Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not overly excited about this, I think the money would have been better spent on a proper DM. IMO they HAVE to play a two-DM formation now or we see last year's problems again, regardless of improvements to the backline.

--------------Jozy---------------
    -------------Seba---------------
    ---Osorio------------Johnson---
    ------Cheyrou-----Bradley------

My preference would be a narrow 4-2-3-1 with Seba more a support ST than CAM. And of course Bradley would have to buy into it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Meaning you will be spending far too much time at BMO and ?
    No comment

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May be off topic, but this seems to be where all the attention is!

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/12/usmnt-c...er-of-the-year

Congratulations to El Capitan!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Help me to understand this. We pick up two better than average players for second round picks. Did we fleece Vancouver and Portland, or are these players overrated?
    We did give up TAM... Little bit hard to vet that when MLS rules are so poorly disclosed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's only one, Will Johnson
    Ohhhhh, Will Johnson
    This is a good day in Walms World... Party Time... Excellent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We did give up TAM... Little bit hard to vet that when MLS rules are so poorly disclosed.
    And poorly implemented. Too often teams are forced to give up assets for nothing but it's nice to see TFC as the beneficiaries for a change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd rounder becomes 1st rounder if we meet certain goals.

Just a guess, but this is probably related to Johnson's number of appearances and our playoff performance as a team. Something like X number of appearances + winning a playoff round or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next up has to be a Kantari buy out and keeper signing... I just can't imagine who they sign from Europe if we don't stay within the league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Bingo Oldtimer and we should not be married to a diamond ship midfield either!
    The problem is with the composition of this squad. If TFC wants to play a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 we have a DP who will be nailed to the bench in Jozy as he is not a true 9. He plays better going at defenders versus playing with his back to goal. Which is a shame as he is such a big man he could cause trouble to the majority of the defenders in this league. And if we choose to move to towards this TFC would have to gut half the roster as they don't fit and this is where speed is required. As when using this pressing is critical.

As the squad is currently built you have two formations to play. 4-1-3-2 or 4-4-2 diamond. where you have Cheryou or another DM Warner? to play the holding spot and you would have Bradley, Osorio and Johnson as the 2 way box to box or Bradley on the top of the diamond.

The problem with the diamond formation is the midfield needs to gel as they can't all press in the attacking zone at once. they need to be able to read the situation and stay back and shift into space if someone jumps in. This is what needs to be worked on in training as if they don't Cheryou and the backline will be hung out to dry. Also, to provide width you need both of your fullbacks to be able to attack up the wings, but like anything they need to pick there spots

This would change if TFC were to acquire a Laba type CDM. That being said I would still take this version of the team then one with Laba, Gilberto and Defoe as our DP's
    Last edited by TheGoodson; 12-18-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care giving up draft picks if that's what it takes. There MIGHT be a Cyle Larin each draft, if you're lucky.

Moor, Beita and Willy instantly improve our squad overall.

Now we just have to lure a backup keeper from Europe who's itching to be a starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this. So much. I rarely get jerseys with names on them, but I may just have to get a Johnson one (so long as he gets a number that makes sense)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Not overly excited about this, I think the money would have been better spent on a proper DM. IMO they HAVE to play a two-DM formation now or we see last year's problems again, regardless of improvements to the backline.

--------------Jozy---------------
    -------------Seba---------------
    ---Osorio------------Johnson---
    ------Cheyrou-----Bradley------

My preference would be a narrow 4-2-3-1 with Seba more a support ST than CAM. And of course Bradley would have to buy into it.
    Jozy is not a target striker and as this team is constructed there is no way Bradley will sit back they have tried this already and every match he ends up trying to do to much when he plays that deep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you say press conference for well-known keeper?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    We have an extra 2nd pick from the Crevalle to Philly trade IIRC
    That was our only one. We traded one for Zavaletta.

So this being the second highest second means that Van gets our original pick #29, and Seattle gets the #27 from Crevalle trade for Zavaletta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

I took this more as a Press Release to announce a buyout or other player dump.
    No call required, just a press release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it has to do with the Bendik trade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-2-3-1 with Altidore up top, Bradley underneath, Johnson and Cheyrou in the middle and Seba and Oso on the wings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't have a keeper yet. 99.9% sure of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    I took this more as a Press Release to announce a buyout or other player dump.
    No call required, just a press release.
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think it has to do with the Bendik trade

This makes sense... they already announced his non-renewal. Trading his rights wouldn't require a media call, just a simple press release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matthew Doyle on recent TFC happenings: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...load-kids-more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    That was our only one. We traded one for Zavaletta.

So this being the second highest second means that Van gets our original pick #29, and Seattle gets the #27 from Crevalle trade for Zavaletta
    ahhhhh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping that they didn't just use some of this years TAM to pay for WJ (which I'm quite ambivalent over as a DM signing). They'll need this year's TAM to pay down whatever Goalkeeper they get to a $150K cap hit. Hmm, would paying $950K for a keeper be too much?

<Edit: Might we be playing a 4-3-3 with three central Midfielders? Seba and another speedy winger (still thinking Boakai) will provide the width up front. I wonder what Winter would do with this team... )
    Last edited by Initial B; 12-18-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly this offseason has been very reminiscent of DC United's a couple of seasons back except we're getting all the quality MLS players while they're still in their prime, as opposed to an old Saborio and Arnaud

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really like the Moor and Beitashour deals

Really really dubious about Johnson. Very Mo like. Odds of him stunting Osorio progress is high. Who did we not spend $400-500K on that we could have had instead?
    Last edited by ensco; 12-18-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather see us split the TAM we have between the keeper we sign and keeping the rest for a move later down the line.

Get a keeper that earns 500k-600k a year. That should shore things up nicely back there, and we'd still have a bunch of TAM left to sign another guy of equal pay (or even slightly more). We can evaluate needs heading into the summer transfer window and add a significant piece then, while moving out a guy we don't need to clear cap room.

Another interesting thing is that we could actually restructure someone's contract (Perquis for example) to pay them above the max budget charge, thus qualifying them for TAM funds, then spend a small amount of TAM to buy their budget charge down to open up more cap space.
    Last edited by notthesun; 12-18-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Really really dubious about Johnson. Very Mo like. Odds of him stunting Osorio progress is high. Who did we not spend $400-500K on that we could have had instead?
    Remember Mo Johnston signing DM after DM? Oh the irony given our current circumstances.

That said: maybe something you address via the draft? NCAA isn't bad at producing those types.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably some random internationals who may or may not pan out in MLS. Would be a roll of the dice like we usually do when scouting cheaper international talent and our record in that area has not been great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great players earn there way into the starting 11. They earn there playing time. The fact Osorio might not be starting in favour of Johnson is a good thing imo. Let him develop more. If you follow my posts Im not exactly high on Osorio I think he's more of a depth/role player in this league but that's a conversation for a different day.

I like the move. Like the blue jays adding gritty team players like Martin and Donaldson - TFC following suit with Johnson. moor as well.

Depth is what we need - and depth is what we're getting. Solid moves so far. Really hoping for a GK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually we like all three acquisitions. We still remember the 'bad' break Johnson suffered at BMO.
    Perhaps this will be a "lucky" break for Johnson and TFC. Now just waiting for word on a GK?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayMolly View Post
    Actually we like all three acquisitions. We still remember the 'bad' break Johnson suffered at BMO.
    Perhaps this will be a "lucky" break for Johnson and TFC. Now just waiting for word on a GK?
    I'm okay with them all too. At least they are all proven MLS players.

I agree a destroyer DM would have been great but with a proper, consistent system, the midfield pieces we have now could work. Not sure I would count on a proper, consistent system though. Seen no signs of that over the last 1 year+.