Page 66 of 98 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So now we understand the Portland side of the Johnson deal. They sign Ned Grabavoy (who made $100K less than Johnson last year) plus allocation money.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...reinforcements

I really like Portland's side of this deal better than ours - Grabavoy is a decent player, not much worse than Johnson, and the Timbers have, call it, $200K in cap space.

(Can't win em all - I do like the Moor and Beitashour deals)

grabavoy was useless last season and is going on 33. He's no where near as valuable as a 28 year old Johnson.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    grabavoy was useless last season and is going on 33. He's no where near as valuable as a 28 year old Johnson.
    Grabavoy is not the right guy to play with Lampard and Pirlo, but he isn't useless.

Re age, injury is the risk. But $200K in cap space is a lot of reward for that risk.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the $200K cap space but as a body on a team where we are near the roster limit, he's not what we need.

Grabavoy is a box to box who's losing his step. He desn't have the passing skills to be a Deep Lying Playmaker or an AM, nor has he shown much interest in the defensive side of things.

Portland grabbed him because they have DM's and AM's and need box to box and shuttlers. He should fit in well as a 25-30 game starter/sub who will either be subbed at 60 or be the sub at 60.

We don't have that need.

Johnson is our #6 next season and probably for about 5 years in total. This season he's a Bradley replacer for USMNT games and a shuttler on the right side otherwise.

Long term, I'll take the cap hit for the guy who is going to be that DM we havn't really had in years.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-09-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He desn't have the passing skills to be a Deep Lying Playmaker or an AM, nor has he shown much interest in the defensive side of things.
    This is somewhat incorrect; he has been a primarily defensive player for his entire career. He gets forward sometimes, but any mid does. Both NYFC and RSL used him more defensively than box-to-box, even though he was sometimes in the middle of the diamond at both; at RSL he used in the centre of the diamond but he was the hold back guy, along with Kyle Beckerman, the last man into the box, not an offensive player. He also filled in for Beckerman when he was away on US nat duty.

I just see him as an overrated utility player. He's also filled in at fullback over the years. A good comparison from our history would be Paulo Nagamura, that kind of guy.

Certainly he's never been as good a player as Johnson.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never seen him lug it back into the box to cut off a probable cross; mind you Cheyrou doesn't do that either which is why I'm glad we've got Johnson.

I still maintain the big push for this team is going to be in 2017. They want to make a splash this season, but I expect 2017 to be when we go full bore for every trophy out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I still maintain the big push for this team is going to be in 2017. They want to make a splash this season, but I expect 2017 to be when we go full bore for every trophy out there.
    Yup. this.

it's very clear we took on a lot of older experienced European guys in the short term because they'd give us a year or two and make sure we establish ourselves as a perennial playoff team. Then they retire and the cap goes way up and we have mountains of TAM and what not and we're in a prime position for a championship season. Pretty obvious that was the modus operandi from Bez after he saw what went wrong in 2014.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I follow QPR. Here is a recent one https://twitter.com/_AndyHa/status/683001504677113858

Go browse QPR message boards or search his name on twitter to see what QPR fans think.

Here is a sample

Damn, you're right, sorry I doubted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, def NOT Rob Green.

It wasn't just his massive error with England in that WC game, but he makes "goal allowing" mistakes. Game costing mistakes. Just not simply a Joe Bendik style kick out of bounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nima Tavallaey@NimaTav1981 13m13 minutes ago
    .@borriellomarco1's agent is in North America to meet with representatives of @impactmontreal & @torontofc for a transfer (via @cmdotcom)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Nima Tavallaey@NimaTav1981 13m13 minutes ago
    .@borriellomarco1's agent is in North America to meet with representatives of @impactmontreal & @torontofc for a transfer (via @cmdotcom)

Montreal will offer more money and he'll go there. We're probably there just to piss them off and drive the price up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More here: http://www.calciomercato.com/news/es...-drogba-121645

His agent is meeting with IMFC and TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant imagine how he'd fit into our salary cap here, we'd have to be moving out one of our DPs or some players and use TAM.
    Drogba leaving MOntreal, this makes perfect sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Montreal will offer more money and he'll go there. We're probably there just to piss them off and drive the price up.
    Agreed.
    We don't need another DP forward, Impact does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, I could theoretically see it if we move Moor and or Gomez actually. If we're assuming Seba and Jozy are gone for at least about 40 days, then we're gonna need something else up front for a significant portion of the season. He'd come for less less than 1 million.

I still think my first hypothesis is more likely.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 01-10-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transcript of the meeting:

Bez: "yeah, uh, Borriello. He's fine, can't use him. Know any goalkeepers?"
    Agent: "nope"
    Bez: "good day, sir"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We get linked with every Serie A player who is supposedly interested in MLS since we signed Giovinco, just as Montreal is linked with each one since they signed a bunch of Italians. I wouldn't put much in this unless we are moving Moore as mentioned, and even then Borriello would surely want more money than we're paying Moore, which we likely can't afford under the cap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorrentino and his coach had a major blowup on the weekend

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/the-toe-p...eak-to-players

Amazing stuff, actually

http://www.football-italia.net/78171...war-ballardini
    Last edited by ensco; 01-11-2016 at 07:35 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson makes the comment that another signing is looming when making a comment on portland apparently getting Jack Mac.

Usually we have some indication about a player a week or two in advance (Beit, moor, WJ was discussed for months before it was official).

The only player we currently know about is Borriello and that seams a little far fetched considering our current crop of strikers and this being a cap league.

Anyone else out their? Kocic/Borjan maybe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Moore out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would trade Altidore for Boriello in a heart beat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same here...it would be nice for our DPs not to miss 6 to 8 games every year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boriello is the same age as Gomez and has a less than spectacular strike rate... Currently has 4 goals in 750 minutes in Serie A. There's no way this guy is coming to MLS for designated player money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Boriello is the same age as Gomez and has a less than spectacular strike rate... Currently has 4 goals in 750 minutes in Serie A. There's no way this guy is coming to MLS for designated player money.
    He's currently on 550k net so roughly 1.1m euros gross. Could probably come on a TAM level salary if whatever team that wants to sign him gives him term.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF we were to get rid of Altidore it'd be a mistake to invest in another DP striker imo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    IF we were to get rid of Altidore it'd be a mistake to invest in another DP striker imo
    Its a mistake to get rid of Altidore. Thats just putting too much pressure on Giovinco. He's not going to be winning headers, defenders will close him down easily and he'll end up getting hurt. At least if TFC retains Altidore, they can play a more long ball type of game, if Giovinco gets hurt.

*Any word on TFC being interested in Simeon Jackson and Nikolas Ledgerwood? Caleb Clarke?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it appears ledgerwood is going to FCE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ledgerwood? No thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Its a mistake to get rid of Altidore. Thats just putting too much pressure on Giovinco. He's not going to be winning headers, defenders will close him down easily and he'll end up getting hurt. At least if TFC retains Altidore, they can play a more long ball type of game, if Giovinco gets hurt.

*Any word on TFC being interested in Simeon Jackson and Nikolas Ledgerwood? Caleb Clarke?
    Get rid of Altidore and replace him with a 150-300k alternative who you would be okay with having on the bench

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Get rid of Altidore and replace him with a 150-300k alternative who you would be okay with having on the bench
    agree with this. altidore is a 250k MLS striker. And we are using $457k of cap space on him (not to mention ML$E's 5million on top of that). and doesn't really sell tickets. Rather they give some that DP$ of seba and extend him and/or sign someone of quality at fwd. Unfortunately, i think he is undtradeable/unsellable at current weekly rate.
    Last edited by Onyx; 01-11-2016 at 04:02 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    agree with this. altidore is a 250k MLS striker. And we are using $457k of cap space on him (not to mention ML$E's 5million on top of that). and doesn't really sell tickets. Rather they give some that DP$ of seba and extend him or sign someone of quality.

Top ten goal scorers in MLS last season were all DP's. Altidore was #10.

Of the 22 guys who scored 10+ goals (Altidore had 13), 5 were non-DP's.

Altidore had a better goal per 90 minutes then David Villa, Wondo and Bradly Wright Phillips. And before somebody mentions Ethan Finley, look at his goals per 90 minutes - the guy scored one out of 3 games - not bad for a midfielder I suppose but both he and Kamara had the perfect season - that ain't happening again.

Value per Dp $ or Value per starting Striker Cap Hit are not our issue.

Fix the defence.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-11-2016 at 04:09 PM.