Page 67 of 98 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2915
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13 goals in 25 appearances. And people still bitch about Jozy.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Altidore will have an important role this season since every team will be out to physically assault Gio every time he touches the ball. He may be overpaid but he's far from the scrub that some people make him out to be... and nobody's taking on that contract so it's a moot point anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OgTheDim, all your posts have been on point so far, the shortsighted will always criticize but keep up the good fight!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

This

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta have someone to complain about I guess. I think even if he got 20 this year people would still say he was lazy and the goals were cheap or lucky. Once a guy gets to the doghouse position amongst supporters then they usually stay there no matter what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    agree with this. altidore is a 250k MLS striker. And we are using $457k of cap space on him (not to mention ML$E's 5million on top of that). and doesn't really sell tickets. Rather they give some that DP$ of seba and extend him and/or sign someone of quality at fwd. Unfortunately, i think he is undtradeable/unsellable at current weekly rate.
    I'm not saying Altidore is a 250k striker

I'm saying that he kills our tactical versatility

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Because our manager uses him wrong and we've never settled on any specific tactics or formation though Vanney's 45 or so matches in charge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of. Altidore isn't a classic holding #9 forward. He's pretty good battling for the ball and takes up a lot of defenders time. They have to account for a good second striker, which most teams in MLS don't have. But then, Seba ain't a midfielder. So although we can't do the 4-5-1, we can do the 4-1-3-2 or the 4-4-2 variations or even that 3-4-3 we pulled out in Seattle. I'm not sold on Seba in a 4-3-3 as he doesn't have the defensive inclinations.

And then there's the lack of a DM.

I'm hoping that Vanney gets it into Seba and Altidore's heads that team defence starts with the forwards. At least 3 coaches (NYRB, NYCFC & CBUS) last season indicated that our forwards were not any help at all on the defensive end. Watch a guy like Silva for NYCFC - if either Alitdore or Seba put that much effort into running around harrassing defenders, we'd be a whole lot better off. I saw a BIT of that towards the end with Jozy.

Regardless, until the back 3/4 and the keeper is fixed and solidified, I don't think we'll see the forwards buy into the team defence thing. Fix the back, and everybody else will slot in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Kind of. Altidore isn't a classic holding #9 forward. He's pretty good battling for the ball and takes up a lot of defenders time. They have to account for a good second striker, which most teams in MLS don't have. But then, Seba ain't a midfielder. So although we can't do the 4-5-1, we can do the 4-1-3-2 or the 4-4-2 variations or even that 3-4-3 we pulled out in Seattle. I'm not sold on Seba in a 4-3-3 as he doesn't have the defensive inclinations.

And then there's the lack of a DM.

I'm hoping that Vanney gets it into Seba and Altidore's heads that team defence starts with the forwards. At least 3 coaches (NYRB, NYCFC & CBUS) last season indicated that our forwards were not any help at all on the defensive end. Watch a guy like Silva for NYCFC - if either Alitdore or Seba put that much effort into running around harrassing defenders, we'd be a whole lot better off. I saw a BIT of that towards the end with Jozy.

Regardless, until the back 3/4 and the keeper is fixed and solidified, I don't think we'll see the forwards buy into the team defence thing. Fix the back, and everybody else will slot in.
    Exactly.

One thing about the DM problem is that the recruitment of Will Johnson gives another runner next to Cheyrou which will help out a lot with team shape. It's how Juve got away with playing Pirlo who has less defensive midfield intangibles than Cheyrou.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source: Ahmed Kantari waived by Toronto FC. #tfc

From Kristian jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post

From Kristian jack
    Praise be to Bezbatchenko.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore's size can be deceiving. Find he doesn't particularly play the style you'd expect him to given his frame. Looks way more comfortable running at goal than with his back to it.

I don't think he's the right fit to play with giovinco TBH but he would be hard to replace / upgrade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Exactly.

One thing about the DM problem is that the recruitment of Will Johnson gives another runner next to Cheyrou which will help out a lot with team shape. It's how Juve got away with playing Pirlo who has less defensive midfield intangibles than Cheyrou.
    Except Juve played a midfield with far more talent and better tactical understanding than TFC. With Cheyrou and Giovinco, you add much on offence, but exposed defensively because these guys are a liability on defence. Playing a 4 man mid means nobody can be a slacker on d in the mid esp Giovinco and Altidore don't do enough tracking back, add in Cheyrou who just don't have the legs anymore, and no wonder TFC leaked so many goals.

Hence why I think without a defence first, DM destroyer, I don't think TFC will do no better than mid table again this season. Worse if Giovinco gets injured. Vanney doesn't have the team play defence first football to cover for so many liabilities with the team.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Altidore's size can be deceiving. Find he doesn't particularly play the style you'd expect him to given his frame. Looks way more comfortable running at goal than with his back to it.

I don't think he's the right fit to play with giovinco TBH but he would be hard to replace / upgrade.
    He plays like a poacher. That's fine, as long as you can score goals and that's all you're expected to do.

But with TFC, we need a target man who can hold the ball and put some good headers in, to create space for Giovinco.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Kristian jack
    Waived? Does that mean we still have our 1 free but out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like having Altidore on TFC. Just my opinion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waived? Does that mean we still have our 1 free but out?
    (A) WAIVERS
    Clubs may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players with guaranteed contracts will continue to have their salary budget charge applied to the club salary budget, subject to any settlement. Players on Semi-Guaranteed Contracts can be waived prior to July 1 of any year and free up the corresponding budget space. If a player on a Semi-Guaranteed Contract is waived after July 1, his salary budget charge will continue to count against the team’s salary budget. Any settlement amount will be charged to the club’s salary budget.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...nd-regulations

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I presume he's on a guaranteed contract so is it like the NHL where you have to put someone on waivers before buying them out? Which would be the "settlement" referenced above?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well some in Europe were saying moore is a free agent so maybe the buyout was used on moore and kantari was negotiated because he has a club lined up in Europe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word would have gotten out about a Luke Moore buyout now. The team announced he was under contract so I guess that UK free agent thing was lazy reporting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well some in Europe were saying moore is a free agent so maybe the buyout was used on moore and kantari was negotiated because he has a club lined up in Europe?
    I read a convo on Twitter where someone said they spoke to Luke Moore and that he said he was only training for fitness with Villa's u-23s (or 21s I'm not sure) and that he told him his future was in mls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Kristian jack
    0 surprise here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so was he waived or bought out?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm....I feel for his family as they moved over here but the guy wasn't good enough. Hopefully he finds a place somewhere soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    so was he waived or bought out?
    As mentioned above we may have to waive him first, giving other clubs the chance to take him and his contract, and after he makes it through waivers we buy him out.

But it's pretty much 99.9% sure we're buying him out. Nothing else makes any sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I like having Altidore on TFC. Just my opinion.
    I love having Altidore on TFC. He needs a kick in the rear now and then, but is a first rate talent at this level, and that moment in Vancouver is my screen saver.

But. He is not a hold up man for Gio, he just isn't. He is an on the ground link man with Gio. Having both, we are forced to play 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2 . This creates structural problems for the club as we don't have the ideal player for the "1" and don't have wide players for a 4-4-2. Given who we have, to maximize our collective skill, letting Jozy go for a number one goalie and / or a Laba type DM and having Moore or Gomez play as a back to goal link up player would actually make us a much better team for the same money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had just over 20 shots; he hardly ever touches the ball. He's just dominant physically and can finish, so he's a decent poacher. But he's a fraction of the player he should be, and that's what pisses people off.

We shouldn't have any issue with who our target man is. The guy is 6'1, has a twenty-something inch vertical and looks like he could bench a Volkswagen Beetle. But he "likes to play with the ball at his feet."

13 goals, but on so few shots and so many of them were scraps, it could as easily have been eight, or 10. For a DP making $4.24M a year, his play was substandard. For a second striker? Yay... thirteen goals is more than most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of interest, Leicester City Lead Academy Strength and Conditioning coach Tom Williams joining TFC, Joining TFC as head of S & C.

https://twitter.com/williams26tom

http://www.historicperformance.net/p...5-tom-williams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCwestcan View Post
    Of interest, Leicester City Lead Academy Strength and Conditioning coach Tom Williams joining TFC, Joining TFC as head of S & C.

https://twitter.com/williams26tom

http://www.historicperformance.net/p...5-tom-williams
    Yeah! http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...d-Conditioning