Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Quick math on the moves so far, plus a little projecting...

Out:

Findley - 255k
    Jackson - 192k
    Bendik - 157k
    Konopka - 66k
    Kantari - 345k (free buy-out)

Aparicio was also released but he would have been part of roster slots 21-28 and thus didn't count against the cap.

Total: 1.015 million

In:

Moor - 311k (assuming max 15% raise)
    Beitashour - 226k (again a 15% raise, though this could be less)
    Johnson - 334k (last year of his current contract, we'd have to take this on)

Total: 871k

These moves would leave us with 144k to work with vs. what we had on our books last year, generally assumed to be pretty tight against the cap. After these moves the biggest need would be starting GK, then a DM. We know for a fact we'll be signing a keeper at the very least. We have a lot of TAM to use, but you still need to fit potentially two more guys under the cap with their reduced budget charges (unless you buy down their entire cap hit - if you're allowed to do that).

If we do sign Johnson, it seems like we're getting pretty close to where we were last year but still with a significant piece or two missing. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Zavaleta traded for some allocation money or a draft pick. I say Zavaleta because Williams is the clear #3, management is very high on Simonin, and Hagglund probably has no cap hit (part of roster slots 21-28, and even if he does he only earns 60k, like Simonin). Moving Zavaleta would save another 115k and make it much easier to fit two guys in with the TAM we have.
    I suspect they might trade Gomez; he's on a hit for a third- or fourth-string striker, and has admirers in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Moor's actually undersized, too. Garcia had a good rep until he lost his speed, although I sure as hell hope Moor has better positional sense.
    To everything you wrote in that post: That's what she said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect they might trade Gomez; he's on a hit for a third- or fourth-string striker, and has admirers in the league.
    I think they will hold onto him because of the Copa America and Euro. Very real possibility we lose both our starting strikers for a month and change. The 2 week break from the league will help a little but we still need a backup plan. I'm pretty sure Gomez and Moore are that backup plan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they will hold onto him because of the Copa America and Euro. Very real possibility we lose both our starting strikers for a month and change. The 2 week break from the league will help a little but we still need a backup plan. I'm pretty sure Gomez and Moore are that backup plan.
    Yeah tend to agree, think itll be a CB seeing as we havea ton of em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recording of Moor's conference call: http://sportspodcastingnetwork.com/2...nference-call/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As with Bradley and Altidore, but especially for Gomez ... these are badly underutilized assets from an MLS POV.

Gomez would actually move the needle in Houston or SJ or Colorado in terms of ticket sales.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    To everything you wrote in that post: That's what she said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Had conversation with guy I know (brother of Sports Science director for the Timbers: Milonas) apparently Urruti's option takes him from 200k a year to 700k and Johnson is NOT a great dressing room player
    On the way out and is a bad dressing room guy or choose to represent his national team and miss a couple games and gets labeled "a bad dressing room guy". Lets not forget manning had him in Salt Lake and if he was a bad guy in the room we would be sticking clear of him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

700k for Urruti...
    Lol good for you Payne, good for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    700k for Urruti...
    he's gotta be done with MLS, thats no where near what hes worth in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Dallas picked him up in the 1st round of re-enrty with the 1st pick that they traded for, so i'm going to guess he is one of their TAM targets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Nobody is going to pay him that anywhere. At the time he left 200k was below his market value. So it looks like they heavily backloaded the contract.

Although these are option years - so either he'd get a decent payday to stay in the league or potentially have an easy out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    On the way out and is a bad dressing room guy or choose to represent his national team and miss a couple games and gets labeled "a bad dressing room guy". Lets not forget manning had him in Salt Lake and if he was a bad guy in the room we would be sticking clear of him.
    Yeah the stuff re: Johnson is really just speculation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick math on the moves so far, plus a little projecting...

Out:

Findley - 255k
    Jackson - 192k
    Bendik - 157k
    Konopka - 66k
    Kantari - 345k (free buy-out)

Aparicio was also released but he would have been part of roster slots 21-28 and thus didn't count against the cap.

Total: 1.015 million

In:

Moor - 311k (assuming max 15% raise)
    Beitashour - 226k (again a 15% raise, though this could be less)
    Johnson - 334k (last year of his current contract, we'd have to take this on)

Total: 871k

These moves would leave us with 144k to work with vs. what we had on our books last year, generally assumed to be pretty tight against the cap. After these moves the biggest need would be starting GK, then a DM. We know for a fact we'll be signing a keeper at the very least. We have a lot of TAM to use, but you still need to fit potentially two more guys under the cap with their reduced budget charges (unless you buy down their entire cap hit - if you're allowed to do that).

If we do sign Johnson, it seems like we're getting pretty close to where we were last year but still with a significant piece or two missing. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Zavaleta traded for some allocation money or a draft pick. I say Zavaleta because Williams is the clear #3, management is very high on Simonin, and Hagglund probably has no cap hit (part of roster slots 21-28, and even if he does he only earns 60k, like Simonin). Moving Zavaleta would save another 115k and make it much easier to fit two guys in with the TAM we have.
    Wouldn't there also be an additional amount in for half of Gomez' salary as he arrived mid-season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TearsForCheers View Post
    Wouldn't there also be an additional amount in for half of Gomez' salary as he arrived mid-season?
    Player union salaries should be taken with a grain of salt in the first place, but although I don't think it's ever been confirmed anywhere I had thought the full-season amounts are reported even if players are brought it for half a year. If the current numbers are only reporting half of Gomez' salary then he'd be on 522k, which is pretty much impossible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had to have the most expensive bench in the league last season. We have to spend more wisely in that regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    We had to have the most expensive bench in the league last season. We have to spend more wisely in that regard.
    Is that the case? It certainly didn't feel like it....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Is that the case? It certainly didn't feel like it....
    Maybe. We, at a lot of times, had Bendik, Moore, Gomez, Jackson, and one of Kantari or Perquis on the bench. That's a lot of bread spread around on guys who never played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Maybe. We, at a lot of times, had Bendik, Moore, Gomez, Jackson, and one of Kantari or Perquis on the bench. That's a lot of bread spread around on guys who never played.
    I think we had the same problem in 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

One down.
    What the hell is wrong with TFC? A glaring need for quality defence and we get another aged player nearing the end of his career... Oh and coming back from ACL surgery as wel

I truly despair
    Last edited by General Woolfe; 12-16-2015 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    What the hell is wrong with TFC? A glaring need for quality defence and we get another aged player nearing the end of his career...

I truly despair
    Yes, truly a terrible move to bring in one of the best defenders in the league in recent years, with lots of experience and an MLS cup to his name. Not to mention that pairing him with someone like Perquis, who has now had a year in MLS to adapt and when playing with a competent partner could should be very solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    From a pure salary standpoint, absolutely. From an impact on the field perspective.... atrocious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell is wrong with TFC? A glaring need for quality defence and we get another aged player nearing the end of his career... Oh and coming back from ACL surgery as wel

I truly despair
    lmao.
    Toronto till I die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    700k for Urruti...
    Where you see this?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't keep them in Columbus once they've seen the sights of Gay Downsview.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Yes, truly a terrible move to bring in one of the best defenders in the league in recent years, with lots of experience and an MLS cup to his name. Not to mention that pairing him with someone like Perquis, who has now had a year in MLS to adapt and when playing with a competent partner could should be very solid.
    I'm not doubting his ability, but the shortsightedness of it all. 31 years old, recent ACL surgery, not to mention his salary? A points to a risk. What do we have against going out and getting a solid proven defender in his prime? An investment in the future. Someone to build the defence around for years to come. This move seems more of the same to me. An aging defender who might well end up being a rock, but is also one injury away from disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see where you're coming from and I thought about the same things when I saw his age and injury history. However, we do have a good group of young cb prospects so maybe an experienced leader is worth the gamble.

Also, the more I think about it, is Kantari really that bad? We all talk about perquis having a full year under him and improving for 2016 but what about Kantari? He had to try and settle mid season which we know is difficult, even for dp's. Is it really worth giving up on him now? I guess the Moor signing shows what management thinks and you have to give them the benefit of the doubt but I still wonder if it's a premature move to appease fans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not doubting his ability, but the shortsightedness of it all. 31 years old, recent ACL surgery, not to mention his salary? ...
    He came back from that ACL to be an all star. 31 is prime age for a defender. He'll be around for 3. Good CD's at the age of 26 are tough to find and usually have to be grown. The defence can be built around him.

Perquis is still actively talked about by the team in its promos. He was far and away the better of the two. Kantari is either traded or bought out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not doubting his ability, but the shortsightedness of it all. 31 years old, recent ACL surgery, not to mention his salary? A points to a risk. What do we have against going out and getting a solid proven defender in his prime? An investment in the future. Someone to build the defence around for years to come. This move seems more of the same to me. An aging defender who might well end up being a rock, but is also one injury away from disaster.
    IIRC the ACL in Aug 2014 ago was his first major injury ever. He holds the record for most consecutive game played record. Looking at his playing record, he hardly missed a game. ACL is a question mark, but he looked like he fully recovered.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/drew-moor
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano