Page 22 of 98 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Lopez at Houston too, not that we need him, especially at his current price. What happened to that dude, he seems to have fallen off, granted it is Houston and he's only 23
    MLSPU has him listed at 130kish that seems decent enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As noted, a few more roster announcements to unpack with Houston, Real Salt Lake, Chicago.

Notable players available are...

Houston: AJ Cochran (CB), Jermaine Taylor (CB), Luis Garrido (DM), Nathan Sturgis (CM), Alex Lopez (AM)

Real Salt Lake: Demar Phillips (LB), Elias Vasquez (CB), and potentially Chris Schuler (CB), Luis Gil (AM) & Luis Silva (AM) as all three are out of contract and must be signed before December 10th, otherwise they enter the re-entry draft

Chicago: Jon Busch (GK), Adailton (CB), Jeff Larentowicz (CB/DM), Razvan Cocis (DM), Jason Johnson (ST), Mike Magee (ST)

On Houston, I don't think we go for any of those guys. Cohcran/Sturgis are depth we don't need, Garrido is not the DM solution, and Lopez has not settled in MLS at all. Taylor is the closest fit, posting some decent stats, but he's a #2 CB and we need a #1 (or 1.5 depending on your opinion of Perquis).

On Salt Lake, wait and see what happens with the out of contract guys. Schuler made $182k last year and has been a good CB in MLS for a while. He would be a good addition no doubt, but we probably only have room in the cap for one new CB, and the question is whether Schuler is good enough. Silva is a little intriguing at $162k last year... fairly versatile player but who knows if he'd be interested in coming back. Stay the hell away from Gil, $335k, attitude problems, a risky project if there ever was one.

On Chicago, Busch is over the hill, Adailton not good enough, Cocis (like Garrido) not the answer at DM, and I would take Silva over Johnson. No thanks to Magee. That leaves Larentowicz, who made $271k last year, putting him in line for a maximum salary in 2016 of $311k. He's been playing CB for a while now for Chicago, and rates fairly well statistically. Fits the leader profile we're probably looking for back there, but it's a lot of money to spend on a guy that's a converted DM and was just part of the joint-worst back line in MLS. I think he's good, but probably not #1 CB good. I'd prefer Schuler, especially considering the salaries and age.
    Last edited by notthesun; 11-30-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    As noted, a few more roster announcements to unpack with Houston, Real Salt Lake, Chicago.

Notable players available are...

Houston: AJ Cochran (CB), Jermaine Taylor (CB), Luis Garrido (DM), Nathan Sturgis (CM), Alex Lopez (AM)

Real Salt Lake: Demar Phillips (LB), Elias Vasquez (CB), and potentially Chris Schuler (CB), Luis Gil (AM) & Luis Silva (AM) as all three are out of contract and must be signed before December 10th, otherwise they enter the re-entry draft

Chicago: Jon Busch (GK), Adailton (CB), Jeff Larentowicz (CB/DM), Razvan Cocis (DM), Jason Johnson (ST), Mike Magee (ST)

On Houston, I don't think we go for any of those guys. Cohcran/Sturgis are depth we don't need, Garrido is not the DM solution, and Lopez has not settled in MLS at all. Taylor is the closest fit, posting some decent stats, but he's a #2 CB and we need a #1 (or 1.5 depending on your opinion of Perquis).

On Salt Lake, wait and see what happens with the out of contract guys. Schuler made $182k last year and has been a good CB in MLS for a while. He would be a good addition no doubt, but we probably only have room in the cap for one new CB, and the question is whether Schuler is good enough. Silva is a little intriguing at $162k last year... fairly versatile player but who knows if he'd be interested in coming back. Stay the hell away from Gil, $335k, attitude problems, a risky project if there ever was one.

On Chicago, Busch is over the hill, Adailton not good enough, Cocis (like Garrido) not the answer at DM, and I would take Silva over Johnson. No thanks to Magee. That leaves Larentowicz, who made $271k last year, putting him in line for a maximum salary in 2016 of $311k. He's been playing CB for a while now for Chicago, and rates fairly well statistically. Fits the leader profile we're probably looking for back there, but it's a lot of money to spend on a guy that's a converted DM and was just part of the joint-worst back line in MLS. I think he's good, but probably not #1 CB good. I'd prefer Schuler, especially considering the salaries and age.
    I wonder what Schuler's worth in a trade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schuler is one of the best CBs in the league.

Problem is that he is made of glass. And that's the reason RSL haven't re-signed him as of yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question becomes: whats the price tag? is he better than Schuler or Larentowicz who would both likely come cheaper? how would him and likely perquis work together?

He would certainly fill the need we have for more leadership on the team but not sure if it is the best use of our cap space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    No thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    The question becomes: whats the price tag? is he better than Schuler or Larentowicz who would both likely come cheaper? how would him and likely perquis work together?

He would certainly fill the need we have for more leadership on the team but not sure if it is the best use of our cap space.
    That was my thought, they are both left footed, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was my thought, they are both left footed, no?
    For some reason i think perquis is right footed but comfortable on both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    For some reason i think perquis is right footed but comfortable on both.
    Maybe it's Kantari i'm thinking of then.

Really need some decent TFC rumors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think at best we get our options list this week, maybe things will pick up rumor wise after mls cup heading into the re-entry drafts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larentowicz is a bit on the old side, and I don't know if he's got enough pace to be a good DM anymore. I'd take Schuler even though he's a risk for injury. Perquis, Schuler, Williams, with Simonin and Hagglund as backup - that's a CB depth chart I could live with. Use the money saved to get a stud DM using TAM to cover any backline weakness. If TFC ends up with Bokai for the wings, then all that's needed is a starting GK and RB. Anything else would be gravy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Lopez at Houston too, not that we need him, especially at his current price. What happened to that dude, he seems to have fallen off, granted it is Houston and he's only 23
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    MLSPU has him listed at 130kish that seems decent enough
    I'd take a flyer on Lopez at that salary as a replacement for Findley.

Keeping Bradley, Oso, Delgado, Cheyrou, Lovitz... add Boakai, Lopez and a starting Destroyer DM. That would be a solid MF IMO.

Gives you the option to have different looks as well.
    Go with Delgado & Warner when you want to play more defensive. Bring on Lopez & Boakai when you need offensive energy.

Getting a stud Destroyer is the key tho... Cheyrou can stay on the roster as cover for Bradley.

Manella & Chapman loaned to TFC2 to play a ton of meaningful minutes for development... expect them to be leaders on that team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that it has exercised contract options on 13 players and declined options on four players; one player is out of contract, while 11 players are already under guaranteed contracts for the 2016 season.
    Toronto FC has picked up the contract options on goalkeeper Quillan Roberts; defenders Mark Bloom, Nick Hagglund, Ashtone Morgan, Josh Williams, Eriq Zavaleta and Clement Simonin; midfielders Jonathan Osorio, Collen Warner, Daniel Lovitz, Marky Delgado, Chris Mannella and forward Jordan Hamilton.
    The 11 players already under contract for the 2016 season are: goalkeeper Alex Bono; defenders Justin Morrow, Damien Perquis, Ahmed Kantari; midfielders Michael Bradley, Benoit Cheyrou, Jay Chapman; forwards Sebastian Giovinco, Jozy Altidore, Luke Moore and Herculez Gomez.
    Toronto FC has declined options on goalkeepers Joe Bendik and Chris Konopka along with midfielders Manny Aparicio and Jackson. In addition, forward Robbie Findley’s contract will expire at the end of the season. Bendik, Konopka, Jackson and Findley are eligible for the MLS Re-Entry Draft.
    “Stability at this time is of the utmost importance. This represents the highest number of returning players as we look to build on the positives from this past season,” said Toronto FC General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "We have a strong core group of players that have gained valuable experience over the course of the season. We will use the offseason to add to our group and continue towards our goal of becoming consistent contenders.”
    Bendik, Konopka, Jackson and Findley out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both keepers declines along with jackson and manny. Findley out of contract.

Everyone else is had options picked up or we already on guaranteed contracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Declining Jackson seems odd to me. Maybe trying to negotiate his salary down?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackson should be resigned at a lower cap hit. He's decent depth.

edit: Mapp>Jackson.
    Last edited by Ivy; 12-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be shocked in Findley signs back on a much lower wage.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik, Konopka, Jackson and Findley out.
    Only vaguely surprised (on Jackson), guessing theyll bring up either Bono or Roberts and bring in a decent Keeper.
    Expecting to see Kantari being paid to leave as well at some point.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I happen to know the exact opposite of that tweet LOL

Its always possible that something has recently happened though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Findley declining the lower wage maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning's best move yet.

I thought Konopka would be re-signed, but this means we're going with Roberts as a backup and Bono as the starter with TFC II. I like it. I hope Konopka finds a backup role elsewhere in the league.

I thought Jackson might stay, but declining him is definitely a cost-cutting move. $192k is a bit too much for a non-starting role.

Unfortunately I saw this coming for Aparicio. Just hasn't progressed since signing his homegrown deal. I don't know how it works, could he sign a TFC II contract still?

I hope we buyout Kantari. He is complete deadweight on this roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Manning already...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opposite of Manning liking him or not coming back?

Caps turned down Beitashour'S option, could be worth a look for RB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beitashour declined by Whitecaps.
    Could be a decent RB option.

Kah declined as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel like Beitashour and potentially Kah will be resigned at lower wages. Surprisingly dont rate Kah all that much even tho he had a great season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a bit of cryptic wording in the Whitecaps release, but if Beitashour is in fact available, he would be an excellent target. Proven RB that made $197k last year, less than Morrow will make with us this year. Would solidify both our fullback spots (Morrow & Beitashour played in the same back four when they were with San Jose), and we have an opening at RB with Jackson heading out.

But Vancouver isn't stupid and they don't have an immediate RB replacement. They are probably looking to negotiate a new deal with him. If he does leave we should be all over this.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opposite of Manning liking him or not coming back?

Caps turned down Beitashour'S option, could be worth a look for RB.
    Bill indicated that Robbie has value to the club, like I say things can change. I would take Johns word over mine on this as John does the beat for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill indicated that Robbie has value to the club, like I say things can change. I would take Johns word over mine on this as John does the beat for TFC.
    Interesting, thanks!