Page 47 of 98 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with signing Johnson we still need a stud DM, this is really a luxury move

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I don't see how that's possible at this point. We still need a keeper.

I think we need a DM too but there's enough talent in the midfield right now (and guys that play 2-way) that we should be able to sort things out. Really what we've done is add three players who should be able to contribute more defensively than their predecessors. That alone might change our perception of what we need.

Side note: I still think Altidore is the square peg in the round hole in terms of how this team wants to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I think we need a DM too but there's enough talent in the midfield right now (and guys that play 2-way) that we should be able to sort things out. Really what we've done is add three players who should be able to contribute more defensively than their predecessors. That alone might change our perception of what we need.

Side note: I still think Altidore is the square peg in the round hole in terms of how this team wants to play.
    you could theoretically envision a four man midfield of Cheyrou, Johnson, Osorio and Bradley where the last 3 do lots of running and leave cheyrou behind them to sweep up in front of a much improved back four. You could also theoretically see Giovinco and Altidore up top together with Altidore as a #9 and Seba having a basically free role under him. The whole formation would require Seba and Jozy to add a lot more to the team defensively than they did last year, but it's an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wouldn't get overly excited about Beitashour ... Vancouver basically walked away, they had tons of cap space after getting rid of Rosales and got nothing for him (2nd round picks usually spend their career in USL)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    wouldn't get overly excited about Beitashour ... Vancouver basically walked away, they had tons of cap space after getting rid of Rosales and got nothing for him (2nd round picks usually spend their career in USL)
    Wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    jus saying...it looks like they dont have any scouting.always spending 300 or 400 k for players.instead of scouting 150 200 k players..they have no speed on the wings.

completely agree. its like we just have a couple guys that watch MLS Live for our scouting staff.

Not saying that Vancouver is a good model, but Robinson has been in latin american since they got eliminated scouting his target list that he has been working on for the past 6 months. Does Bez even leave toronto other than to sign DPs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

completely agree. its like we just have a couple guys that watch MLS Live for our scouting staff.

Not saying that Vancouver is a good model, but Robinson has been in latin american since they got eliminated scouting his target list that he has been working on for the past 6 months. Does Bez even leave toronto other than to sign DPs.
    Again, wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree. Keeper is #1 priority.
    has anyone figured out if we have enough cap space to sign a decent keeper at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well we did have the discovery right for Techera whom they signed last season so I wouldn't suggest we are ignoring latin america.

I find that a lot of fans point to our lack of south american players as a flaw in our scouting system. I can rattle off a lot of latin american players we've had over the last few years (many of which were huge busts).

It's easy to point out a few great signings from other teams but it's just as easy to point out failed signings as well. Rivero for VWFC went very cold after a decent start.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, no.

Vancouver has what they consider a better RB. Beitashour is a bit of money for a RB for most teams. There was limited demand. Thus, the 2nd round pick. Go ask VCWC supporters what they think of this deal - its mixed feelings. They are giving up on a quality RB for a newcomer who is rated well but not really known.

Regardless, he's an upgrade on Bloom and Jackson and Creavalle and Hagglund and Williams and anybody else who played RB in 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Regardless, he's an upgrade on Bloom and Jackson and Creavalle and Hagglund and Williams and anybody else who played RB in 2015.
    Unless I'm forgetting someone, would he not be an upgrade on anybody who has played RB for us, ever?
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@samstejskal: Can confirm @KurtLarSUN's earlier report that TFC will acquire Will Johnson from PDX. Timbers receiving TAM, conditional 2017 2nd rounder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    @samstejskal: Can confirm @KurtLarSUN's earlier report that TFC will acquire Will Johnson from PDX. Timbers receiving TAM, conditional 2017 2nd rounder.
    Surprised that Portland didn't acquire Osorio in the deal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Kantari get traded now for a keeper? Do we keep Altidore?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Well we did have the discovery right for Techera whom they signed last season so I wouldn't suggest we are ignoring latin america.

I find that a lot of fans point to our lack of south american players as a flaw in our scouting system. I can rattle off a lot of latin american players we've had over the last few years (many of which were huge busts).

It's easy to point out a few great signings from other teams but it's just as easy to point out failed signings as well. Rivero for VWFC went very cold after a decent start.
    You can rattle them off if you want - by and large TFC is under represented in markets that are primary feeders of international talent to this league. I still find that concerning regardless of what transpires here (which has been overwhelmingly positive).

Other teams don't go to France and play 200+ for players they can get in SA or CA for less.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is staying.
    Kantari will be bought out.

There are are keeper options, TFC is just looking for the best one. There is still alottttttttt of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boom:

EWS: #TFC acquires Canadian international Will Johnson from @TimbersFC.Details → http://bit.ly/1NtNhOy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annnddddd now it's official.
    Time to write off 2016.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see !!

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is staying.
    Kantari will be bought out.

There are are keeper options, TFC is just looking for the best one. There is still alottttttttt of time.
    Not accurate, close though. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh reminds me of the times when we had at least 3 Canadians playing in the starting lineup, good to have another, and the Kid Canada himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Will Johnson: while my head wonders about formations my heart says "hell yes."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...et-record.html

"Petr Cech has completely changed Arsenal defence" We need our own cech

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frings22 View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...et-record.html

"Petr Cech has completely changed Arsenal defence" We need our own cech
    The day is still young.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me to understand this. We pick up two better than average players for second round picks. Did we fleece Vancouver and Portland, or are these players overrated?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    By attempting to play a possession based game speed on the wings is not the most important thing... Positioning and soccer IQ is what is required. If you want speed on the wings we need a target man to whip in the crosses into and Jozy is not player and for obvious reasons Seba is not that option.
    I don't see why people don't understand this. We're not playing traditional English football. Plenty of teams in Italy don't emphasize the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Help me to understand this. We pick up two better than average players for second round picks. Did we fleece Vancouver and Portland, or are these players overrated?
    Traditional TFC story line: The FO are morons and overpaid for over-rated players.

What's probably true now: Certain players are more valuable in certain systems. Our current acquisitions will excel in our possession-based system.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-18-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annnddddd now it's official.
    Time to write off 2016.
    Meaning you will be spending far too much time at BMO and ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Uh, no.

Vancouver has what they consider a better RB. Beitashour is a bit of money for a RB for most teams. There was limited demand. Thus, the 2nd round pick. Go ask VCWC supporters what they think of this deal - its mixed feelings. They are giving up on a quality RB for a newcomer who is rated well but not really known.

agree with most of your points.
    He is way better than what we had. is he top-5 RB in league, no (maybe 3 years ago and may get back to that form for part of the season)

All you are giving up is cap space, which hopefully doesn't impact who they can bring in at keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bingo Oldtimer and we should not be married to a diamond ship midfield either!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with all of this. Based on the last player union salaries we have ~144k more cap space right now then we did after the end of last season (after we buy out Kantari). Fitting a DM and a GK in at this point would be difficult, which tells me Vanney & Bez aren't looking for a DM. This is going to be our midfield this season. With Johnson and the added talent on the back line, it should translate into less goals against. The balance in midfield will be the key to how far we can go.

Probably sent a portion of the 500k initial TAM to Portland. We still have a bunch left to be used, I'm guessing on the keeper we will sign. And we can always move a CB if we really need to to make some space later down the line.

Fantastic start to this offseason, it has to be said.