Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    If Vanney is still here next season (big if) then he and Bez need to get their ish together and find players that suit a style. Players were played out of position WAY too much this past season to be successful. The closest thing to a real setup was the narrow 4132. His 4231s were an absolute joke.
    The diamond was exposed badly with width in the NYRB game. I can't blame Vanney with switching systems after that. He knew it was figured out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    so is the issue asking Gio to drop back, he has the shot for it and already has the scoring title.

Altidore isnt a target man (though he has all the attributes of one), I don't see him with the versatility to play much else
    No way in hell does Giovinco get dropped back. He's there to score and setup goals, not to trackback or defend.

With a new coach, im sure he will close that titanic size gap between the mids and defenders which is the main reason why this team conceded so many goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    The diamond was exposed badly with width in the NYRB game. I can't blame Vanney with switching systems after that. He knew it was figured out.
    Everything was exposed at one time or another, such is life with an inept tactician. The bottom line is that is the system that best suited his players. Football isn't a game of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' where one formation trumps another. Good coaches tweak setups, not deploy a new one every time parking switches to the other side of the street. It's not as if this was a versatile team that could adapt to its opposition's strengths. When Vanney took over he constantly went on about "imposing our will" yet he seemed to be a step behind more often than not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything was exposed at one time or another, such is life with an inept tactician. The bottom line is that is the system that best suited his players. Football isn't a game of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' where one formation trumps another. Good coaches tweak setups, not deploy a new one every time parking switches to the other side of the street. It's not as if this was a versatile team that could adapt to its opposition's strengths. When Vanney took over he constantly went on about "imposing our will" yet he seemed to be a step behind more often than not.
    But those tweaks take time. Because of how narrow the diamond is, players need to rotate and cover where needed. That doesn't happen over 4-5 months. Real Salt Lake needed a one year of failure and midfield veterans like Grabavoy and Beckerman to make it work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are obvious balance problems with defense with Jozy and Seba playing together so I don't it matters how many numbers he puts up. I think it's a definite that he will be moved.
    yup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But those tweaks take time. Because of how narrow the diamond is, players need to rotate and cover where needed. That doesn't happen over 4-5 months. Real Salt Lake needed a one year of failure and midfield veterans like Grabavoy and Beckerman to make it work.
    While I agree, I would have bought that excuse last season, not after an entire full year. I certainly don't feel as though he deserves a pass for this year for his incompetence. It just didn't seem as though he had a vision this team and that is quite concerning moving forward. It shouldn't take a professional coach this long. I mean Findley became the failed Oduro experiment 2.0, but even worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which performance, the one where it took two red cards to beat a terrible defense and morally deflated team? They had done little up to the first sending off. Strikers as mids, centre-mids out wide, Seba as an isolated target man; setups started getting downright silly.
    The one where we beat NYRB and clinched the playoffs.

That one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's a little unfair. There are two versions of this club: the one that beats up on the basement dwellers in this league and plays pretty dominant football. The one that gets defensively exposed and looks futile against the better sides in MLS. With a few exceptions, that's generally how the season went. We're a mid table team in every sense.

I'm not a big fan of Vanney, but as a matter of debate, where do you think this roster ranks compared to others in the league when you subtract Seba ( and similarly subtract the other team's best player)? To me, that's pretty revealing.

Someone has to get more out of the other two DP's or simply do a better job identifying talent. I can't think of a top MLS club right now that doesn't have a better backline and a more rangy / intimidating DM.

Look Seba's great, but player-for-player we are not quite a top team yet (same goes in the coaching department too) but I hesitate to put 100% of the blame in one bucket or the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You would be surprised how a new experienced coach would make a world of a difference.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF, as Rollins suggests, we use TAM on a keeper, it ain't going to be Kennedy or somebody from within the league.

Who then?

Who would people like that is affordable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The one where we beat NYRB and clinched the playoffs.

That one.
    Ah, the one where "we" were second-best most of the night and needed a defensive howler and superhuman solo effort. Not quite the 90-minute performance that negates poor showing after poor showing and playing so many guys in positions where they can't excel.

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Vanney, but as a matter of debate, where do you think this roster ranks compared to others in the league when you subtract Seba ( and similarly subtract the other team's best player)? To me, that's pretty revealing.

Someone has to get more out of the other two DP's or simply do a better job identifying talent. I can't think of a top MLS club right now that doesn't have a better backline and a more rangy / intimidating DM.
    It's difficult to condemn the defensive personnel when their being led by a coach who doesn't seem to have a focus on defensive football. Not quite sure where his focus is to be honest. There aren't a lot of teams with fantastic defensive rosters. It's usually a case of decent guys who are put in positions to succeed within proper systems.

I'm not pinning all the blame on Vanney. Personally, I don't think Bez has done enough to keep his job either but Vanney has to be held accountable for poor team defense.

In any case, this thread is veering off-topic so perhaps a question to pose is: What is Vanney's preferred formation (assuming he stays) and what players are needed to ensure its success?

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    IF, as Rollins suggests, we use TAM on a keeper, it ain't going to be Kennedy or somebody from within the league.

Who then?

Who would people like that is affordable?
    As I mentioned earlier, from my vantage point it shouldn't be too difficult (or very expensive) to secure a loan for a young keeper at a respectable European club. And I know that it's not always a good idea to sign people in an attempt to appease players but I would start in Italy where there are a tonne of quality keepers. You always prefer stability and years of control but I think that within the league's current financial landscape, loanee keepers is a smart way to go.
    Last edited by Bobo; 11-02-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's difficult to condemn the defensive personnel when their being led by a coach who doesn't seem to have a focus on defensive football. Not quite sure where his focus is to be honest. There aren't a lot of teams with fantastic defensive rosters. It's usually a case of decent guys who are put in positions to succeed within proper systems.

I'm not pinning all the blame on Vanney. Personally, I don't think Bez has done enough to keep his job either but Vanney has to be held accountable for poor team defense.

In any case, this thread is veering off-topic so perhaps a question to pose is: What is Vanney's preferred formation (assuming he stays) and what players are needed to ensure its success?
    I don't know man. I look at the top six teams or so and at the very least their CBs are on-paper better than ours the minute they were signed. Kantari and Perquis came with damaged reputations when they showed up here (particularly the latter). Williams was never a starter quality on any other MLS team, I don't think ours should be any different. Nobody in the league is fielding a DM as slow as Cheyrou unless it's RSL with Beckerman and we all saw how that went this year. And while my knowledge of RBs in MLS isn't exactly fluid I'd bet we aren't ranking too favourably their either. Basically our case that we have the personelle back there is down to Morrow and that's about it. I get a new coach could get more out of the same group, but I highly doubt that's enough. The talent gap from the get-go is large.

I think the preferred formation has to be the 4-4-2 diamond. How else do you get both Seba and Altidore in the right spots?
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-02-2015 at 11:09 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know man. I look at the top six teams or so and at the very least their CBs are on-paper better than ours the minute they were signed. Kantari and Perquis came with damaged reputations when they showed up here (particularly the latter). Williams was never a starter quality on any other MLS team, I don't think ours should be any different. Nobody in the league is fielding a DM as slow as Cheyrou unless it's RSL with Beckerman and we all saw how that went this year. And while my knowledge of RBs in MLS isn't exactly fluid I'd bet we aren't ranking too favourably their either. Basically our case that we have the personelle back there is down to Morrow and that's about it. I get a new coach could get more out of the same group, but I highly doubt that's enough. The talent gap from the get-go is large.

I think the preferred formation has to be the 4-4-2 diamond. How else do you get both Seba and Altidore in the right spots?
    4-4-2 diamond needs a DM who can cover a lot of territory and an CAM who can feed the strikers. We don't have either.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    4-4-2 diamond needs a DM who can cover a lot of territory and an CAM who can feed the strikers. We don't have either.
    We need a DM who can cover more ground regardless of what formation we play, there is no way around that. The fact we don't have an out-and-out AM is mitigated by having multiple midfielders with excellent passing ranges and we have a box-to-box guy who (almost) plugs that gap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mannella + Chapman. Boom!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a DM who can cover more ground regardless of what formation we play, there is no way around that. The fact we don't have an out-and-out AM is mitigated by having multiple midfielders with excellent passing ranges and we have a box-to-box guy who (almost) plugs that gap.
    disagreed. 4-4-2 diamond needs a Javier Morales/Mauro Diaz calibre playmaker at CAM who can dictate the offence. Bradley from box to box role does not meet that criteria.

Kreis's RSL diamond had a midfield who were comfortable with ball, 2 CMs who covered a lot of ground and most importantly, drilled well as a team. 4-4-2 diamond is actually a hard formation to play esp defending. we're going to be a mid table team again if we do go 4-4-2 diamond.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, the one where "we" were second-best most of the night and needed a defensive howler and superhuman solo effort. Not quite the 90-minute performance that negates poor showing after poor showing and playing so many guys in positions where they can't excel.

You might want to go rewatch that game then.

Vanney switching to a 4-2-3-1 that night completely shut down NYRBs midfield that night. It's one of the few things he got spot on this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what concerns me, there are too many CMs who don't excel at anything. In a league where both players and coaches are generally lacking in football IQ, I don't like the idea of systems where players need to know when to pick up each other's slack. I think when dealing with MLS caliber players, it's best to build a team of players who have defined roles and are asked to stick to them. As much as I like Cheyrou and Bradley, if you can find a CDM destroyer and the elusive CAM playmaker, you need to make the sacrifices. Warner and Delgado are worth keeping as cheaper "versatile" subs. Keeping Oso is obviously a given.

Vanney switching to a 4-2-3-1 that night completely shut down NYRBs midfield that night. It's one of the few things he got spot on this year.
    It would be quicker just to revisit the statistics. The MLS is defined by those sorts of games, it might have been a special night but TFC were nothing special themselves. They couldn't string together more than two passes for long periods of that match. NY dominated at various times, but suffered for poor finishing. If Seba hadn't scored that wondergoal and TFC only managed a draw, (or perhaps worse, had Zubar not whiffed on that cross like an amateur) you probably wouldn't look back on the performance quite as fondly.
    Last edited by Bobo; 11-03-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really gotta say we ran that game, all the way through

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Really gotta say we ran that game, all the way through
    Did we? Sure, we limited an under strength NY side's chances, but we didn't create much ourselves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Did we? Sure, we limited an under strength NY side's chances, but we didn't create much ourselves.
    Was it effective? Did we win? We were up 2-0 a good portion of the game. I'd rather dominate a game with less in stats than lose a game with more shots, possession etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Was it effective? Did we win? We were up 2-0 a good portion of the game. I'd rather dominate a game with less in stats than lose a game with more shots, possession etc
    The Herc goal was incredibly lucky though to have Zubar completely fluff the clearance and then have Herc take maybe the weakest shot of his career right at Robles who essentially moved out of the way of his shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DPs I would take over Altidore

Centrebacks
    Pepe - Real Madrid

Attacking Mids
    Sneijder - Galatasaray
    Moutinho - Monaco
    Danny - Zenit
    Goulart - Guangzhou Evergrande

Defensive Mids
    De Rossi - Roma
    de Jong - Milan
    Arzura - Tigre

Forwards
    Ménez - Milan
    Alexandre Pato - São Paulo
    Torres - Atletico Madrid

Wingers
    Orellana - Celta Vigo
    Gervinho - Roma
    Varela - Porto
    Lavezzi - PSG
    Ribery - Bayern
    Robben - Bayern

Nani - Fenerbahçe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The Herc goal was incredibly lucky though to have Zubar completely fluff the clearance and then have Herc take maybe the weakest shot of his career right at Robles who essentially moved out of the way of his shot
    thats MLS for you though. you can win alot of games by capitalizing on the other teams mistakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Centrebacks
    Pepe - Real Madrid

Attacking Mids
    Sneijder - Galatasaray
    Moutinho - Monaco
    Danny - Zenit
    Goulart - Guangzhou Evergrande

Defensive Mids
    De Rossi - Roma
    de Jong - Milan
    Arzura - Tigre

Forwards
    Ménez - Milan
    Alexandre Pato - São Paulo
    Torres - Atletico Madrid

Wingers
    Orellana - Celta Vigo
    Gervinho - Roma
    Varela - Porto
    Lavezzi - PSG
    Ribery - Bayern
    Robben - Bayern

Nani - Fenerbahçe
    PEPE wont be the leader we need, he'll do fine himself but we need someone that can make those around him better

NANI we can convince, resurrect him like we did with giovinco, but then we have the similar situation of lacking defence. Although him and seba would be bagging a ton of goals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Centrebacks
    Pepe - Real Madrid

Pepe would be a disaster in this league, IMO.

First off, he would be a red card machine with PRO Refs.

Second, he doesn't exactly have the best reputation as a leader and good locker room guy.
    That is essential in this league, where you have guys making literally 100 x more than some of their teammates.
    DP's need to have certain off-field intangibles and be quality teammates, or you end up with a fractured room.

Pepe is not that guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheyrou was likely on a one-year deal plus team option for year 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arzura - Tigre

This is a good shout.

Young and relatively attainable.

Tigre have been punching above their weight in Argentina this season so he's for sure gonna have suitors from the bigger Argie clubs and abroad.

TAM could probably work for a player of that ilk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Pepe would be a disaster in this league, IMO.

First off, he would be a red card machine with PRO Refs.

Second, he doesn't exactly have the best reputation as a leader and good locker room guy.
    That is essential in this league, where you have guys making literally 100 x more than some of their teammates.
    DP's need to have certain off-field intangibles and be quality teammates, or you end up with a fractured room.

Pepe is not that guy.
    Pepe has actually been really decent with regards to cards in the last two seasons, certainly better than Ciman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    thats MLS for you though. you can win alot of games by capitalizing on the other teams mistakes
    Very true