan Roberts (HG)

DEF (11): Steven Beitashour, Mark Bloom, Nick Hagglund, Ahmed Kantari (INT'L), Ashtone Morgan (HG), Drew Moor, Justin Morrow, Damien Perquis (INT'L), Clement Simonin (INT'L), Josh Williams, Eriq Zavaleta

MID (9): Michael Bradley (DP), Jay Chapman (HG), Benoit Cheyrou (INT'L), Marky Delgado, Will Johnson, Daniel Lovitz, Chris Mannella (HG), Jonathan Osorio, Collen Warner

FWD (5): Jozy Altidore (DP), Sebastian Giovinco (DP, INT'L), Herculez Gomez, Jordan Hamilton (HG), Luke Moore (INT'L)

DESIGNATED PLAYERS (DP): 3
    HOMEGROWN PLAYERS (HG): 5
    INT'L ROSTER SPOTS FILLED (INT'L): 6
    GENERATION ADIDAS PLAYERS (GA): 1
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, I thought Simonin had a green card?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have to give our Centre Backs a chance - of all the positions on a team - it is the one that takes the most time to embed and to learn how your partners play. I'm Ok with giving Perquis and Kantari another season to settle in. They could come good - unless we've got some international class CB lined up - then let's be patient. Our shit defence has had as much to do with the mid-field as it has the defence over the last few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    I apologize for getting emotional..however I hate the Toronto attitude of the good guy, hard working but lacks talent guy being venerated.
    We have a great team going forward for 2016.... just need a GK

PEACE
    It's almost like you're going out of your way to not read why some of us rate O'Dea, it has nothing to do that soft serve you're projecting on us.

Bobo is bang on with their assessment, nothing else I need to add.
    Last edited by MartinUtd; 12-21-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perquis played 74% of all league games.

Same # as Altidore, Bradley, Findley.

Only 5 players started more games than him. Just bringing that up cuz i've read a few posts above that seem to insinuate we arn't getting out moneys worth with Perquis.

Overall I wouldn't have been against seeing O'Dea back, had we not signed Moor... But we did so it's a moot point in my eyes. No way they are adding another Cb, even if they do buy out Kantari. Still need that tendy, which I think the Kanari $ would pay for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damien Perquis is a good CB. There were times he was great and times he looked terrible - but when he was bad the whole back line was bad. He should shine a little more with compotent players around him and hopefully a semi experienced goalie to help organize things. And let's remember what we had at RB wasn't below MLS quality. It was WAY below MLS quality. I'm not sure if we even had a NASL quality RB last year.
    Last edited by Defoe; 12-21-2015 at 02:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yohan View Post
    honestly, i'd rather have iain hume than herc gomez
    this times 1000, Hume would be on less dollars as well

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Dea is not a #1 CD. He can't lead the back line.

O'Dea ia not fast enough to play RB/LB anymore in MLS, nor can he cross the ball.

O'Dea makes bad passing decisions and prefers to hoof it forward rather then find the outlet.

O'Dea gets easily flustered under pressure.

O'Dea can not protect against crosses - he holds an area, and does not anticipate where crosses are likely to go.

O'Dea is easily beaten in one on one situations that go to his right side.

Most MLS defenders have some issues. O'Dea has more then most. No thanks.

&

Anybody who thinks Perquis is "nothing" really needs to go back and look at, for example, that NYRB game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    O'Dea = Perquis with both > Kantari. Grade 'c', grade 'c', grade 'd'.
    So then where would Moor, Hagglund, Zavaleta and Simonin fit on this scale? Is Moor considered better than O'Dea? I think since we have Moor the point is moot. It would appear that experienced Domestic MLS defenders are a better dollar-for-performance value than their comparable internationals.
    Last edited by Initial B; 12-21-2015 at 08:23 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference O'Dea could possibly make is not worth the first inevitable mistake he makes. I'd think most people would prefer to watch someone new of equal value make said mistake.

O'Dea would get zero time from fans. I'm not saying he'd be the worst defender on our line, but to visit the O'Dea well, he'd have to be IMO.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we can basically assume Kantari is out. If you want O'Dea we have to find a way to remove Perquis from the lineup, which is much easier said than done.

I don't see the true upside of a move like this within a cap world. The effort that would be needed to find a partner willing to do a deal is better spent scouting for cheap depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Right, because those are the only three CBs we'd have to choose from...

If it were somehow possible to move Perquis, I'd hope we'd be able to find someone better than O'Dea for the money. Lots of other MLS teams do.
    ^This right here. The O'dea argument is is the same bullshit as when people bring up our former coaches - why don't we just move on to better rather than look at it so narrowly?

Regarding Chapman: I've seen a couple of players who I never thought would be anything and had loads of holes in their games but improved mightily. The thing we don't see, which might make the difference between a legit player and a Bekker, is how hard these guys work in practice / how well they listen to the coach / how much effort they put into improving their game.

I hold out some hope for the kid, although I think we are more likely prospects to come through. Manella has very little left to learn at the USL level - I think he's more than ready to get minutes for the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Official: Bendik to Orlando for conditional 4th round pick in the 2017 draft

Wish him luck but not a big loss for this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BREAKING: Orlando City has acquired goalkeeper Joe Bendik from Toronto. Read/highlights: http://orlan.do/1QUuMoL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good riddance to Joe Bendik!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Official: Bendik to Orlando for conditional 4th round pick in the 2017 draft

Wish him luck but not a big loss for this team.
    He's fallen quite a lot in value. Conditional 4th round = pretty well zero.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Good riddance to Joe Bendik!
    Why the hate? He had a good work ethic, maybe only a middling MLS 'keeper but not a destructive force like we've seen so many times in the past.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well at least we don't have to worry about Orlando getting any better with that trade so good for us in the Eastern conference. As a player he just made me miss Frei more. Also, maybe he didn't like the media attention or whatever but I never really liked his personality either. He always seemed to be in a pissy mood anytime the media asked him anything. Maybe he was different in the locker room...who knows. Time to move on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked O' Dea when he was here but Perquis is far better than he will ever be even with the occasional bursts of madness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik might yet develop into a serviceable MLS keeper. It's all a function of what his salary is. If it's $100K or less, I'll be disappointed we didn't keep him.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”