Page 18 of 98 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The thing I'm looking forward to most this off season is getting a decent keeper.

I'm not looking forward to us avoiding the issues of a DM and right side midfield, although I'm hoping that Delgado can be that RM.

Remind me, is there anybody young on the depth chart we can bring up to try to get time to learn to be a decent DM at this level? We don't have to buy everything.

My understanding is Champman, Aparicio and Manella are not that defensive minded.
    I wouldn't say Manella is not defensive-minded - he has played CB a bunch and seems to mostly sit in front of the back four.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remind me, is there anybody young on the depth chart we can bring up to try to get time to learn to be a decent DM at this level? We don't have to buy everything.

My understanding is Champman, Aparicio and Manella are not that defensive minded.
    Manella is a defensive midfielder actually. Chapman and Aparicio are more advanced (not sure how much of a future Aparicio really has to be honest... hasn't really taken that next step since signing his homegrown deal).

But we definitely need to bring in a proven player for that role.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never liked Konopka, for 1 reason.
    That fu**er stole a RPB from me.

Long story.

If TFC is going all USMNT, go get Rimando and Beckerman.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, so we should be bringing Manella into games knowing darn well he needs to learn. Like every other MLS team, we have to learn to accept that players at MLS level need to grow into that level by playing at that level.

The brain trust has already indicated they don't think an experienced DM is necessary but that Cheyrou and team defence can do the job in that role - I remain unconvinced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I'm looking forward to most this off season is getting a decent keeper.

I'm not looking forward to us avoiding the issues of a DM and right side midfield, although I'm hoping that Delgado can be that RM.

Delgado should have started there in the playoff game over Findley.
    That was one of Vanney's biggest mistake of his TFC career so far IMO (along with the Creavalle RB debacle).
    Knowing Jackson can be a defensive liability at FB at times, Delgado's defensive responsibility should have helped cover better than Findley, a converted FW who plays zero defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me i would have put Jackson at RM, he should never be considered a RB again... Hagglund, Morrow etc are both better options than Jackson is at RB.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the contracts signed last year are terrible and limit our moves this offseason. There are some that will move on or come in at a lower price this year along with TAM, that is TFC's only play to get the help they want.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The brain trust has already indicated they don't think an experienced DM is necessary but that Cheyrou and team defence can do the job in that role - I remain unconvinced.
    This is actually true but if Vanney knew how to do that then he would have done it in the 47 matches he had in charge already. That aspect more than anything else leaves me unconvinced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the absolute mininmum we need is a starting GK and a DM.

CB's havent been good but to be fair they never were really given the proper set up to succeed. Should we expect more with the money they are on? Yes. But we are limited in our off-season moves. We can't just sell or trade everyone.

We also don't know the complete facts about contract situations. If Findley or Moore have one more year they are basically unmovable. Bendik signed a new deal at least a year-and-a-half ago, maybe that is up this Jan?

Not getting a new keeper and DM would be criminal honestly. Two key positions in our spine.

Cheyrou is not a DM. We had all of this past year to figure that out.

Something that might go in our favour is the Omar situation at LA Galaxy. They used up all their TAM last year to pay down his contract. Now I have been reading that the TAM amount and rules can be renegotiated every year? We could benefit in a big way from this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Some of the contracts signed last year are terrible and limit our moves this offseason. There are some that will move on or come in at a lower price this year along with TAM, that is TFC's only play to get the help they want.
    a few of those contracts end at the end of this year which should make room, i think something like 500-700k

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup, a couple open things up a bit. But some of the ones we are under are not desirable and hamper the ability to fill all the gaps we will need to fill. Just some frustrations I have heard blowing in the wind.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup, a couple open things up a bit. But some of the ones we are under are not desirable and hamper the ability to fill all the gaps we will need to fill. Just some frustrations I have heard blowing in the wind.
    Ugh, Déjā vu all over again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have to stop overpaying for mediocrity. That's a sure way to fail in a salary capped league. I thought with Bez at the helm we were positioned better to get great deals out there. So much waste within our budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any truth to the rumor that MLS FO might increase the salary cap by more than 7% they agreed to in the CBA? Could they possibly bump it up to $4 million, or are the cheapskate owners going to fight that tooth and nail?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Any truth to the rumor that MLS FO might increase the salary cap by more than 7% they agreed to in the CBA? Could they possibly bump it up to $4 million, or are the cheapskate owners going to fight that tooth and nail?
    Where did you see that rumor?

The only thing that's been rumored is increasing TAM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i hear ya, one big question is whether Bez sees the same issues we do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    We have to stop overpaying for mediocrity. That's a sure way to fail in a salary capped league. I thought with Bez at the helm we were positioned better to get great deals out there. So much waste within our budget.
    A bean counter can tell you what looks like a good contract on paper but he can't scout talent. He should be an assistant at most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming both Kantari and Perquis are locked in for next year? But we could use a buyout on one of them.
    Findley's deal should be done now. If they locked him in for more than one season then Bez should be fired.
    Jackson has some value and I wouldn't mind keeping him.
    Gomez can go or stay, but I imagine they probably had to sign him for next year as well.
    Moore should be gone too unless they fucked up his deal too.
    Should all free up some space to sign a good midfielder and wide player. Solidify the midfield and the defense will allow a lot fewer goals. I'm not too worried about not having mUchida wiggle room to improve the back line since those signings always turn out to be as bad as the players they replaced, but for a lot more money. I'm sure an economic RB can be found internally via trade, draft, or a hg signing. For CB, I think we have to stick with what we've got minus Kantari, and hope that they stay healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Bloom is good to go for next season:

edit: Assuming we pick up his option

Last edited by notthesun; 11-23-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to say that id be tempted to give Kantari another season but we dont have teh cap or roster room so he should be bought out.
    Findlay should go as well, and Bendik. That alone is something close to 600k, toss Moore on top who i dont mind but we have Gomez and i prefer him, thats close to 750k no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again this should all be obvious to Bez and if its not, im going to be disappointed, especially if we dont get a solid CB, DM and RB. Even more to that point if we do the same or worse re: playoffs next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tying into what Phil said earlier, some interesting comments from Sigi

I’m trying not to get in trouble with the things that I say. But I think overall, if you asked all the clubs, the salary cap did not go up as much as a lot of people expected it to go up. As a result of that, everybody’s numbers got squeezed this past season. The way the league works; you have the salary cap and this other pot of money called allocation. A lot of teams, in order to make the salary cap work in 2015, they used their allocation. Now, when you use your pot of allocation, you’re technically over the cap, so now are those players going to re-sign for less? You’re over the cap, you don’t have this pot of money. That’s going to be the difficult thing. The things some teams make it work — L.A., ourselves at times — sometimes you trade for money. But now teams don’t have money to trade. From economic terms, if you want to call it a market correction, I don’t think that’s the right term, per se. Some business people might look at it that way. But it’s definitely going to squeeze that group in the middle and guys are going to have to make tough decisions.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see Mannella get time in preseason with the first teamers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small tidbit from Neil Davidson's article. Bez is on a scouting trip in Europe.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle27439071/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

of course, where weve had so much success and players come for dirt cheap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a LM, RM, CB, GK and a RB assuming bloom doesn't return fit.

Jonathan Osorio is not a LM, Delgado is not a RM. We need actual wingers. You know, guys with pace, who can take guys on and get crosses in, the kind that every team left in the playoffs have. This team had no width all season. We need actual width. Don't put slow CMs on the wing and pretend they are wingers, its stupid.
    Last edited by Soccerpro; 11-23-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

i wonder if he's looking for another overpriced CB in France.

He should be in South America, not Uerope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    We need a LM, RM, CB, GK and a RB assuming bloom doesn't return fit.

Jonathan Osorio is not a LM, Delgado is not a RM. We need actual wingers. You know, guys with pace, who can take guys on and get crosses in, the kind that every team left in the playoffs have. This team had no width all season. We need actual width. Don't put slow CMs on the wing and pretend they are wingers, its stupid.
    The team isn't set up to play with wide players. What you are seeing is intentional. These guys are designed to drift inside, connect the play and then the fullbacks are supposed to fill that space.

Could we use wingers? Sure - but that's also a switch from our current setup. All else equal we need better fullbacks to accomplish what you are talking about. There is plenty of space out there on the flank if someone could use it properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The team isn't set up to play with wide players. What you are seeing is intentional. These guys are designed to drift inside, connect the play and then the fullbacks are supposed to fill that space.

Could we use wingers? Sure - but that's also a switch from our current setup. All else equal we need better fullbacks to accomplish what you are talking about. There is plenty of space out there on the flank if someone could use it properly.
    It wouldn't hurt to have a decent winger in the setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I don't see how the current formation and personnel we have is ever going to make use of the space on the wings. I know Vanney's plan is to have the wing backs push up into the space every time, but it pretty much never happened, and I don't see it happening in the future. It's just wishful thinking. I mean, it's naive to expect a wing back to be able to run the length of the field every time a CM has the ball.

Look at Columbus, they have the perfect, fast as hell wing backs that get forward into the play, but they still have Ethan Finley and to a lesser extent, Meram, who get out on the wings and take players on.
    Last edited by Soccerpro; 11-23-2015 at 09:34 PM.