Page 15 of 98 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't think you can put it 100% on Mariner. I very much doubt Javier Martina or Soolsama for example were Mariner inventions. People waxing poetic on our former coaches really bothers me, but especially Winter. The team under him was totally naive top to bottom.
    But still won two Voyageurs Cups and we a half away from the final of the CCL. I haven't lived in Toronto for a few years (so I can't comment on the past few seasons) but I got the most enjoyment from this club when Winter was in charge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Perhaps what he was peddling works for u-19 Dutch players but it never worked in MLS. Obviously the rosters were different, but it was also a relatively different era in the league. Winter had his opportunity to bring in players, they didn't cut it. Comparatively I'd still take Vanney and Bez over anything Winter offered. Take away the aura of Dutch Football the guy was just confused and overwhelmed.

Agreed look for experience. That said, nobody should consider Aron Winter an experienced coach.
    funny how everyone forgets Winter was , screwed by mgmt .....never got the players he wanted . His main issue from what I understand was he wanted a disciplined locker room , and it didn't work with North American MLS players .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some guys on Big Soccer found the original Bradley interview and translated it. It appears a shoddy job was done prior and his not being happy was about Roma selling him.

Bradley, where has a globetrotter like yourself been the happiest? "I’ve been very lucky. I’ve had experiences, both socially and soccer-wise, that are extremely diverse from one to the next. I’ve had a full and intense youth. The years I spent in Italy are unforgettable. People there live for soccer, just like I do and just the way I like it. And then the quality of life is superior to anything else you can find in the world."

In that case it must not have been very nice to have been sold by Roma after a year and a half. "I wasn’t happy about it. But I take responsibility for the choice. At Roma I had Zeman for half a year and Andreazzoli for another half a year. Then Rudi Garcia arrived and I immediately understood he would go with other players."

And he decided to go back home. "Back to my origins, we could say. Toronto, Canada isn’t exactly my hometown. Still, I was very happy with it. I chose a project. We made the MLS playoffs for the first time, then we paid for our defensive limitations. But if I look forwards rather than backwards I see the idea for the future. We’re building something."

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/...#post-33234016

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figured, glad you found that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Johnson not going to be in Portland next year as per Taylor Twellman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could he take that destroyer DM role we need? also isn't he good friends with bradley?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a fanbase it's kind of funny how insecure we are about players leaving us. Though I suppose the Defoe thing is still fresh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Could he take that destroyer DM role we need? also isn't he good friends with bradley?
    Yes and yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Yep, Bradley was Johnson's best man when he got married . And Johnson was Bradley's when he got married.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always liked Will Johnson as a player, but can he stay fit? Current base salary is $314K, that's a concern. Ok to pay for someone decent but DM not his main position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Always liked Will Johnson as a player, but can he stay fit? Current base salary is $314K, that's a concern. Ok to pay for someone decent but DM not his main position.
    But if Cheyrou doesn't come back could be good next to Bradley in a midfield three

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. Johnson is more of a box-to-box type than a pure DM. Useful? Absolutely. The key to our DM problems? I'd look elsewhere first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    But still won two Voyageurs Cups and we a half away from the final of the CCL. I haven't lived in Toronto for a few years (so I can't comment on the past few seasons) but I got the most enjoyment from this club when Winter was in charge.
    I really put little stock in those games. We were playing new sides to MLS along with lousy Concacaf minnows + second choice Mexican squads.

Really doesn't make up for face planting in the league in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    funny how everyone forgets Winter was , screwed by mgmt .....never got the players he wanted . His main issue from what I understand was he wanted a disciplined locker room , and it didn't work with North American MLS players .
    Hey, don't take my view on it, more than a few local reporters noted something along the lines of it showed he was inexperienced and didn't know the league. I very much doubt he had no say on his players. If that was the case he should have never accepted the job in the first place. You have to remember the guy had never managed a full pro team - this was not some magical Dutchman that was suddenly blunted only by Mariner's buffoonery. The guy had loads of shortcomings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Yep, Bradley was Johnson's best man when he got married . And Johnson was Bradley's when he got married.
    Both were 21 year olds at Heerenveen
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Both were 21 year olds at Heerenveen
    Wow Will Johnson is only 28?? I thought he was well into his 30s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Wow Will Johnson is only 28?? I thought he was well into his 30s.

It wasn't a coincidence that they played together in Holland. Johnson grew up in Chicago with Bradley. They knew each other from a pretty young age. Longtime friendship. Johnson is 100% on TFC's radar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland will have to eat a chunk of his salary to whoever they trade him to. Similar to what they did with Rickets last season.

If they knock off 100-150k and don't want a ransom in return, it's 100% worth a punt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    It wasn't a coincidence that they played together in Holland. Johnson grew up in Chicago with Bradley. They knew each other from a pretty young age. Longtime friendship. Johnson is 100% on TFC's radar.
    Yea, they were on the same youth team in Chicago while Bob was managing the Fire IIRC.

When Johnson had the injury here last year, Bradley was with him in the hospital the whole time.

If Michael can get Jozy and Findley here due to friendship, good bet Johnson ends up here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson with Portland eating some salary is definitely very appealing. I'm not sure if we'd consider him a full time defensive mid but he would be a good addition to the midfield I'm sure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Portland is that desperate to dump Will Johnson. I'd guess enough suitors in MLS to want Will Johnson without Portland eating some of his salary.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Motta
    Throwing this out there because no one has suggested any right backs

Also
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondřej_Mazuch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stipe_Pletikosa

And

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Valera_Esp%C3%ADn
    Last edited by portu; 11-17-2015 at 06:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anybody paid much attention to Kevin Venegas from Minnesota United FC. He plays right back, would be super cheap, and is one of the top defenders in the NASL. I don't know a lot about him other than he was drafted and subsequently dropped by Chivas in 2012, and has been doing great in Minnesota ever since. He is right footed and can play left or right fullback, likes to get in the attack too. Some of the footage shows some pretty nice dribbling and nice crosses playing as a right fullback. I'm not sure if his contract is up but he is making less than a hundred grand from what I could find.
    Didn't Morrow come from NASL as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Nope. Drafted by the Quakes.

You thinking of Mark Bloom?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Has anybody paid much attention to Kevin Venegas from Minnesota United FC. He plays right back, would be super cheap, and is one of the top defenders in the NASL. I don't know a lot about him other than he was drafted and subsequently dropped by Chivas in 2012, and has been doing great in Minnesota ever since. He is right footed and can play left or right fullback, likes to get in the attack too. Some of the footage shows some pretty nice dribbling and nice crosses playing as a right fullback. I'm not sure if his contract is up but he is making less than a hundred grand from what I could find.
    Morrow came to us from SJ, looks like he has short loan spell with the rowdies in NASL early in his career.

The problem with NASL guys is unless they are out of contract it can be difficult to get them to MLS. Even a small fee demanded from his club could turn him from a value signing into a riskier acquisition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    But if Cheyrou doesn't come back could be good next to Bradley in a midfield three
    Is there a feeling like Cheyrou possibly isn't coming back? I've just assumed he would be in the squad.

If Johnson and Bradley could pull off a back and forth pivot, that might be worth seeing. Bradley certainly has the wheels for it, not sure about Johnson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Is there a feeling like Cheyrou possibly isn't coming back? I've just assumed he would be in the squad.

If Johnson and Bradley could pull off a back and forth pivot, that might be worth seeing. Bradley certainly has the wheels for it, not sure about Johnson.
    We haven't had a feeling Cheyrou wouldn't be back, however, it would be great having Johnson play for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting rid of one of or both of kantari and Perquis would free up enough space to sign Johnson. Add on the space freed up be not resigning Findley, who's roll in midfield he would be replacing and suddenly it really works

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting new midfielders is only part of solving the problem. If TFC keep playing a diamond shaped midfield, the team won't show that much improvement again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Nope. Drafted by the Quakes.

You thinking of Mark Bloom?
    Yep, thanks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Getting new midfielders is only part of solving the problem. If TFC keep playing a diamond shaped midfield, the team won't show that much improvement again.
    Will Johnson and Bradley would be excellent for 2 CMs in a diamond midfield. TFC still needs a CAM and a DM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano