Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2016 Away Jersey (no longer speculation thread)

Been quite slow on the boards lately and it seems every thread that is started turns into an Argos related shit show.

So, in the spirit of getting us talking tfc, who's got info on the new away jersey?

I think they'll go light grey (think year one) for nostalgia's sake. It is the 10 year anniversary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want a plain black jersey with red accents, think it could come off really well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that knocked it out of the park with the last one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I want a plain black jersey with red accents, think it could come off really well
    You really can't go wrong with black and red but it'd look too much like DC United's strips imo. There probably won't be any big surprises... onyx, grey or white most likely.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onyx with a red diagonal stripe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always liked the AC Milan and now Atlanta Unitd design of jerseys. Red and Black with vertical stripes. Could be awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Onyx with a red diagonal stripe.
    That would be bad ass. Might be too creative for the adidas intern who spends ten minutes designing the new shirts for the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

River Plate have a nice 3rd jersey

and their away is nice too

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I like those! For a 10th season alternate, I like the idea of going back to a light grey that the OP suggested. I'm assuming along the lines of our first practice top? That would work well, and look pretty cool lined up with our red and onyx kits.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    ^ I like those! For a 10th season alternate, I like the idea of going back to a light grey that the OP suggested. I'm assuming along the lines of our first practice top? That would work well, and look pretty cool lined up with our red and onyx kits.
    I was thinking the light grey from the away jersey.

I was thinking the light grey from this jersey.

We used it in 2006 and 2007.
    Last edited by David_Oliveira; 01-18-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ For some reason, I had completely forgotten the first away tops were also grey. I don't know why I only thought of the grey practise top.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-18-2016 at 05:38 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post

and their away is nice too
    Who are we, DCU? Nein!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case anyone is interested; here's our home, away, and alternate shirts from the past:

Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-18-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really like the 2011-12 home kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate a player/memory with every year's jersey except for the 2013 "Mariner" year with Professor No-pants......just terrible.....I own either a home or away from each year, and that was the only year of TFC's existence that I had no name on the back of my shirt.....
    07-08 - Dichio, Robbo
    09 - DeRo red
    10 - DeRo white
    11 - Frings red
    12 - Frings white
    13 - blank
    14 - Bradley
    15 - Giovinco

For this year's away jersey, onyx with a red sash (diagonal stripe) as others mentioned would look great imo......and they should make a 3rd just for this year....grey throwback to Season 1.....
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 01-18-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring back the pink jersey!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    i was kinda hoping the impact would've gone with blue and pink when they came into the league, but fuck that.
    why change it up when you could have a white away kit like 80% of the league?

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post

yes please. the other one, not so much. sashes are the galaxies thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually by the picture above showing the evolution of TFC jersey's the away jersey is not going to change this season, but the home jersey is going to change.... Adidas in North America goes on a two season cycle for jerseys unlike everywhere else in the world where they change annually.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on that note, let me again rant on brand recognition. the league sorely lacks it.

5 of the leagues 20 teams have red as their primary colour.
    6 of the leagues 20 teams have blue as their primary colour.
    2 teams have colours not being used elsewhere in the league (houston and orlando).

if you were to look at unmarked kits, the only ones that would be easily identifiable by traits are the galaxy sash, the seattle green, the orlando purple and the philly whateverthefuckthatthingisithinkitsevilajax. chivas used to have the stripes, dallas used to have the hoops. all i want is some sort of consistency in kits that can build some sort of recognition. you know when you're looking at an aston villa, arsenal, newcastle, sunderland, etc. kit because they're all made variations of the same idea.

although i wasn't a fan of it, even this had something going for it in terms of a serviceable aesthetic:

it was something you could build on. something you could have around for a few seasons and then make a variation to and have them sold the next. instead they completely switched it up because the league feels it needs to. for those of you who say "well, they're making them different enough to sell jersey's every season", allow me to show you a variation of one of the best selling jersey's in the world:

and before you run off saying that it's an unfair comparison to make, first explain how a shirt can sell so well one season, and sell just as well the next when the only modifications to it are the collar and the cuffs. i know we don't have the brand recognition of real madrid, i'm not even going to pretend for the arguments sake that we do, but consistency can still sell!! /rant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Actually by the picture above showing the evolution of TFC jersey's the away jersey is not going to change this season, but the home jersey is going to change.... Adidas in North America goes on a two season cycle for jerseys unlike everywhere else in the world where they change annually.
    its the other way around.....going on the usual 2 year cycle, away should change this year and home no.....we've had the onyx for 2 years now.....the graphic is missing 2015 season.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes it will. the two year cycle runs on alternating years for us. away one year, home the next. the black kit's been around since defoe signed last year, and through this year as well, meaning this season we're due for a new away kit (followed by a new home kit next season). personally i think it's a smart business strategy and i don't know why more teams don't adopt it. you're always giving fans something new to buy, and if it flops you've got a season to give them something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    its the other way around.....going on the usual 2 year cycle, away should change this year and home no.....we've had the onyx for 2 years now.....the graphic is missing 2015 season.....
    Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    yes it will. the two year cycle runs on alternating years for us. away one year, home the next. the black kit's been around since defoe signed last year, and through this year as well, meaning this season we're due for a new away kit (followed by a new home kit next season). personally i think it's a smart business strategy and i don't know why more teams don't adopt it. you're always giving fans something new to buy, and if it flops you've got a season to give them something else.
    My bad... I thought that photo of the evolution was completely uptodate

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bad... I thought that photo of the evolution was completely uptodate
    it's an easy mistake to make. i forget what year it was but MLS stepped in and mandated when clubs were allowed to switch their kits sometime in the past decade. timelines like the one posted there are all mucked up for teams across the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with consistency, but only for the Home jersey. For the away any color could be considered.

For Example some of the past away jerseys for the following teams: from the past few years:

Juventus: Blue, Yellow, Green, and now Pink
    Real Madrid: Grey, Navy, Black with dragon, yellow
    Barcelona: Yellow Highlighter, Orange Highlighter
    Napoli: Yellow, Camouflage, Denim, Red

I really enjoyed the Onyx one. I would love to see one similar to the Black/Red River Plate one above OR if they went with a totally different color (for example the same blue in Toronto's flag).

(Note: For National teams consistency for both home and away is my preference)

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't mind seeing that Eagle on our 3rd uniform somewhere. Make it like the maple leaf was a few years ago, as the sweat stain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcp-ip View Post
    I agree with consistency, but only for the Home jersey. For the away any color could be considered.

For Example some of the past away jerseys for the following teams: from the past few years:

Juventus: Blue, Yellow, Green, and now Pink
    Real Madrid: Grey, Navy, Black with dragon, yellow
    Barcelona: Yellow Highlighter, Orange Highlighter
    Napoli: Yellow, Camouflage, Denim, Red

I really enjoyed the Onyx one. I would love to see one similar to the Black/Red River Plate one above OR if they went with a totally different color (for example the same blue in Toronto's flag).

(Note: For National teams consistency for both home and away is my preference)
    It's really too bad that third kits aren't allowed by MLS anymore. Would have been a good opportunity to gauge reactions to some of the more "experimental" colours/patterns. I doubt TFC/Adidas will do anything risky... probably back to the ol' grey or white.

Would be fun to see something crazy though, like the infamous Liverpool third kits from a couple years back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    It's really too bad that third kits aren't allowed by MLS anymore. Would have been a good opportunity to gauge reactions to some of the more "experimental" colours/patterns. I doubt TFC/Adidas will do anything risky... probably back to the ol' grey or white.

Would be fun to see something crazy though, like the infamous Liverpool third kits from a couple years back.

Why aren't third kits allowed anymore?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Why aren't third kits allowed anymore?!
    Probably just because the teams that had them didn't sell enough? Merritt Paulson tweeted about it a while back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    I still have my signed game worn Cronin and Robinson pink jerseys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    Probably just because the teams that had them didn't sell enough? Merritt Paulson tweeted about it a while back.
    They probably don't sell well because third kits are almost always disgustingly awful.