0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Three salaries that need to go:
    Gomez at 240
    Moore at 215
    Kantari at 300

Simply too much money across three guys I don't see in the starting 11.
    Two of those were moves aimed at bolstering our club in the summer, in which neither of them contributed positively & consistently (Bez dropped the ball)

How do you get those guys off the books?
    We have 1 buy out available, the two others you would need to get creative.

Best case scenario for me is someone in Europe is willing to take kantari on a free transfer, buy out moore and keep gomez as your 3rd striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gomez at 240
    Moore at 215
    Kantari at 300

Two of those were moves aimed at bolstering our club in the summer, in which neither of them contributed positively & consistently (Bez dropped the ball)

I would even add Altidore @ $436,250 to that list. I think that a $300-400k cap hit is more appropriate for him.

To get them off the books, simple:

(D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT

Clubs may have the ability to buy out one player who has a Guaranteed Contract. Details follow below:

• A club may buy out one (1) player who has a Guaranteed (including a DP’s) Contract during the offseason and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the MLS club’s expense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree that all 3 need to go. Think only one at this moment for me, Kantari.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moore is the easiest of the 3 to move I think. He would have suitors in the Championship or League One.

Kantari should be bought out. Gomez is going to stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now before we start saying these guys have to come off the books, didn't Garber or MLS FO mention something recently that the 2016 Salary Cap being raised more than the Collective Bargaining negotiated 7%? There might be more room under the cap than we think.

Edit: Looking at the 2015 Cap of $3.49M, next year should be $3.734M. Perhaps they'll bump it up to $3.8-4M?

That said, I'm thinking that perhaps we're nearing a point where it's not economically optimal to have 3 DPs on a roster. The 12.5% cap hit for each DP is eating up more and more salary that could be used for a higher quality of starter - as shown by NYRB and Dallas this year.
    Last edited by Initial B; 12-01-2015 at 01:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gomez at 240
    Moore at 215
    Kantari at 300

Pick one and give the boot - probably the highest, then wait out the rest. Use your TAM to bail you out on a good player you need.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While Moore isn't exciting by any means he is not out of line with typical backup MLS strikers.

I'd be inclined to keep him around for the sake of less turnover. Stability where we can afford it will help this team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need forward depth because Altidore and possibly Giovinco will be gone for Copa/Euros. MLS looks like it'll take a couple weeks off but I'm fine with keeping both Moore and Gomez. Don't want to rely too much on Hamilton/Babouli.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    While Moore isn't exciting by any means he is not out of line with typical backup MLS strikers.

I'd be inclined to keep him around for the sake of less turnover. Stability where we can afford it will help this team.
    Not looking at the price tag per se but their utility.

Moore is Altidore's sub. Both hold up players and header flick-ons. No foot speed but can take a body and beating. Poacher style. I'd keep him in case Jozy is called up or injured.

Gomez can take over RW to replace Findley for sure. Can slot in as a striker. He's more effective there over Jackson or any other players we have. So most likely he'll be kept.

Kantari.. well... at 300K... I'd drop
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While cutting Moore might not be possible this time around, I surely hope Manning/Vanney do not fool themselves that his contribution justifies his 200K+ cap hit.
    If Luke has value, as some suggest, may be this is the time to move him, and bring in somebody who has a pulse, for a change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we can somehow get rid of moore i would still look to bring in a vet striker.

Maybe earnshaw on a smaller cap hit than Moore and have him as the 4th striker. Hamilton needs to show a little more in USL and Babouli may end up being more of a wide player, with the international calendar this coming year we could use more depth than usual up front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty sad about Jackson, i think he was good value, depth and energy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am waiting patently to see what happens with the Omar Gonzalez situation. If the league makes new rules for LA it will only help us lol. Have heard other teams squabble about the same salary cap bump and that TAM can be renegotiated every year. Since LA used all $500,000 TAM last year even with a rule change can't see them keeping Omar.

Hope the inflate the cap more give Bez more room. Need a real DM no question..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Toronto FC’s 2016 roster as it currently stands:
    Goalkeepers (2): Alex Bono, Quillan Roberts
    Defenders (9): Mark Bloom, Nick Hagglund, Ahmed Kantari, Ashtone Morgan, Justin Morrow, Damien Perquis, Clement Simonin, Josh Williams, Eriq Zavaleta
    Midfielders (8): Michael Bradley, Jay Chapman, Benoit Cheyrou, Marky Delgado, Daniel Lovitz, Chris Mannella, Jonathan Osorio, Collen Warner
    Forwards (5): Jozy Altidore, Sebastian Giovinco, Herculez Gomez, Jordan Hamilton, Luke Moore

So we only need to sign a keeper. Q can serve as a decent back up while Bono is getting minutes with TFCII. I'd like to see Babouli signed to a first team contract. We need to bring in a strong DM and a serviceable RB and maybe some speed for the wings.
    S
    Related News & Media

I look at all those centrebacks and think to myself that we need to move one. It's a waste of a roster spot to have 6 centrebacks. I'd shop around Hagglund/Zavaleta/Simonin on an MLS/NASL loan deal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    I am waiting patently to see what happens with the Omar Gonzalez situation. If the league makes new rules for LA it will only help us lol. Have heard other teams squabble about the same salary cap bump and that TAM can be renegotiated every year. Since LA used all $500,000 TAM last year even with a rule change can't see them keeping Omar.

Hope the inflate the cap more give Bez more room. Need a real DM no question..
    I would be shocked, massively shocked, if MLS doesn't make a 4th DP spot for some specific player type (domestic, under 30) to let LA keep a beloved US international.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I look at all those centrebacks and think to myself that we need to move one. It's a waste of a roster spot to have 6 centrebacks. I'd shop around Hagglund/Zavaleta/Simonin on an MLS/NASL loan deal
    I agree that we need upgrades at the back, however I prefer to be patient with these young players and keep them around and let them develop. They've all shown moments of being MLS caliber. Hagglund is still only 23 and had an injury plagued year. We burned a high draft pick on Simonin and passed on the likes of Tim Parker and Axel Sjoberg, but he was also injured and never really got an opportunity with the club. They hyped him up for his ball playing ability so in theory he should add a different look to the back line. Zavaleta's also only 23 and he's had moments of being a steady defender. He's also a converted striker and CB is probably the most difficult position for young players to learn 'on the job' in this league. He needs coaching but he's still good for 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Another guy is Skylar Thomas. Maybe was a reach to take him so high in the draft but he's local, only 22 and he looked good for Canada in Olympic qualifying. Also was apparently one of TFC II's best players. He could push for a spot on the first team next season.

Seeing what Pareja did in Dallas this year has set a new precedent for Homegrowns/young players. It's low risk, high reward keeping these guys around and if necessary, let them develop through playing time with TFC II. After all, wasn't that the whole point of MLS operated USL teams, so young players had the opportunity to develop? Loaning these guys out to NASL clubs is an option, but it's a gamble since the NASL seems to favor the 25+ journeyman, and is hardly known for developing young players. Personally would rather keep them in house where you know exactly what kind of coaching they're getting, the system of play, etc. Just my 2 cents!
    Last edited by FC_Hali; 12-01-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FC_Hali View Post
    I agree that we need upgrades at the back, however I prefer to be patient with these young players and keep them around and let them develop. They've all shown moments of being MLS caliber. Hagglund is still only 23 and had an injury plagued year. We burned a high draft pick on Simonin and passed on the likes of Tim Parker and Axel Sjoberg, but he was also injured and never really got an opportunity with the club. They hyped him up for his ball playing ability so in theory he should add a different look to the back line. Zavaleta's also only 23 and he's had moments of being a steady defender. He's also a converted striker and CB is probably the most difficult position for young players to learn 'on the job' in this league. He needs coaching but he's still good for 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Another guy is Skylar Thomas. Maybe was a reach to take him so high in the draft but he's local, only 22 and he looked good for Canada in Olympic qualifying. Also was apparently one of TFC II's best players. He could push for a spot on the first team next season.

Seeing what Pareja did in Dallas this year has set a new precedent for Homegrowns/young players. It's low risk, high reward keeping these guys around and if necessary, let them develop through playing time with TFC II. After all, wasn't that the whole point of MLS operated USL teams, so young players had the opportunity to develop? Loaning these guys out to NASL clubs is an option, but it's a gamble since the NASL seems to favor the 25+ journeyman, and is hardly known for developing young players. Personally would rather keep them in house where you know exactly what kind of coaching they're getting, the system of play, etc. Just my 2 cents!
    I'm not saying get rid of one altogether, I'm saying that we should look at getting one a loan because one of them is inevitably going to be the odd one out and TFC II is not for the MLS fringe player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    pretty sad about Jackson, i think he was good value, depth and energy
    They cut Jackson?? When? Where? Whyyy?
    He was good for what he was. Sheesh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

major announcement 11am Dec 2? anyone know anything about this, New Coach, Possible Goalie Buffon!!! lol.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I would be shocked, massively shocked, if MLS doesn't make a 4th DP spot for some specific player type (domestic, under 30) to let LA keep a beloved US international.
    Klinnsman doesn't seem to love him anymore.

I'd be more inclined to think MLS will change the rules so LAG can bring in somebody else bigger while letting Gonzalez go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ANTZ View Post
    major announcement 11am Dec 2? anyone know anything about this, New Coach, Possible Goalie Buffon!!! lol.
    MLS announcement at Air Canada Centre

Not MLSE

Seba as MVP.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few tidbits in the article by Molinaro http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-tfc-mls-major-league-soccer-jackson-konopka-bendik-findley-aparacio/

Findley wants to be closer to his family.

Vanney says letting go the two keepers is so Bono and Roberts have a path to the starting position.

But, they want a #1 keeper.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    We have 1 buy out available, the two others you would need to get creative.

Best case scenario for me is someone in Europe is willing to take kantari on a free transfer, buy out moore and keep gomez as your 3rd striker.
    I can only hope ...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ANTZ View Post
    Gio mvp ?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gomez at 240
    Moore at 215
    Kantari at 300

What is the point of having 240k tied up in a player like Gomez who doesn't even play?

Moore is average.

Kantari is awful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    A few tidbits in the article by Molinaro http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-tfc-mls-major-league-soccer-jackson-konopka-bendik-findley-aparacio/

Findley wants to be closer to his family.

Vanney says letting go the two keepers is so Bono and Roberts have a path to the starting position.

But, they want a #1 keeper.
    Glad to hear that Findley definitely isn't coming back. His spot is better used on someone cheaper, younger, and frankly, better!

Also of note...
    "The club is looking for a veteran goalie both inside and outside MLS."

So the obvious candidates in MLS are Tally Hall and Kennedy... I wonder who they're looking at from other leagues?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire up the Transfermark free agent GK list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    What is the point of having 240k tied up in a player like Gomez who doesn't even play?
    Gomez fits the part of mentor to the younger guys very well as he has done a lot, seen a lot and doesn't appear to mope when he doesn't get playing time. He came late in the season and hadn't played for a few months before arriving here. When he did get time on the pitch he did remarkably well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    Gomez fits the part of mentor to the younger guys very well as he has done a lot, seen a lot and doesn't appear to mope when he doesn't get playing time. He came late in the season and hadn't played for a few months before arriving here. When he did get time on the pitch he did remarkably well.
    It's a good thing Vanney didn't use him to see if he would be worth keeping though

Honestly I have no idea if he still has it or can last as a reliable player for a full season and that's something that we should have figured out down the stretch last season. I will say that if we keep him and he gets a similar amount of playing time through Vanney as he did this year then Vanney will have proven he has no hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should have kept Konopka.