Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy scored 13 goals in 25 games, rate of 1 goal every 2 games.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    It's highly likely that Giovinco will be gone next year for 5-6 weeks for the Euro tournament. Having Jozy leading the attack is going to be a big problem.
    He won't even be leading the attack at that time. Copa America Centenario runs June 3-26, and the Euros are June 10-July 10. We're going to play 5-6 consecutive games missing all 3 our of DPs.

It's imperative that we improve the depth on the roster this off-season. We have one month that's pretty well lined up to sink our season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we keep Gomez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    He won't even be leading the attack at that time. Copa America Centenario runs June 3-26, and the Euros are June 10-July 10. We're going to play 5-6 consecutive games missing all 3 our of DPs.

It's imperative that we improve the depth on the roster this off-season. We have one month that's pretty well lined up to sink our season.
    That's even if Jozy gets called up at all for Int. duty. He is by no means a lock on the US team.

The Reds cannot afford to drop 5-6 games next year, otherwise they will be fighting for the last playoff spot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    this seems to be looked over.
    That being said he fades in and out of games, expect to see more from him either goals or otherwise in the next season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I hope we keep Gomez.
    I really don't get this why do people wanna keep a 33 year old guy on 200k+, pretty much all he offers is a great Twitter profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I really don't get this why do people wanna keep a 33 year old guy on 200k+, pretty much all he offers is a great Twitter profile
    I tend to watch games more than twitter - has an eye for goal and still makes key passes that lead to chances. I'll take him over Findley and Moore despite his age. I saw more from Gomez in his 200 minutes that Vanney gave him than I saw from #55 all season. This sentiment is especially so when considering our third choice striker will be getting as many starts given international call ups (and red cards).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OUT:

Altidore - misses too many games to USMNT, injury prone, and too expensive. We can do better for nearly 5 million.
    Bendik - too expensive for a backup at 150k.
    Bradley - makes nearly as much as Giovinco and hasn't been half the player he is. Like Altidore, he misses too many games to USMNT. Let's try to stay away from national team players eh?
    Findley - improved a bit towards the end but not starter quality and too expensive to warm the bench.
    Gomez - not in Vanney's plans, going to be 34 next year.
    Kantari - not good enough. Probly on 150K+.
    Moore - too expensive for a bench player. Hardly featured all year.
    Perquis - not the stud CB we were all hoping for. Too expensive for a #2 guy.

KEEP:

Delgado - promising youngster, lot of minutes this year, great value for money at 80k.
    Giovinco - duh.
    Jackson - a fave of mine. Keep for some continuity? He's on a lot of $ though at 192k.
    Osorio - entering his best years, great value at 150k for a key starter.
    Simonin - looked promising in limited minutes. Would be great value at 50k if he becomes the #3 CB.
    Warner - entering his prime, team looked better with him on the field than without him.

On the fence:

Bloom - remember this guy? Who knows how he will perform after being out so long. Would resign at 60k.
    Cheyrou - dude's getting old and he's been getting exposed for pace all year. We can expect him to miss more games to injury next season and performance levels to drop. Let's avoid another Caldwell.
    Morgan - frustrating that we have Morrow in his position. He's good value at 100k and could start for some teams. Trade bait?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob Friend tore up B2 one year on tap-ins and service on a platter getting balls from Marco Marin. Didn't make him a good striker there after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/gilberto
    If we're going to use that as a metric to judge quality then ^

10 games (8 starts)
    5 goals
    2 assists
    And he played on a much shittier team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Rob Friend tore up B2 one year on tap-ins and service on a platter getting balls from Marco Marin. Didn't make him a good striker there after.
    Altidore is the laziest striker I've ever seen. He's a poacher only, creates nothing and tries nothing. He's okay at holding up the ball and he runs well with it, but rarely sees it on the run. He had sixteen fucking shots, for fuck sake. Sixteen in a season. Yes, he had 13. But he could've just as easily had eight or seven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw shades of Sunderland Jozy against Montreal - The one who takes too many touches then loses the opportunity in front of him.

I still have faith he can at least keep up the 1 in 2 form, but it's all very worrying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Altidore is the laziest striker I've ever seen. He's a poacher only, creates nothing and tries nothing. He's okay at holding up the ball and he runs well with it, but rarely sees it on the run. He had sixteen fucking shots, for fuck sake. Sixteen in a season. Yes, he had 13. But he could've just as easily had eight or seven.
    The 16 shots is worrisome, there is no way he is going to get close to the same amount of goals if he isn't more active.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/gilberto
    If we're going to use that as a metric to judge quality then ^

10 games (8 starts)
    5 goals
    2 assists
    And he played on a much shittier team
    I like Gilberto but he can go on long runs of being very cold, and then hot streaks where he picks up a decent amount of goals. Curious to see him as a starter for another full season in MLS.

My big issue with Jozy is that some games he is invisible. He needs to shoot a whole lot more. For the wage he is on I think we can find an overall better target man.

Regardless tho if Jozy can pot 12-15 goals a year without shooting much in 25 games... remains to be seen if he can keep it up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't get this "he only scores tap ins" BS about Altidore. i"ve linked to his goal against Montreal somewhere else and could link to his bull rush drives that cause penalties. Yes, he's a lazy sod that could be better - but with what this 26 year old does now, in 2 seasons if he matures, he'll be devastating. And if he doesn't, I'll take this current production.

We've had 5 forwards in our history that had to be marked by opponents - Dichio, DeRo, Koevs, Seba & Altidore. The rest were allowed to get the ball because teams knew nothing would happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I don't get this "he only scores tap ins" BS about Altidore. i"ve linked to his goal against Montreal somewhere else and could link to his bull rush drives that cause penalties. Yes, he's a lazy sod that could be better - but with what this 26 year old does now, in 2 seasons if he matures, he'll be devastating. And if he doesn't, I'll take this current production.

We've had 5 forwards in our history that had to be marked by opponents - Dichio, DeRo, Koevs, Seba & Altidore. The rest were allowed to get the ball because teams knew nothing would happen.
    lol "if he matures" Americans have been using this line since he was 17 at one point or another you have to move on (which USMNT is beginning to do)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Which is why TFC need to join other MLS teams in diligently scouting South America for impact players who find themselves lost in a vast talent pool. This is why I'd rather have Gilberto than Jozy, at least you can count on Gilberto being there. With due diligence even the aging European ex-international can work better in the short term. To miss 1 in every 5-6 games, a DP better be a game changer in the games he plays, not a spectator.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The 16 shots is worrisome, there is no way he is going to get close to the same amount of goals if he isn't more active.
    I don't really understand why nobody sees that our set up doesn't use him properly. You have a guy like him, big and mobile but still like a MLS target man, and have him play out wide and further back than Seba, Findley, Osorio, and often Bradley. That's total idiocy and that's what we did, and by we I mean Vanney. The fact he had 16 shots should be more damning of Vanney than Jozy unless of course you just read stats and don't watch matches.

And that last part isn't a dig at you Richard. Just for people who get down on Jozy for pretty much everything without realizing that he is being set up to fail.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 10-31-2015 at 08:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jozy doesn't play like a typical target man. He isn't all that good at controlling with his head. Great foot control for a guy his size and is really good at using his strength against defenders.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy did absolutely nothing. All of his goals were sitters, gifts or PK's. Gilberto would have scored the same amount of goals, playing up front with the magician, at a fraction of the cost. Sunderland says it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Johnson and/or Robbie Rogers would be nice, assuming they hit the free agency market.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy did absolutely nothing. All of his goals were sitters, gifts or PK's. Gilberto would have scored the same amount of goals, playing up front with the magician, at a fraction of the cost. Sunderland says it all.
    13 goals is nothing. Almost double what Ol' Gil had here. On 16 shots.

You are exactly who I was talking about above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    13 goals is nothing. Almost double what Ol' Gil had here. On 16 shots.

You are exactly who I was talking about above.

Gilberto never had a golden boot and MVP player delivering balls on a silver platter. Big difference.

Jozy was also sent home from the last Int. game when he was fully fit. Not sure how much more evidence you need.

I would prefer that he is traded next season, although if not, thats fine. My biggest beef is with Vanney. I want that fucker gone.
    Last edited by ronzilla; 10-31-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto never had a golden boot and MVP player delivering balls on a silver platter. Big difference.

Jozy was also sent home from the last Int. game when he was fully fit. Not sure how much more evidence you need.

I would prefer that he is traded next season, although if not, thats fine. My biggest beef is with Vanney. I want that fucker gone.
    Most of Jozy's goals aren't from Seba assists though. Generally Jozy plays behind Seba and because Seba is faster and tends to shoot first, Jozy at best gets second ball chances. That's got to do with how we line up under Vanney. We have 3 DPs who are all good and Vanney has no clue on how to use two of them. Not sure he does with Seba either but having a player as good as him makes it look easy no matter where you put him.

Not sure how I would blame a player for getting sent home due to injury from the U.S squad when he was hurt before he got the call and never should have been there in the first place. That's Klinsman though; idiot.

Bottom line and I feel pretty confident in saying that if we traded Jozy to someone good, it'd be him fighting Seba, Kamara, & Keane for the boot next year and be added to our long list of good players we dumped because our manager had no idea how to use them properly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol "if he matures" Americans have been using this line since he was 17 at one point or another you have to move on (which USMNT is beginning to do)
    Yeah, but that's Klinsmann - the whack jobs that support the USMNT make people on here look patient.

At Club level 13 goals on your second striker is gold - only 1 other team has 2 players with more then 10 goals - Cbus with Kamara and Finlay.

We are not going to get better production then Jozy out of the #2 striker position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In such a tightly capped league I've never understood having Jozy and Gio up front from a dollars perspective. I keep asking myself, would our total offence drop that much having a younger, hungrier, cheaper striker up front with Gio and more importantly, would our dollars be better spent improving our back line? In the past many here have said the key to a dangerous team is to build a balanced, solid team first, then add your DP(s) to take you over the top. We are still building by getting our DP's and trying to add pieces to make them work. Unfortunately, we're too far down this road now unless we can find someone to take Jozy for a stud defender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah, but that's Klinsmann - the whack jobs that support the USMNT make people on here look patient.

At Club level 13 goals on your second striker is gold - only 1 other team has 2 players with more then 10 goals - Cbus with Kamara and Finlay.

We are not going to get better production then Jozy out of the #2 striker position.
    Finlay isn't on 5.5 MIL a year and taking up a valuable DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really need to fact check man.

Jozy was sent home in the Gold Cup.

Since then he played for the Yanks against Peru and Mexico

Then Jozy played against Mexico in the Confed Playoff then captained the US for the first 45 against Costa Rica.

Not sure how much more evidence you need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    In such a tightly capped league I've never understood having Jozy and Gio up front from a dollars perspective. I keep asking myself, would our total offence drop that much having a younger, hungrier, cheaper striker up front with Gio and more importantly, would our dollars be better spent improving our back line? In the past many here have said the key to a dangerous team is to build a balanced, solid team first, then add your DP(s) to take you over the top. We are still building by getting our DP's and trying to add pieces to make them work. Unfortunately, we're too far down this road now unless we can find someone to take Jozy for a stud defender.
    Yep, I have always hated our 2 DP striker approach. It mandates us to play in a 4-4-2 to get them on the field on play people out of positions. I personally would rather have a destroyer DM DP, CAM DP and then one ST DP. I am not sure of a CB DP, league doesn't love it tho they allow it now. Depends on the player I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane Rollins was speculating on twitter yesterday, rather than clutter up the page with embedded tweets I'll just copy & paste:

1) I think it's 90% likely Vanney is back. I would have said 100% two wks ago.
    2) There will be less cleaning of house than most think/want. For instance I see only one defender released--Kantari likely,
    3) Perquis, Findley and Herc will all be back. Findley on a re-structured deal.
    4) The TAM money will be spent on a keeper. They will look to address RB through trade. Babouli will be signed to a HG deal and given chance
    5) If there is a "stunning" move in off-season it will be trading Jozy. I don't expect it, but that's the logical place to make huge move.
    6) If finding an all-star quality CB within the MLS salary structure were easy 3/4 of teams wouldn't be looking for one.
    7) That's why I see Perquis getting another year. He's great with the ball. If he had a consistent partner with complimenting skills....